• Published 17th Nov 2016
  • 1,464 Views, 3 Comments

Think of You - Misty Meadow



When the chance of a lifetime lands in their lap, can it be what they need to salvage their relationship?

  • ...
2
 3
 1,464

Think of You

Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash sat together, wings over each others back, holding each other’s foreleg. They sat on a couch in their library, nervous smiles on their faces as they faced the two mares on the other side of the table.


Across from them, Rarity and Pinkie shared a couch, each sat at opposing ends, up against the rests. Twilight rubbed her neck with her free foreleg. “I want to thank you both for coming here, I know things haven’t been the best between you two, but we want to ask you something that’s very important to us.”


“Don’t worry darling, you know all of us wouldn’t hesitate to help you, what do you need?” Rarity cast a glance across at Pinkie, before looking back to the couple.


“Yeah, thanks Rares, we know you do.” Rainbow smiled at her. “The thing is, Twi and my’s fifteenth anniversary is coming up, and we wanted it to be special.”


“Ooooooooo,” Pinkie squealed, nearly bouncing out of her seat, “that’s fantastic!”


“And we’ve been thinking, since you guys did our wedding party, and you know I don’t like all that cutesy-wootsy stuff…” The other three mares in the room looked at her, eyebrows synced in a joint frown. Rainbow coughed, “Ok, so maybe I do a little, but the point is the event you two put on for us made Cadance’s wedding look like a kindergarden party.”


Twilight pulled Rainbow into a hug. “You know we had less than a week to plan that,” she nuzzled her lightly, “but you are right. We know there has been some… tension between you two, but we were hoping you could put aside your differences to help us make this special.” Twilight looked at them both sheepish and hopeful.


Pinkie and Rarity glanced at each other, and back at their friends, with Rarity breaking the silence. “As I said, we would always help a friend, I’m sure that Pinkie and I can be professional and work together on one more party, especially something of this importance.” She turned to Pinkie.


A smile ever present on her face, Pinkie vibrated in her seat. “Of course we can, this is about you, not us!” Realizing what she had said, she and Rarity grimaced slightly.


“Thank you, really, both of you,” Twilight saved them, “It isn’t for another month. Is that going to be enough time for you?”


“Twilight,” Rarity scolded her, “back then we could have done it in three days, with how smoothly we ran.”


“Yeah…” Pinkie sighed, her smile dipping a bit, a silence building.


Rainbow stepped in this time, “Really, we’d owe you one, even after we’d paid you. So thanks girls.”


“No payment necessary, darling, we do this for you.”


Pinkie stared at Rarity after her declaration, but held her tongue. Soon, the pair said their goodbyes, and headed out of the castle, finding themselves alone on the front steps.


An awkward silence hovered over them like a dark cloud, both of the mares unable to look at the other.


“What did you mean ‘payment not necessary’?” Pinkie’s tone was cold.


“Look, Pinkie, I know what I said back then, and I’ve come to understand I was wrong. Can we talk about…”


“Rarity, just stop it.”


Rarity blinked, her normally bouncing friend had lost her soft look, and her voice was quite harsh.


“I agreed to work with you on this, for them. Don’t think I have forgiven you,” and with that, Pinkie walked off without bouncing, or looking back.


Rarity was still upset by the time she got home. Stepping through the door to her boutique, the gloominess of the interior matched her mind, and she waded in, not bothering to turn on the lights.


Reaching the back room, she planted herself down on her fainting couch, letting her eyes wander the bleak room. Each time her eyes caught on one of the changes Pinkie had made, or a color she added, her mind jumped back to before.


Knowing she would have to face it eventually, Rarity lit her horn, and pulled a large trunk out from under the stairs, pulling it over to her. She felt the resistance of the heavy trunk, and with a slight grunt, dragged it over next to her. The lid was covered in dust, untouched for almost two long years.


Rarity instantly regretted flipping the lid up, the dust causing her to cough a few times. Once she had finished, she leaned over and peered down into the trunk. She was greeted with a vast sway of colored papers, somewhat muted in the light of the room.


Using her magic, she flipped the light on, and the top most papers became clear. Each piece was headed with the name ‘Elegant Surprise’, along with the logo, three diamonds, each containing a balloon. She picked up one of the nearest booklets. It was their first pamphlet together, the pair smiling in front of Twilight and Dash’s wedding cake. Rarity quickly put it away, lest her tears ruin it.


Fifteen Years Ago


“Wow Rarity, you know how to put together an awesome wedding!”


“Now Pinkie, don’t leave yourself out of the praise, your reception was to die for.”


“Hehehehe,” Pinkie giggled, then her face went straight, “Just as long as no one dies.” Rarity looked at her as if she’d grown a second head, before she started giggling again.


“Aye, today’s festivities have been a most wondrous affair,” a joyous voice spoke.


“Princess Luna!” They both gasped, dropping into a deep bow immediately.


“Please, just Luna, we are friends, are we not?” Pinkie and Rarity picked themselves up from their bow, nodding. “Good. As I said, your party had been one of the finest I have even been to. Would you entertain an idea?”


“Certainly, Luna. I would love to hear an idea from you.” Nodding, Pinkie agreed with Rarity.


“How would you two like to form a company, sponsored by the crown? From the events I have been invited to, I have to admit yours are always better.”


Pinkie and Rarity looked at each other, both wearing ear to ear grins.


“We’re in.”


“Whew.” Rarity wiped her brow, exhausted. “That has got to have been both the most difficult, and most fun event we have ever done. An anniversary, birthday, and a cute-ceañera, all rolled into one! How ever did we manage that?”


“Hehehe, yeah, that was a blast.” Pinkie put away the last of her supplies, “But I couldn’t have done it without you Rare-bear!”


Rarity blinked at the name. Pinkie had been calling it her more often of late, but she let it go. Then again, they had been spending a lot more time together. When she wasn’t busy at Sugarcube corner, or they weren't out as a group, Pinkie could be found at hers, planning for events, or cataloguing ideas.


Truth be told, Rarity found herself feeling somewhat lonely during the hours she wasn’t here. Having zoned out from introspection, she never noticed that Pinkie had moved to stand next to her, shoulder pressed to hers.


“You ok in there, Rare-bear?”


The white mare spring up, much like a cat, and squeaked. Pinkie rolled onto the floor, laughing uncontrollably. Composing herself, Rarity went to scold her, but when she saw the mirth on Pinkie’s face, she found she couldn't muster the anger.


Instead, she joined her in laughter, eventually falling onto her couch. Pinkie joined her, the pair giggling like school fillies. As it petered out, Pinkie let out a large yawn.


Looking at the clock, Rarity saw how late it was.


“Oh my, is it really eleven-thirty?”


“Oh no! Mr & Mrs Cake will have gone to bed by now. They’re not gonna be happy with me waking them up to let me in.”


Pinkie’s smile fell, and Rarity felt her heart break. She mulled around in her head, as Pinkie got up, and walked towards the door, head hung low.


“Wait! Uhh... you can stay here if you want?”


“Huh?”


Rarity coughed. “I said you can stay here tonight, I have a spare room…” Pinkie’s face lit up, only to droop again as Rarity continued, “Oh, wait, mother and father filled it with Sweetie Belle’s things when they moved.”


“Ok. Thanks anyw…”


“Wait a minute Pinkie. My bed is more than big enough for three ponies, if you are willing to share?”


Pinkie’s muzzle became a different shade of pink, but the smile she wore was the biggest Rarity had seen all day.


“Sure.”


Rarity was standing at the edge of a large hall. What seemed like a gala was in progress, except that nopony was having fun. The room and the decorations were all shades of black and grey, as were the guests, and the music’s dull tone could barely be heard over the low hum of conversation.


When she tried to engage one of the guests, he merely stared through her, droning on about something boring. Rarity ran the length of the hall. There was food being served, but it was all prim and proper, nothing with flavor or pizzaz.


Then something dawned on her. “Where’s Pinkie?” Running around, she couldn’t see a speck of pink anywhere, and she felt tears in her eyes.


“WHERE’S PINKIE?!”


As she reached the head of the gala, she found the Royal Sisters upon the dais, also grey scale. Falling to the floor before them, she began sobbing, until a hoof touched her shoulder. Looking up, the grey princess Luna was now a distinct blue, and her eyes glowed white.


“WAKE UP!”


-


Rarity jerked forward, and pulled something with her. Her breathing was laboured, and she could feel sweat all over her coat. It took her a moment to find out that Pinkie was wrapped around her, hugging her tight.


“Thank the princesses you’re alright!” Pinkie’s words were slightly muffled through Rarity’s mane.


“What happened, darling?” Images flashed through her mind, causing her to hug pinkie back.


Pinkie sniffed, “You were thrashing about, calling out for me. I kept saying I was right here, but you couldn’t hear me.” She sniffed again. “You scared me.”


Rarity pulled her tight. “I’m so sorry Pinkie, I’d never scare you like that on purpose.”


Pinkie nodded. “I know, Rare-bear.”


She went to pull away, but Rarity wouldn’t let her.


“Stay, please.”


They lay back, legs around one another, and swiftly fell asleep, a pattern that would soon become normal for both of them.


Pinkie and Rarity stood at the edge of a small town hall, watching a filly celebrate her tenth birthday. The pair stood with sides together, and their tails entwined, smiling.


“It really is magical watching you make the day for a small filly or colt. I get to watch you bring a fraction of what I feel to others.” Rarity turned and pecked her on the cheek.


Turning a darker pink, her marefriend giggled.


“Anything else for tomorrow? For the Canterlot party?”


Rarity hummed. “Not that I can think of, sweetheart. I’m sorry that picking this means we miss two birthdays, but we really do need the bits this one will bring in.”


Sighing, Pinkie nuzzled her. “I know. It’s ok.”


Rarity nudged her. “Come on, the birthday filly is about to open her presents.”


Pinkie smiled, and followed Rarity into the fray once more.


“I want to do the cute-ceañera.”


Rarity put a hoof to her temple. “I know Pinkie, but takings have been low this month. We would be better off accepting Noble Era’s social function.”


“But those parties are so boring!”


“No they aren’t, Darling, they are just slightly more sophisticated than your preferred faire.”


“Are you saying I’m foalish?” Pinkie asked, her voice had a sharp edge.


“No, I just… I’d hate to see something we put so much effort into come to an end.” Rarity looked down at the floor.


Pinkie reached over, and lifted Rarity’s chin. “I know, I don’t want it to either. We’ll do Noble Era’s event.”


Rarity squeed. “Oh thank you sweetheart, I’ve been looking forward to this for a while.” She kissed her marefriend, before scarpering off, and she missed the glare levelled at her back.


The pair sat across from each other in ‘their’ inspiration room. Rarity had long since stopped calling anything in the house ‘hers’. Rarity was going over the ledgers, while Pinkie was arranging her collection of streamers.


“Pinkie Darling, I really think gala’s and social gatherings are where we need to focus our business.”


“Rarity, you know I enjoy the parties more.”


“I know you do, but we're not doing so well financially. Gatherings of nobles are where the money is, so that’s where we need to be.”


Pinkie was getting frustrated; this was about the fifth time Rarity had made this argument.


“Is money really that important to you?”


“Of course it is, this is a business, what could be more important than that?”


Pinkie looked at Rarity, tears forming in the corners of her eyes. “Spending time with each other…” Tears now flowing freely, she ran from the room.


Present Day


Rarity breathed out; she could do this. Twilight had been kind enough to lend them a room in the castle with which they could plan. She knew that they would likely be uncomfortable back in their old work room.


Placing a hoof on the door, Rarity pushed it open, not knowing what to expect. When she looked in, it took her breath away. Not only had Pinkie already set up, she had arranged everything just like they used to.


Nostalgia struck hard, and as Rarity swept her gaze left, she spotted something that knocked her to his knees. Pinkie had made a replica of her workstation. Everything from the position of the seat, to the cushions and creature comforts, Pinkie had remembered everything, and had taken the time to set it up.


But Pinkie didn’t even look at her; she kept working on her task.


Cut to the quick, Rarity pulled herself together, and got herself situated. Pinkie was planning the after party, so that left the wedding itself for her. She needed a distraction, so she dived into her work.


As the first day came to a close, neither of them said a word to one another.


The second day passed just like the first, with both mares working together but apart, and in complete silence.


It wasn’t until the end of the third day that Rarity decided to break the trend. As the pair cleaned up for the day, she used her magic to help Pinkie move some of the heavier items she was working with. Once done, she said goodnight to her, and left, not noticing the twitching at the edges of Pinkie’s mouth.


On the fourth day, Rarity arrived to find Pinkie hard at work, as always. Again, neither said hello, but the unicorn was surprised to find a pot of freshly brewed tea waiting for her at her workstation. She gave it a sniff, confirming that it was her favorite blend. Smiling for the first time in days, Rarity got to work, humming tunes while she did so.


As the day progress, she could see Pinkie was struggling to set items out on a board, her hooves unable to work the push pins. Without a word, the decorations floated up, and pinned themselves. Casting a light smile her way first, Pinkie carried on working.


On the fifth morning, Rarity arrived to find not only the tea set, but a cupcake as well. Setting it aside for later, she drank the tea, and got to work. As she worked, her nose kept reminding her about the cupcake, which in turn reminded her of the other mare in the room, and before she knew it, she started to sing while she worked. Even though the two weren't talking, Pinkie could be heard joining in.


The weekend came, giving the two a break from work, but come Monday they were back to it. Today, Rarity brought a picnic hamper with her, and come lunchtime, they both camped out in the center of the room. No conversation was held, but the silence wasn’t awkward, both content to eat in each other’s company.


As the second week drew by, each day heralded a new high in their interactions, but other than singing, they still didn’t really speak to each other.


As the Friday of that second week came to an end, both mares tidied up, ready to leave, except this time Rarity blocked the exit.


“Pinkie, we need to talk.”


Pinkie’s face was neutral, neither a smile nor a frown, she just sat down and waited.


Rarity took a minute to collect herself. She looked at the pink mare in front of her, remembering everything about her that had caused them to come together.


“Pinkie, I… I miss you. There’s no other way for me to say it, but I do. My home, my heart, is empty without you, and I want to say I’m sorry.” Rarity started, her head slightly hung.


“When we started working together, it was new and exciting, and I came to find that I enjoying having you around. Later, I came to love having you around, and then I came to love you.” She reached out to grab one of Pinkie’s hooves.


“When ‘Elegant Surprise’ took off, I revelled in the chance to work with you, and enjoy so many parties at your side. But then success started eating at me. Whenever I heard mention of the company, everypony was talking about you. ‘Have you heard about the latest Pinkie Party?’ or ‘Did you hear what Pinkie did last week?’. At one point, I introduced myself; they recognised me as your marefriend. When they thought of me, they thought of you,” Rarity cast her eyes down, and her ears flopped over.


“I got jealous, I wanted to be a household name like you. So I started steering us towards upper scale venues, ones where my work would be noticed. And in doing so I was hurting you. My mind made excuses, money this, bills that; I never stopped to think about why we had even started it.” Rarity kept on going, too scared to see what Pinkie’s facial expression was.


“I forgot that we started it because we enjoyed it, and I’m sorry I took that away from you. I never stopped to think that your happiness was more important than anything else, because I know now, that to me it is.”


Finished, she slumped her shoulders, and stayed looking at the floor.


A pink hoof found its way into Rarity’s vision, reaching past and touching her chin. Gently, it raised her head, until she was eye to eye with Pinkie. Tears flowed freely from Pinkie’s eyes, her cheeks sodden, and she wore a relieved smile.


With the weekend upon them, they could take a break again, but this time both mares spent the weekend together, finding that which they had lost. With it, their work together flowed as good, if not better, as it had two years ago. Their work was done by the end of the week, leaving them ample chance to begin making up for lost time.


And come the day of Twilight and Rainbow’s anniversary, neither would be going without a date.

Author's Note:

Thanks to everyone who pre-read and edited and to my wonderful Cowriter Chris

Comments ( 2 )

What I liked most about this story is that it was incumbent upon Rarity to make amends. It is nice to see Rarity take responsibility.

This story is quite the odd one to me. In concept, this story wouldn't seem very good. The idea of Pinkie and Rarity starting a company together is so freaking good that I'd like to have seen more of it. Instead, we get a few small windows into it. There's a bit of Chekov's gun in that we don't get to the actual party. The actual moment that breaks them apart is too short and not dramatic enough to end what we're told is a romantic relationship. Heck, we're not even given a big glimpse into their relationship.

In the end, through descriptive writing, well timed drama, and a makeup that feels as natural as a sunrise, it easily becomes much better than the sum of its parts. I'm so disappointed this story didn't find a wide audience, that I've thrown it on my profile page in my "under appreciated stories" box. I hope you continue to write as you clearly have a knack for it. Oh, and always write out okay instead of ok.

Login or register to comment