• Published 24th Jul 2015
  • 20,899 Views, 908 Comments

An Unexpected Life - alejin



Saved by his mother from drowning when he was a baby, Saved by Celestia who found him and raised him as a son, what kind of adventures are awaiting for Bright Sunny, let's find out.

  • ...
61
 908
 20,899

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 33, Time Off (Season Finale)

Bright woke up, feeling a little better than he had the previous night. Truth to be told, he still felt like shit. He still thought life sucked, but at least he was better than yesterday. After a refreshing shower, Bright put on his clothes choosing, of course, his full black attire. He exhaled heavily, and exited the room to face the cruel reality. While on his way to the dining room, he was tackled by his favorite pink pony. It was Cadence (although a flying tackle such as this would have led one to believe it was Pinkie Pie). He was shocked, how had she gotten there so fast?

“Oh Bright! I’m sorry! I’m so sorry!” She gushed, the beginnings of tears rimming her eyes. “But please know I’m here for you. We are all here for you!”


“She is right, Bright! You won’t endure this alone.” Shining Armor said, as he gave Bright a supportive hug.


Bright returned it gladly. His spirits lifted, the three of them proceeded to continue their walk to the dining room. Once there, he noticed all the Elements were in attendance. Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy immediately hugged him, both of whom were crying. After some stroking and mutually supportive assurances, they both felt better and Pinkie’s previously flattened mane regained its trademarked fluffiness. She privately noted to plan a “Get Better, Mourning/Recovery” party later. The rest of the Elements also gave him their condolences. The last one was Twilight, who hugged Bright warmly and started to cry.


“I’m... so sorry. I really am! Even if we weren’t close at all... I’m so sorry this happened to her. Nopony deserves what happened, or what you’re going through.”

Hugging his friend tightly, Bright replied, “I know Twilight, and thank you.”


Everypony smiled in response to the display. It was so good to see how they’d managed to amend their friendship. Twilight’s parents also gave him their condolences. He was grateful for them. In his heart, he knew that this was what he needed the most now: his family with him, giving support. It would have been perfect if only the rest of his family from Minus could have been there. After a quick breakfast, he lost no time in proceeded to the hospital.

When he arrived, a nurse told him where his fiancé was. Using his powers to increase his speed, he arrived there in seconds. Flying Hope was there, surprisingly awake. She had bandages across much of her body. She was staring the ceiling when he entered, but once she noticed Bright, she immediately covered her face with the sheet.

“Please... don’t look at me! I look horrible!” She cried out from beneath her sheet.

Bright carefully removed the sheet and hugged her like he never had before. She tried to back off, but gave up quickly. Despite her image issues, she didn’t want him to let her go.

“You, horrible? The most beautiful mare in the world? Don’t joke like that!” Bright teased lovingly.

Flying Hope started to cry and tightened the hug. They kissed, but she hissed in pain a little from the burns around her face. Bright noticed, and eased off on the hug a little. Flying looked into his eyes and said:

“My mom... my mommy is... ”

“I’m so sorry my love... I wasn’t there in time.”

“No... it’s not your fault Sweetie. Please don’t blame yourself.”

“Thank you, but... I also wasn’t able to kill that bastard. I couldn’t avenge y-“

SLAP!!

Bright felt his cheek sting from the hit... delivered by his fiancé. She looked ,her eyes filled with shock and concern, screamed:

“DON’T YOU DARE TO SAY THAT! AVENGE MY MOTHER? KILLING THAT DRAGON? BRIGHT! YOU THINK SHE WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOU CONSUMED BY VENGEANCE?! PLEASE, DON’T DESTROY THE IMAGE SHE HAD OF YOU! THE IMAGE WE HAVE OF YOU! PLEASE... Please... never say anything like that again...”

Bright was rigid with shock. How could he have been so stupid! Flying Hope was right, just like Mr. Onyx and his mother. He was thinking like... the nightmares. He immediately hugged his princess, who hugged him back.

“I’m... I’m sorry.”

“It’s ok. Don’t worry, as a good wife, I will always be there to help you come to your senses.”

“I couldn’t ask for anything better. Thank you, my love.”

Both of them laughed, but still, the sadness was there.

---

After a couple of days, once Flying Hope was healed enough to be transported by wheelchair, everypony in Canterlot gathered in the center of the city for the public funeral service. Many coffins were laid out, each with the Equestrian flag draped over them. The grieving families were all in attendance; some to bury their lost in Canterlot and others to take their loved ones to their home cities to bury them there after the public event. The massive funeral was deeply emotional, yet uplifting. Many ponies laid bouquets of flowers, and some of the more emotional families hugged their loved ones coffins. Bright and Flying hugged Sweet Rose’s as his mother gave a sad but beautiful speech. Breaking tradition, the royal family decided to bury Sweet Rose in the Royal’s graveyard, even though she would technically have only been semi-royalty by proxy even after Flying’s wedding. Nopony, not even BlueBlood, dared to say anything against it. Especially after seeing Bright’s, Celestia’s, Luna’s forceful gazes.

“Until we meet again, my dear friend.” Bright whispered, as he placed a rose on the tombstone.

Later, back in the castle, everypony was having a late lunch. The party had broken into smaller, more private groups, to eat as they remembered the deceased. Bright for his part, was in the balcony alongside Flying Hope. He was trying his best to keep cool and collected, but it was difficult. At least, as his mother said, his love was still by his side. They sat together and stared at the view for what felt like hours. It was a beautiful moment in an ugly time. Sooner than they had thought, the moon was raised and they proceeded to their room. They needed each other so much at that moment. They needed to be in their happy place... and that was in each other arms and hooves. They didn’t sleep at all. It was a busy night.

Some days later, Cadence and Shining returned to their Empire and the Elements returned to Ponyville. Bright was considering visiting that little town. From what Twilight told him, the place was very calm and quiet. Maybe that was what they needed, just but not at that moment. Something was really bothering him ever since he returned from the Crystal Empire, and his clash with the dragon confirmed it for him.
He was still too weak.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bright was training in Canterlot’s gym, punching the sandbag. Everypony present had stopped their exercises to stare at him, making the scene very uncomfortable. For the last few days, everypony had looked at him with only pity in their eyes. While he was sad for his mother-in-law, he didn’t want pity! He made a mental note to ask his mother if he could renovate one of the castle’s room into gym. Flying Hope wasn’t doing any better; receiving more pitiful stares than even he was. Once he took a shower and got redressed, he returned to the castle. That night on his balcony, while Flying Hope was resting in his bed, he stared off into the distance towards where Minus was located.

“I will never get stronger here!” he thought to himself.

“What are you thinking my son?” a sweet voice next to him asked.

“Sigh. Hi mom.”

“Not surprised at all?”

“Nope. You’re getting predictable.”

“Too bad. So tell me, are you worried about something? Or just still grieving?”

“Hmm, I was thinking about... maybe... traveling to Minus for a season or so.”

Celestia’s eyes widened.

“But, you traveled there not so long ago... and Flying Hope needs you!”

“Yes, but after I wrote them about what happened, they insisted I visit.” He lied glibly, “To be honest, I think a little time off from Equestria will be very nice. For both of us.”

“Both of you?”

“Yes. Flying Hope is coming with me. We already discussed it and she agreed, but only if I take her with me.”

“A-Are you sure Sweetie? I mean... Minus?”

“I want her to know where I grew up. Like how I will show you too someday.”

“Sigh. If you think that way, and Flying Hope is willing, then you may go.”

“Really? You aren’t going to stop me?”

“I really don’t want you to go, but I also want to trust your judgment. If you think this will help you both heal, then I’m with you.”

“Thanks, Mom.”

“Just one question: How long is ‘a season or so’?”

“Four or five months, most likely.”

“WHAT!? But... it’s too much time. How about two weeks?”

“Mother...”

“Please Bright! I don’t want to be separated from you for that long! Please?”

“Mother.“

“Alright... one month! No more!”

“MOTHER!”

“OK! But after this, no more trips far from Equestria for at least a year!” She proclaimed, before whispering into his ear, “Take it or leave it!”

“Deal!”

They both laughed and hugged each other. In her mind, Celestia was already preparing herself for very long boring season apart from her son.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

After a couple of days, Bright was ready for his trip. His mother carried him on her barrel to the train station (her one other condition to let him go). Flying Hope rode alongside in the Royal Chariot, and was trying her absolute hardest to not laugh seeing her fiance and the princess in such a cute scene. When they arrived at the station, everypony they were close with was already there waiting to say farewell, including the Elements, Twilight’s parents, Cadence, Shining Armor, and Princess Luna.

After some warm words and farewells, Bright and Flying Hope proceeded to enter the train.

“Wait!” a pony screamed. It was Twilight. Bright turned and crouched so they could talk privately, eye to eye.

“What is it Twilight?”

Twilight was playing with her hooves, gathering the braveness to tell him what she so desperately wanted to say.

“Please... be careful. And come back safe.”

She then turned to Flying and gave her a hug.

“You too Flying. Please be safe and take care of him. He needs you to keep an eye on him so he doesn’t do anything stupid.”

Flying Hope smiled and returned the hug.

“Thanks Twilight and don’t worry, he is in good hooves.”

Twilight nodded and went back to the group. They waved their hooves and hands respectively at the group one last time, and entered the train.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After many hours, Bright and Flying Hope finally arrived at his cave. Flying looked at it with wonder in her eyes. This was the place where her prince grew up? No wonder he was so tough.

Bright smiled at this. His marefriend was so easy to impress with such little things. Once they entered, he was about to point out something of interest when-

“SURPRISE!”

The couple fell on their butts and saw his cave decorated. It was a party! And who else was in attendance, but Mrs. Margaret, Mr, Jilt and Zahari! All of them hugged him warmly.

“Oh my sweet Steel! I’m so glad you are here and we are sorry about everything!” Mrs. Margaret gushed, until she noticed the mare at his side.
“Oh my my... and who is this incredibly beautiful mare?”

Bright broke the hug and started introductions.

“This is Flying Hope, my fiancé and daughter of... you know.”

Immediately hugging her warmly, Margaret said, “Nice to meet you sweetie and thank you. Thank you for loving my sweet Bright. And we are sorry for… for your mother.”

Jilt and Zahari nodded in mutual agreement.

“Thank you Mrs. Margaret,” Flying replied, “And don’t worry, she always believed in Elysium and I’m sure she is right there now with my father.”

“That’s good to hear Sweetie. But don’t you forget, we’re here for you now as well.”

“Yes, quite. Steel, Flying Hope... you are never alone. You can always count on this old griffin.” Jilt said.

“And this sexy Zebra.” Zahari finished.

“HAHAHAHAHAHA! Thanks everyone!” Steel said and hugged them again. Flying Hope did the same. She already liked these creatures and was glad to know her sweet Prince had a nice family during his childhood.

After introductions, they proceeded to have a nice lunch and Steel related to them everything that had happened in greater detail than his letter provided. It was sad, but somehow, talking it out with them make him feel a lot better. Made both of them feel better. They talked for hours. It was hilarious hearing Mr. Jilt ask Flying if she had any single, pretty aunts. Margaret punched admonishingly him in the beak... but also asked her about any handsome uncles. Bright laughed like crazy that night. With the party over, they spent the night in Mrs. Margaret’s house.

Mrs. Margaret’s house wasn’t a mansion, but it had enough rooms for everyone. Flying and Bright decided to spend the night in their own rooms. The last thing they needed was for everyone to... hear them. Though they made a note to spend the next night in his cave.

It was the 5 AM in the morning. Steel was sleeping peacefully thanks to Aunt Luna when, without warning, cold water was poured on him.

“Gah! Ah- What!?” he gasped out in shock. When he wiped his eyes clear of enough water to identify the culprit, he saw Zahari with a bucket in her hooves.

“Zahari? What the Hell?”

“Get up! I didn’t think palace life would make you this soft. We need to start early.”

“Start early?”

“C’mon! No time to lose!”

“Ok ok ok!” Steel said and got dressed. Thanks to Zahari’s method of waking him up, a shower was no longer necessary.

Once they were out of the house, Zahari took Steel to a solitary plain.

“Ok Steel, show me.”

“Show you what?”

“In your letters, you told me you could now fly using the thunder. Let me see.”
“Oh! Alright, here I go!”

Steel proceeded to show Zahari how he kicked the air with his electrified feet to stay in the sky. He was still new and a bit shaky, but after some days of training in Equestria, he was almost getting a hang of this new ability.

“Amazing! You managed to do what Strong Will only dreamed of!”

“What? Really?”

“Yes. Alright Steel, you have proven yourself. You have proven there are still more abilities to discover with you powers! Maybe you can achieve even what I couldn’t!”

“What do you mean Zahari?”

“You’ll see soon enough my sweet human. If you are willing to train with me every day during your stay here, maybe we can unlock the true potential of your thunder.”

Bright eyes widened in shock. This was great!. He already had planned to ask Zahari to train him to become stronger, but now she was offering it herself! There was no way he’d say no.
“Alright Master Zahari, you’ve got a deal!”

“Good. Now, first we will spend a month strengthening your body so it can endure the next level of training. That will be the easy part.”

“Easy part?! And what you mean Next Level?”

“You will see. If you manage to reach the necessary level of toughness... I will teach you to become...
“ONE WITH THE LIGHTNING!!!””

Steel was speechless, but he knew Zahari wasn’t joking, despite her dramatic flair at the end. Just what was she going to teach him? It didn’t really matter. If it helped him to endure future threats and to protect his family, friends, and Flying, he was more than up for it. These months were going to be tough, and he was fine with it. With his mood higher than ever, he looked at the sky and thought:

“Mr. Onyx... Mother... Sweet Rose... Give me strength!”

(SEASON FINALE)

Author's Note:

Ok, Finally!! I want to thank all readers supporting me all these months. I hope you liked this season.

This story will take a break for around one month, sorry! but I need new ideas and aproval from my prereaders and editor.

Keep being cool.

Please comment.

PreviousChapters Next