• Published 11th Jun 2012
  • 1,110 Views, 18 Comments

Darkening Lights - RavenTears



This is the story on how Chrysalis became the mare she is today.

  • ...
3
 18
 1,110

Chapter 2

The sun rose and set as usual, and the days droned on as they have in the past.

Chrysalis sat in the courtyard, and twirled a flower around her hoof. Humming to herself, she smiled. Then glanced behind her. Varian was strutting around, and grinning deviously. His white coat glimmered in the light, and his mane bounced playfully. Though there was no playful look on his face. His eyes had the essence of darkness, and his hooves thrust onto the ground forcefully.

“Oh why hello there sister!” Varian chuckled, and came up to her, “Why are you all alone? Still no friends?”

Chrysalis narrowed her eyes, “Oh be quiet Varian, no one likes your rude retorts.”

Varian chuckled, “Lighten up sister, smell the roses, or something. Do... something that mares like to do.”

“I like sitting in peace.” She said icily, and she stared back down to her flower. Varian then took the petals between his teeth, and ripped them to bits. “Varian!”

“All in a little fun,” He snorted, “Go pick another, there’s plenty to pick. I’m sure you have nothing better to do with your time.”

“How dare you assume I have nothing to do?!” She spat, “I have a life!”

“Oh you are alive, but do you do anything with that pathetic little life of yours? Look at you. You’re barely even in running for the throne. What’s with those pathetic butterfly wings if you are not to sit upon a throne?”

Chrysalis snarled, “There’s plenty of royals who do not obtain a throne.”

Varian rolled his eyes, “But none of those are the offspring of the King and Queen, Chrysalis. You’re living a lie. I will get the throne. And there’s nothing that you, or Uther, can do about it.”

“Maybe you’re right brother,” She growled, “There is nothing that I can do. However I will be sure that Uther rules over Draenor, he shall bring peace and prosperity to this land. While you bring us destruction.”

Varian growled, “I will be the greatest ruler of all time Chrysalis. I will save this poor country, and rise from the ashes into a new dawn.”

“Rather cheesy brother. You’re running out of original things to say.” Chrysalis turned her head, “As long as I live, you will never sit upon that throne.”

“Then we’ll just have to change that, won’t we?” Varian kicked his sister’s neck, and caused her to collapse upon the ground.

“Are you really going to kill me?” The Princess hissed, her eyes filled with fire.

Varian smiled, “Why of course. You stand in my way.” His horn started to glow, the magic that surrounded it was a sickly yellow, and a light protruded from the top.

Chrysalis only had a second to react, her horn glowed a light green, and she produced a beam that collided with her brother’s halfway between them. Using her power she pushed, sweat came down her muzzle, and fell down onto the ground. Both of them pushed, neither wished to die.

“Stop this madness at once!” screamed a voice. Both beams stopped, and they turned around to face the Queen. “Explain yourselves!”

Varian was quick to react, “I was sitting here, practicing my magic, when Chrysalis came up to me. And began to insult me. I, of course, was not one to take violent action, however my sister here took offense to me, saying that thanks to me, she will never be Queen. And she attacked me Mother!”

Seraph took a step towards Chrysalis, “Chrysalis, I knew you were a bad seed from the beginning.” The Princess’s eyes welled up with tears.

“He’s lying Mother!” She cried out in despair.

Queen Seraph just growled, “Who am I to believe a murderous mare? You were willing to kill your own brother for the sake of a kingdom.” Her eyes burned deep into Chrysalis’.

Chrysalis wanted to explain. Explain that the spell she cast was a stunning spell, and Varian’s would have caused death, not hers. But the Queen would never listen to her.

“And for this, I say you are not my daughter. Away with you.” Seraph turned from Chrysalis, and went to comfort her son.

Varian chuckled, and stood next to his mother as Chrysalis galloped away.

--

Tears fell down her soft cheeks as she ran into her room. This was where Kebaij was awaiting her arrival. “Chrysalis, you must tell me.. whatever is the matter?”

Chrysalis slowly walked up to him, “My family is full of idiots..”

“And what exactly happened?” The royal warlock sat down next to her, intent on listening to her story.

And that what Chrysalis did. She retold the story of what had just happened, and ended up sobbing more tears.

“Shh...” Kebaij comforted her, “Your mother has always been a foolish one. Even from a young age...” He sighed, “Do not heed her words Chrysalis.”

“Thanks Keb-” She stopped. The warlock’s eyes had rolled back, and his body shook furiously, “Kebaij!” She screamed, more tears ran down her cheeks. “What’s happening?! What’s going on?” Suddenly his body stopped shaking, and his eyes returned to normal.

“It was a vision,” He whispered, his hooves nervously shaking.

Chrysalis’ eyes went wide, “Of..?”

“The future.” he went silent, and stared at Chrysalis, fear running through his gaze. “I saw a horrible future my Princess... Things are not how they are now. Everything... everything is chaotic. There is no peace... everyone has changed, oh how they have changed... and Varian... Varian he sits upon the throne.” He stammered, seeming to have gone crazy, “The skies are dark and the ground is covered in the bones of those you love... the ones you love most. The air is filled with ash..ash of burning homes, as the children scream...oh how they scream and long for their mothers... the mothers that shall never return... Everything has changed.. not for the better, oh no... chaos reigns in Draenor... and nothing... nothing... will stop this madness...”

Chrysalis couldn’t speak, she had no words. Nothing would come from her mouth.

Kebaij shuddered once again and whispered, “Draenor... will burn in fire.”