• Published 12th Mar 2017
  • 8,950 Views, 1,391 Comments

Yes, My Lady - Tatsurou



Scootaloo must step into her inheritance, protecting Equestria from devious criminals and dark conspiracies alike, all while staying close to her friends. Thankfully, she's got the help of one devil of a butler.

  • ...
15
 1,391
 8,950

Chapter 13

"Fiance?" Apple Bloom demanded in shock. "Scoot, how the hay do you have a fiance at yer age?"

"I'm nobility," Scootaloo pointed out flatly. "Really, this isn't as big of a deal as you make it out to be."

"Is she always this excitable?" Bluebottle asked curiously.

"Normally Sweetie's the excitable one," Scootaloo admitted.

"What's that got to do with-"

"Oh!" Sweetie interrupted Apple Bloom's ravings. "Rarity talked about this! The nobility do a lot of arranged marriages. Something about bloodlines, didn't really understand it." She then turned full on to Scootaloo. "But you said you were a Countess! Even if Wingshadow House is super duper important, I thought that was shadow importance! How'd you land a prince?"

"Well you see-" Bluebottle began.

"No one else would take him," Scootaloo snarked mischievously.

Bluebottle put on a rather forlorn expression. "Your words, my love, though barbed and wounding...are regrettably accurate."

"Regrettably?" Scootaloo joked. "Bluebottle, you bragged about what you called the first filly that was presented to you. What was it? An..."

"An overdressed, over-pampered, over-primped spoiled brat with an over-inflated sense of her own importance and significance, shaped by egotistical uncaring parents into little more than a tool for their own social endeavors until any semblance of productive contribution to society had been squashed into non-existence leaving her little more than a dress-up doll for nobles who didn't know what it meant to be parents?" Bluebottle reminded her, smiling just a little.

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle's jaws dropped. "I...that wasn't even directed at me and I think I need some burn cream!" Sweetie Belle finally managed to squeak out.

Apple Bloom swallowed in surprise. "Okay, yeah, much as I can see yer point, I see why no one else would have ya." She turned to Scootaloo. "What ah don't understand is how you put up with him?"

The pegasus shrugged her shoulders, a smile shaping under her eyepatch. "Because he doesn't talk that way about me. Apparently, I'm the first 'young elite' he ever met who still had it in them to contribute to society, and thus was worth getting to know."

"And I'm apparently the only 'young elite' she'd ever met who wasn't so busy either looking down my nose at everyone or being a kiss-ass to look her in her eyes," Bluebottle supplied. "Her absolutely gorgeous eyes..." He turned a lovesick gaze towards Scootaloo, only to gasp in shock. "My love, what happened to your eye? Who has dared to mar your flawless visage?"

"Yer hardly one ta complain about her face when ya were punching it earlier," Apple Bloom pointed out, trying to steer the topic away from Scootaloo's eye since she knew it had something to do with what happened to Scootaloo's parents, a painful topic still.

"Only when she strikes the first blow!" Bluebottle insisted. "A gentlestallion must never strike the first blow against a lady, it is simply not proper." He smirked at Scootaloo. "But if the lady strikes the first blow, and said lady is the gentlestallion's betrothed...well, then it's just how young love manifests, so who is to complain?"

"Wait...you deliberately goaded her into punching you earlier just so you could wrestle with her?" Sweetie Belle gasped in shock.

"But of course!" Bluebottle pointed out. "For what other possible reason would I deliberately ignore a directive from my love in a manner that might upset her? I would never dream of deliberately upsetting her for no reason." He smiled at Apple Bloom. "Thanks for the tip about what not to discuss there, though. I'll keep it in mind." Apple Bloom grinned back.

Sweetie Belle then spoke up. "Okay, I've heard Rarity rant and rave about your older brother. If noble parents shape their kids so much, how come you turned out so different from him?"

Bluebottle chuckled dryly. "Actually, because of my big brother."

"EH?" Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle gasped in shock. Scootaloo rolled her eyes, having heard this before.

"You see, as soon as I was able to speak, Blueblood began a campaign to ensure specifically that I didn't turn out like him," the young Prince explained. "Where he will give fake platitudes in public and speak his mind in private, he made sure I would always speak my mind without holding back. Where he is obsessed with keeping himself immaculate to maintain the image of the perfect Prince, he encouraged me to run through every mud puddle I could find. Where..."

"You get the idea," Scootaloo interrupted, knowing Bluebottle would just continue to go on and on about this if he weren't stopped.

"Why?" Sweetie Belle asked curiously.

"I asked him that very thing once," Bluebottle admitted. "I'll never forget what he said that day..."


"Why?" Blueblood demanded in shock. "The answer is simple, brother dear. Because while turning out like me would be the best thing for the family, it would be the absolute worst thing for you. Don't you understand who and what I am?"

Bluebottle frowned thoughtfully. "My big brother?"

"Only to you," Blueblood responded with a smile. "But to everyone else, I am the Prince of Equestria...a useless noble twit, unmitigated ass, and a problem to be worked around with an unimpeachable position close to the throne."

"But...that's not you!" Bluebottle complained.

"Oh, it is," Blueblood admitted. "I know it. I own it. I am the perfect Prince our parents wanted. And so long as I am as I am, all I can do is enjoy what little freedom I have...to be an unmitigated ass." He chuckled softly, staring at his compass rose Cutie Mark. "When I was younger - not much younger than you are now - I dreamed of having a ship to sail, an ocean to sail upon, and a star to guide me...but our parents crushed those dreams out of me, for such things were not for the Heir to the House of Blue. The only way I can ever gain any freedom is if I were to claim a title of nobility independent of our family...which is why I courted that Sunset Shimmer mare Princess Celestia was teaching. She let slip something about becoming an alicorn, and I thought if I encouraged and helped her along that path she'd share the secret with me. As an Alicorn Prince...ah, but the chance - and the mare - is gone." He smiled down at Bluebottle. "So instead, I shall ensure you never lose your spirit of adventure, never lose your dreams...and always see me in a good light, so you'll come running back to me to tell me tales of all your great adventures, and I can enjoy a vicarious thrill through you enjoying the life I shall never have.

"So be brave, be honest, be true to yourself, never flinch from danger...and go out and cover yourself with valor and glory, so I can imagine what it must feel like as I listen to your tales."


Bluebottle smiled softly as he finished recounting that conversation. "He's done a lot to ensure I keep my adventurous streak," he concluded. "He even picks which mares he 'courts seriously' based on the ones who have younger siblings in my age group, and uses the 'courtship outings' as excuses to take me over to hang out."

Sweetie Belle's eyes popped. "You mean...Rarity would have had better luck snagging him if she'd brought me to the Gala?" she squeaked out.

Bluebottle grinned widely. "Oh absolutely! You three are exactly the sort he'd think was a good influence for me...the kind Mom and Dad would tear their hair out if they knew I was hanging around."

The fillies burst into peals of laughter at that, which the young colt soon joined in on.