• Published 12th Mar 2017
  • 8,954 Views, 1,391 Comments

Yes, My Lady - Tatsurou



Scootaloo must step into her inheritance, protecting Equestria from devious criminals and dark conspiracies alike, all while staying close to her friends. Thankfully, she's got the help of one devil of a butler.

  • ...
15
 1,391
 8,954

Chapter 31

Scootaloo didn't sleep that night. This wouldn't overly affect her, as she'd discovered she could easily go several nights without sleep if needed since she took over the family business. However, the emotional toll would be another story. She had spent the next hour holding Diamond Tiara as she cried herself to sleep, and the rest of the night into pre-dawn trying to figure out how she could explain things to the pink filly so she wouldn't blame herself without giving away any secrets she had promised to keep. Despite all her efforts, she couldn't think of one on her own.

As she saw pre-dawn light starting to fill the window, she decided to try something different. If keeping Diamond Tiara from blaming herself was impossible, then the goal should instead be helping her move past it. That she was pretty certain she had a way to do. The first step would be talking her around, getting her to see that wallowing in self-recrimination would do no good. After that, she would need some way to keep her pleasantly distracted during the day so she'd enjoy herself, helping her to forget her guilt long enough to let go of it. For the latter, she would need some help. She made a mental note to ask the girls, Sebastian, and maybe even Granny Smith for help coming up with a way to do that, assuming that didn't take care of itself.

As she reached this conclusion, she saw Diamond starting to stir. "Never pegged you for an early riser," she whispered so as not to wake the others. "The rooster's not even up yet."

"...didn't really sleep well," Diamond admitted sadly. "I..." She then blinked, noticing how wakeful Scootaloo seemed. "Didn't you sleep?"

"Spent the whole night thinking," Scootaloo answered readily. "Diamond, listen...I'm not going to lie to you. Spoiled didn't care about you to begin with. She wasn't doing what she did to get control of you. She did it to get control of your Dad's estate so she could continue enjoying 'her place' in the social order. You were just a pawn to her in that. You shouldn't blame yourself for what she did. It was Filthy Rich who made the decision to act to protect you from her. And with what I heard from the Will reading, your Dad was willing to do whatever it took, make any sacrifice, if it meant taking care of and protecting you." She leaned down close to Diamond Tiara. "So...do him proud. Live the life he wanted for you...so when he wakes up, he can be proud."

Diamond Tiara stared up at Scootaloo, her eyes flat. "...you're really not that good at the whole motivational speech thing, are you?"

Scootaloo chuckled nervously. "Not really..." she admitted sheepishly.

Diamond managed a smile. "I...appreciate the effort, and the sentiment." She turned to stare out the window as the sun started to touch the horizon. "I...guess I can try..."

"All anyone can ask," Scootaloo told her gently.


As the day dawned bright and clear, Diamond seemed determined to unlearn every bad lesson Spoiled had tried to ingrain in her brain. She praised the food Granny Smith prepared for everypony, calling it 'simply delicious' as she devoured three helpings. She raced to help Apple Bloom with her chores alongside the other fillies, heedless of the mess it made of her coat and mane, only making sure to keep her tiara in place and clean. And when it came time to play, she cast caution to the winds as she leapt headlong into every activity the group could come up with. However, it quickly became plain to Scootaloo that she was doing her best to distract herself so as to not think about things, and she was quickly running out of things to distract herself with.

Much to her surprise, a distraction arrived in the form of a gilded pegasus-drawn chariot bearing the House of Blue coat of arms coming in for a landing practically right in front of the group. The door swung open, and Bluebottle leapt out with a spring in his step, bouncing eagerly from hoof to hoof as he rushed up to the group. "Sunrise!" he called out eagerly. "Sunrise, look!"

Scootaloo winced at that, uncertain how she'd explain the name to Diamond Tiara. However, when she caught sight of what Bluebottle was trying to show her, all thoughts of irritation fled. Emblazoned on Bluebottle's flank was a sword crossed with a staff. "Bluebottle, you got your Cutie Mark!" she squealed out eagerly, rushing up and glomping onto him.

Bluebottle returned the embrace as the others cheered excitedly. Eventually, it was Sweetie Belle who managed to get a question in. "So what does it mean?" she asked eagerly. "What's your talent?"

Bluebottle grinned widely as he stepped back. "Well, I was talking to my brother about you, Sunrise," Bluebottle began, making Scootaloo facehoof. "And how dangerous your life will be now that you're running your 'family business', and I thought about how much I wanted to be there with you to help you..." Bluebottle's horn glowed, a crystal blue aura that shimmered with sparks of silver. In the air around him, blade of pure magical energy solidified, moving around him in a circle as they parried, thrust, and riposted in alternating sequence. "I discovered I have a natural talent with magical blades!" he declared eagerly.

All five fillies 'wow'ed as they watched the magical blades dance around him in a defensive perimeter. "That's amazing..." Apple Bloom murmured in awe.

"And you rushed down to tell me once you learned I was here?" Scootaloo asked wryly, not that she could blame him.

"That too," Bluebottle confirmed as the swords faded as he released his magic. "I also wanted to host my cute cenera here in Ponyville, since all my friends are here." He turned towards Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. "Wow, Sunrise. Your new friends really clean up pretty."

Diamond Tiara glanced at herself and Silver Spoon. Mud splattered, bedraggled, messy manes and tails, no makeup, Silver Spoon without her usual pearl necklace... "...what?" she asked flatly.

"You both are really pretty when you don't look like over-painted china dolls," Bluebottle confirmed. Without waiting for an answer, he turned back to Scootaloo. "Of course, there's another reason I'm here."

"Oh?" Scootaloo asked curiously.

"Since I have a natural talent with magic swords, Blueblood told me he'd heard tale of a legendary master of the blade living somewhere in town," Bluebottle explained eagerly. "Ancient and wise, and skilled enough with the blade to cut down Death itself! So I'm going to find them and ask them to teach me the ways of the blade so I can be a better help to you in your work!"

"You know who you're looking for, then?" Sweetie Belle inquired excitedly.

"Nope!" Bluebottle proclaimed determinedly. "But I figure if I go up to everyone in town above the age of 60 and challenge them to a sword fight, whichever one kicks my flank must be them!" He grinned proudly as all five fillies facehoofed simultaneously.