• Published 12th Mar 2017
  • 8,956 Views, 1,391 Comments

Yes, My Lady - Tatsurou



Scootaloo must step into her inheritance, protecting Equestria from devious criminals and dark conspiracies alike, all while staying close to her friends. Thankfully, she's got the help of one devil of a butler.

  • ...
15
 1,391
 8,956

Chapter 23

With a course of action decided, Scootaloo went to the first place she needed to investigate to begin her plan...her father's business records. She knew that there were some Changelings working for his company, and they would be a good place to begin. However, she didn't know who they were, or even if their official employment records would list them as Changelings. As such, the first stop was the record keeper's office. "Deik-Beck!" she called out.

"Ho ho ho!" the ancient golem responded as he turned to face her, a puff of steam leaving the smokestack on his head.

"I need to talk to the Changelings that worked for my Father," she stated firmly. "How do I contact them?"

"Ho ho...ho," Deik-Beck responded, turning to walk deeper into his office. Curious, Scootaloo followed only to see him move to one of the oldest shelves in the office, one holding records that dated back to the founding of Wingshadow House. At first she thought Deik-Beck didn't understand, but he firmly withdrew and handed her a single envelope, with 'open only in the privacy of the office' written on the front.

"Uh...are you sure this is what I need?" Scootaloo asked in confusion.

Deik-Beck nodded firmly, prodding the envelope with one clockwork finger before turning to have some more tea.

Confused, Scootaloo took the envelope back to her main office where Sebastian waited for her. "Close all the curtains, turn up the lights, and raise the magic protections," she instructed firmly.

Nodding, Sebastian immediately did as bid. Once he was finished, however, he tensed up as Scootaloo opened the envelope. "My Lady, there is magic in that envelope, and not unicorn magic."

Scootaloo raised an eyebrow. "Is that so?" Reaching in, she slowly pulled out a single card with a runic circle drawn on it, along with an incantation written below. "Demonic?"

Sebastian looked closer. "...no. This is simply a two-way gate spell, tied to a specific individual. Read the incantation and throw the card to the ground, and the individual will be teleported to the card. At will, the one summoned can send themselves back to where they were."

"Equestrian based?" Scootaloo pressed firmly.

"There do not appear to be any runes tied to other planes of existence," Sebastian quickly reassured her. "It also shows signs of having been used frequently, but no battle damage."

Scootaloo nodded, then looked at the inscription. "...alright then..." She threw the card to the floor, circle side up. "Venit amicus loqui!"

The card released a flare of red light. When the light faded, a wrinkly brown stallion with grey mane and tail, pale green eyes, no Cutie Mark, and a faded green top hat appeared, a rake in his hand. Looking around at his surroundings, he frowned. "I'm generally granted the politeness of a scheduled appointment," he muttered, his voice suddenly far deeper than what fit his appearance.

Scootaloo titled her head in surprise. "Aren't you the Castle Gardener?" she asked in surprise.

As he turned towards her, the old stallion's frown faded. "Oh, that's why. Well, the first meetings are always awkward." He coughed a few times...then blazed with red-tinged green light and flame.

When the light faded, a very different figure stood there. His overall body shape was like a cross between a beetle and a pony, with thick three-jointed legs, a bronze carapace, and long horns that curled back from either side of his head. His eyes blazed crimson, and his mouth opened into a wicked pair of mandibles before closing again. "It has been some time since I took my true form," he greeted, his voice echoing. "I am King Crimson of Frenzy Hive. By the Ancient Treaty, how may I assist the House of Wingshadow to guard our adoptive home?"

Scootaloo's eye was wide and staring, struggling to get control of her rapidly beating heart. Forcing her eye closed, she took a few calming breaths. "I haven't been fully instructed," she stated as calmly as she could manage. "Start by explaining the Ancient Treaty."

Crimson nodded regally. "When the House of Wingshadow was first formed, the most common crime it dealt with was rage driven murder. Tensions were high after the civil war between Celestia and Luna, and tribal tensions were still strong. Blackwind Wingshadow was ordered to find a solution. He found me. He knew Changelings fed on emotion, that the feeding process left the one fed upon slightly dazed and without the emotion that was thus drained if the feeding was forced, and not given freely. He knew the Frenzy Hive fed on rage and hatred. So he made a deal: my Hive would have a permanent home in Equestria, leeching away the hatred between ponies that tore at the Harmony that kept the land together, allowing them to think clearly and choose more logical and peaceful solutions to their problems. In addition, we would aid in the defense of the country, and assist House Wingshadow with any Changeling related issues.

"Before the treaty, there were nearly 25 murders in Equestria for every 100,000 citizens per year. Overnight, that number dropped to an average of .002. There hasn't been a murder in Equestria for 500 years. As part of the Treaty, only House Wingshadow is even aware we are here."

Scootaloo nodded, recognizing this as just one more secret she needed to keep. "Is there a Changling Hive that feeds on hope or grief?" she asked carefully.

"A few," Crimson responded. "Their methods vary."

"Which would feed on both, and do so by promising ascensions?"

Crimson's face twisted in distaste. "Lucretia," he hissed angrily. "If she is making a move on Equestria, you must be ready to counter forcefully, as I shall be. Chrysalis was merely insane, that her plan would have destroyed what she sought to feed on. Lucretia, however...she is empty inside. While her hive feeds on hope and grief...she has her soldiers capture the last moment before a subject's death - right when their hope of becoming something more turns to the despair of realization that only death awaits them - for her personal consumption. She is cruel, vicious, and empty inside. She cares nothing for what happens to the world or her own subjects...but her authority with her Hive is absolute. So long as she lives, they are bound to her will."

"Then if she dies, the Hive might survive and find a new path?" Scootaloo coached hopefully.

"Depends on her manner of death," Crimson countered. "If she dies to a royal of her Hive, then the Hive will continue. If she dies to a royal of another Hive, her Hive will be absorbed into theirs. If she dies to a non-Changeling, her Hive will be broken, and the Lings will scatter until they are found and welcomed into other Hives...or until they find places to belong as rogues." He raised a hoof. "And before you ask, I cannot face her. Not only would my challenging a Queen directly lead to a great deal of conflict amongst the Hives, I am uncertain I'd be able to best her...and if I fell to her, all of my Hive would become hers. I cannot allow that."

Scootaloo nodded. "Quite alright. I didn't plan for you to. But can you tell me how I can find Lucretia?"

Crimson tapped his chin. "I will look into that. Tracking the movements of Changelings in hiding is most easily done by Changelings." With that, he returned to his pony disguise and vanished.

As Scootaloo sat back to take a few deep breaths, Sebastian walked over with an envelope. "We are needed back in Ponyville immediately," he observed calmly. "An urgent matter has arisen."

Author's Note:

King Crimson's appearance based off the 'Satanic Devil Beetle', as it is called. Pictures here:
http://zazenlife.com/2012/08/08/meet-the-satanic-devil-beetle/