• Published 5th May 2016
  • 1,861 Views, 746 Comments

Refound Love - GamerTag



When you have given up on love, do you believe there is still a chance? If there is, would you take it or give up on happiness all together?

  • ...
10
 746
 1,861

Chapter 47

"Thank you, Beauty Brass," Octavia sighed in relief, "I really needed that spa trip."

"No problem Octavia!" Beauty Brass exclaimed, "Anything for a friend!"

Octavia smiled.

The two were walking towards Octavia's apartment. The cellist was hoping Beauty Brass would stay a little longer so she wouldn't have to deal with Caramel when he got home.

However, once they got through the door, they soon learned Caramel was already there. He was asleep on the couch.

"Do you want me to stay for a little longer?" Beauty Brass offered once she noticed Caramel.

"You wouldn't mind would you?" Octavia asked.

"Not at all!" Beauty Brass replied.

Octavia quickly made her way to the kitchen to make her friend some tea. She was halfway through the process when she heard a scream come from the living room.

Octavia rushed back to find Beauty Brass pointing at Caramel.

"Beauty? What is it?!" Octavia exclaimed.

"Blood!" Beauty Brass yelled in horror as she pointed at Caramel.

Octavia looked at the stallion. She rolled her eyes when she saw he was still breathing.

"He's probably faking his death so we'll pay attention to him," Octavia explained.

"What?! No! It's real blood! He's passed out!" Beauty Brass argued.

Octavia started to shake Caramel, "Quit the act Caramel, we aren't falling for it."

No response.

Octavia shook harder, "If you don't get up this instant Caramel, I am going to march over to the police station and spend the rest of my day with Vinyl."

Still no response.

Octavia stopped shaking. She looked down at her hooves which now has some blood on them.

She smelled it and tasted it.

It was real.

"Beauty Brass, call the police," Octavia demanded.

Beauty Brass didn't argue, she quickly pulled out her phone and dialed the police.

Meanwhile, Octavia attempted different methods to wake the stallion. Water, ice, alarms, even kissing but he wasn't fazed.

In only ten minutes, the police ponies arrived along with an ambulance and they took Caramel away. Leaving Octavia and Beauty Brass in a state of shock.

~•~•~•~•~

Octavia rushed down the hallway of the hospital. She couldn't believe- no, she wouldn't believe that this was real.

Caramel was a healthy stallion, well at least physically healthy.

Could he have done this to himself? No, there weren't any cuts on his body.

Octavia had sent Beauty Brass home before she hailed a taxi. While on her way there, she had called Caramel's family to inform them that their son was unconscious in the hospital.

Caramel's mother and brother were on a train as Octavia walked down these hallways.

The cellist had just been let out of the waiting room and was now on her way to Caramel's room.

They had yet to inform her of what caused these problems, but if Caramel was put into the hospital than whatever happened to him really happened to him.

But even though Octavia knew this, she didn't believe it.

Finally, after walking what seemed like an endless hallway she finally made it to Caramel's room.

She walked through the doors, only to stop and gasp.

Caramel was in a bed with a life support machine attached to him. He looked horrible, his mane a mess and his eyes baggy.

"Are you Octavia Melody?" The Doctor asked who was seated next to Caramel.

Octavia couldn't speak, she only nodded.

"Well, I'm guessing you want to know what happened to your husband. It seems he somehow consumed a dangerous poison. The blood that was on him was from when he coughed. This poison is deadly, and he could very possibly die in the coming months." The doctor informed, "I'm sorry Miss Melody."

Octavia couldn't believe what she was hearing. How could this be fake? And if it wasn't, how is Caramel going to die? She didn't want him to die.

"H-how could he have consumed said poison," Octavia finally stammered.

"A few years back this poison was found to be used in a restaurant to keep bugs and rats from eating the food. It's very possible that another restaurant could be using this poison for the same reason and your husband was unlucky enough to eat it."

Octavia just nodded her head.

After a second of silence, the doctor cleared his voice, "I'll leave you two alone."

And with that, the doctor left.

Once she heard the door shut, Octavia walked slowly towards Caramel. Tears were already forming in her eyes. However, once she was close enough, she broke down crying.

Yes, she hated Caramel for the way he treated her. She hated how he treated her friends. But she still cared about him. They've been together for fifteen years, of course, she cares about him.

Octavia froze when she felt a hoof touch her cheek. She looked towards Caramel who was smiling at her.

"I- no.... thank you for being here Octavia. It means the world to me that you're here," Caramel said in a hoarse voice.

Octavia smiled, tears still in her eyes, "Of course I'm here Caramel. I care about you."

Caramel smiled weakly before lying down, "I can't believe I'm going to die," he chuckled, "there are still so many things I wanted to do."

Octavia frowned, "Don't talk like that, just be happy for the life you have."

Caramel looked at Octavia, "My life is nothing without you Octavia."

Octavia sighed before kissing Caramel on the forehead, "Get some sleep, love:"

She got up to leave, only to feel somepony tug her hoof.

She looked back at Caramel who was staring at her with pleading eyes, "Please. Don't leave me."

Octavia sighed, holding back tears, "I won't."

She sat back down next to Caramel and watched him sleep. All the while, Octavia thought about what had happened, and try to comprehend the fact that Caramel was in fact dying.

She continued to think until the sound of the door opening interrupted her.

She turned to find Caramel's mother and Cherry Fizzy standing there with worried expressions.

In a second, their expressions became ones of complete horror as they saw the state Caramel was in.

The two rushed over to the other side of Caramel's bed as they too watched him sleep.

Caramel's mother rubbed her hoof on Caramel's cheek.

"Caramel," She said in a mournful voice.

"What happened?" Cherry Fizzy asked, looking at Octavia.

Octavia sighed, "It seems he's eaten something which contained a very deadly poison," she paused, "which gives him possibly only a short amount of time to live."

It was too much, and Caramel's mother broke down sobbing. Cherry Fizzy quickly caught the mare before she could fall on top of Caramel.

Octavia teared up at the scene. She couldn't imagine the pain a mother must go through to learn her son only has so long to live.

Octavia then remembered that Beauty Brass asked for Octavia to call and give any details she could about what had happened to Caramel.

"Would you two please watch Caramel for a second, I need to make a phone call," Octavia asked.

Cherry Fizzy nodded, still holding his mother.

Octavia then got up and went outside the room. Once she was back in the hallway she pulled out her phone and quickly called Beauty Brass.

The phone rang two times before the sound of Beauty's voice could be heard.

"Hello Octavia, are you okay?"

"I-I don't know," Octavia replied truthfully, "I just learned Caramel only has a short time to live."

She could hear Beauty Brass gasp, "Why?! What happened to him?!"

Octavia sighed, "He consumed a poison which caused him to cough up the blood we saw."

"Do you need me to come over?" Beauty Brass offered.

"No, I'm fine to thank you. I was just about to-"

"Octavia?"

Octavia's head snapped back towards Caramel's room where Cherry Fizzy's head was sticking out.

"Caramel woke up and he calling for you," Cherry Fizzy explained.

"Oh, alright I'll be back in a minute," Octavia replied.

Cherry Fizzy nodded before going back inside.

"Octavia? Is everything alright?" Beauty Brass asked, concerned.

"Yes, yes. Caramel woke up and he wants me there. I'll call you back later, alright?" Octavia explained.

"Yes, bye Octavia."

"Bye Beauty Brass," with that said Octavia hung up the phone.

With another sigh, she hung up turned around and went back into Caramel's room.

Once she entered the room, she saw Caramel was in fact awake. At the sight of her, Caramel seemed to physically relax.

"Oh, you're still here. I was worried," Caramel said, relieved.

Octavia sighed through her nose.

Even when he's this sick, he's still as clingy as ever.

Octavia reseated herself next to Caramel, who immediately laid himself closer to the mare.

Caramel's family started to drown Caramel in questions about what happened and how this happened.

All the while, Octavia was mentally trying to sort her feelings out.

How should she feel? On one hoof she doesn't want to be around Caramel since he won't let her leave his room for a second, plus he could be faking all of this.

But what if he's not? What if Caramel will die soon and he just wants to spend the time he has left with the only pony he ever loved.

All at once, Octavia was angry, upset, tired, and sad. And even with all those emotions, she didn't know what they were for.

She was angry that Caramel faked this. She was angry that the world made Caramel this sick. She was upset and tired of Caramel's clinginess, but she was also tired and upset of her world falling apart. And she was sad to be able to watch her world fall.

Her feelings were conflicting, and she wasn't sure what she should do.

How could Caramel fake this if he's in the hospital?

I don't know but there must be some way.

I think you just want to find a reason to blame Caramel for what's happened. But he didn't cause this.

Octavia closed her eyes.

Her mind, body, heart, everything was telling her this was real, that Caramel is going to die.

But even then, there was still a small voice in the back of her head telling her,

This isn't real.

He couldn't be sick.

He isn't dying.

"Octavia?"

Octavia opened her eyes, the three ponies were staring at her.

"Are you alright?" Cherry Fizzy asked.

Octavia nodded her head solemnly.

"She's just been through a lot," Caramel's mother explained, looking at the stallion, "We should give them some time alone."

As the two left the room, Caramel's mother looked back at Octavia and the two made eye contact.

She knew there was something wrong.

I bet she has no idea what to think, Caramel's mother thought, this was so sudden, and it's happening all while she's trying to get a divorce.

Caramel's mother shook her head before closing the door, leaving the two alone.

Once the door was shut, Caramel looked towards Octavia.

"Are you okay?" He asked in a still croaky voice.

"Yes, I'm just tired is all," Octavia explained.

Caramel then suddenly moved over, "You can lay down if you want."

Octavia wanted to get in, to make this dying stallion happy during his final days.

However, the voice was still there.

Don't do it.

Don't get in the bed.

You're making a mistake.

She got in the bed. As soon as she laid down, she closed her eyes.

While she drifted off to sleep, she could feel Caramel wrap his hooves around her, spooning her.

Octavia couldn't help but remember the time when she told Caramel she wanted a divorce, how she fell asleep that night in his hooves believing everything would be fine.

How wrong she was.

~•~•~•~•~

After that day, Octavia continued to visit Caramel every single day.

The voice in the back of her head was getting quieter and quieter.

Each day she would bring Caramel something to eat, she just wanted to make the stallion happy.

It was much easier for her to do this since the office was currently down due to their boss being in jail. In order to prevent curiosity, they told the workers that they were off for a spring break.

They thankfully ate that answer up and nopony knows what is actually going on, nor do they expect anything.

Octavia's ensemble expressed concern for the cellist's well being as how she was acting towards Caramel has been extremely different than how she was acting for the past ten years.

She explained to them that she just wanted to keep the stallion happy until he passes to which Beauty Brass supported.

Harpo also joined Octavia's side, mostly because his marefriend did, however, Symphony and Fredric were still skeptical.

"They are both stubborn and snobby," Harpo whispered to Beauty Brass.

"I know! It's a match made in heaven," Beauty Brass sighed dreamily.

As for Octavia's other friends, she hadn't heard from most of them.

Remedy Cure would occasionally call her to discuss details of the divorce, however, Octavia would have to make sure these calls happened somewhere where Caramel couldn't hear.

The divorce seemed almost pointless now as Caramel wouldn't be around for its end anyway.

Sassaflash and Lucky Streak both dropped by to see Caramel before his death.

Caramel basically refused to talk to Lucky Streak, as for Sassaflash he was more than happy to start a conversation with.

Lucky Streak also expressed his concerns for Octavia, however, he understood why Octavia was doing this.

"You're pretending to be the happy couple he pictures in his head," Lucky Streak commented, "It's the thing he's always wanted, I guess."

Even Octavia's parents dropped by to see Caramel.

While Octavia's mother was very upset about the situation Caramel was now in, Octavia's father didn't care and even commented under his breath that he deserved it.

I guess I should have expected that, Octavia thought with a sigh, He's always been protective over me.

It had been about two weeks of this routine when one day Neon dropped by.

The three talked for a little bit before Octavia excused herself to grab some snacks from one of the vending machines near the cafeteria.

She left the two stallions and walked down the now familiar hallways.

After putting in a few dollars and grabbing about five different kinds of snacks, Octavia made her way back to the room.

However, when she was about to turn a corner, she almost ran right into Neon.

"Oh!” Octavia exclaimed, surprised. This caused her to drop a few of the snacks.

"There you are," Neon said as though he wasn't fazed by their collision at all.

"What's wrong Neon?" Octavia asked, picking the snacks back up.

"There are going to be police ponies coming here soon looking for me," Neon explained to a now scared Octavia, "so I am going to tell you this as fast as I can before I leave."

"Tell me what?"

~•~•~•~•~

The door shuts as Octavia left the room, leaving the two stallions alone.

Neon turned towards Caramel who was now coughing.

"Damn dude, are you sure there is no way to stop you from dying?" Neon asked.

Caramel let out a laugh, which formed into a cough, "I'm not dying."

Neon chuckled, "Are you like high on medicine or something?"

Caramel shook his head with a smile, "I poisoned myself."

This made Neon's eyes go wide, "Dude... were you trying to kill yourself?"

"What? No!" Caramel laughed again, "It was a part of my plan! You see, Vinyl is in jail right now, meaning she needs Octavia more than ever. So, I 'poisoned' myself with a potion which would temporarily give me extreme sickness. It has symptoms similar to those of the poison they think I had. The reason why I did that was so Octavia would spend all her time with a dying stallion, trying to make him happy for the time he has left. Then I would suddenly get better, and if by that time Octavia doesn't love me again, Vinyl won't want her back since she left her when she needed her most!"

Neon didn't say anything, instead, he calmly walked over to Caramel, and then punched him in the face.

~•~•~•~•~

Octavia's mouth was agape and her eyes were wide. She had dropped all the snacks in shock.

"Don't go back there, or else they may take you under custody," Neon explained, "I need you- No, you need to run, run to where Vinyl's case is taking place and find her."

Her case is today?!

"Where is it?" Octavia asked.

Neon quickly pulled out a piece of paper and wrote something down, he then handed it to Octavia.

"That's the address, now go!"

Octavia didn't have any second thoughts, she just ran.

Octavia couldn't believe it, that voice she tried to mute out was right, this whole time Caramel was faking it.

And in that process, she had completely forgotten about Vinyl.

Not once did she think about her.

Tears started to fall down her face.

I am such a fool. I should have followed my instincts. Or at the very least see both of them!

The voice was back, but this time it was saying something else.

You're so stupid.

You betrayed Vinyl.

You left her.

And she needed you.

You are a terrible pony.

Octavia finally made it to the courthouse. She entered and after going through the check in attempted to enter Vinyl's courtroom.

"Hello, could I please enter to view Vinyl Scratch's court case? My name is Octavia Melody" Octavia pleaded to the police pony standing outside the door.

"Sorry Miss I was requested to not allow you inside," The police pony explained.

Octavia hiccuped a cry before she walked back towards the entrance.

She didn't want anypony to see her like this, but she didn't want to stay in the courthouse.

So she left and sat on the steps of the courthouse, crying.

After a few hours, she heard the door behind her open.

She looked to find Vinyl, Lyra, and Bon Bon.

"Vinyl!" Octavia exclaimed as she ran up towards the mare.

"I'm so sorry Vinyl!" The cellist explained, "Caramel put himself in the hospital and they said he was going to die so-"

"Shut up," Vinyl hissed, interrupting Octavia.

"W-what, but Vinyl-"

"I don't care!" Vinyl yelled, "Don't you understand? I don't care! You fucking left me alone, you promised me you'd be back and you left me. You left me alone in that hell hole when I need you most."

"I know! And I'm sorry! Vinyl please listen-"

"Fuck you, Octavia," Vinyl stated, coldly. With that said, she turned around and walked down the stairs.

I don't know what hurts more, the 'fuck you' or the fact she called me Octavia instead of Tavi or Octy....

Lyra walked by, not even looking at the mare.

The cellist saw a glimpse of her face. Lyra looked both angry, sad, yet unsure. Almost as though she doesn't know how she should feel towards Octavia.

Octavia felt herself get turned around. She was now face to face with Bon Bon.

"Listen, Octavia," Bon Bon bit her lip, "I don't know what happened or why you weren't around. But I want to hear your explanation."

Octavia opened her mouth but Bon Bon interrupted her.

"I want to hear it when I'm less upset with you," Bon Bon explained, "Because I know I won't think with a straight mind if I listen now. And I know Lyra and Vinyl want to hear it too, especially Vinyl. But we're all in a sensitive place right now, especially Vinyl. I think you need to give her some space."

Octavia nodded, before hugging Bon Bon.

"Thank you, Bon Bon."

"Anytime Octavia," Bon Bon replied sincerely.

They broke the hug and Bon Bon followed after her two friends, leaving Octavia once again alone on the steps.

She was no longer watching her world fall apart, she was now watching the broken pieces sit on the floor.

With herself now alone, Octavia collapsed to the ground and cried.

Author's Note:

NOOOOO MY SHIP!!! :raritycry::raritycry::raritycry:

You wrote this chapter-

SHUT UP JOHN!

Well, this was something. I bet you're feeling angry, upset, or you may even want to kill me.

To that I say, if you kill me the story end here and you'll never know if things get better or not. So please don't kill me :fluttershysad:

I'm surprised that no one commented about the weird detail in the last chapter,

He quickly drank a bottle from the fridge before he slammed down into the couch and growled.

If you did notice it than congrates you get a cookie (Cookies are all I have)

After reading this line,

Meanwhile, Octavia attempted different methods to wake the stallion. Water, ice, alarms, even kissing but he wasn't fazed.

Divina decided to edit some pictures together! I shall try to post them here now (Even though I am horrible at doing so).

Here they are! (If it worked):

And here is mine (You can tell because it looks horrible):

Thank you all for your support on the story! And I'll see you all in the next chapter! :twilightsmile: