• Published 15th Dec 2016
  • 823 Views, 20 Comments

Abyss of the Watch - Mr BHunt



An Abyss Watcher, attacked by the Ashen One, appears in Equestria... Why?

  • ...
1
 20
 823

Chapter Four: The Man in Rags

The Man in Rags, a friend to some and an enemy to others. He wasn't always known by that name, some used to call him the Lost Wanderer. But now those memories of his name are gone, now only the Man in Rags remains. He wore a bronze chest plate, a helmet that seamed to always be on a tilt and a ragged skirt, covering most of his armour was strips of cloth and rags. He watched over Devrok as he breathed gently, the man pulled a small carving from a pack that lay next to his feet.

"You always had a fascination with carving." He said, looking back to Devrok. The undead shifted and groaned, the Man in Rags hummed as he pulled a flask of Estus from a pouch, he pulled down Devrok's face cloth and gently tilted the flask. The effect was immediate, the Abyss Watcher sat up with wild eyes. He glanced around, locked eyes with the Man in Rags and reached for his sword. Only it was sticking out of the floor, but Devrok still had his dagger. The Abyss Watcher slid the crooked knife into his hand and slashed at the Man in Rags, but the man just rolled back. Devrok got up and stood in a ragged stance, then he fell to his knees.

"You fool, Devrok. You're in horrible condition." The Man in Rags said as he walked closer, the Abyss Watcher swung his knife, but the Man in Rags just slapped it aside. Devrok grunted and dropped his dagger, the Man in Rags patted his shoulder. Suddenly a bright white flash behind the MiR made him turn around, standing a few feet away was Celestia.

"Well, hello. What brings you here?" The man asked as Celestia locked onto Devrok, the MiR noticed this. "Ah, you want him?"

"Yes." Celestia said simply.

The Man in Rags stood up and unsheathed a small axe; a frown on his face.

"You took him, didn't you?" The man asked and Celestia nodded. "You really don't know anything do you?"


Devrok stood and watched Hesyel walk towards the exit behind him, the poor girl had bandages wrapped all around her head.

"Please, dear Watcher, move." Heysel said, but Devrok shook his head.

"I can't do that, Heysel." Devrok said, his hand slightly shaking as he lay it upon his dagger.

"Devrok, please. There's nothing here for me-" Devrok suddenly growled.

"I guess that means me too, fine." Devrok moved to the side and Heysel blinked, the Abyss Watcher pointed to the exit. "Go, study with those scholars. You will learn much, away from these distractions." Devrok stated and lowered his arm, Heysel silently passed Devrok and followed the path out of the forest.


The MiR took a step closer to Celestia, his axe ready for a quick slice.

"You took Devrok from his home, and the one he loved so dearly!" The man shouted, Celestia blinked. Neither noticed Devrok shift.


Devrok hunched over the goblet of blood, specks of flame danced across its surface. The man looked to the side at the door, seeing it was closed he quickly tore off his mask and drunk the entire goblet. The Watcher then dropped the goblet and curled up, stumbling back away from the altar and collapsing. Suddenly the door burst open and an Abyss Watcher ran in, he immediately unsheathed his sword and walked towards Devrok.

"B-brother? What did you do?" The Watcher asked and Devrok got up, then he quickly turned and caught his eye.

"Became a lord, brother."


"He sacrificed everything! He became a lord, destined to burn! All for his little Heysel!" The Man in Rags bellowed as flames started to ignite along Devrok's body as he rose, Celestia took another step back. "And you know what he did? What he did to fill him of the only regret in his endless life?"


Heysel hesitantly entered the arch that she once left through, her eyes hidden by the massive cap were darting around. It was eerily silent, no clash of swords, no sounds of spells and no talking. Heysel then turned a corner to find a strange sight. Sitting in the middle of the large courtyard was a trio of Abyss Watchers, one was arguing with the other two.

"Why did you come back here, Hawkwood?" One asked the Watcher without a helmet.

"You are not welcome here, you disgrace us with that!" The second Abyss Watcher sneered as he pointed at Hawkwood's shield that hung on his back.

"I came back to say I'm leaving." Hawkwood stated, the two Abyss Watchers look at him.

"W-what?" The first asked.

"B-but Hawkwood, you took the blood-" The second was suddenly shoved back by Hawkwood.

"That new blood is disgusting! You fools, you've become lords! You'll never go back to your homes! You all give me conceptions!" Hawkwood bellowed and quickly rushed towards the exit, and Heysel. All three men stared at the yellow garbed woman, unsure of who she is.

"H-hello." Heysel said, the Abyss Watchers recoiled.

"Heysel? You've returned?" Hawkwood asked, then he shook his head. "Well I guess this is hello and goodbye, Devrok is inside. Go to him." Hawkwood said as he walked past, but before he left earshot he stated. "But you'll regret it."

The two Abyss Watchers let Heysel pass and followed her into the keep, Heysel noticed the stares the Abyss Watchers gave her. Soon they came to the Initiation Room, where a lone Abyss Watcher was standing. He turned and walked quickly towards Heysel, how rushed to meet him.

"D-Devrok? It's been so-" Suddenly Heysel found herself on the floor, she looked up at Devrok who grabbed the hilt of his sword.

"You... are not welcome here, scholar. Leave" Devrok said coldly and Heysel yelped when the pair of Abyss Watchers grabbed her and dragged her back through the keep. They ignored her cries and screams as they threw her back out into the courtyard, Heysel got to her feet and looked for a second back at the keep before sprinting away.


"He- will tell you himself." The Man in Rags stated as he walked to the side, Celestia looked at the body to see a flaming Abyss Watcher. Sprinting at her, eyes red with rage and sword about to slice her to bits.

Author's Note:

Huh, this got updated, neat.
This story cames back from the grave! I've had writters block and other stories so I lost inspiration, still, don't expect this to get updated a lot. :ajsleepy:

Anyhow... I guess I should take off the hiatus, eh?

Comments ( 7 )

Ty for the chapter

8252977
You're welcome, sorry it took so long for an update

I thought this story was finished, I wasn't aware it was on hiatus.:rainbowderp:

Alright, move aside appreciative me, time for skeptical me.

What exactly did Celestia pull him from at the time that would be of great importance to him? All he was doing was killing other undead Abyss Watchers in an arena of sorts (mausoleum sounds better), Heysel is gone, Farron keep is in ruins, the followers are trapped in the Painting of Ariandel #PhyrraNikosBuild , the remaining inhabitants are now Ghrus and the swamp that was once Farron keep is crawling with Darkwraiths. I don't see what he has to live for ever since everything's gone to shit.
You're making it sound like everything bad that happened in Devrok's life as an Abyss Watcher was Celestia's fault.

:currently replacing critic me with nice me:

Whew, now that's off of my chest, i can finally thank you for updating this fic and say that I hope you upload another chapter soon.

Thanks for updating this fic and hope you upload another chapter soon!

8253448
Thanks for the... nice review, but what Devrok lives for is to be a lord, to keep to himself and not to be anything else. After he banished Heysel, he devoted himself to be a Lord of Cinder and nothing else, but when good old Celestia brought him to Equestria, then he changed from the lord to another undead. He basically inflicted himself with a lot of pain that he was fine with, but due to the small kindness that the ponies gave him he lost view of that.

Or, a shorter explanation, he wanted to suffer but was given happiness, thus becoming happy too when he wanted to be an edgy little shit that inspired a generation of edgy fuckers. :ajbemused:

Also, I noticed that Phyrra reference, I just binged the series about a day ago. :ajsleepy:

8254723
Sorry, I didn't know that that was what Celestia was taking him from, it's been ages since I've read the previous chapters, which led to absolute cluelessness:twilightoops:. Also I've yet to actually make that build for myself.

Sorry for the misunderstanding:facehoof:

8255111
It's fine, no harm done.

8366202
It's your opinion but I prefer the abyss Watchers for the lore. Lorian and lothric just seem like angsty teens.

Login or register to comment