• Published 11th Jun 2012
  • 3,262 Views, 776 Comments

A Study In Nonsense - Professor Piggy



A compilation of stories written for Thirty Minute Ponies

  • ...
5
 776
 3,262

PreviousChapters Next
Shine

Subtlety, Celestia reflected, was not her sisters strong point. The ballroom was a sea of colour, mostly dark blues and purples, and had been thoroughly festooned with balloons, streamers and a great many other decorations – she had so far counted at least a half dozen piñatas, and…was that a giant rubber spider, hidden on the ceiling? It seemed Luna was planning a prank - she had to smile at that, though it did nothing to ease the churning worry in her gut. Regardless, the party was set to be magnificent - even had she not known just whom Luna had enlisted to assist in the planning of her party, there was no doubt in her mind that she would have been able to guess without any great difficulty.

As it was she didn’t need to – she could see them from where she stood, huddled in the corner whispering to each other and occasionally pausing to shoot her what she assumed were supposed to be surreptitious glances simultaneously. Her sisters face was a somber mask, and she nodded gravely at every word pouring from the grinning pink pony’s mouth – she was, no doubt, taking the whole affair entirely too seriously. Every moment would be perfectly scripted – for the twenty seconds it took Luna to grow frustrated with the script and begin being herself, as which point the party would begin in earnest.

Slowly, clearing her throat so as to give them plenty of warning, Celestia approached the pair with a smile on her face. As she did she saw Pinkie Pie reach out and nudge Luna in the side, cutting her off mid-sentence. Luna glanced in her direction and her eyes grew wide. As Celestia drew closer her sister began to speak again, voice dripping with what she was quite sure was not at all feigned sincerity.

“As I was saying, my sister simply must be present on the stage with me! To have it otherwise would be doing her a great disservice, after all she has done for me, and I love her so, Pinkamena!”

“Huh?” Came the response from the party pony, “But weren’t you just saying that you’re kinda worried that the ponies will pretend to like you just bec –“ This time it was Luna who did the nudging, and the pink pony stopped, eyes darting back and forth between the two alicorns, before continuing, “-ause you’re a Princess, and not for who you are which really has nothing to do with Celestia so really you should probably just ignore me! I’m such a silly pony.”

Celestia stared at the two ponies as they shot her almost identical forced smiles, trying very hard not to giggle. When she finally had herself under control she feigned a sad sigh, and gave her sister her best regretful look.

“I was actually hoping to speak to you about that, dear sister. It seems that I will be unable to attend the party – the Griffon Ambassador has requested an urgent meeting with me and I simply must attend.”

Luna rolled her eyes, trying her best to look disappointed. “The Griffon Ambassador has a crush on thee! There is only one kind of liason he seeks with you, and you know it!”

Celestia really did laugh then – not a subtle giggle, but a bellowing, happy laugh that echoed through the room. “Perhaps so,” she managed eventually, “But it is my duty, and I have put him off for too long.”

And then, on impulse, she threw her forelegs around Luna and hugged her tightly. “I missed you, little sister. I missed this. I love you, and I promise you that our subjects will as well. You can do this.”

Luna was tense for a moment, but then she relaxed and hugged Celestia back just as tightly. “I love you too, Celestia. It is…good to be home.” Her voice was a whisper, and when she spoke again it faltered, just a little, and she pulled back to look Celestia straight in the eyes, “Dost thou truly believe I can do it? Even…even after…”

“You can.” Celestia spoke firmly, offering her sister a warm smile even as her stomach churned. This night was Luna’s first chance, her first attempt to win over the ponies that she feared hated her. She wanted to be there, to stand beside her sister…but she couldn’t. With her present, Luna’s ever present self-doubt and the love their subjects had for her subjects would lead to her being overshadowed, and the entire party would be pointless.

She knew Luna would succeed. She knew it. But the thought of not being there to see it made her a little sad.

“I believe in you, Luna. You are an amazing, wonderful pony and you have done much for Equestria. Think of Ponyville, dear sister, and know beyond doubt that the ponies there love you –“

“It’s true!” Pinkie piped in cheerfully, and Luna rewarded her with a small smile.

“- and that soon the rest of Equestria shall follow.” Celestia finished gently.

“Thank you.” Was all Luna said, before turning back to the party pony with a wide, genuine smile on her face.

Hours later, as Luna ascended the stage and began to speak, her eyes locked onto Celestia’s and she smiled. Celestia smiled back before turning without a word and making her exit. As the doors shut silently behind her, Celestia finally let the tears come and whispered, “I’m so proud of you, my sister.”

PreviousChapters Next