• Published 24th Jul 2015
  • 20,838 Views, 908 Comments

An Unexpected Life - alejin



Saved by his mother from drowning when he was a baby, Saved by Celestia who found him and raised him as a son, what kind of adventures are awaiting for Bright Sunny, let's find out.

  • ...
61
 908
 20,838

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 44, Realization

Author's Note:

Another chapter, Thanks SoulAkai!! you rock! for the edition and the redraws!!

Please comment.

After the Canterlot incident, a few weeks past and everything went back to being very relaxing and nice in Ponyville. Everypony there was very kind to him. Twilight was right; this place was nothing like Canterlot. He still couldn’t believe that Twilight and her friends gave up their Elements and now, they had to open some kind of chest that bloomed out of a tree? Equestria never fails to surprise him.

Pinkie finally gave him the traditional ‘Welcome to Ponyville’ party. She told him in secret that she’s been wanting to host it for so long. Bright was very flattered.

Thanks to the letters he and Flying Hope send each other, he was happy to know that she was doing alright at home. She’s been spending so much time with her family, it brought a smile to Bright’s face. He knew how much she needed her family’s support after her mother’s unfortunate demise.

Bright didn’t exactly have a daily routine for how to spend his time in Ponyville. Some days he would spend time going to Sugarcube Corner learning how to bake from Pinkie Pie, racing with Rainbow Dash or talking with Rarity and Applejack. He even helps Fluttershy take care of the little animals in her cottage. He was more than glad to help... but the same could not be said for the little white bunny. Only one afternoon with him was enough for Bright to know how annoyingly spoilt this bunny was. If it weren’t for the promise he made to Fluttershy, that bunny would be already be in his stomach.

The only pain in the ass (according to him) was Twilight. Not that he didn’t like to spend time with her but because she was always trying to convince him to return to Canterlot and talk with his mother. Even Luna took turns at being the peacemaker whenever she visited him in his dreams.

He also had some free time to spend with Lyra. She was constantly beaming with happiness whenever he visited her. At first, he had to admit that he took her for a psycho or a stalker, but… by the passing days, he started to like her. She was a really nice pony once you get to know her.

Sometimes he would also spend some time with the Crusaders. Even thought they made him an honorary member, he never crusaded with them. When they invited him to, his job, most of all, was to keep an eye on them. Something that Applejack, Rainbow Dash and Rarity appreciated a lot. He really adored these fillies.They were full of energy and dreams. He knew someday they would get their Cutie Marks. He had bonded very well with them and the idea of adopting a filly once he got married had been on his mind many times. Why did they have to be damn cute!? Of course, he also spent some time with Ditzy and Dinky. The little filly always liked to climb onto his head. Even though Ditzy apologized for her behaviour every time, he always told her that it was fine. He was also glad to know the bullying against her had stopped.
Yep! He had to admit, the idea to moving to Ponyville was really tempting.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bright woke up early and proceeded to take a shower and dress up. He needed to meet the CMC at the school for they wanted to show him their routine to raise the flag in the Equestria games.

He walked out of his house to meet them. During his walk there, everypony greeted him and he greeted them back. It seemed it would be another beautiful day in Ponyville. When he arrived at the schoolhouse, he found many fillies and colts practicing their routines. All of them were doing their best, which released a chuckle out of him. Many of the students also greeted him. Since the day he visited the school by the CMC request and shared some stories with the class, all of them immediately became his friends and fans. Even Miss Cheerilee was looking at him respectfully.

He immediately found his three favourite fillies. Rainbow Dash was also there, acting as their couch.

“Hey, girls! Hi, Rainbow!”

“Hey, dude. Are you here to check the CMC’s routine too?”

“Yep!”, he turned to the girls, “Okay, girls, surprise us.”

The CMC nodded and began with the show. By the time they ended, both Bright and Rainbow had their jaws on the ground. That routine was amazing. So creative. Rainbow didn’t say anything, but Bright knew it by watching her that it was the best routine she had seen so far. It was kinda fun and strange seeing Dash trying to congratulate them and trying to look professional at the same time... It didn’t suit her at all. Bright and Dash left the trio to talk in private. Once they were out of their hearing range, he asked:

“Soooo, I think it’s pretty obvious who’s going to win, right?”

“Well, in my opinion... YES! THEY ARE GOING TO... ahem. I mean, they have a huge chance to... win this. Yes, they...”

“Okay, Dash, cut the crap. Do you realize how bothersome is to hear you trying to be ‘professional’? Just say it.”

“...Okay. THEY ARE AWESOME! I’M SO PROUD OF THEM AND THE LITTLE SQUIRT TOO!”

Bright chuckled. “You really love Scootaloo as your little sister, don’t you?”

“Well... yeah. She reminds me a lot of myself when I was a filly and I want her to be happy... too bad... I will never be able to teach her my tricks because... you know.”

“I know what?”

“You know! She can’t... wait... you don’t know? Really?”

“Uhh... Dash, remember, I’ve been in Ponyville for just two weeks”

“Oh. Yeah, right Well, you see... Scootaloo can’t... fly.”

“What? No way! That’s impossible! You’ve gotta be joking! I’ve seen how powerful her wings are! Have you ever seen her on her scooter using her wings for propulsion?”

“Bright, tell me one thing; have you actually seen her fly? At least once?”

“Well...” Bright sighs “No... not really. But... why?”

“I have taken her to 5 different doctors in Canterlot, Appleloosa and Cloudsdale. It seems is that her wing bones are stuck and they can’t grow well and... they may never grow. There’s at least a 15% chance for them to grow in and If they’ll ever managed to grow... Scootaloo will end up old mare by that time. It’s a really strange condition... only one of a million of Pegasi have it... and there is no known cure for... not even magic can help her.”

“...wow... that’s heartbreaking.”

“I know and, please, never ask her anything about this. Of course, I never told her what the doctors told me... I know I’m lying to her but I’m just trying to protect her feelings... the hope of flying someday is what keeps her going. Without that... she’ll feel alone and lost again.”
“Wait… again? What you mean? You make it sounds as if she were... an orphan.”

“Dude... seriously? Are you that naïve?”

“Oh, C’mon, that can’t be true! She’s always so cheerful and happy! She can’t be an orphan!”

“She is. She was probably abandoned for that... issue you now know of.”

“She... never said anything like that, nor did her friend.”

“They try to avoid that topic all the time. The last thing the little squirt needs is to remember that.”

“I agree... Thanks for telling me, Dash. I’m glad I know this now and I know that I won’t say anything hurtful to her without intention.”

“No problem, dude. Now if you’ll excuse me... I’ve got some coaching to do.”

“Okay, go on, Dash. I will take the girls out for a milkshake afterwards. I promised them yesterday that I would if the routine was good and I’m a man of my word.”

Rainbow smiled and nodded. She then flew away while Bright returned to check on the CMC. When he arrived, they were doing a different routine where Scootaloo was… trying to fly.

“Uhh… Girls? What are you doing? Why are you changed your routine? The previous one was awesome enough!”

“Well... yeah, it was, but… I think it could be better If I do my part flying... don’t you think?”

“But I think it was great just the way it was... and why the desire to fly of all sudden?”

“Well Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon said...”

“Okay, say no more, Scootaloo. You know very well you shouldn’t have to listen to those two. They’re trying to sabotage your routine so they can win.”

Bright said that part very angry. He had already met those two brats. A pair of mini bullies. At first, they made fun of him, but when Miss Cheerilee told them who he really was, they immediately bowed and begged for forgiveness. He really didn’t like to brag about his title, but, that one time, he made an exception. It was kinda funny seeing them beg.

“I know that, Bright, but... they still have a point: I’m a Pegasus, and at my age, I should be able to fly! I need to fly in the contest!”

Bright looked at Scootaloo’s determination. He couldn’t help but admire her, but... if what Dash said was true, then... it was impossible.

“Umm… Scootaloo, I think it’s pretty cool see you so determined, but I think you should save that strength for after the contest. Your last routine was awesome. Let’s focus on flying after you win... okay?”

“No! I want to fly in the contest and I will! I just have to double...no, triple my efforts! Sweetie Belle, Applebloom, come on! We need to practice!”

Reluctant, the two fillies sighed and followed Scootaloo to the stage to proceed with practicing. Since it was obvious she wasn’t going to listen to reasons, and knowing how horrible their new routine was, he decided to let them be and pray that Scootaloo realizes her mistake before she does something reckless.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bright was about to enter his house when he heard a voice behind him.

“Hey, dude! How did things go with the little squirt?”

“Not good, I’m afraid. She’s determined to do her routine flying. I just hope she sees the light before the contest.”

“Dang it! Okay, don’t worry, I will talk with her tomorrow on our way to the Crystal Empire.”

“Please do… Actually, Rainbow, can I ask you a little favour?”

“Sure, what is it?”

“You said you took Scootaloo to 5 different doctors. Can you please tell me the location of the doctor who checked on her here in Ponyville?”

“Uhh, sure... why?”

“I want to talk with him, that’s all.”

“Hmmm… okay.”

Rainbow took Bright to Ponyville’s local doctor, the first pony who examined Scootaloo. After a friendly talk and reluctantly using his position as prince, he asked from the doctor a full copy of Scootaloo’s test and X-rays. Afterwards, he and Rainbow exited the hospital.

“Bright, what exactly do you need all that for? Are you some kind of doctor?”

“No, I’m not. But I know a good friend who is and I want to ask him his opinion.”

“Don’t mean to burst your bubble, Bright, but Princess Celestia has already sent me the best doctors Canterlot has to offer and all of them, as I told you, had the same conclusion.”

“I know... even though, it’s worth a shot, what have we got to lose?”

“I guess you’re right. Anyway, I need to keep cheek on the rest of the Crusaders. See ya later, Bright!”

Rainbow then flew off. Bright went inside his home and laid on the couch. He examined the X-rays carefully. He wasn’t a doctor, but he could swear this topic wasn’t new for him.

“Hmmm… where have I seen this before?

Then, realization came to him.

“Oh, yeah! WINGRIFT!”

Bright immediately stood up and went to his desk. He needed to write a special letter.

“Dear Mr. Jilt...”

PreviousChapters Next