• Published 2nd Mar 2018
  • 1,932 Views, 13 Comments

Sine Qua Non - Android



Spitfire falls in love with a god.

  • ...
3
 13
 1,932

IV. The G'lamour in the Gala

Virgil stiffened as Celestia finished the knot in his cravat. The scowl had become an even more permanent part of his façade ever since she learned that he was attending the Gala with Spitfire and company. And almost on cue, he quickly returned to locking himself away in his tower, studying his new red star, only emerging to entertain Spitfire, Soarin, and Fleetfoot when they dropped by. Still, Celestia couldn’t complain. The three pegasi did manage to get the human out for the night.

“You know, I could have done this myself.” He muttered.

“Oh, relax and let your mother be a mother for one last night.” She retorted, tidying up the knot with one final flourish. His suit was something special, tailor made for the Gala by the palace’s own seamstresses. Black overcoat with red highlights, accompanied by a red vest and red cravat all seated over a white undershirt. Overall, she thought he looked quite handsome.

“There’s supposed to be another meteor shower tonight.” He said.

“So?”

“I was hoping to get the chance to study it.”

She sighed. “You really must learn to simply see things rather than study them. You take the life out of, well, life that way.”

“I fail to see the distinction you’re trying to make here.”

She sighed, running her magic through the fabric of the suit one final time, ironing out any wrinkles and removing any stray hairs. Her eyes focused into his chest. She felt a forlorn expression creep onto her face before swiftly banishing it. Now was not the time.

“I’ve walked this world for thousands of years, Virgil. Now you may not live long enough to learn this yourself so just, as a mother, please trust me and take my advice on this. Some things in this world simply are. No amount of study will ever properly explain them. You just have to see the world for what it is in the moment. Without trying to understand it. See the painting for the picture and not just the colors and brush strokes upon the canvas. If you don’t, some of the best things in life will pass you right on by.”

He stayed silent before relaxing his form and straightening his collar. “This your way of telling me to have fun tonight?”

“The best I can. There will be other meteor showers to study. For now, I think you should take the time to enjoy the night for what it is. You’ll rarely get one as magical as this.”

“I’d hardly consider a fancy dinner dance a form of magic.”

She exhaled. “You’ll be with your friends on a beautiful night in a beautiful place. It won’t get much more magical than that.”

“If you say so.”

“Just… promise me you’ll try to have fun tonight? Especially with Spitfire. Please? For me?”

He sighed. “I don’t know what you expect to happen but fine… I’ll try my best. But no guarantees.”

She rolled her eyes and muttered under her breath. “Stubbornness must be a universal human trait.”

Virgil perked up. “What was that?”

“Nothing.”

“No, you mentioned humans just now.”

She sighed. “I did.”

“Did… did you ever know any others? Other than me? Or was I the first?”

She lowered her head, her horn dimming and her magic dissipating away from his suit. She turned and walked towards the open window. Down below, the lights of the gala began to illuminate the night and the distant sound of laughing voices tickled the tower’s walls. She leaned against the sill and sighed.

In the distance, a red star glowed, the first of many that would be coming in the night as the moon and its mare shaped scar began to rise. She exhaled.

With the amount of time left this time, there would be little harm in telling him a little something.

“You weren’t the first human I’ve ever met. Nor was your species confined to mythology as previously thought.”

“Are there others? Of my kind in the world?”

“I don’t know. I doubt I ever will. You came from the sky, fell like a shooting star in a curtain of flames… just like all the others.”

“Others? What others?”

“You should go freshen up.”

“No.”

She turned and sighed. He wasn’t using his powers now, but even without them, she knew she couldn’t refuse his next request.

“Virgil-” She started.

He held up a hand. “Just… tell me. Who were they?”

She sighed and turned back to the window. How would she word this? He wanted the truth, or at least some version of it. Some of it perhaps. All she could do was be honest with him. He deserved that much.

“They were like you.” She answered. “Intelligent, brash at times, but always kind and always powerful.”

“They had my abilities?”

She nodded. “Yes, it appears to be a common trait amongst you. Your first counterpart was certainly quite a… handful as you’d put it. But… it got easier with the others.”

“How many were there?”

“Five before you. You’re number six.”

“What… what happened to them?”

“What do you mean?”

“Did they die? Did they leave to find any others like me? What happened to them?”

“No, uh.” She sighed. “They lived their lives and died… I guess what you’d consider naturally for them.”

He nodded and stared at the floor. “So, when was the last time you had a human around?”

Celestia turned and glanced up at the moon. “About a thousand years ago.”

“I see…”

She turned and walked to the door, pulling it open with her magic.

“You should get going. Your friends will be here soon.”

He turned. “The others… did they ever have families?”

“Families?”

“Husbands, wives, kids, any of them get that far?” He fiddled with his hands.

She paused before nodding with a smile. “Yes, quite a few of them actually.”

“Were they… were they happy?”

“Yes. Quite. I recall they enjoyed their time here quite fondly.”

He nodded and straightened his coat. “Can you tell me more about them? After tonight’s over?”

“Of course, sweetie.”

“Thank you.”

“Come on. Your friends are waiting for you and I have guests to entertain.”

She ushered him out with a wing before following. She gently closed the door to his room behind them, watching as he continued down the hallway. She glanced out a nearby window at the ominous red star in the sky.

She hoped, prayed even, that he would enjoy this night as much as possible. Some final good memories to give him and leave them with. There wasn’t much time left. He’d figure it out soon enough. Just like the others.

Celestia straightened her posture before galloping down the hall to catch up to him. Soon, they entered the main wing of the castle, the din of the various guests and their conversations began to reach them. Soon the main staircase was in sight.

She paused, waiting out of sight as Virgil walked down the steps. She watched from afar as he swam through the crowds of ponies and other creatures towards the edge of the ballroom and the doors leading out to the garden. Three well-dressed pegasi stood waiting. She smiled as she watched him break out into a jog and join his friends.

Soon the four disappeared out into the garden away from the inside crowds, out to join others their age.

She took a deep breath. Perhaps he would hate her for not telling him everything. If so, she could live with that. Some of the others did. But at least here, like his predecessors, she could give him some final good memories to go by.

Before fate and circumstance returned to take him away.

Comments ( 4 )

I'm liking this story, good work. Better than me anyway.

A short and sweet chapter, this has earned a favorite from me. :twilightsmile:

Living this story so far! Can't wait to see where it goes!

Login or register to comment