• Published 11th Jun 2012
  • 3,261 Views, 776 Comments

A Study In Nonsense - Professor Piggy



A compilation of stories written for Thirty Minute Ponies

  • ...
5
 776
 3,261

PreviousChapters Next
Chocolate Chips

Pinkie Pie lay on her side with a frown on her face and her forelegs wrapped tight around a tiny, sobbing Pegasus. That wasn’t really new, or anything – it had been happening more and more and really that was the problem because if it was happening more that meant it wasn’t happening less and that meant that Pound was still having nightmares and that meant that she hadn’t been able to make them go away. And that didn’t make sense. She’d always been good at getting rid of nightmares – she’d been giggling at ghosties and sending them running with their tails between their legs, or maybe not their tails because not all ghosties had tails and it was kinda mean to just pretend they did but they all had something like tails or stingers or claws or pumpkins, but most of them had tails and not pumpkins so – she was getting distracted. That was bad – not always, but right now there were super duper important things to think about and she had to focus.

The point was that she’d been chasing ghosties away just about every single night for her whole entire life, and she’d only met a handful she couldn’t beat. But she’d tried everything she knew how, and none of it was helping poor Pound. She’d sung and danced and told stories and laughed and sung some more. She’d even tried telling him that ghosties weren’t real and couldn’t hurt him, even though she’d felt guilty for days after – she’d always promised herself that she wouldn’t lie to the twins no matter what, and then she had. And it hadn’t even helped! Pound had just looked at her like she was crazy – like she would’ve looked at anypony who’d tried to tell her cupcakes weren’t real! He was a smart cookie. Or maybe a smart Pegasus, since she was pretty sure he wasn’t actually a cookie at all. If he was, he’d probably have been chocolate chip – all sweet and tough and filled with the delicious, chocolatey chips of terror.

And she couldn’t even pick out the chips. Not that anypony would ever want to pick the chips out of chocolate chip cookies – they were totally the best part, and that meant cookies were a terrible metaphor for ponies, which she’d kind of known but never known why and now she did and she was getting distracted again. Probably because she was tired. Or maybe it was just how she was, and all the ponies who’d told her she was too weird or too dumb to look after kids had been right. But thinking like that wouldn’t get her anywhere – except maybe down to Applejack’s for some cider, and as tempting as that was it wouldn’t help Pound. And helping Pound was more important than cider. She just wished she knew how to do it. But all she could really do was hug the little guy tighter – and when she did that, he lifted his head from her chest and peered up at her with big sad puppy dog eyes. Kinda like Rainbow Dash when the weather was really super duper bad and Pinkie asked her not to go out in case she died, except with less wheedling. Rainbow Dash was a really good wheedler.

“Pinkie?” Pound sobbed loudly, in what Pinkie assumed was intended to be a whisper, “How come you can be so happy all the time? Don’t you miss them?”

Pinkie’s first thought was of her own parents, and she had to shake the thought away – it was selfish, and selfish ponies didn’t get smiles. They got frowns. And sad friends. And fewer parties. Besides, Pound had never met her parents – but he had met his own, and he still missed them very much. Maybe that was why he had nightmares? She didn’t know – it wasn’t like his nightmares were about his parents, they were about being lost or alone or being eaten by big scary monsters or once about fire but now he was kind of used to fire and that was good because every baker had to be prepared for fires at all times! But Twilight had said something about bad dreams having a root cause, like a tree but a really mean tree that grew bad dreams and sent them off after ponies, and had roots made of bad memories. So really not like a tree at all. The point was that if she tried talking to Pound and didn;t mess it up this time, maybe it would really help. So she smiled, and rested one hoof on the kid’s head.

“Of course I miss ‘em – I miss them every day, and sometimes it hurts a whole lot, but being sad all the time won’t bring them back. And they wouldn’t want me to be sad – whenever I was sad, or you were sad, or Pumpkin was sad, they used to drop everything just to make it better! They wanted ponies to be happy, and they made my life a whole lot better – they’d want me to smile. And they’d want me to try and make you smile, too. But only if you mean it.”

“But how do you mean it? How can you keep going knowing you’ll never see them again?”

Pinkie paused before she answered. She wasn’t good with words, and she was even worse at voicing her thoughts.

“I always kinda thought life was like a story. Or a song. Maybe both? It doesn’t really matter which – songs are just stories with music anyways. And all stories have an ending – and the ending’s important, but it’s not what makes the story great. That’s what happens in between. All the adventures you have and the friends you make and the stuff you learn; it’s all part of your story, and you just gotta keep going and hope it’ll be a happy one. But the thing with stories is that sometimes they don’t go quite the way you want. Sometimes they get really sad, and things don’t get better. And sometimes they end sooner than you want them to, like your mum and dad’s did. But that doesn’t make the story less beautiful – and it doesn’t mean you can’t be glad you got to share in it.”

“Oh.” Pound was quiet for a long time, and Pinkie couldn’t help worrying that she had said the wrong thing again. Then, quiet as a mouse, he whispered, “Will you maybe tell me their story, sometime?”

Pinkie smiled wider and nodded her head before kissing the little Pegasus on the forehead. “Of course! But not tonight, okay? You need to get some rest. And I think your sister might want to hear this too.”

Pound beamed back at her for a moment before burying his face in her fur again. Soon, his snores echoed through the room, and, as Pinkie began to drift off to sleep, she couldn’t help but feel just a little bit proud of both of them.

Author's Note:

The prompt:

“Darlin’, don’t you lay yourself down.
We live in a fable.
We live in a make-believe town,
All cardboard and dust …”
(“Lay Yourself Down,” The Bangles)

This one is in continuity with Pinkie Pie Style and Recipe for Success. Probably between them chronologically.

PreviousChapters Next