• Published 12th Mar 2017
  • 8,956 Views, 1,391 Comments

Yes, My Lady - Tatsurou



Scootaloo must step into her inheritance, protecting Equestria from devious criminals and dark conspiracies alike, all while staying close to her friends. Thankfully, she's got the help of one devil of a butler.

  • ...
15
 1,391
 8,956

Chapter 36

Scootaloo, Blueblood, and Sebastian slowly made their way towards Sweet Apple Acres. Blueblood kept glancing between Scootaloo and Sebastion in confusion. "You want my little brother...to be trained by your butler?" he finally asked firmly.

"You really think anyone working for House Wingshadow is exactly what they appear?" Scootaloo countered with a smug smirk.

"Fair enough," Blueblood allowed. "But if he's so skilled, why is he your butler?"

"You mean why would I want the servant who literally goes everywhere with me to have unparalleled combat skills after what happened to the House?" Scootaloo countered darkly.

Blueblood blinked in surprise. "...fair enough," he allowed again as he turned that over in his mind. He had wondered why Scootaloo, after such an event, still eschewed any bodyguards. Apparently she'd just chosen to eschew obvious bodyguards. Still, it would not be long before he saw exactly how capable this Sebastian was.

Before long, the trio reached Sweet Apple Acres, where the thrum of magic could be heard echoing through the air from within the barn. Following that sound, they found Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Diamond Tiara, and Silver Spoon watching in awe as magic swords floated through the air around Bluebottle before striking out at Granny Smith. Granny simply flicked out with her cane in response to the approach of each blade of magic, deflecting or disrupting them without getting up from her rocking chair or even looking half the time. "Ya gotta work on the sound," she instructed firmly. "Summoned blades do ya no good if'n yer foe hears 'em come in."

"H-how do I do that?" Bluebottle asked as he strained to keep all the blades going exactly where he wanted them to at once.

"How should ah know?" Granny countered. "Ah ain't a unicorn! All ah know about unicorn magic is how ta break it! Look it up!" She turned to see the trio entering. "Well howdy there!" she greeted warmly as she deflected another blade.

"How's he doing?" Blueblood asked curiously.

"Not bad," Granny confirmed. "Got 150 blades of various sizes and shapes goin' at once, and that's impressive since he ain't lost any. Still, ah don' think ah can take him much further in th' way ya want him ta go. Ya want him ta learn ta protect, but mah style was never what ye might call 'defensive'."

"Offensive, then?" Blueblood asked hopefully. "And he can learn to defend by blocking you?"

"Nah, that ain't the word fer it," Granny corrected.

"What is then?" Sebastian asked curiously as Bluebottle lunged in, trying to take advantage of a distraction.

Granny's cane lashed out, striking a point just below Bluebottle's rib cage that caused him to collapse to the ground, chocking and grasping at his chest. "Lethal," Granny explained as Bluebottle's struggles quickly ended. "That there is a pressure point that locks the diaphragm. Put enough strength and magic inta it, and it stays locked till the body dies o' lack of oxygen, and leaves no evidence. Cause o' death reads as 'stopped breathing'. I only gave ya a few seconds ta teach ya not ta overextend."

"I-I understand, Sensei," Bluebottle gasped out after drawing in a huge breath. "I won't fail you again."

"I see what you mean," Scootaloo spoke up. "He needs someone who can fight to dominate - rather than to kill - to teach him how to protect himself in combat."

"Ah know a few fellas that might be able ta help," Granny observed as she let her chair rock back and forth. "Unless ya got a better idea? Not sure how ah feel about callin' them in..."

"There's no need," Scootaloo responded immediately. "Sebastian will handle that role."

Granny's eyebrow went up, and she let out a wicked cackle. "Lookin' forward to it!" she declared eagerly.

Bluebottle settled himself as he turned towards Sebastian. "I won't let my dearest down," he stated firmly as he let most of his blades dissipate, focusing on just a few near his own body.

Scootaloo's eyes widened. She hadn't realized it at the time since she was too focused on the fact Bluebottle was choking, but even while his diaphragm was locked he was maintaining nearly all the magic blades he'd conjured to try and attack Granny. "I don't believe you can," she murmured in awe.

"His focus and determination is certainly of note, My Lady," Sebastian agreed.

"Are you prepared, Sebastian?" Scootaloo asked him calmly.

Sebastian smiled as he reached into his doublet and pulled out a rapier. "A Wingshadow butler who isn't prepared for everything isn't worth his salt."

Diamond Tiara looked stunned. "Salt?" she asked disapprovingly.

"Serves a different purpose for griffons," Blueblood spoke up. "Back in the days of their empire, soldiers on long trips were given salt rations due to losing a great deal of the necessary nutrient from the strenuous aerial march. Of course, salt in those quantities is difficult to safely store and transport, especially without magic...so soldiers were only sent on such trips if they could carry themselves and support the unit well enough to warrant the investment. Thus the phrase 'being worth one's salt'."

"How interesting!" Sweetie squeaked excitedly, plainly enthralled by the historical tidbit.

Sebastian moved into position in front of Bluebottle. "Your lesson begins. Are you ready?"

"I a-"

Before Bluebottle could finish his words, Sebastian's blade lashed out, almost reaching his throat before a magic blade took shape in the path to deflect it, resulting only in his doublet being cut. "Lesson one," Sebastian began, "the enemy will not wait for you to be ready." He proceeded with a flurry of strikes that no physical blade would have been able to counter.

Bluebottle quickly dropped focus on the blades he had, now conjuring 'spot blades' to deflect each incoming strike. He was panting a bit, but he was still fighting. His eyes widened and blades spun in front of his face to deflect the dirt and hay Sebastian had sent towards his eyes with a flick of his tail tip.

"Lesson two, the enemy will not fight fair," Sebastian continued before leaping into the air, kicking off a wall for extra height before lunging down blade first at an angle outside Bluebottle's line of sight.

Bluebottle rolled to the side, conjuring blades to lock Sebastian's sword in the ground. "Ha-" He cut off his laughter as he rolled out of the way of Sebastian's slashing talons.

"Lesson three, never underestimate the enemy's available weaponry," Sebastian concluded. "Remember these lessons, and you just might survive."

"I won't forget," Bluebottle panted as he moved his magic blades closer to his body in a defensive pattern.

"May I retrieve my sword?" Sebastian asked courteously.

Bluebottle almost instinctively started to move his blades away from the sword, then stopped. "You have other weapons," he countered firmly. "Besides...you're still 'the enemy'."

Sebastian chuckled softly. "Too right," he confirmed as he flexed his wrists, clutching silver knives and forks between his talons. "Now dodge." He began throwing them at Bluebottle.

As the match became more intense as Sebastian slowly upped his pace, the only comment came from Scootaloo.

"That better not be the good silver! That set's a family heirloom!"