• Published 22nd Jul 2016
  • 1,523 Views, 10 Comments

Equestria at War - Krystal Dusk



With Celestia's death and Luna's disappearance, Twilight and Cadence is forced to shoulder the responsibility of protecting the Kingdom against the invading griffons

  • ...
4
 10
 1,523

Chapter 7 - Eclipse


Chapter 7


With a frown, Fancy Feathers watched as pillars of smoke rose between the ruins of Baltimare, supplies burnt by the pony army, leaving nothing for themselves. But it wasn’t the waste in supplies that irritated him, but the smoke that covered the sky, ruining an otherwise nice day.

The pony vanguard had fought furiously despite the chaos that had ensued here, but it was nothing they couldn’t handle. Not that he’d been worried to begin with, “she” had predicted their victory, after all. Hence here he was, to witness the rebirth of his ambition, something he thought he’d lost for sure after losing the battle over the Celestial Sea - I’ll make sure to rename it after the war, he reminded himself.

Turning his attention away from the carnage at his claws, Fancy Feathers looked into the distance, recalling that there once was a mountain towering high somewhere in the west. Dust from the blast had yet to settle and still swirled around the countryside, turning the green landscape into a pale beige colour. It was hard to believe that somewhere beneath that cloud of dust lay a huge dragon, killed by Princess Twilight’s magic. Such devastating power! It was fortunate she hadn’t intervened in the war until today, he realised.

Sometimes he wondered if all of this was worth it, as he looked around the rubble. But although he hated the filth that was war and destruction, a devilish grin emerged from his beak as he sneered at the pony prisoners bound by their hooves around him. Their misfortune making him feel all the more satisfied.

For too long had the pony race hindered the Griffons from taking their rightful place in this world. He would be sure to make this the capital of the new world order, he thought, scanning his surroundings and imagining the splendour that he would create. The Griffon Kingdom had fared well during his reign, after all. The local economy flourished and much of the old castle, and most of the town, had been rebuilt to reflect their newly found wealth. Yet, he wanted more, nay, his kind needed more room to spread their wings. And so here they were, all thanks to “her” vision that had told about Celestia’s death; he would’ve been the fool not to exploit such an opportunity. Yet, the war had dragged on and many Griffons had died during the course of the war, not to mention the despair he felt after losing Baltimare just a week ago. After the loss, he’d spent more time a sleep than he was awake, hoping the “she” would give him another sign - in his dreams. Well, he assumed it was a she, she sure sounded like one. Though, her appearance was a blur of darkness, perhaps “it” was a better description?

Walking amongst the rubble of the city, imagining the grandeur that would transform the city under his rule, something soft pressed under his claws. Below him, was a fallen Pegasus with a purple mane and a yellowish coat with blood still gushing from its forehead. Fancy Fathers noticed the pathetic size of the creature’s wings and kicked the body to the side, wondering how it managed to ever become a soldier.

As the corpse was kicked aside, Fancy Fathers heard a threatening growl behind him. He turned and found one of the many bound ponies glowering at him. Irritably, he walked up to the mare and kicked her in the stomach. “Still having spirit, I see? Well, we’ll see about that once we take you to my palace. Your attitude will change then.”

Despite the hard kick that made the mare choke, her expression remained unchanged as Fancy Fathers continued down the road to one of his lieutenants; a big griffon with greying feathers and the supreme commander of his forces, only second to himself. The grey griffon snapped into attention when he noticed Fancy Feathers, his face remaining stern as if it was the only expression he could make.

“Has the city been fully annexed?” Fancy Fathers asked.

The stern looking griffon simply nodded in response and said. “There are some stranglers, but they will be dealt with soon enough.”

“Good, good. What about the Princess? Have you found her?”

“I’m afraid she got away, sir, she —“

The faces of the ponies close by shone noticeably at hearing those words, cheering weakly amongst themselves. Fancy Feathers eyes flashed with anger and slapped the nearest pony within reach.

“So that’s why you fought so viciously!…” he collected himself and lowered his voice again. “No matter, her powers are drained after the battle with the dragon. Princess Twilight is going to have to broker a favourable peace treaty if she doesn’t want the war to escalate again. We might even get Filly Delphia and Manehattan too!”

The pony who got slapped looked in confusion at the griffon’s words. “The-the dragon wasn’t your doing?”

Fancy Fathers pinched her cheek and looked at her arrogantly and said. “Silly girl. Dragon’s are highly unpredictable creatures. There is no dealing with them, there is nothing they want from us, after all.”

“Your highness,” the stern looking griffon called.

“Not now, I’m in the middle of something here.”

Without permission the stern looking griffon grabbed Fancy Fathers by the shoulders and forced him to turn around. Fancy Feathers heart sank at what he saw. A vail of darkness was covering the land as the moon eclipsed the sun, creating an ominous shadow that spread along the ground until the sun was fully covered, turning day into night.


***


Rainbow Dash peered out the window, watching a ring of fire engulfing the slightly smaller moon - suspended in the air and unmoving. The sky looked the same whether it was day or night but her heavy eyes told that it was well past midnight. Despite her tiredness, she couldn't bring herself to rest as ponies, born long after Luna’s reformation, ran through the streets, celebrating the eclipse as a sign of Luna’s return. But she knew better. What this meant for the war and all they’ve thought for, she didn’t know. Thankfully, Cadence had returned to Canterlot to take over in Twilight’s absence, as she still lay unconscious in her bedroom.

Rainbow Dash still recalled the day when Luna went missing after Celestia’s death. She’d have kept raising and lowering the moon ever since, as if reassuring them that she was okay, but no more. Why now? What has changed? Perhaps it was just a sign that Luna would return, after all, knowing Twilight’s distraught? One could only hope that’d be the case, but Rainbow Dash remained sceptical. She shook her head, trying to keep her dark gloomy thoughts at bay. Out of all the things she didn’t have control over, Equestria’s safety was one of them, no matter how hard she tried, there was always some kind of powerful being that could change everything.

In the distance, she heard hooves steps echo down the hallway and emerging from the faint torchlight on the wall came Sweetiebelle, her head drooping depressingly.

Speaking of things she didn’t have control over… Rainbow Dash thought, her mind turning to Scootaloo.

Rainbow Dash met her halfway, awaiting Sweetiebelle’s scolding, as she did everyday since they escaped.

Why did you let her leave, her eyes would say. Why didn’t you stop her?

She was used to it by now. And if it was anypony else but her, she would simply escort her out of the castle. But out of respect for her deceased friend, she resisted the urge. Rainbow Dash steeled herself for Sweetiebelle’s condemning gaze, but was surprised to meet just a blank expression. Somehow, this hurt even worse.

As Sweetibelle stayed silent and looked to the ground, Rainbow Dash took the initiative and asked. “How’s Twilight?”

Sweetiebelle shook her head. “Still no improvement. It is as if she refuses to wake up.”

“Well, the battle was hard on her. She used up a lot of magic.”

“I would me more concerned about her emotional state,” Sweetibelle retorted.

Rainbow Dash knew what she meant. Rarity’s death was hard on everypony, now three more were lost, including Scootaloo, all on the same day. It felt unreal, her friends that she’d known much of her life all simply stopped existing so shortly after the other. It was as if her heart was unable to catch up as she felt nothing for their deaths. Or, perhaps, war had made her truly cold hearted?

Sweetibelle turned and looked out the window. “What do you make of this?” she said. Nodding towards the moon.

Rainbow Dash hesitated to discuss it. Feeling as if Sweetibelle avoid the conversation that they both surely needed, for practical reasons. Well, she would have none of it. If she’d have to be the bad guy, so be it. “I would have done the same if given another chance, you know?”

Sweetiebelle kept her face hiding in her mane, the gloomy light shadowing all her facial features. “I know what you’re trying to do, Rainbow Dash. But I’m as much to blame as you. I let her go when I had her. I could have forced her… Anyway, it was her wishes after all. All she ever wanted was to impress you. Did you know that?”

Rainbow Dash’s eyes began to well and her body trembled. The tears wouldn't stop flowing and she could barely keep herself from whimpering. With wide eyes, Sweetiebelle moved closer, fumbling between a hug and simply holding her, not knowing what to do. “I-I’m sorry… I didn’t mean to—“

Rainbow Dash stomped on the floor, cracking the marble under her hoof. Sweetiebelle start in surprise and watched as Rainbow Dash rose to her legs. Now standing with her head tall, she took a full breath and then looked at Sweetibelle, her eyes still blurry from tears. Half expecting to be assaulted, Sweetiebelle whimpered as Rainbow Dash hugged her tightly with her one hoof. “We’ll make it through this. We’ll make it through this…”

Sweetiebelle mouth quirked and nuzzled her head into Rainbow Dash’s chest. She was their pillar, she thought. They needed her strength.


***


Days turned to weeks and the moon still refused to fall. The constant darkness took a toll on every pony, even with the mandatory sleep schedule, the lack of sunlight was making every pony sluggish and distant. At least the fighting had stopped, Rainbow Dash thought, while peering down from the balcony. She imagined both Princess Celestia and Princess Twilight standing in this spot, looking over their city - their kingdom.

Standing in revery, she turned her attention towards the gate as it creaked open with a great clang as the locks were detached. A frown formed on her face as she saw the banner of the Griffon Kingdom, a banner she had seen many times before during the war. It would be difficult, if not impossible to change how she felt about them, but, she still had to try; she knew that ‘they’ would, if given the opportunity for peace.

Turning around to leave the balcony, Rainbow Dash felt an urge to remain, to not deal with the problems to come. It was so unlike her and she snorted in frustration at her weakness. Yet she remind, gazing at the gloomy ball of dirt in the sky…There were only two reasons for the moon to still be up. Neither of those reasons boded well for anypony.


***


Making her way through the hall, Rainbow Dash tried to recall the speech that she’d prepared, but it was useless, it was already gone from her mind, overtaken by a million other concerns. It didn’t matter, however, she would do as she always did and go with her instincts. They’d dressed her up in an elegant white and golden gown, the sort of dress she wouldn’t put on in a million years. Yet here she was, wearing it, driving her crazy as she kept stepping on the fabric that dragged on the floor. They had insisted on her wearing it, Twilight’s aids, and she’d been too tired to argue and accepted it. But now, she wished she’d stood her ground.

The corridor to the meeting hall seemed to stretch out for an eternity. The endless hallways that looked the same, bland and uninspired. It had been a much different story before the war, when the windows still were beautifully decorated and colourful. Rainbow Dash noticed ponies standing by the sideways as they walked, their heads bowed in respect. She knew that they were busy, yet they had stopped at their procession, acting as if she was a princess. She supposed she would have to get used to it, being a substitute for Twilight while she remained incapacitated. There was no telling how long she would be unconscious.

Among the servants standing patiently along the wall, Rainbow Dash noticed Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie with their heads raised high, meeting her gaze. They smiled at her and she smiled back, offering the only support they could before the big meeting. Their presence meant a lot to Rainbow Dash, making her feeling almost like old times when all six of them were together. But her grin soon faded as they went on, her expression turning stern as they approached the massive door that led to the meeting hall. It all depended on her now, and she had to be strong. Confronting her emotions was not a luxury she could afford.

Facing the door, she took a controlled breath and steeled herself to enter. But then she glanced at her lieutenant to her right and asked.

“What was the Griffon’s name again?”

The guard narrowed his eyes and hissed. “Fancy Feathers.”

Rainbow Dash nodded, understanding the guard’s sentiment. She only hoped that she would be able to hide her feelings better than him. Taking another breath, she smashed open the door, much harder than she intended, as if she took out all the frustration on that one door. All heads in the room turned to her and she flinched and grit her teeth as the door crashed into the walls on each side.

“Of to a good start already,” Rainbow Dash whispered to herself.

Trying to scuff of the mishap as intentional, she quickly collected herself and sat at the end of the table. She let her gaze fall on everyone of the attendees, assessing who they were. They were all here, she noted: Zecora and her Zebra delegates, Fancy Feathers, Ember, Spike, and… whatever the Yak Prince was called.

“Welcome,” Rainbow Dash Began. “Welcome to Canterlot. I cannot express how relieved I’m that you’re all here. The war have hurt all of us and we need to—“

“Where is Princess Twilight.” The Yak interrupted.

Rainbow Dash turned towards the massive Yak. His fur hung like vines over his entire body and face, showing only his mouth and the ridiculously ornamented hat that they all seemed to wear.

“She’s… unwell at this time. If there is anything you’d like to say you can—“

“Princess is powerful. I only talk to the powerful. That only reason I’m here.”

Rainbow Dash grit her teeth, trying her best not to lash out at the rude Yak. Every Yak was rude, she recalled, and took another controlled breath. “Yes. She is powerful and as she is powerful, she can do whatever she wants, and she doesn’t want to be here right now.”

Impossible to see the emotional reaction of the Yak, he stood silently for longer than was comfortable and then sat down on the pillows, seemingly accepting this explanation. Before Rainbow Dash was able to continue, Fancy Feathers suddenly rose from his seat and said. “Excellent, most excellent! My dear, I can see why they choose you to represent the meeting. Your verbal command is most impressive and —“

Rainbow Dash raised her hoof, interrupting the griffon. “You are very kind, my lord. But your compliments are unnecessary… and unwelcomed,” she said while staring intently at the griffon.

Fancy Feathers’s met her gaze only for a second before looking down and sitting back on his seat. “Very well then…” he said. “Right to the point. I’m sure you’ve read the peace treaty and our terms to it?”

Glancing at one of her lieutenants, Rainbow Dash answered. “I have. And they are unacceptable.”

Expecting the response, the griffon remained collected. “You do realise we have the upper hand and —“

“If I may interject,” Ember suddenly said. “This is not why I came to this meeting. My and everyone else’s concern, should be the moon blocking out the sun. And as for you having the “upper hand”, what is to say that we, the dragon’s, won’t join forces with Equestria after today? What are your chances then, my lord?”

The griffon’s beak moved as if he was going to retort but no words came out and he remained silent. Rainbow Dash cast a thankful gaze at Ember.

Suddenly, the Yak jumped up in excitement. “Yes. Yes! Why is this. Why sun no go up?”

Rainbow Dash glanced at Zecora, Ember and Spike. “I take it you’re not familiar with the story then?” Rainbow Dash asked.

The Yak and the Griffon looked quizzically at each other. Rainbow Dash let out a short breath and said. “Many years ago, there was a rift between The Two Sisters, Luna and Celestia. Luna had been corrupted by her vanity and turned into a creature called ‘Nightmare Moon’. She threatened to bring eternal darkness to the world but Celestia managed to seal her in the moon for a thousand years. A few decades ago, Luna had reformed thanks to my friends and I, but… after Celestia’s death, Luna disappeared and we don’t know what she’s up to.”

The Yaks face darkened, avoiding everyone’s gaze. “What…What does she look like?”

Rainbow Dash was surprised by the grammatically correct sentence. “Sh—she looks very much like Luna, only darker, pitch black at places. She has fangs and serpent eyes. Her mane flows like a portal into the night sky.”

The Yak kept frowning, and at the corner of Rainbow Dash’s eyes, she could see Fancy Feathers Gawk with an open beak at the Yak. Her eyes flicked between them and said. “Is… Is there something you two wants to tell me?”

As the Yak was about to speak, Rainbow Dash could see how the Griffon reached out his claws to try and stop what the Yak was going to say, but something inside him made him stop and his claw fell back to his lap, the Griffon staring at the wooden table. “Me think I seen the Moon Princess.”

Every pony rose from the table, expect the Griffon, who remained seated. “How? When?!” Rainbow Dash asked.

“She show herself when I sleep. Told me the ponies were going to attack us. Told me we should attack first.”

“It can’t be…” Rainbow Dash turned her attention to the Griffon. “You knew about this as well. She told you about Celestia’s death, didn’t she?”

The Griffon just nodded, refusing to say anything more.

It all made sense now. All that had happened had been part of Nightmare Moon’s plans, to weaken Equestria, to get rid of… Twilight. Suddenly, feeling her gut clench nervously, she looked to the door and tried to open it. But as she touched it, her hooves was blocked by black magic surrounding the door. The Unicorn guards rose to their hooves and tried to counteract it, but it was no use. Suddenly, a black fog began to seep from between the gaps in the door, slowly covering the entire floor. Everyone dashed to their feet, some jumping on to the table while others tried to break the door by force. It was utter chaos.

This can’t be happening, Rainbow Dash thought. She’d been Nightmare Moon all along. So much suffering, because of her. She could feel her mind swirling, unable to make a cohesive thought. Everyone began to stagger in the room, their consciousness slipping away. She could hear a menacing chuckling, somewhere in the distance, but also somehow around her. But as her eyes were heavy and the fog reached her neck, the door suddenly blast open. The two parts of the door crashed through the window and the fog began to clear around them as fresh air gushed inside. At the entrance, Twilight stood peering at the scene, her friends rushing inside and dragging every pony out with Pegasi using their wings to remove the rest of the fog.

Regaining her senses, Rainbow Dash came to her hooves and watched as Twilight stood proudly at the door. But as her vision began to clear, she realised something was wrong, as Twilight’s body twitched with sparks of magic flaring through her body. Everything went so fast then. They hurried through the castle out on the yard, ignoring the screams and panic around them. Hastily gathered supplies were thrown into carriages and they left through the back door of the castle, leaving Canterlot and its citizens behind to fend for themselves.