• Published 22nd Jul 2016
  • 1,527 Views, 10 Comments

Equestria at War - Krystal Dusk



With Celestia's death and Luna's disappearance, Twilight and Cadence is forced to shoulder the responsibility of protecting the Kingdom against the invading griffons

  • ...
4
 10
 1,527

Chapter 9 - Final Confrontation


Final Chapter


A mist grew around them as they approached the castle. The drawbridge was still there but the castle was still in ruin and unused. It surprised Rainbow Dash that the Zebra’s hadn’t occupied it as it provided excellent defence over the ravine. But as they moved closer, it became clear why they’d left it alone. The ruin was ominous, especially now when they knew that Nightmare Moon was at large. It made her feel like the very first time when they faced off against Nightmare Moon and acquired the Elements of Harmony. Of course, they were now unable to use them without Rarity… Rainbow Dash quirked her mouth as she recalled when Rarity had been hunting for tapestries in these ruins. She’d even replaced some of them just because she couldn't stand seeing them in tatters.

But her reverie was cut short as their party stopped by the gate that barely hung by its hinges. Twilight rose from being carried and walked up to Rainbow Dash. All her friends gathered around her and they cast one last look of confidence at each other before heading into the ruins.
As they expected, in the throne room, Nightmare Moon stood staring down at them with her serpent eyes. “How gracious of you to come alone, Twilight. Is what I would have said. I didn’t imagine you still needed your friends despite my sister’s powers. The battle with that beast must have been too much for you.”

Spike leaned forward and pointed the Sceptre at her. “YOU! You summoned Fiurion to our lands, didn’t you?”

“Of course! It was a gamble, however. Wouldn’t want the beast to ravage my kingdom too much. It was all Twilight’s fault, really. It was the only way to have her come out. Even when I turned every race against her she still wouldn’t reveal herself. Have my sister’s powers finally gotten to your head?”

“Funny, that you of all people would say that none ironically.” Twilight sneered.

“Hmph. I’m merely myself again, nothing more. Enough with the chatter. Have you come to surrender or do you intend to fight me? You don’t look too good, to be honest.”

“No. I’m not here to fight, nor do I intend to surrender.”

“Oh, Twilight. Got some plan, do you? Well, I have to admit, you made it difficult for me. Not that turning everyone around you to your enemy was difficult. It pained me, however, that I had to sacrifice so many of my precious subjects to get what’s mine. Just admit defeat, Twilight. I’ll be a just ruler, I promise.”

Grinning widely and showing her pointy teeth, Nightmare Moon’s eyes scanned the six friends until she met Rainbow Dash’s fiery gaze. Intrigued, Nightmare Moon transformed her neck into a fog and stretched her body inches from Rainbow Dash’s face. “What FIRE you have in your eyes, Rainbow Dash. You really want to kill me… You’re kinda cute like that. Too bad you have those awful things in your mouth. We’ll have to fix those when I take over, don’t you worry.”

Rainbow Dash turned and tried to bash Nightmare Moon with her back hooves, but she’d already stretched back and chuckled as she did. Twilight went in between them, looking with bleary eyes and said. “She loved you, you know. She believed in you to her very last moment.”

Nightmare Moon’s condescending expression suddenly changed, darting her eyes nervously, as if Twilight’s words had a greater meaning.

Twilight took a breath and simply whispered in a strange language. “Senhaza Noucillo”

Nightmare Moon’s eyes widen for a second, before she squinted her eyes again and her body began to tremble. Soon, tears flowed uncontrollably and she crumbled on the stone floor. Like a child, she hid her face with her front legs and moved her back legs into a fetal position. Every pony but Twilight gawked at what they saw as Nightmare Moon’s form slowly receded, her serpent eyes and fangs disappearing - but never fully. Her form flickered between the witch and Luna, as if neither refused to take precedence. But after a few moments, her shrieks turned to wailing, and then to sobs, leaving with them a much smaller, less dark coloured mare crumbled on the floor. Luna was back.

Seeing her transformation, all six of them rushed towards her to try and see if she was okay. But what met their gaze was not the kind, soft, eyes they expected, but a serpent’s. With a mix of the royal voice (Luna had learned many millennia ago) and the whimpering of a child, trying to speak at the same time, she said. “Please, take me to the Tree of Harmony.”

Hesitantly, they carried her down the ravine until she faced the tree. The mark of Luna, Celestia and Twilight was engraved on the side of it. Only Celestia’s mark glowed from its trunks. On her haunches, Luna breathed heavily trying to suppress her emotions. She glanced over her shoulder and with a glint in her eyes, she said. “Goodbye, dear friends. I’ll hurt you no more.”

Before anypony could stop her, Luna shot a beam of light through her horn, sucking out all the colours in her coat until only a grey shell of a body remained. In return, Luna’s mark lit up on the trunk, shining back at every pony as they came to the realisation that she was gone.


What Happens Now?


Walked alone through the old castle, Twilight glanced around the many contraptions that had scared her friends so the first time they explored the place; the trapdoor in the throne room, the hidden chambers and holes in the eyes of the paintings for spying… she would always remember Luna as the kind, fun-loving, guardian of Equestria, rather than its destroyer despite all the horror she’d caused. It wasn’t difficult to imagine what ran through Luna’s mind before she decided to end her life: longing to see her sister again and the remorse for hurting her subjects for the second time must have been too much for her. It was only one way this could have ended, Twilight kept telling herself.

Enjoying the solitude and the opportunity to collect her thoughts, Twilight walked aimlessly among the ancient structures. Most of her powers had returned after several weeks of rest, though she still felt her body tremble whenever she used demanding spells such as teleportation. Because of this, all her meetings had been spent in bed during the restoration of her kingdom that still went on. The Griffons, after Ember’s threats, decided to abandon all they aspirations for conquest and had returned all the land they took - making no pony the victor.

Walking through the gloom of the castle, Twilight squinted her eyes as she went outside, the sun’s rays blinding her temporarily. It was a strange sight, seeing both the moon and the sun hover next to each other, lighting one part of the world and darkening the other. Although, she could move them both, with much strain to her body, she’d decided to have them remain for the time being; the choosing of the new celestial sisters not to be taken lightly.

Watching the two celestial bodies unmoving, as if Luna and Celestia stared down at her, Twilight noticed Cadence approaching from behind. Twilight offered a smile as Cadence walked up next to her, the smile vanishing seconds later as they stood silently and stared ahead. “Have you come to a decision?” Twilight asked.

Remaining silent for a few moments longer, as if still contemplating her options, Cadence answered. “If what you’re saying is true, that any Alicorn can move any celestial body if they choose to, I would prefer moving the sun but I think you should make the decision.”

Twilight frowned, expect such an answer. “Let’s head on down,” Twilight said, remaining silent until they were a fair bit down the ravine. “Destiny is something you create for yourself,” she said, “my mentor taught me this. It rings true to my ears since she, if anypony, had experience in the matter.”

“You mean about Starswirl? What a fascinating man. We cannot understand what he was. But if what’s written is true, then we have much to thank him for.”

Indeed, Twilight thought. Not only the very existence of Celestia and Luna, but everything they held dear and true; The Elements of Harmony and The Tree of Harmony… He was able to travel through time so it was safe to assume he prepared everything for them, making her wonder what a future would look like without Starswirl's hoof in it. He must have had his reasons to intervene. But, in the end, they’d have to choose for themselves what they wanted to do.

“You read the whole report, then?” Twilight asked.

“About the second option? Yes. But it’s not really an option, is it? We can’t ask 10 Unicorns to sacrifice themselves when we can do it.”

“True. But what is the cost of war compared to 10 unicorns losing their magic every decade or so?”

“What do you mean?”

Twilight gave Cadence a quizzical look, asking herself if she really needed to spill it out for her. “Whoever gets to control the moon may very well turn evil again. It wasn’t simply jealousy that made Luna transform into Nightmare Moon, after all.”

“Light and darkness always at odds…”

Twilight nodded.

Finally realising the gravity of her choice, Cadence remained silent until they stood facing the Tree of Harmony at the bottom of the ravine. Alicorns were the only ones that could control the sun and the moon without an immediate risk, but the moon corrupts the wielder when they are at their weakest. Equally, wielding both the moon and the sun at the same time, physically drained the life force out of Celestia until she didn’t have much time left. It seemed that there were only sacrifices to be had to keep the world spinning…

Then, hit with a realisation, Twilight asked with a smile. “How is your daughter? Is she learning to keep her powers in check?”

Not expecting the question at a time like this, Cadence stammered. “She… huh… she’s doing fine, thank you. She’d matured tremendously after the experience with Nightmare Moon and she is practising with her father in the Crystal Empire, at the moment.”

“Good, good…” Twilight said, turning her attention back to the tree. If new Alicorns were born through birth and merit, perhaps the future isn’t so glum, after all?

With renewed hope and vigour, Twilight stepped closer to the tree and shouted. “I believe Starswirl set up this world for a reason. He did not lead us this far to let us fall into despair. I will take up the mantel as Equestria’s protector until the day comes when I’m no longer needed.” She said staring back at Cadence who was taken aback by her hopeful demeanour. But it was hard not to be effectuated and she smiled back and approached the tree, determined to create a better future for all ponies of Equestria.


The End


Comments ( 1 )

8192095 Aha, I better change that then.

Login or register to comment