• Published 11th Jun 2012
  • 3,274 Views, 776 Comments

A Study In Nonsense - Professor Piggy



A compilation of stories written for Thirty Minute Ponies

  • ...
5
 776
 3,274

PreviousChapters Next
When They Cry

She was staring at him again - he could feel it. Feel her eyes glaring out from the corner of the library she had set herself up in, cold and unblinking. Watching him. Just like she always was now. For a moment he stood frozen, heart pounding in his chest as he tried to decide what to do, before he slowly reached up with a single claw and slowly, hesitantly slid the book out of place. The mumbling didn’t stop, didn’t falter. It almost never did, anymore.

He had tried to help. Tried to be there for her, and make it okay. He had fed her, and helped her with her research and tried to ignore the dark looks she shot him or the way she sometimes seemed so...empty. And when she had pushed him away, told him she was fine, he had tried to believe it, to push it away and move on - but things had only gotten worse.

There was something terribly, terribly wrong with Twilight Sparkle.

It had started not long after their last trip into the Everfree forest - he had woken in the night to find her standing over him, face blank and eyes narrowed. He had tried to get up, to ask her what was wrong, but...

He could still feel the weight of her hoof on his chest, pinning him down. Still feel her gently stroking his cheek as she smiled that strange, frightening smile. She had, she had lied, heard him tossing and turning and been worried - so she had checked on him. The words had almost been right. Almost.

“After all, Spike,” she had whispered, voice soft and cold – like nothing he had ever heard from her before, “You’re my number one assistant. It’s my job to take care of you. Don’t worry. I’ll keep you safe.”

He turned his head downwards to look at the book in his hands, only for panic to course through him as it was engulfed by the familiar glow of purple magic – as the book tore through the air towards the muttering unicorn, Spike felt himself lifted from the ladder. A moment later he hit the ground, hard and painfully. For a moment, he just lay there in shock. It had been years since she had been careless enough to drop him, let herself be carried away by her excitement – and, he realised as he slowly raised his head to stare back at the unicorn he’d thought was his best friend, it still was.

Twilight Sparkle stood smirking at him, amusement burning in those strange, burning purple eyes. She had done it on purpose.

Before he could run – before he could even think to run – he was lifted into the air again and she took a step closer. Another. And another. Soon, they were muzzle to muzzle. Spike was terrified.

“Twilight, what are you…what are you doing?” His voice sounded wrong. Frightened. Angry. Twilight’s smile grew wider, and she let out a quiet giggle.

“Did you know that Fluttershy is missing, Spike? We can’t find her. We looked everywhere. Where do you think she went?” Twilight didn’t sound worried, or afraid. She sounded…happy. He felt his stomach twist, as terror filled him. Fluttershy was gone. The only pony who might have helped him.

“How the heck should I know!?” He roared in her face – he had to get free. Had to find her. Fluttershy was his friend. Fluttershy had been helping him – helping him try to fix Twilight. He had to find her.

“I know you were visiting her, Spike.” Twilight’s smile disappeared, and there was nothing behind it – just cold, dead eyes and the aura that was pressing ever more tightly against his throat. “I know why you were visiting her. She came here. And she told me. And now she’s gone. Don’t you think that’s odd?”

“I – “

“Shhhhhh. She said something, when she was here. About parasites. Do you know what a parasite is, Spike?”

His head jerked back and forth on its own, forced to do as her magic compelled him. He was frightened – terribly so. But he was angry, too. Twilight had hurt Fluttershy – maybe killed her. And as the knife slowly floated into view, he knew she was going to do the same to him.

He wouldn’t let it happen.

A jet of flame burst forth from his mouth and into Twilight's face, sending her reeling back with a scream and dropping him heavily to the floor. As he lifted himself from the ground his heart hammered in his chest and all there was was anger.

His claws slid out as he approached his still screaming friend - and as he glared down at her, the screaming became something else entirely. Her eyes widened, and she tried to scurry away - but as Spike's claws wrapped around her throat, Twilight Sparkle was laughing.

PreviousChapters Next