• Published 12th Mar 2017
  • 8,956 Views, 1,391 Comments

Yes, My Lady - Tatsurou



Scootaloo must step into her inheritance, protecting Equestria from devious criminals and dark conspiracies alike, all while staying close to her friends. Thankfully, she's got the help of one devil of a butler.

  • ...
15
 1,391
 8,956

Chapter 24

It didn't take long for Scootaloo and Sebastian to return to Ponyville, and when they arrived they found turmoil. Ponies seemed to be rushing here and there babbling about something or other, all of which preceded by asking whoever they'd just approached 'Did you hear?' Recognizing that this would simply be the usual rumors - which would have about as much resemblance to the reality of the situation as a reflection in a funhouse mirror - a different approach would be needed to determine what was going on and the appropriate course of action. "Can you see Pinkie Pie?" Scootaloo asked Sebastian intently. If anypony in Ponyville was certain to know what was going on here, it would be the party planner who kept records of everything that happened to everyone in Ponyville. Scootaloo had once suggested to her father that the mare should be recruited as an information source for Wingshadow, but had been told she - amongst four other Ponyville citizens - were among those Wingshadow wasn't supposed to touch, under orders from Princess Celestia. In hindsight, that made perfect sense.

Sebastian took a quick glance around. "I do not see her," he responded firmly. "She may be out of town, or involved elsewhere in whatever's going on, or in something else...like a monster attack or friendship problem."

"Well we don't have a half hour to wait," Scootaloo grumbled. "Your ears are better than mine. Listen to everything people are saying and see if you can notice a common name or place. Somewhere we can begin."

"Filthy Rich," Sebastian responded immediately. "The rumors vary wildly, but they all mention him in some way, shape, or form."

"Do you see Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, Apple Bloom, or Sweetie Belle?" Scootaloo demanded intently. "If it's something to do with Filthy Rich, Diamond will know what's up, and one of those three is bound to know where she is."

"All four are just outside the hospital," Sebastian stated calmly in response, his raptor gaze having locked onto the group of four even before Scootaloo had made her demand.

"Get me over there," Scootaloo stated firmly, climbing onto Sebastian's back.

Sebastian immediately leapt into the air, giving a quick flap of his wings as he ducked between flying pegasi, moving carts, and walking ponies, expertly finding every gap he could slip them through and making excellent time. Scootaloo found herself somewhat irritable that Sebastian was showing up Rainbow Dash in the air, but quickly discarded the emotion as unimportant to the situation. As she clambered off Sebastian's back, she saw Diamond Tiara was red eyed from weeping and tense with worry. Silver Spoon was pressed tight to her side, plainly trying to offer comfort. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle were close, watching her worriedly, but perked up as Scootaloo and Sebastian arrived. "Scoot!" Apple Bloom called out in relief. "Have ya heard?"

"Only that something happened, and it has something to do with Mr. Rich," Scootaloo responded immediately. "I didn't want to take anything else random gossip said at face value. So what happened?"

"D...Daddy had an accident..." Diamond Tiara sobbed brokenly. "I...I don't know anymore than that. The...the doctors said he won't wake up...and as soon as they said that, Daddy's lawyer stepped in and said nobody could come into his room! Mom's throwing a fuss...but he wouldn't even let me in! Why would his lawyer have more authority than Mom?"

"Nobody at all?" Scootaloo asked in surprise. "Not even doctors?"

"Just Dad's personal physician," Diamond Tiara continued, managing to get control of herself by focusing on the questions. "He's part of the house staff, worked for Dad since before he married. Mom doesn't like him, but he's always been nice to me..." Noticing Sebastian there, her eyes widened. "But...he also said you could come in, Sebastian sir. The lawyer, that is. You and...the authority you represent?" There was plainly a question in her eyes.

Sebastian raised an eyebrow. "Oh?" he asked carefully. "In that case, you'll need to excuse us. We need to go in there." Nodding, Scootaloo turned to lead the way.

"Wait!" Diamond called out worriedly, making Scootaloo stop. Sebastian stopped with her. "How...how do you know Daddy? Why would his lawyer say you could go in? What authority? You...you're just a substitute teacher...aren't you?"

"Sebastian and your father were both part of...something bigger," Scootaloo offered carefully. "I'm part of it too. If your Dad's lawyer says only Sebastian and those he represents can see him in this state...then things aren't what they seem. We can't say more than that yet." Without another word, she led the way into the hospital.

It wasn't difficult to find Filthy Rich's hospital room. Spoiled Rich was standing right outside it, shrieking like a banshee as an older unicorn stallion with a gray coat, orange mane and tail, bronze eyes, and a Cutie Mark of a set of scales wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase stood firmly between her and the door. Scootaloo didn't even need to hear her words to know she was trying to strong arm her way past the lawyer...who was standing patiently as a wall between her and where she wanted to go and otherwise ignoring her.

Sebastian walked up to the lawyer. "Excuse me, I understand I am wanted? I am Sebastian."

"And just what makes you think you can-"

The unicorn's horn glowed, and a zipper appeared out of nowhere to seal Spoiled's lips. "I'll need some verification," he murmured softly. "I can't just take your word for it."

Nodding, Sebastian reached into his coat and pulled out a small image of the Wingshadow crest, keeping it between himself and anyone but the unicorn who asked.

The lawyer nodded calmly. "I'm Balanced Scales," he greeted, firmly but quietly so only Sebastian heard. "Call me Scales. Step inside. I have firm instructions regarding this situation, and I'm to let you and...your superior...examine him before carrying the rest of them out. Are they here?"

Sebastian glanced Scootaloo's way. Nodding, Scales shifted to let the pair enter, once again ignoring Spoiled Rich's protests.

Filthy Rich lay on his side on the hospital bed, a wound to the back of his head carefully bandaged and tubes going in his mouth, nose, and foreleg. Sebastian moved forward carefully, examining Filthy as the vital monitors beeped the steady cadence of the still living. Peeling back the bandage, however, he froze. "Something wrong, Sebastian?" Scootaloo asked carefully.

"...I think I recognize the nature of this wound," he offered calmly. "However, if I am right...the strike is far too careful for who I know to wield the weapon to have done so. He has never been concerned with neatness..."

"You think you know who did it?" Scootaloo demanded firmly.

"...I have an educated guess," Sebastian corrected. "However, it assumes nothing in this world duplicates what I know. ...do you know of a tool called a chainsaw?"

Scootaloo shook her head. "Can't say I've ever heard of one. What is it?"

"...something we must be wary of..."