• Published 6th Jul 2012
  • 1,884 Views, 20 Comments

Twilight meets... - Brony Eagle Scout



Twilight goes around Ponyville to meet new friends. Who will she come across?

  • ...
0
 20
 1,884

Vinyl & Octavia

Twilight received a letter from Princess Celestia last night urging her to continue to meet new ponies. Twilight was content with her five best friends but took the Princess's advice nonetheless.

She walked down the stairs noticing her assistant and long time friend setting up the library before opening hours. Spike stopped shelving books and shuffled into the kitchen as Twilight started to set up breakfast. Spike yawned before he started to read the letter on the counter by Twilight. After he read its contents, he turned toward Twilight who had a bowl of Trixie's as her breakfast.

"So how do you plan on meeting new ponies?" Spike questioned.

"I was planning on doing the sensible thing and start talking to interesting ponies around town, any idea on whom to start with?" Twilight answered.

Spike thought for a moment before voicing his opinion. "How about the crazy eyed mailmare or maybe the white unicorn that wears the sunglasses all the time." Twilight considered both options before deciding on the unicorn.

"Thanks for the suggestion Spike. Will you be okay running the library by yourself again?"

Spike waved her off "Yeah I'll be fine as long as Rainbow Dash doesn't crash in and wreck the place again." Twilight laughed and waved good bye to Spike before walking out the door.

She walked down the streets of Ponyville in search of this mysterious pony. Twilight stopped as she thought about her current situation "Unicorn and sunglasses, I should have gotten more info from Spike." She let out a groan before sitting on a bench to calm herself.

After several deep breaths and exhales, Twilight was ready to find this pony. But before leaving the bench a thought crossed her mind. "What am I going to say?" Twilight worried about this conundrum as she got up again to look around town.

After an hour of exploring Ponyville, Twilight was frustrated that she couldn't find this pony. However Twilight refused took look in front of her as she knocked into two unfortunate ponies. Twilight was first to recover and rushed to help the couple she knocked over.

Twilight lifted both ponies onto their hooves "I'm so sorry that ran into you two..." before vaguely recognizing both of them, specifically the one with the glasses.

"Hey, you're the DJ that played at my brother's wedding reception..." Twilight said as she pointed at the white unicorn. "And you're one of the musicians that played in the Grand Galloping Gala my friends and I went to couple years ago." As Twilight pointed to the grey mare.

The white unicorn rubbed the back of her head as she replied "And you're the one with the beautiful singing voice at that party, my name is Vinyl Scratch."

"And as I recall, you and your friends were responsible for the destruction that night especially that pink one with her infernal music suggestion." The mare shuddered at the memory. "I am sorry for that, my name is Octavia." The new mares offered their hooves and Twilight shook both.

"Again I'm sorry about my carelessness, my name is Twilight Sparkle." Twilight said.

"Would like to join us for lunch?" Octavia asked.
Twilight was taken aback by this offer, "I would but I have to ask...Why?"

Both Vinyl and Octavia smiled in unison at the question, as Octavia answered.
"Because Ms. Sparkle, your mayhem at the Gala caused Vinyl and I to meet and to be able to thank you would mean so much."
Twilight blushed at the answer "Please call me Twilight and I would be honored."

The trio convened to a small cafe for lunch as Twilight thought of potential conversation topics. They sat down and ordered their meals afterwards Twilight broke the ice. "I noticed your talents both dealt with music so what exactly do you do?" Twilight asked.

Vinyl spoke up first "I'm a DJ, I do gigs all around Equestria under the stage name DJ-P0N3."

"And I was part of the Royal Canterlot Symphony as the first chair cellist before coming here to Ponyville. Now, I help Vinyl with her music and tutor some of the ponies around town." Octavia answered.

Twilight was slightly confused at the discrepancy between the two backgrounds but shook it off. "So what's your special talent?" Vinyl inquired. "My talent deals with magic. I was a student of Princess Celestia's school for gifted unicorns and protégé for the Princess Herself."

The two mare's mouths hung in disbelief from Twilight's statement. Twilight smirked a bit at the sight then asked "How did you two meet after the Gala?"

Both Vinyl and Octavia broke out of their stupor and smiled and blushed at the pleasant memory. Octavia started the story.


"Well after the stampede of woodland creatures in the main hall, the ensemble scattered and I was frustrated to no end. So I did what most ponies do."

"By drinking Jura whisky till you're happy is not what most ponies do." Vinyl added.

"Oh hush, it certainly got you interested." Vinyl blushed more as Octavia continued.

"I found what I thought was a high class bar by the Gala and Vinyl happened to be playing a set there."

"What she actually found was a good club on a slow night and I just started when she sat down in an empty booth by one of my speakers."

"My ears have not been assaulted on such a level and I practically screamed at her to turn it down."

"To which I turned it up..." "And blasted me from the booth I was in to her podium knocking five ponies aside."

"A personal record I might add." Vinyl interjected as Octavia continued.

"Before I got to give her piece of my mind, my hoof started to tap along to the beat. I slowly lost myself in the music as it played before I returned to the booth and got my drink. Vinyl walked up a bit later after I sat down and we started to talk into the wee hours of the morning."

"And the rest is history." Vinyl finished.

Twilight giggled at how the couple interacted during the story. Lunch arrived and was quickly consumed as Twilight was delighted at her two new friends. As Twilight was about to make her leave Vinyl quickly stopped her.

"I've been meaning to ask you, would you allow me to record some voice samples? I got some songs that would absolutely rock with your voice." Twilight blushed at the compliment as she thought about it.

"I would gladly help a friend. What time would work best for you?" Vinyl was stunned for a bit "She breaks sometimes..." Octavia said as she poked Vinyl's ribs.

"Does tomorrow after lunch sound good? You'll find us at this address." Vinyl continued as she levitated a business card to Twilight.

"Tomorrow sounds good. How long do you think it will last, I still got the library to run?"

"Oh don't worry; I'll make sure she doesn't keep you too long." Octavia answered.

"It was great to meet you two and I'll see you tomorrow." Twilight said before heading back to the library.

"Likewise, see you tomorrow..." Vinyl called back as Octavia waved goodbye.

Twilight returned to the library to find her number one assistant sweeping with his back to the door. "Welcome to the library. Just come get me if need help or want to check out a book." Spike called out without turning around. Twilight sighed and shook her head. "Spike, turn around next time, its nicer to see a face and not a tail."

Spike spun around at the sound of Twilight's voice and greeted her properly, "Hey Twilight, how was the friend searching today?"

Twilight grinned and told him of the day's events to which he smiled as well. "It's great that you really progressed from the pony you were from a few years ago."

Twilight blushed at the heartfelt compliment. "That got you out of writing the letter to Princess Celestia later." Twilight said. Spike grinned at the mentioned award before scampering off to complete another chore off the checklist.

Twilight walked up into her room and got out the usual parchment, quill & ink before starting to write of today's success and tomorrow's plans to Celestia.

Comments ( 12 )

I loved it actually. I enjoyed the ways the characters acted and how you played it out. Good Job!

For a first attempt i'd say it's good.
sure i could find a few sentences that needs to be restructured, some grammar issues here and there, but not that many, and i was trying to enjoy the read, not look for errors.

One thing that bothered me was that one or two parts could need a bit more description, and strangely enough, some parts needed more dialogue.
Strange...
Shove this under a editor/proofreader's nose and have them look over it, it might just be me though, i tend to nitpick.

But other then that.
Interesting concept, decent/solid writing, and one huge + on mentioning that Twilight does have a beautiful singing voice.

Edit: forgot, Thumb'd up, tracked and all that good stuff, I'm jumping on this train.

*Takes a seat right up front* I'm so in this...

Fantastic fic! I'm not so nitpicky, but it would be SO much easier to read if you fixed the grammatical errors.:raritywink: I also loved the addition of Vinyl and Octavia. You also have some cool connections to the show. Good work! I hope to see more.

I enjoyed it, but was put off by the shortness of the chapter, however I really love it seeing how it's a concept I've wanted to do for a while! Faved and thumbed up cause its awsome and so are you!:pinkiehappy:

Thank you all for the mention of all the grammatical errors. I never expected such positive feedback:yay:
865879
It's good that you nitpick, that means I can try and fix it.
865831 865948 Thank you:twilightsmile:
865955
I guess this means I need to find an editor. Thank you :twilightsmile:
866047
I wanted it to be short to avoid me going on a tangent of randomness. Thank you:yay:

Can't wait to see more! Now to go fix my like button...

Looks interesting! I'll be following with rapt attention. :)

didn't know ponies drink lol, good story. i might just continue reading when the next chapter comes out :pinkiesmile:

Some errors, of course everypony's mentioned something about it. Grammars mostly, but the story line is excellent. Try to separate the sentences once a different pony speaks, so then everypony will know who says what. Thumbs up and ready for the next chapter :pinkiehappy: :ajsmug: :twilightsmile: :raritywink:

Okay, I couldn't get past the first two paragraphs (I mean I literally haven't yet read past the first two paragraphs) before I had to ask this question. Just what in tarnation is "a bowl of Trixie's?" Is that some sort of flower petal, or has Trixie gotten so big that she has her own breakfast cereal?

Login or register to comment