• Published 22nd Jul 2016
  • 1,525 Views, 10 Comments

Equestria at War - Krystal Dusk



With Celestia's death and Luna's disappearance, Twilight and Cadence is forced to shoulder the responsibility of protecting the Kingdom against the invading griffons

  • ...
4
 10
 1,525

Chapter 5 - Revenge


Chapter 5


“Spike… Spike!… Where are you?!”

Her shout echoed loudly in the sparsely furnished room, rolling around until she rose to her haunches and stared wide-eyed into the darkness. With heavy breaths it took a few moments before she realised where she was and she slumped back on the bed, her hooves pressed against her forehead.

“Where are you?” she repeated staring wide awake at the ceiling.

With her mind empty, someone knocked at the door. She scowled at it and bellowed that she wanted to be alone. But the knocking wouldn’t stop so she rose irritably and opened the door with her magic. “I told you, I’m fi—“

Twilight’s words died on her lips when she saw the urgency in the guard’s eyes. The guard bowed deeply and said. “Your highness! Pardon my intrusion, but this is urgent.”

“Well, what is it?”

“A scout from Team Alfa have returned. The… The dragons. They are on the move.”

Twilight staggered when the guard’s words sunk in. She looked to the ground, flicking her eyes back and forth as if looking for something. Her worst fears had come to pass. How could this have happened? There was always a small chance the dragons would be a problem, but she never really believed…

Fluttershy… Pinkie Pie…

Twilight’s eyes flashed at the guard who remained bowed before her. “What about the rest of the team? Are they okay?”

The guard kept his head low and stayed silent, hesitant to continue. But Twilight, losing her patience, stomped on the floor that snapped the guard from his frozen state.

“…There’ve been no reports of any survivors, your highness. Only one scout managed to get out alive.”

Twilight’s body stiffened and she stared blankly down at the guard who remained motionless. The guard asked for further orders, but his voice could not be heard as Twilight’s mind escaped into herself; escaping the reality of her grim existence. Suddenly, the ground began to shake and loose stones and gravel hovered around them. The guard backed away, awestruck as Twilight levitated off the ground. Her eyes glowed in pure white. With a shriek of anguish, a beam shot through her body and penetrated the ceiling. Chunks of the roof rained down around them and the guard dashed skilfully out of the way while shouting at his Princess, desperately trying to reach her. But it was futile, her anger was too great and her sadness too painful in having lost more of her closest friends. She extended her wings and with one great dash, she sent herself flying through the hole in the ceiling, screaming at her lungs capacity - her voice reaching miles away.

She did not know what to do with herself and she just hovered above the castle, looking desperately for something to take out her anger on. As if by request, a deep growling echoed in the distance, and then a roar was heard, responding to her cry for vengeance. She turned towards the sound and narrowed her eyes. This all ends tonight, she told herself, and she dashed away at the terrified looks of her subjects in Canterlot.


Hours Earlier


One second they were in the middle of the amphitheater, the other they appeared among their pony friends who gawked at their presence. With no time to greet them, Spike bent to one knee and recited an incantation while holding the sceptre firmly in his hand - while Ember dashed her head around in confusion. In doing so, a bubble sprung to existence, surrounding every pony around the sceptre just as the flames reached them, making the ground shake violently. All around them, the sky lit up in orange and yellow, charring everything to charcoal but themselves. All the ponies hunkered in fear as the deafening sound of the dragon’s breath continued to hit the shield. Then it stopped. Nopony dared to lift their head until several minutes later, Limetone being the first to look around.

The sky was blurry in a dark blue colour, as if they were under water. Spike continued to recite the words until he was certain the dragon was long gone. The shield receded into the ground and the sky turned normal once again, revealing the charred grass and trees that the shield was unable to reach.

Most ponies had risen by now, gawking and slowly approaching their saviours. When Spike rose to his feet and released his hand of the Sceptre, he choose not to meet Ember’s wide eyed look and repeated. “I’m sorry.”

Nopony (or dragon) knew what to say then and only Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie approached them, throwing themselves in Spike’s arms. “Spike!” they cried.

Spike was now twice as tall as his pony friends and had to kneel down to receive their hugs. “I’m sorry,” he said again. “I’m sorry I disappeared without telling.”

“Stop saying you’re sorry!” Ember suddenly bellowed. “You saved their lives and… what was that!? How…”

Rising to his legs, he released a breath and said. “There is this book we found in Celestia’s private library… It told what the sceptre could do and Twilight wanted me to study it. You know, just in case…”

Ember looked quizzically at Spike. “Just in case?”

There was an awkward silence for a while until Limestone entered between them. “I don’t mean to interrupt… Or perhaps I do… What was that thing?! Where is it heading?”

Spike and Ember glanced at each other. “We need to talk,” they said in unison.


***


Long before the beast was sighted, they could hear the roars in the distance, getting closer and closer. Scootaloo caught her heart in her mouth as she saw the silhouette of the beast cover the morning sun. Dust and gravel stirred by her hooves as each wing flap forced wind onto their faces. She and Sweetiebelle could only stare in disbelief at what was coming towards them.

Every pony in the city was silent and motionless. Even the birds seem to freeze in terror at the sight of the abomination of nature. Suddenly, the beast drew breath and an ear piercing roar followed, letting every pony know that this is the end of their mortal lives. Their hearts sank as the sound reached them, forcing them to stagger; but they did not escape, for what could they hope to accomplish by running? Or fighting the winged incarnation of destruction?

Despite this, Scootaloo saw movements at the corner of her eye. A few brave ponies resisted the soul-crushing fear that the roar had emanated, and they did their best to shake some sense into those that remained frozen. Suddenly, Rainbow Dash landed before them and she bellowed at them to move. But Scootaloo and the others stood in a daze, unable to comprehend who or what was calling for them. In desperation, Rainbow Dash grabbed Scootaloo and Sweetiebelle by their tails and tried to drag them away. But her last ounce of hope vanished when she saw a dark light form by the dragon’s mouth, growing larger and larger. This was the end, they all thought.

But as the dragon drew another breath, a stream of white light moved across the sky, knocking the dragon back and forcing the flames back into the beast’s throat. The dragon was pushed helplessly further away until it crashed into the mountains behind it, the beam of white magic exploding on the impact.

Every pony gawked at the cloud of smoke that began to settle in the distance. What happened? Scootaloo asked herself. Then, with a flash, Twilight appeared before them, hovering between them and the dragon. Twilight was but a purple dot in the distance, but it was clear it was her. For who else could emit such power? but the heir to Princess Celestia herself.

Nopony dared to cheer then. Too recently had they been on the verge of death to feel spirited anew. And they were right to be hesitant, for the beast rose from the rubble of the mountain, growling so deeply that it was felt all the way to the city; pounding at their chests and shaking the ground.

As the beast tried to collect itself from the Twilight’s attack, another beam was formed at her horn. A sphere growing larger and larger until it expanded thrice the size of her body. When fully charged, Twilight shot the sphere at the dazed dragon and a mushroom cloud soon formed under it.

Knowing what to come, Scootaloo and the others threw themselves onto the ground, preparing themselves for the shockwave. The trees bent around them and the buildings (that were already damaged) creaked weakly under the pressure. But they held.

They now stood silently and watched as the dust settled in the distance, waiting to see if the dragon would rise again. But the beast was no more and neither was the mountain. Their manes turned grey from the dust that settled around them and Rainbow Dash was first to let out a cheer for Twilight. The rest of the city joined her shortly. Scootaloo, Sweetiebelle and Rainbow Dash tugged at each other playfully, for the relief they felt was unimaginable and they called for Twilight to join them. But she remained hovering a distance away, with her back turned against them. Her wings moved slower and slower until they stopped completely and she began falling head first towards the ground.

Before anypony was fast enough to react to what was happening, Rainbow Dash was already flying to Twilight’s rescue, catching her mid-air. They descend slowly towards the ground just outside the city and a large crowd soon formed around them. Scootaloo was one of the last to arrive because of her injury, with Sweetiebelle following loyally next to her. They pushed their way through the crowd until they saw Twilight’s limp body in the arms of Rainbow Dash on the grass.

At first, they were afraid to meet Rainbow Dash’s gaze, afraid what it would tell. But as they got closer, they saw Twilight’s chest expand and recede, though only faintly. The crowd stood respectfully at a distance and only faint murmurs were heard future back for those that could not see. Rainbow Dash sat silently and stroke Twilight’s mane lightly. “Incredible,” she said. “You’re amazing, Twilight.”

But the silence did not last and the murmurs grew stronger. Cheerfulness spreading, the ponies could finally throw away the shackles of fear and be happy that they and their Princess was alive. Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo’s eyes met and Rainbow Dash smiled wryly, Sweetiebelle nuzzling her muzzle into her neck. But Scootaloo could not shake her concerns away and looked grimly at Twilight. The coat under her eyes was darkened from tears, she noticed. Something had upset her enough to go berserk and something told her that she didn’t want to know why.

In the midst of the cheering, a siren yelled back at the city, making every pony jerk their head around. “What’s happening?” Sweeitibelle asked.

As if in answer, one in the crowd yelled. “The griffons are attacking!”

Every pony looked to Rainbow Dash then, but she kept her eyes low, at Twilight’s unconscious body. After a few moments, she drew breath and puffed at her mane, placing Twilight gently on the grass. “It’s useless to counter them now,” she said, now surrounded by her officers. “We cannot form an effective line of defence under these conditions. All units, retreat! Twilight’s life takes all priority.”

The officers nodded sharply and went to the crowd, trying to bring order to the commotion and to relay their orders. But as Scootaloo and Sweetiebelle were about to do the same, they hesitated as Rainbow Dash remained and whispered to one of her commanding officers. Without hesitating, Scootaloo pressed through, with Sweetiebelle shouting at her back.

Before Rainbow Dash was able to leave, Scootaloo went up to her and said. “You’re going after them, aren’t you?”

Rainbow Dash’s brows furrowed. Scootaloo continued. “Some ponies has to sacrifice themselves for the rest to get out alive. Isn’t that right, Commander?”

Rainbow Dash’s lips moved but no words came out, too stunned to neither deny nor defend her actions. While Rainbow Dash remained speechless, Scootaloo glanced over her shoulder to see Sweetiebelle stand a distance away, looking confused and worried at the same time. She then turned to Rainbow Dash and said. “Go, take her. Twilight needs you. I’ll take the last stand. I know I can do it.”

Scootaloo could her Sweetiebelle gasp behind her and she rushed between them. “No! Y-you can’t. Scootaloo, that will be suicide!”

Choosing to ignore her friend, she stared into Rainbow Dash’s eyes. “I’m beyond healing and I’ll be useless in this upcoming conflict. Equestria needs your leadership. Please, let me do this for you. For all of you.”

She didn’t take her eyes of Rainbow Dash who stared sternly back at her. Her eyes began to glisten and she gave Scootaloo a slow nod. Halfway through the nod, Scootaloo was already away, unable to keep herself composed if she’d waited any longer. But, she was stopped mid-air, feeling a tug at her back hoof. She jerked around and saw a light-green cloud of magic surrounding her hoof, and below, Sweetiebelle stood glaring at her. She said. “You come back alive, you hear? Don’t you dare sacrifice yourself needlessly.” And then she released her. Scootaloo smiled sadly without looking back, her heart in her throat as she flew.

A few dozen ponies had already formed a line of defence as she came. They looked determinedly at her, having seen what transpired and they knew their lot. One more time, they would protect their loved ones. One more time they would soar majestically in the sky. To save their Princess and their comrades on the ground.

Author's Note:

This chapter has been separated into four different chapters. Sorry for the inconvenience.