• Published 5th May 2016
  • 1,861 Views, 746 Comments

Refound Love - GamerTag



When you have given up on love, do you believe there is still a chance? If there is, would you take it or give up on happiness all together?

  • ...
10
 746
 1,861

Chapter 42

"C'mon, c'mon!"

Caramel continued to search through Octavia's workspace, trying to find something before Octavia woke up.

"There has to be something that proves that unicorn has had her hooves on my wife!"

Caramel jumped as he heard a ringing sound. His head snapped to his phone.

Before he had started exploring Octavia's room, he had set an alarm in order to warn him for when Octavia would wake up.

In a panic, Caramel grabbed his phone and ran out of the apartment.

Meanwhile, in another room, Octavia was stretching as she awoke.

She then grabbed her phone and made her way to the bathroom in order to get ready for her day.

Once she was done, she entered the kitchen and started getting out things to prepare for breakfast.

As she started cooking her meal, she realized something.

Where is my cello?

Octavia turned around and entered her practice room, however, when she was at the doorway, she froze.

"What in Equestria?" Octavia asked herself in shock.

Her room seemed messy, as though somepony had gone through it.

Then, she realized something else.

"Where is Caramel?"

~•~•~•~•~

"So you just left her room as a mess?" Neon asked.

"I panicked!" Caramel exclaimed.

"So, you decided to call me and ask me to come to your work?" Neon questioned.

Neon was in fact at Caramel's work. In fact, Caramel was working while Neon was talking to him.

"Maybe she's telling the truth and she really isn't dating Vinyl," Neon pointed out.

Caramel stayed silent for a second, before suddenly jumping out of his seat, startling Neon.

"That's it!" Caramel exclaimed, "The only way to find out if Vinyl and Octavia broke up, is by having you two date."

"Hell yeah!" Neon cheered, "And maybe I can get a little something from her after."

Shit, Neon thought to himself, fucking shit fuck shit fuck fuck fuckidey FUCK

~•~•~•~•~

"So you need to meet Caramel's mom alone? That totally doesn't sound suspicious," Vinyl commented sarcastically.

Octavia rolled her eyes as she continued to set up her cello. The two of them were in the recording studio, where Octavia was going to record some music for Vinyl's next song.

"I'm sure Caramel's mother just wants to speak with me about the divorce. A common response from a mother who just learned her son is against the divorce with his wife."

"Yeah I guess," Vinyl replied, "But could you like, text me when you get home? So I know you're okay?"

Octavia couldn't help but smile. She stopped working on her cello and looked up at her marefriend who seemed to be shifting uncomfortably. Octavia loved the moments when Vinyl would become embarrassed as she attempted to act kind. This, of course, made sense as the normal thing the DJ would act is flirty.

Octavia grabbed the unicorn's face and kissed her on the cheek.

"Of course," She said sweetly once she stopped kissing Vinyl.

Vinyl just smirked in response.

The two looked at one another for a long period of time. Only to stop when Octavia cleared her voice.

"Shouldn't you leave so I can record?" Octavia pointed out, turning back to tune her cello.

"Hm, nah. Staying here is fun," Vinyl replied.

"Yes, but you pay me to play my cello," Octavia commented, rolling her eyes.

Vinyl grinned, "I don't pay you for that, I pay you to look hot."

Octavia smacked Vinyl on the muzzle.

The DJ let out a yelp of pain before rubbing her hurt muzzle.

"You're mean Tavi."

"Goodbye Vinyl."

Octavia's face was suddenly spun around to meet Vinyl's lips.

"See ya, babe," Vinyl said once she stopped kissing Octavia.

The cellist shook her head as Vinyl left, however, there was a small smile forming on her face as well.

"What a silly mare."

~•~•~•~•~

The day was half over, and it was the time for everypony's lunch break, meaning Octavia was leaving for her meeting with Caramel's mother.

"Good luck Octavia!" Bon Bon said as her friend prepared to leave.

"Don't die, or else Vinyl will have no pony to fu-OW!" Lyra started, only to be interrupted when Bon Bon smacked her.

"If you need anything just call," Bon Bon reassured.

Octavia smiled before turning towards her marefriend.

"Bye Octy. Text me when this is all done, Kay?"

Octavia nodded her head before then pecked Vinyl on the lips.

And with that, Octavia made her way out of the office.

Once outside, she quickly hailed a taxi, got in and the taxi started going to the restaurant where she was planning on meeting Caramel's mother.

Of course, Caramel didn't get her mom to help him in his quest. Not only would Caramel's mother never do that, but Caramel is too afraid to actually TELL his family about the divorce. But... What are we going to talk about? I mean, of course, it will be about the divorce but will she be hostile towards me, will she want to help me, or will she just accept the divorce as it is?

Octavia shook her head.

I'm over thinking this. She probably just wants more details about the divorce.

Then, she realized something.

Would that mean I will have to tell her the truth about Vinyl? What if she can already tell like Sassaflash did.

Octavia's ears perked up as she thought of Sassaflash. So, she decided to call her.

"Greetings Sassaflash," Octavia started into the phone, "How are you doing today? I was wondering if you could help me."

"Hey Octavia," Sassaflash replied, "I'm good, thanks for asking. And sure, what's the problem?"

"Well, you see, I'm meeting Caramel's mother to talk about the divorce and I was wondering if you could tell me how she reacted when you and Caramel broke up."

"Good. She still sends me holiday cards in the mail," Sassaflash answered, making Octavia sigh in relief.

"However,"

Octavia's sigh stopped when she realized Sassaflash wasn't done.

"When we broke up, Caramel wasn't heartbroken. He just wanted to date you."

Octavia let out a groan, "Celestia, why me?"

"I dunno, cause you're hot?"

Octavia grimaced, "You really sound like Vinyl sometimes."

"I know," Sassaflash replied, "I stole that line from her. We texted one another once and she said that about you."

Octavia sighed, annoyed, "Of course she did. And now I can tell my friends that my current marefriend and my ex marefriend are friends."

"Hey, it's better than if Vinyl was friends with Caramel," Sassaflash commented.

"Yes, I suppose so," Octavia agreed, "Well, it seems calling you wasn't very helpful so I shall just hang up now. Goodbye Sassaflash."

"Cya," Sassaflash said right before the call ended.

Octavia let out another sigh, "It seems nopony can help me with this meeting."

Even after saying this, Octavia continued to think of ponies she could talk to so she would feel more prepared to meet Caramel's mom.

When Vinyl flashed into her head, she started to miss her marefriend.

"I wonder what it would have been like if Vinyl and I met under different circumstances."

This sent Octavia into a spiral. She kept thinking of different ways the two of them could have met and have fallen in love. She thought of they had met in a university, or if Vinyl was a teacher and they formed some kind of romance, or even if they met and Vinyl was secretly a vampire.

Octavia giggled, "Maybe the two of us should go out for dinner soon."

With that said out loud, Octavia agreed internally.

After this, the two of us will enjoy a date together.

~•~•~•~•~

Vinyl bobbed her head to the beat. She was working on her newest song, using the music given to her by the ponies she worked with.

"That's good," Vinyl said to herself, "But this'll make it better!"

She then quickly started putting in some of more of Octavia's recordings, as well as a pinch more of Lyra's.

"Perfect," Vinyl whispered as she listened to the song once more.

"Wow, that's a lot of cello music, that's favoritism."

Vinyl jumped, quickly pulled her headphones off and snapped her head towards whoever had commented.

Lyra was standing there with a grin, "What? Did I scare you?"

"Screw off," Vinyl said, pushing Lyra playfully, "Why are you here?"

"Cause somepony who doesn't work here is coming up the elevator. They may be an important visitor so you may wanna go meet them."

Vinyl raised her eyebrow, "Wait, how do we not know who this pony is?"

"The receptionist is sick," Lyra replied, "So there's a replacement who won't friggin tell us who the pony is."

Vinyl laughed, "Wow, if they weren't temporary, they would totally get fired."

"Says the boss who does almost no work," Lyra teased.

The two shared a laugh as they exited Vinyl's office and made their way to the elevators.

They watched as the numbers got closer and closer to their floor. Finally, the elevator dinged and the doors opened.

What the two mares saw, made their eyes go wide.

It was Neon, standing there with his glasses on and a big grin on his face.

"Sup," Neon greeted.

Lyra gave Neon a skeptical look, while Vinyl just looked confused.

"Hey dude," Vinyl replied hesitantly, "What's up?"

Neon stepped out of the elevator and turned towards Vinyl.

"Nothing much. I'm here for Vinyl."

Lyra looked over a Vinyl, confused.

"Oh alright," Vinyl replied, finally understanding, "So this is about Caramel, right?"

"Nope! I'm here to tell you that today is your lucky day!" Neon exclaimed. "You get to go on a date with me!"

"What?!" Both Vinyl and Lyra yelled at once.

"Yep," Neon then brought his hoof around Vinyl, "So what do you say hot stuff, wanna go another around with the Lights?"

Vinyl's response was to kick Neon in the hoof.

"What the hell Neon?!" Vinyl screamed.

Neon suddenly pulled out what looked like a walkie talkie and pressed a button on it. Then, he chuckled,

"Sorry about that. Caramel thought it would be a good idea if I asked you out. If you said yes that would mean you were no longer with Octavia."

"How would that work?" Lyra asked, "You cheated on her, so wouldn't she not want to date you even if she was single."

Neon shrugged, "Fair point."

"And also, you could have texted me that you were going to do, instead of coming here and asking me out," Vinyl pointed out.

Neon opened and closed his mouth a few times, before blinking, "Shit."

"Wow, out of everypony who could have been our spy, it had to be this idiot," Lyra commented.

"Hey! I thought you trusted me again!" Neon exclaimed.

"I do, but I still don't like you," Lyra answered.

Neon sighed, annoyed, "Well I better turn my walkie-talkie back on and tell Caramel that there was static."

"Wait, what are you going to say my answer was?" Vinyl asked.

"I'll tell him you said no," Neon replied.

"Don't do that! Lie! Then he'll back off," Lyra suggested.

"I like the way you think Lyra," Neon complimented with a smirk.

Then, he turned on the walkie-talkie and said, "She agreed to the date, I'm coming back now."

And with that, Neon left.

"Wait," Vinyl started, "Does this mean I have to pretend to date Neon?"

Lyra grinned, "Took you long enough to realize."

~•~•~•~•~

Octavia walked down the block, towards the restaurant. She had decided to stop further away from the cafe so she could clear her mind.

The closer she got to the restaurant, the more dread she felt.

Finally, she was outside the restaurant, where a familiar looking mare was waving at her.

Octavia smiled and walked over to Caramel's mother.

"Octavia! It's great to see you again, thanks for coming! I hope you don't mind that I got us a seat outside but it's so hot today!"

"Hello again Miss Chance-A-Lot, it's great to see you. And I'm glad you got a seat outside, it is a lovely day," Octavia replied before seating herself at the table.

Caramel's mother smile before she started reading the menu.

"Oh! I'm in the mood for brunch, how about you?"

Octavia nodded her head, "Sounds good to me."

And with that, the two made their orders.

"So," Octavia started, "May I ask why you called me here today?"

Caramel's mother took and a sip of her water, before placing the glass back down with a sigh, "I think you know."

Octavia stopped smiling and sighed, "Yes, I do. May I ask what you would like to know?"

Before they could continue, a waiter brought the two the drinks they ordered.

"Well, I would first like to let you know that we understand," Caramel's mother started, stirring her coffee, "And that we aren't mad at you, we understand that the two of you just aren't in love anymore."

Caramel's mother giggled when she saw the relief spread through Octavia's body. This was noticeable by how less stiff the cellist looked, and by how her muscles seemed to relax.

"Oh! Good," Octavia exclaimed, relieved, "Because I still see you all as my family, and it would hurt to know that you all hated me just because of my choice."

Caramel's mother smiled warmly, "Of course not dear! These things happen and we'll just have to accept it."

Octavia nodded her head in agreement before taking a sip of the tea she ordered.

"Now... onto my questions...."

Octavia inhaled sharply as she heard the mother say that.

"I would first like to ask, when did you start feeling this way?" Caramel's mother questioned.

"Years ago," Octavia answered, "These feelings have built up over years and years of neglect."

Caramel's mother frowned but nodded her head, "I see, and when do you think the divorce will be happening?"

"I don't exactly know, but it could possibly be soon depending on how well I filled out the papers," Octavia explained.

Suddenly, the waiter returned carrying the two's food.

As they started eating, Octavia asked, "What's the next question?"

Octavia gulped as she saw Caramel's mother seem to cringe.

"Well.... as a mother I would like to know, how is my son taking this?"

Octavia stared at her food, thinking of how she would answer this. If she told her that, 'Oh! Your son is sobbing on the floor every night and beating up my friends because he thinks they’re dating me', then either she would think Octavia was evil, or that Caramel was emotionally abusing her.

Somehow, even though all of this drama, I still can't bring myself to tell his mother what Caramel is doing....

Octavia sighed.

I guess because I don't want to break up his family, when that will be all he has left after the divorce is finalized.

"He's.... upset," Octavia started hesitantly, "He cries some nights, but he also tries to pretend things are alright between us."

Well.... I'm not lying. Just not going into full detail.

"That must be hard to deal with," Caramel's mother commented in a comforting voice.

Octavia chuckled darkly, "Yes, I don't want to hurt him as much as I am, but I don't want to force myself just for the sake of his happiness."

Octavia froze when she felt somepony touch her cheek. Caramel's mother had wiped a tear from Octavia’s eye.

"I can tell you still care for him, especially because of the fact you were crying," Caramel's mother said, rubbing the earth pony's back slightly.

Suddenly, without control, Octavia started to weep. Caramel's mother instinctively started to hug the mare as she continued to rub her back.

Thankfully, the restaurant that day was not very busy, so nopony could see what was happening, say for a few passerbys.

This scene continued for a few more minutes until Octavia was mostly sniffling instead of crying.

"Would you like to leave now?" Caramel's mother asked.

Octavia just nodded her head.

"Alright, well let me just quickly go inside and pay, and then we can leave."

And with that, Caramel's mother went inside in order to pay.

While she was gone, Octavia got up from the ground to recompose herself. She looked around until her eyes fell upon the food they had been eating. Both meals were barely eaten.

That poor mare, she really didn't deserve to be stuck in this mess.

Octavia's attention was then directed towards the door opening, which revealed Caramel's mother walking out.

"Let's go," Caramel's mother said.

Octavia nodded her head.

The two made their way to the end of the street where they then hailed a taxi.

For the whole ride, the two mares were silent, neither knowing what to say.

Finally, they ended up at their destination. Once they stepped out of the car, and the taxi drove away, Octavia started speaking.

"I would like to apologize for my behavior at the restaurant," Octavia apologized, "It was unprofessional of me to act the way I did."

"Oh Octavia," Caramel's mother said, shaking her head, "You did nothing wrong. You've been under a lot of stress with both your new job and your divorce, so of course you broke down when I started asking you such personal questions."

Octavia smiled, "T-thank you. And thank you for.... comforting me as I was letting out my emotional baggage."

Caramel's mother returned the smile, before turning towards the building.

"Wait, did you and Caramel move?" Caramel's mother asked.

Octavia gave the mare a questioning look before looking up at the building.

Bloody hell! I went to Vinyl's apartment!

Octavia groaned and smacked her forehead.

"This is Vinyl's apartment," Octavia explained, "I go here whenever I need somepony to talk to."

"Oh! Well, that sweet," Caramel's mother commented.

Suddenly, Caramel's mother's face got a little more serious, "Octavia, do you harbor romantic feelings for Vinyl?"

Octavia stiffened, "Well.... I do harbor some romantic feelings...."

Caramel's mother smiled, "Good, I'm glad you can already find somepony who can make you feel loved like Caramel once did."

Octavia returned the smile.

And with that, the two hugged, said their goodbyes, and went their separate ways.

~•~•~•~•~

"Vinyl are you alright?"

Once Octavia had entered Vinyl's apartment, she found said DJ lying face down onto the couch.

"Oh shi- Hey Tavi!" Vinyl exclaimed, quickly flipping over to face towards the mare.

However, she did it too fast and fell face first on the floor.

Octavia stifled a laugh before helping her marefriend up.

Once she was let back up, Vinyl smiled sheepishly.

"Hey so, turns out, I have to date Neon again. Well, not actually date, more like pretend date."

Octavia opened and closed her mouth and few times, before just giving up and shaking her head, "I don't want to know."

Vinyl just smirked, "So, uh, you wanna cuddle on the couch and you can tell me how your day went?"

Octavia smiled, "I would love to."

Author's Note:

Damn, do I love actually knowing what to put in a chapter. It's so much better than having to look at my ideas and thinking "I wonder which one will fit in this chapter?"

Anyway, thank you all again for your support on the story. I'm sorry that this story has been kind of all over the place but I've finally have this story back on track.

See you all next Monday! :twilightsmile: