• Published 22nd Jul 2016
  • 1,523 Views, 10 Comments

Equestria at War - Krystal Dusk



With Celestia's death and Luna's disappearance, Twilight and Cadence is forced to shoulder the responsibility of protecting the Kingdom against the invading griffons

  • ...
4
 10
 1,523

Chapter 8 - On the Run


Chapter 8


As the thickness of the forest became denser and denser, they had to leave the carriages behind and carry everything they needed on their backs - including Twilight. The battle with Fiurion had taken more of a toll on her body than they realised, making it impossible for Twilight to walk more than a few miles on her own. But, whenever she did, their spirits were lifted for the very fact that she was alive made them hopeful for the future. She was their friend, their ruler and their god, even though she was unable to perform her duties as the former. Rainbow Dash remembered clearly when, after three days on the run, Twilight made an attempt to set the sun in motion once again. But as she concentrated the power to her horn, her body began to twitch; sparks of light flared all over her body, making her spasm uncontrollably on the ground. Twilight had slept for 18 hours that day. It was clear that she needed more time to rest. She’ll be able to do it time, though, Rainbow Dash was certain.

In the first few days of their escape, reports of Nightmare Moon’s conquest of Equestria poured their way. That she’d invaded the minds of the citizens, brainwashing the weak and denying sleep to those that resisted. But the reports were scarcer now, proving that her conquest was almost at a completion. For a time, the Crystal Empire was the only pony force that was strong enough to resist, but even they had to admit defeat as there was nothing they could do to hinder Nightmare Moon to enter their dreams. They just hoped Cadence and Shining Armour was okay.

Along in their escape, The Yak prince and the Griffon King joined their forces until they decided they needed to return to their own lands, understandably concerned for their own realms. But it was fair to assume that their kingdoms fared better than Equestria as it seemed that Nightmare Moon was only able to infect the minds and dreams of ponies, and only ponies; at least to the extent to corrupt their minds. Hence, the other kingdoms remained outside Nightmare Moon’s influence - for now. Both the Yak and Fancy Feathers promised to support Twilight if she ever tried to take back her throne. But Rainbow Dash remained sceptical of this, wondering how much the promise of a Griffon and a Yak was worth.

Ember had stayed with them for a while longer, as well, before she too returned to her people. But as a show of good faith, and a promise, she left Spike with the Bloodmoon Sceptre in their care as the Sceptre was the only thing that allowed them all to sleep soundly at night. Whether it was a stroke of luck or if Twilight had prepared for this outcome, there was no doubt Twilight had a plan as they journeyed through the Everfree Forest, to the Castle of the Two Sisters.


***


With the sky darkened and the forest growing densely around them, the only thing lighting their path was the spells cast by the Unicorn guards and the glowing plants that were sometimes found in the depths of the forest. Rainbow Dash remembered the many times they’ve traversed this forest, monsters and large beast seemingly sprawling around at every corner back then. But as they now journeyed their second day inside the forest without encountering a single obstacle, it was clear that the forest could be traversed safely if you knew where to look. Walking a few metres behind Zecora, it did not surprise Rainbow Dash that she’d been able to live in the forest for such a long time, nor that she’d been able to harbour so many refugees, considering her skill.

The war had turned them apart, but Rainbow Dash couldn’t stay mad at Zecora for her rebellious actions against Equestria. After all, not a single death had been the result of raids against their caravans, nor had their forces suffered complete starvation from the Zebra rebels disrupting the supply lines; as if Zecora knew exactly how much to take and leave behind, all along.

Picking up the pace, Rainbow Dash walked up to Zecora and said. “You certainly know your way around the gloom, Zecora.”

Without stopping to peer ahead, Zecora said. “The forest has its own ways, and if one is able to listen, one may find a path that’s not astray.”

Rainbow Dash smiled, trying to figure out where she was looking. “Makes sense that you of all ponies would know, considering how long you’ve lived here.”

Ignoring Rainbow Dash, Zecora cast a glance to her left and held her gaze for a few seconds before turning and heading in the opposite direction. Rainbow Dash tried to pinpoint where she’d been looking, trying to figure out what had made Zecora turn the other way. But what she found was the prattling if leaves, jittering as if some pony tried to stay hidden in the foliage “I’ve had help,” Zecora finally said, after making sure that the whole party was following her.

“So it seems… Is your base nearby?”

“A camp is very close, but we are many and we choose to stay separate in fear of our foes.”

Feeling there is still slight tension, Rainbow Dash chose not to ask any further about their numbers and how they managed to survive in this harsh jungle. “Will we visit one of these camps on our way?”

Zecora remained silent for a few seconds before answering, as if considering her words carefully. “The ponies have been at war for a long time and there is no reason to think that anything has changed despite the predicament we’ve found. The Zebra kind chooses to remain hidden for a while longer, to see what will happen when the purple princess grows stronger.”

Rainbow Dash nodded. She was just happy that Zecora agreed to help them, they’ll manage on their own. As they journeyed deeper into the forest, the party grew silent, every pony being deep within their own contemplation. But suddenly, they heard a loud noise nearby, making Rainbow Dash turn around to see what was going on. Behind her, she saw Applejack and Applebloom walking and talking, their smiles as wide as their faces. It had been a happy noise and it warmed Rainbow Dash’s heart that the two sisters talking again.

Zecora, however, seemed unaffected and nopony would have noticed the quirk at the edge of her mouth if Rainbow Dash hadn’t been nearby. Making herself grin even wider. Perhaps things can go back to the way they used to.


***


Magic shot through her nerves as every step felt like a challenge and Twilight tried to hide her pained expression whenever the spark ran through her body. She’d overdone it, that time. Her emotions running wild until she saw only revenge in her future, caring not for anything else. It had been her weakest moment and she’d paid the price, limping around as she did, unable use magic at all anymore. Hopefully, it was temporary.

Feeling physical exhaustion fused with her disability, she was unable to suppress a grunt as she descended down a small slope in their way. She didn’t have to look up to know that every pony around her cast worrying glances at her. She couldn’t stand meeting their gazes and even though they were eyes of worry, all she saw was disappointment. Celestia had given her the responsibility and she’d betrayed all of them. And now, Nightmare Moon was at large… just as she’d feared.

From the moment Twilight saw the hateful eyes that night at Celestia’s deathbed, she’d feared that Nightmare Moon would return. That the witch had tried to draw her out, to expend her power in the war, had been increasingly clear as more and more enemies arose. She’d done everything she could to not get involved and fall into her trap, but it wasn’t enough. The death of Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie had driven her mad with anger and she’d fallen into her trap.

Risking to face their disappointed gazes, Twilight lifted her neck and met the expression of the two friends she’d thought had died not long ago. Their smiles offered warmed her heart and filled her with determination to keep on going. Further ahead of the party, Twilight cast a thankful look at Spike who was hovering over their heads, surrounded by a yellowish magic shield, sleeping. Twilight couldn’t help but chuckle to herself how ridiculous it all looked, Spike, laying floating in the air with his limbs stretched out and the Bloodmoon Sceptre grabbed tightly around his chest. He was their only protection against the witch invading their dreams, so it was imperative that he’d be allowed his rest while the others were awake.

Keeping her gaze at the bubble, Spike began to move. With a breath of relief, Twilight signalled the party to stop, allowing Spike to be lowered to the ground. It was time to rest. While every pony else set up camp in the meadow, Spike looked awkwardly around himself, realising himself how ridiculous he looked. Twilight walked up to him. “Good morning, Spike. Had a good rest?”

“Good night, Twilight. Yes, it was nightmare free.”

Spike looked around to see how far they’d come, but his surroundings looked the same, making him wonder if they’ve made any progress at all. “It’s going to be weird going back to the castle again,” Spike said. “Especially now when Nightmare Moon is back. Why do we need to go back there, anyway?”

“It’s where everything began, it’s only fair that this will be the place to end it.”

“So, Nightmare Moon will be there? What do you plan to do?”

“You’ll see, Spike. You’ll see,” she said, walking towards the tent set up for her. Wearily, she laid down on the mattress with Spike placing himself in the corner of the tent. His eyes burned with questions, but he knew that Twilight was more exhausted than anyone, and did not pursue. But Twilight noticed his yearning for answers and said. “What do you want to ask me?”

“What did Celestia really say to you, before her death?”

Resting her head on the pillow, she stared at the tent wall and said. “It’s not what she told me, but what she showed me:


***


“No! it can’t be true,” Luna yelled, walking back and forth in a cramped room. “He was there our entire lives. I don’t even remember a time without him, but… he couldn’t be—“ unable to say the word out loud, Celestia finished her sentence.

“… our father. He may as well be, considering he was the closest thing to a parent. It says so, right here,” Celestia said, presenting an open journal with Starswirl the Bearded’s name on it.

Luna refused to look at it. “That’s preposterous! I mean, what about our cutie marks? Was that part of his plan too? Was everything just a calculated act?” As if hit by a sudden realisation, Luna staggered. “Oh Tartarus… what does that make us?”

Letting the journal hover in front of Luna’s face, forcing her to acknowledge what was written. “I don’t care that he created us. Nothing has changed because of it. We ought to be grateful he did. We play an important part in Equestria so that other ponies doesn’t have to be sacrificed instead.”

“But… but, we were supposed to be special, the last of our tribe! When in reality… we are the first.”

“Well… that makes us extra special, doesn’t it?” Celestia said, moving closer to her sister, finally putting away the journal.

“What about this third mark on the tree then? It was his creation too. Are you still going to look for this pony?”

Hitting the nail on the head, Celestia felt a pang of conflicting feelings. It had been a personal quest for her to find this mysterious pony, taking in apprentices in every new generation. It had been her destiny, of sorts, to find this pony, but now, her quest somehow felt besmirched by what they knew. Realising exactly how Luna felt, Celestia put on a brave face and said. “Of course… As I said, nothing has changed. I’ll continue to search for her and prepare her to the best of my abilities, just like he did for us.”

“I can’t believe how calm you are. Don’t you feel betrayed in the least? We were fooled all this time. Every conversation, every advice, every obstacle we’d faced with him, it was all calculated. Everything, a lie…”

Preventing her sister from saying anything more, she embraced Luna tightly. “I know, we should create something that’s ours and only ours.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Our own language“

“Celi, we aren’t children anymore.”

No, I mean it! Let me start… Senhaza Noucillo

Luna chuckled. “What does that mean?”

“I’ll always be there for you, sister.”