• Published 11th Jun 2012
  • 3,261 Views, 776 Comments

A Study In Nonsense - Professor Piggy



A compilation of stories written for Thirty Minute Ponies

  • ...
5
 776
 3,261

PreviousChapters Next
From Ashes

It started with a whisper. A single quiet word that somehow carried out over the throngs of assembled ponies, causing them to fall silent when all else had failed. She watched as, almost as one, the crowd turned in silence to gaze at the stage. She saw the fury in their eyes dim, just a little – and she saw the desperate, hidden fear that replaced it. And she knew, beyond all doubt, that if she could see it then the Pegasus standing atop the stage with her head held high, gazing down on all of them without a trace of fear, could see it too.

Fluttershy didn’t shout, as Rainbow Dash had. She didn’t try to reassure them, to tell them things would be okay and that they could rebuild like Applejack. She didn’t plead with them like Pinkie had, trying in vain to tell them that what they were doing was wrong and that they needed to be united, not divided. Fluttershy’s voice was a whisper, but it rang clearly over the square with a strength she had never heard in it.

“I know you’re all angry. I know you’re afraid, and lost, and you don’t know what to do. And that’s okay – you should be angry. You should be scared. You have every right to be. All of you have lost something. Each and every one of us has. The earth ponies have lost their connection to the earth – that special bond that guides them, shapes them, tells them they belong. The Pegasi have lost their home. Their heritage. Their connection to the clouds. Some have lost…” Here her voice hitched for the first time, but after a shuddering breath she continued firmly, “When Cloudsdale fell, some of you lost your children. And nothing will ever make that alright. Nothing will ever fix that. You have every right to be angry.” She paused, just for a moment, and her eyes narrowed. “But you have no right to blame Twilight Sparkle.”

The crowd erupted at once, roaring and calling for blood. Calling for her blood. She could feel them, all around her, pressing in on her. She could feel their hatred, their rage – and she knew they were right. It was her fault. All of it was her fault. Magic – all magic – was gone because of her. Lives had been destroyed, ponies had died, Cloudsdale had crumbled…and it was all her fault. No matter what Fluttershy or any of the others said, she knew that. But it didn’t stop her wanting to ascend the stage and stand tall with her friends.

“That’s enough!” Came another voice. A voice Twilight hadn’t heard in…days? Weeks? Too long. A voice she had last heard screaming her name, hate filled and tearful. A voice she had never been expecting to hear again.

Rarity climbed the stairs slowly, wincing in pain as she did so and leaning heavily on one of the pegasi guards that flanked her on either side. For the first time Twilight Sparkle saw what the extent of what she had done to her friend. The other unicorns formerly elegant mane was a tangled, limply hanging mess. With every step she took she shuddered violently, and Twilight could almost feel the agony radiating from her – no doubt caused by the vicious burns that covered her body, scarring her beautiful coat and rendering her blind. At her side came Sweetie Belle, hovering close to her big sister and looking on the verge of tears.

As she reached the top of the stairs Rarity pushed away from guard and took a slow, faltering step towards Rainbow Dash, who moved forward immediately to wrap a wing around her and guide her to the stage. Twilight saw the Pegasus turn her face from the crowd, and knew she was hiding tears.

“All of you have come here today because you’ve lost something. Believe me when I say that I understand – like many of you, I have lost everything that made me who I was. My magic. My business. My sight. Everything – “ She paused and leaned almost imperceptibly closer to Rainbow Dash, reaching a hoof down to stroke Sweetie Belle’s mane as she did so, “Almost everything that I cared about. My life is in ruins. I have nothing left.” She lifted her head, and when she spoke again her voice was defiant, “But I am still here. You are still here. Equestria is still here. And it remains so for only one reason: Twilight Sparkle. You may all sneer and frown, you may call her a monster – but without her we would all be dead! And I, at least, am grateful. Twilight did her best – but she couldn’t save us all.”

“Twilight Sparkle is a hero. No matter what any of you think of her, no matter how history remembers her, that unicorn saved the world. Thanks to her, we can rebuild and create a new future. Without her, we would not have one at all.” Rarity turned her head, and her sightless eyes locked straight onto Twilight.

“And wherever Twilight Sparkle is hiding, I hope she hears this, and knows that her friends love her. Her friends know the truth. Wherever you are, Twilight, come home. Please. We need you.”

As the unicorn was guided away by her love and her sister, Twilight fought back tears.

Perhaps, a part of her whispered, she hadn’t lost everything after all.

PreviousChapters Next