• Published 11th Jun 2012
  • 1,111 Views, 18 Comments

Darkening Lights - RavenTears



This is the story on how Chrysalis became the mare she is today.

  • ...
3
 18
 1,111

Chapter 3

Chrysalis sat there in shock. Her hooves planted on the ground. Every inch of her body shook. “Kebaij...” She trailed off, not knowing of what else to say.

The warlock stood up, his eyes glazed, “I... must leave now Princess.” And that was all he said before galloping out of the room.

“Destruction?” She thought, her mind spinning with endless possibilities. Nothing seemed real, her own brother? How could Varian, however crude he was, destroy this peaceful country? “Draenor can’t burn in fire, it just can’t!” Suddenly a new hope lit in her eyes, and the fantasy of a glorious future lit her thoughts.

“I don’t care what they say, “She whispered, determination in her gaze, “I will become Queen, and I don’t care what anyone has to say about it.” But suddenly, she realized of how she had not slept, and passed out onto her bed in a deep slumber.

--

Kajen sighed and looked at Eydis, “Love, I don’t know what to do with her anymore... she’s gone insane..”

Eydis shook her head, “Kajen, Chrysalis is not insane. She’s pressured is all, give her time.” Eydis put a hoof on his shoulder, but he shook it off.

“She’s never acted this way before, we tell eachother everything.” he stomped his hoof down angrily, and stared back up at the sky, “It’s like.. she’s changed.”

Eydis sighed, “But you haven’t told her everything either.” She met his eyes, “What about the engagement? Why doesn’t she know?”

Kajen clenched his teeth, “Because she can’t know... the longer we put off telling her the better.”

“How is that any better?” She growled, “it’s not like it’ll affect her.”

“She loves me.” Eydis’ eyes went wide, “She hasn’t told me... but I can tell.” Kajen looked away wearily, “I suppose I loved her once, but everything has changed. And if I tell her now.. with everything going on...” he trailed off, at a loss for words.

Eydis sighed, “You’re going to have to tell her.”

Sighing, he whispered, “I know..”

“Then now?” Eydis looked at him hopefully, “She will think we’re horrible friends if we don’t tell her. Like.. we’re hiding something.”

“I suppose you’re right. But where in Dark Moon is she?” Eydis only shrugged, then smiled. A pink figure was heading into the Forest, “There!”

Kajen called, “Chrysalis!” And flew over, while Eydis galloped.

She whipped around, “Yes?”

“I’m so glad, I..We found you.” He panted, “We have something important to tell you.”

The mare smiled, “Well spill it!”

Eydis and Kajen looked at eachother, then Kajen said, “Eydis and I...are engaged.”

“Really...?” She sighed, “Well I suppose this would have happened sooner or later...”

Kajen tilted his head, this was her reaction? “You’re not... surprised?”

“Of course I am! Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some business in the Forest I must attend to.” And with that, she took off into the woods.

Eydis coughed, “That went.. well I suppose..”

“I guess...” Kajen shrugged it off, and smiled, “Come on, we have some planning to do.”

--

The pink mare ran into the woods, and stopped abruptly at a large cave, “Those fools...” She whispered, a demonic smile stretching across her face. Then her horn glowed a dark red, and the red light spread across her body. Her pink coat darkened black, and as did her soft blue mane. Her eyes changed into a dark crimson, and her wings became darker with every passing second. Her horn grew, and as did her legs. Her snake-like tongue then protruded from her mouth, and slithered back in. “Now Zephyra, now that you have this spell worked out, you can do what you please. You still need to perfect it.. it only worked about five minutes...” She chuckled. “Oh silly me, talking to myself.. how pitiful this is. Perhaps my brothers and sister could keep me...” She thought for a moment, “I can do this on my own.”

“Talking to yourself are we?” chuckled are dark, menacing voice. “Still as crazy as ever I presume.”

“Zador... what are you doing here? I haven’t seen you in years brother.” The goddess rolled her eyes as he stepped out from the shadows. His dark, crimson coat ruffled slightly, and his black wings fluttered deviously.

He grinned, “Sister.. isn’t it customary we should at least speak to each other once in a millenia?”

“Remember what happened last time?” She hissed, thinking of her dead parents.

“We killed them both, you and I...” He grinned, pacing around her, “You and I both.”

Zephyra grimaced, “It was not of my doing, it was of yours.”

This only made Zador laugh, “I watched as you cut our fathers throat, and let the blood fall on to your hooves.”

Zephyra covered her ears with her hooves, “Stop it!”

“So you know it’s true. You can not deny it.” He chuckled, “Now I see you have a new spell... care to share it with big brother here?”

She growled, “Never.”

“Oh dear...” He muttered, “Why don’t I get to know?”

“Once you spend years perfecting a form-changing spell, then we’ll talk.” She turned her head away from Zandor.

He sighed, “But that’s the thing Zephyra... I don’t want to spend years working on a spell, I want it now.”

The Goddess hissed and stepped back, “Get away from me!” She turned and ran, only to hear Zandor chuckle from behind.

“You’ll never escape me sister, I will always find you.”

Zephyra ran, she ran faster than she ever has before. Her mane flowed behind her until her knees buckled and she gave in to the feeling of defeat. Everything about her was a lie. She sighed as she remembered her last meeting with Zandor.

1,000 years earlier...

The clouds were dark, and lighting sprung from the sky, hitting everything in sight, causing fire and chaos everywhere. Thunder crashed, and trees swayed violently as hurricane winds came across the land.

“Zandor!” Zephyra called, “It is time.”

“Zephyra.. good girl. You’re maturity begins as soon as it is done.” The
Goddess of Water grinned, “Once you have completed your task I gain the right to call you sister.”

Zephyra grinned, “Of course Yamuna.” Then she galloped off towards her home, the East Castle. Her then spread her wings and flew to the highest window, in search of her mother.

“Oh Father dear...” She sang, “Where art thou Father?”

There was a soft whimper, “You..You are my daughter..Why would you do this to me?”

“Easy Father. You’re crippled. No longer fit to rule this planet. Look at you, you can’t even walk.” She glanced down at the white stallion, whose legs were crushed into pieces, and pieces of bone showed from the skin, and where some of his body lay secluded on the wooden floor. “This shall end tonight!” She reared up, and whinnied a battle cry.

“But you’re my daughter!” He cried.

Zephyra didn’t even flinch, even when Zandor whispered behind her, “Do it. Now!”

A red light came down from her horn, slicing everywhere it touched. She pointed her horn at her Father’s throat, and watched as the blood spilled from the wound and dripped down onto the floor, letting more blood sit where he laid. Her bones had turned scarlet, and as did his mane. The King’s eyes rolled in the back of his head, and his heart stopped beating. The blood stopped rushing, and outside, it seemed to still .

“Well done Sister.” He grinned, “I can now rule this pathetic planet.”

Orad, God of Earth flew in the window, “Brother! It is I who shall take the throne!”

“But of course not, I am the Eldest!” Zandor growled.

Orad rolled his eyes, “However I am the strongest!”

Zandor chuckled, “You wish Earth. Fire is far superior.”

Zephyra then stomped her hoof down, “Wasn’t it agreed that if I were to kill our Father then I would become Queen? I cannot marry one of my brothers!”

“We lied.” They both laughed at the same time.

She growled, “Then why didn’t you kill him yourselves?!”

“Simple really..” Orad explained, “Father loved you most, he was more vulnerable to you, you were the only one who could destroy him. Love is your weak point Sister.”

Zephyra hissed, “So I killed for the throne... for nothing?”

Yamuna then appeared beside her sister, “You actually believed us when we said you were going to rule? Oh don’t be so naive sister. You’re the youngest, far less experienced then the rest of us. Why would we put you first in line?”

“I just.. thought...” She stomped at the ground.

“Temper, Temper...” Orad chuckled, “Now run along before we decide to kill you also.”

And with that, Zephyra flew off into the sky.

--

Zephyra sighed, thinking of the flashback she had just encountered, "I did not enjoy the blood of my Father on my hooves..." She whispered, "But I would love the blood of any of those who have done me wrong... to stain my hooves scarlet."

Comments ( 6 )

Maybe it's just me, but this chapter seems really hard to keep up with. It's really confusing. Is Zephyra imposting Chrysalis? Or was she Chrysalis all along? And is the death of a king from the past, or present? Where the hell did that god-family come from? I'm lost.

I'm sorry it's confusing.. It made sense in my head xD I'll edit it :) But to answer your questions...
Zephyra was imposing as Chrysalis, but only for a small amount of time-behind her back. The Chrysalis that spoke all through the story, besides the time between Kajen and Eydis, was the real Chrysalis. I tried to note her change in attitude once they announced the engagement.
The death of the King was Zephyra's flashback moment, from when her siblings had last met. The god-family is her family.
I'm sorry if that wasn't clear :c

I think you need to more clearly define where the flashback starts as well as when it's Zephyra instead of Chrysalis.

Vinyl_Scratch: Yeah, I edited it... I hope it's more clear! :twilightsmile:

Hey guys.. sorry it's been awhile :c Freshman year... :P I'll have it up soooon :3

This is great! :pinkiehappy: Keep up the good work!
I hope you don't mind, but I started a fic on Chrysalis's past before I saw this. :twilightblush: I didn't copy you, they really aren't alike. Sorry, I hope you don't mind!

Login or register to comment