• Published 29th Jul 2017
  • 3,155 Views, 63 Comments

Cold Scales - Konatra



A chance encounter with an ancient hunter lurking in the Everfree became the catalyst for the biggest change in Equestria. It is up to Spines the Dragoness to lead her home into a war unlike anything seen in history.

  • ...
10
 63
 3,155

Making History

At exactly 7:00 AM when the sun began to really warm up the high mountain city of Canterlot, the guardsmen called out to the residents from high and low. The King has called out a sudden and important meeting and has asked for everyone to come to the palace grounds to see. He even suggested those with jobs take a paid day off assuming the job wasn't an important task. With that thousands showed up, young to small, Earth pony to Pegasus, and even some ingenious species.

If it was Solaris himself who declared the massive assembly then it must be important. Many feared some kind of threat to be revealed since no big celebration was nearing this day...or maybe the King had another secret brother who was just reformed...actually that was pretty possible at this point. Even Artemis was standing around the low balcony looking a bit tired from having to delay his after-work nap. Whatever this was it must be something big.

The citizens below rumbled with their voices combined but it all came to a near-immediate silence when the Lord of the Sun himself appeared from the low balcony overlooking the massive crowd. Solaris looked around the mass once and nodded in satisfaction at the staggering amount, he needed as many beings as possible to witness this in person.

In the dead silence among thousands, only his voice rung clearly to all. "I welcome you all here today for a very urgent matter but I truly apologize for suddenly stripping you away from your daily routine." He could see some faces stiffen when he mentioned an 'urgent matter'. Instead of prolonging the point with a long and drawn-out speech he wanted to cut this tension right now. "Equestria is in grave danger from a foreign threat, unlike anything our planet has seen. Our way of living, no, our very existence has been put on the line!" Now some ponies had to sit as their legs gave out and others began panicking. "Our enemy comes in millions if not more and can easily overrun our defenses with little effort...alone we cannot hope to survive this evil..." The horrified faces looked back at him in hundreds, they are scared which is good, it meant they were taking this seriously. Now it was time to bring them back.

"Which is a good thing we are not alone." The faces looked up to him in confusion, then to his side two armored bipedal soldiers came to the King's side. The crowd began to mutter at the unknown nature of the metallic beings. "A friendly force from beyond the starts has decided to help us take on this 'Void'. Their forces are far more powerful than we can imagine, their technology far outmatches ours and even when we are considered insignificant in their eyes they still chose to help us every-way they can because they are heroes." Two of the large Elite units came lumbering in holding up a metal glowing cage big enough for an elephant. The ponies below could see an even more disturbing figure than the alien metal creatures.

The Elites dropped the cage for the ponies up front to see. One Elite pulled out a large metal ball form its massive shroud and tossed it into the air. It continued to rise up until stopping above the crowd. The ball opened to reveal a lens that projected a blue holographic image of the savage creature within.

Solaris could hear the shocked reactions and terrified screams. The demon called a Blood Shifter growled an unholy sound that caused some of the ponies with weak constitutions to cover their ears and close their eyes. Some ponies outright began leaving the crowd. The Shifter made quite a show in appearing like a savage beast to the public. "This is only an insignificant bit of the brutal nature of the enemy, this creature is the weakest in the 'Spawn' hierarchy." The Elites received an order from their commander and took the cage back with them. With the demon gone the crowd began to relax just a bit better than before. "From what you can see our allies are very able to defend us but they need our help as well. For now, I have made a treaty with the Queen of these friendly forces and it is up to us to keep these friendly ties with them. To explain this pact I will now turn your attention to Queen Carbon of the 'Unity' army." He took a step back to allow Carbon the full stage.

All around she could hear the murmurs of disbelief and awe sent her way with her advanced audio sensors. Her bright green eyes glimmered among the crowd. Her voice came out enhanced through her speakers that gave out a metallic tone that did well to hide her identity. "Citizens of Equestria. I come in peace and goodwill, a long sitting evil prepares at this very moment to overrun your peaceful land and I will not stand idle and watch it burn. I ask for nothing more than respect, my loyal soldiers will work tirelessly to protect you all and in return, I need your cooperation to listen to orders given in the event of an attack." She had to reveal the biggest point of fear to them now. "The Everfree Forest is the epicenter of this atrocity and that means Ponyville is at major risk." The sounds of shock flooded her ears. "I suggest if any of you have family or friends there that you send a letter of warning to them asking them to prepare or leave if possible. Know that Ponyville takes priority at the moment so my defensive strategy begins there and now."

As she said this the sound of shrieking sliced through the skies. Above ponies could see other black figures flying through the air like bullets. The large ones flew slower than the rest as they held up massive black cubes with them. They all seemed aimed for Ponyville. "My forces are strong but at the moment limited and small, if you are to survive and us be victorious we must cooperate together in a Unity that will last the ages. For now, I must oversee preparations for war so I leave you back in the hands of your grand ruler Solaris, thank you for your time." Feeling satisfied with her brief speech, Carbon's wings popped open in all their glory to the masses and like a warrior sent from the heavens, she bolted out into the air following her armies to conduct the strengthening of Ponyville.

Solaris took back his place and met his people. "This is a dark time for us and with their forces we can get out of it but know we won't be putting it all on them, no we must raise ourselves to combat the enemy. For now, the Royal Guard will be reformatted as the Spawn Attack Unit or an S.A.U. We will learn the weaknesses of the enemy and become a fighting force able to support our allies..." Now the people looked less grim if not rattled but he could also see the hope burning in them. "I ask that you do as you will now, go to work or to your families, make plans if you wish for there is no telling when these days of calm may come to an end. I am Solaris, Lord of the Sun, and know that we will not be destroyed we will survive this and we will put an end to it!" With that thunderous applause rumbled the ground as ponies stomped at the words of Solaris.

Satisfied he nodded once and returned to his chambers. He had a very important letter to write his star pupil.

His sister was coming home...not like he was going to tell him that yet.