• Published 24th Jul 2015
  • 20,843 Views, 908 Comments

An Unexpected Life - alejin



Saved by his mother from drowning when he was a baby, Saved by Celestia who found him and raised him as a son, what kind of adventures are awaiting for Bright Sunny, let's find out.

  • ...
61
 908
 20,843

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 13, Mr Onyx Forever

Author's Note:

Here is the next chapter, sorry for the delay, I've been playing Metal Gear 5 the phantom pain with no rest, damn that game is so good, anyway, I hope you like it. sorry if the battle feel a little rushed but I'm not really good with battle P.O.Vs.

Please Comment and sorry for the grammar.

Onyx was cooking some manticore’s meat, waiting for his partner to come back, he was decided to have a long talk with him, he started to cough.

(Cough) (Cough) “. . . Damn, I just. . .hope you are prepared Steel, how I wish to have some more years. . .”

He started to reflect about all his life, memories started to invade his head, since he was found by Mr Fortune to when he met and trained Steel, an smile crossed his mounth.

“Maybe I could had been a little more. . .flexible with Steel. . .Nah! - he thought - thanks to the hard times, I know he is ready”

His thoughts where interrupted when he heard someone coming near their cave, he knew it wasn’t Steel because it sounded like hoof steps, when he was about to exit the cave, a little metal ball was thrown inside, he didn’t have time to act since it exploded immediately, releasing a huge smoke curtain, he coughed and desperately looked for the exit, he started to cough heavily and desperately tried to reach the exit, when he was finally out the cave, his eyes were watering a lot, he recovered his sight very soon but it only lasted one second since he was welcomed by a huge hit in his head, sending him to sleep.

“We finally found you Murderer!” a voice said.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Steel was running at full speed, Margaret and Jilt told him they needed to get something and they will catch up soon, he was almost in his cave, he then started to hear some noises, they sounded like if someone was hitting someone, fearing the worst he rushed even more, when he arrived, he found the two Minotaur he met that day at Jilt’s place, but what really took his attention was the other Minotaur on the ground, it was Mr Onyx, he was beaten up and was bleeding badly, he had deep cut in his chest and arms, when the Minotaurs turned around. One of them then said:

“Well well, it’s the freak again, what you want here? Can’t you see we are busy?”

Steel wasn’t listening to them, his eyes were focus in Mr Onyx, he needed medical attention and fast, he stared at the minotaurs and said:

“Get lost idiots, right now I need to help Mr Onyx, I’m giving you the chance to run for now but know this, I will find you later and make you pay” Steel said with venom in his voice, trying to fain some time and hoping for Mrs Margaret and Mr Jilt to arrive soon.

After hearing him said that, both Minotaurs started to laugh.

“Hahahaha, nice one freak! You think you can take us both down by yourself?”

“He is not alone!” a femine voice said from the distance, when they saw who it was, Steel saw his friends Mrs Margaret and Mr Jilt and they were wearing an armor? and not only that, both were wielding a sword.

When they finally arrived, Steel, still shocked said:

“Wow. . .Mrs Margaret, Mr Jilt. . .you look good but I didn’t know you. . .”

“Hahahaha little Steel, there are many things you don’t know about me or about Mr Jilt and please make sense, This is not Equestria, we live in a country full of danger forests, full of monsters and wild animals, if you don’t learn to defend yourself, you won’t live more than a month around here, and In case you wonder, I was a royal guard before finding my talent as a gardener and for Mr Jilt. . .well let’s just say when you are an egghead in this country, you need to defend yourselves against bullies.”

Mr Jilt noded in agreement.

Steel face palmed for his own stupidity, that actually made sense, he wanted to make so many questions but at that moment, there were more important matters to attend, all of them turned to look the brothers who stared back.

“So you finally are paying attention to us? Hahahaha but tell us, you think a couple of old timers and a freak monkey thing can do anything againts us?”

Steel stared at the duo again and said:

“Before I decide what to do with you, I must know, why are you doing this?”

“Well. . .since you all are going to die, why not tell you? you see, this old minotaur killed our father”

Steel and the rest were surprised to hear that but they trusted Mr Onyx, he then asked:

“And who was your father?”

“He was a spy and a mercenary, he was paid to retrieve some information from the family he used to work for and he killed him to stop him!”

“You mean. . . Mr Fortune’s house?”

“Exactly! See? we are not the bad guys here!”

“I see. . . then, I believe you don’t know your father was a scumb bag who killed many guards and an inocent child and his mother, MR ONYX’S FAMILY!”

“So what? No matter what he was, he was still our father and we were proud of what he did!”

“. . . Wow, you sons are as crazy as your old father! Well, I don’t really care, the only thing I care is that you hurt Mr Onyx and I can’t let that pass, prepare yourselves, you are going to pay for what you have done!”

One of the twins immediately charged after him, he swinged his axe to Steel but he dodged it without troubles, Steel then noded to his friends who started to attack the other minotaur.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(STEEL VS BRIGHT GUTS)

Bright Guts swinged his axe like a maniac, trying to hit Steel with no success, Steel kept rolling and jumping, she was out of breath after some minutes, Steel only smirked and said:

“That’s all? How you managed to get Mr Onyx? I’m starting to believe you got him by surprise because to be honest, your skills are nothing compared to him!”

“grrrrraw, SHUT UP!” Guts said and started to attack again.

Like the last time, he couldn’t land a single hit on Steel.

“Stop moving so I can kill you! is that how you fight coward? Running from your opponent like a scary cat? I bet you learned to run away from that coward”

“Hahahaha, can it dude, your provocations will not affect me, I’m not stupid you know? I know very well I’m not as strong as a minotaur, heck I’m not even as strong as an Earth Pony, but I’m fast and that’s is how I’m gonna beat you!”

“I will never be defeated by you! and you think you can save that old minotaur?”

“Mr Onyx will not succumb for a few hits and cuts, he is toughter than he looks”

“That’s not. . .whatever, come and try defeat me!”

After saying that and not wanting to waste time, Steel took the ofensive, he ran directly to Guts at full speed, Seeing this, Guts smirked and thought:

“You said you weren’t stupid but look at you now! Coming directly to your death”

He swinged his axe one more time but Steel as speed as he was, rolled aside and jumped, he swinged his own axe and striked Guts.

“Ahhhhhhhhhh!, my horn! My beautiful horn!”

He kept screaming but not for so long since Steel used the back of his axe and hit Guts’ forehead with full strengh, Guts landed on the ground unconcious, Steel immediately assisted Mr Onyx, he was really hurt and needed medical attention fast.

“Don’t worry Mr Onyx, I’m here to help you, you’ll be alright”

“Steel. . . you still have so much to. . . learn, why didn’t you make sure your oponent was fully unconcious?”

“Uh?”

At that moment, Steel notice Guts behind him, ready to deliver a fatal blow with his axe, even in pain, Onyx pushed Steel away to deliver a huge hit to the half councious minotaur, he managed to send him away and then he fainted. Steel was shocked, Mr Onyx saved his life, how he could be so careless? He still had much to learn from Mr Onyx, He then looked at the unconcious minotaur, even in that state, he was smiling as if he won, he then looked at Mr Onyx again, he was in pain and it was all this freak’s fault and he did it without any remorse.

“I’ll make sure you never do this to anycreature again” he said and took his axe, he aproached slowly, he raised his axe to decapitate him when. . .

“No! my son! you are better than this!”

Steel became speechless, it’s been years since he heard that motherly voice again, when he used to have those nightmares, this voice always made him feel better, he immediately abandoned his killing intent and proceded to help his friends. But not before delivering a good pair of kicks in Gut’s “jewels”.

When he looked how his friends were doing, once again, he didn’t know what to say, Mrs Margaret and Mr Jilt had their opponent already in the ground, unconcious, he aproached to them and said:

“I’ll be damn!”

“Steel! You want to have soap again in your mouth?” – Margaret said.

“Sorry Mrs Margaret, but wow, you two managed to beat him and. . . Mrs Margaret! Are you ok?” – He said when he noticed a cut in his friend shoulder”

“Oh this? It’s nothing, don’t worry, now we need to help Onyx”

Steel and Jilt noded, after tying the two minatours to a tree, the three of them proceded to bring Onyx to Mrs Margaret’s cabin, once there, Jilt treated Mrs Margaret’s wounds while Steel was treating Mr Onix’s, but they were so deep and it seemes they were kinda blue.

“Mrs Margaret, Mr Jilt, I cannot stop the bleeding, and it seems it’s infected please help me!”

Margaret and Jilt immediately assisted him, when Margaret saw the blue infection around Onyx’s wounds, he gasped.

“Oh no! their weapons were poisoned!”

“What?” Steel and Jilt said in unison.

“Those blue infections are a clearly sign of Manticore’s poison!” - Margaret said and removed the bandage off her shoulder, her wound started to get the blue tone as well”

“So . . . we just need to give you both the antidote. . . right?”

Margaret noded and proceded to search in her drawers, she finally found a jar with a green liquid, Steel looked at her with confused eyes, she said:

“What? don’t you know ladies are always prepared? You think this is my first time being poisoned by a manticore?”

Steel and Jilt rolled their eyes, she immediately drank the antidote and saw how her blue infection slowly started to back off, by the look in her face, it was obvious it hurt but at least she was safe, then it was Onyx turn, they helped him to drink the antidote, he hished in pain, they waited for his infection to start backing off but it didn’t, it got smaller but didn’t dissapeared as Mr Margaret’s.

“Mrs Margaret. . . what is going on?”

Mrs Margaret didn’t stop looking at Onyx, she then inspected every wound in Onyx body, all of them were blue, he was just not poisoned once as her, he was. . . she covered her mouth with her hands and said:

“. . . We can’t heal him, we are too late”

“What?”

Mrs Margaret started to share some tears and couldn’t say another word, it was Mr Jilt the one who answered:

“His wounds are too many and deep, besides. . . the poison is already in all his body, the antidote. . .will no longer help him, it may slow the process but. . .it cannot cure him anymore”

Steel couldn’t believe it, no, It was imposible, he imediately aproached Mr Onyx, he was suffering even more and for what? for a pair of idiots, he was furious, more furious than ever, he took his axe and started to leave the cabin.

“Where do you think you are going lad?” Jilt said.

“Isn’t obvious? I’m going to kill those bastards!” – Steel answered, decided to finish the job that he started a few minutes ago.

“Screw that voice, this time she will not stop me!” – he was thinking while walking furios to the door, when he was opening it, he heard a weak voice behind him.

“Steel! Wait!”

His eyes widened and turned around, he then saw Mr Onyx awake, he immediately drop his weapon and rushed to hug him, Onyx smirked and said:

“What I told you about hugs Steel?!”

Steel immediately released the hug and backed off to see his partner, he wasn’t looking any good, it was obvious he was in pain, he with much guilt in his heart said:

“I’m sorry I wasn’t on time Mr Onyx, I should have known when I saw those two bastards”

Margaret and Guilt also spoke:

“We are sorry too Onyx, we underestimate them, we never thought they would attack you like that, we thought they were like the rest. . .not a pair of assasins, we should be there as well”

Onyx wayved his hand and shooked his head.

“Don’t be sorry. . .It’s my fault for being too old and careless, besides, you know I didn’t have much time anyway”

“What. . .what you mean Mr Onyx?”

“Onyx. . . agh, listen. . I don’t have much time now, please, I will talk to you in a moment but right now I want to talk to them in private, I want to say a proper good bye”

“No! you are not. .”

“Yes I am Steel, you can’t do anything to avoid that, please, I can’t lose time”

“. . . ok Mr Onyx”

Steel exited the cabin and waited outside, after 20 minutes, he heard Mrs Margaret and Mr Jilt exiting the cabin, both of them crying, Margaret hugged Steel who immediately returned the hug.

“He wants to see you now, please listen carefully, he is in no condition to repeat what he says”

Steel noded and entered to see his partner, when he entered the room, Mr Onyx was already watching him, he sat in the chair next to the bed. Mr Onyx started to talk.

“Hey Steel”

“. . . Hey Mr. . Onyx”

“You never dropped the “Mr” thing did you?”

“I don’t know if it has to do with my past life but. . .I always adress like that to my elders, it’s a part of me, sorry”

“hehehe, it’s nothing to feel sorry for, Steel, never change.”

“Thanks Mr Onyx”

“Steel. . .there is something I need to know, when we were there, half concious, I clearly saw it, you were close to kill that minatour, I wanted to scream to stop you but didn’t have the strengh to do so, I was afraid to see you sucumbing to the dark side but then I saw you dropping your weapon and spared that bastard’s life, tell me. . .why? what stopped you?”

(Sigh) “A voice stopped me”

“. . .a voice? You don’t mean. .”

“Yes! the motherly voice I used to hear when I was a kid five years ago, the one that helped me when I had those nightmares”

“I see. . . so even now, your past refused to leave you, hehehehe, Bastard Jilt, he was right after all”

“Mr Onyx?”

“Steel. . .Margaret and Jilt told me you know everything about my past and my amnesia”

“Yes. . they told me”

“I see, well, I’m glad they did, Steel, please listen. . . I lived for many years alone and when I found you, I really thought I was making a huge mistake, I thought I was bringing myself a huge burden, but when I saw you carefully. . .you remined me to my son, that lovely minotaur and when you told me you had amnesia. . .something awaken in me, I don’t know how but. . . I knew it was fate to meet you”

“Re. . really?”

“Yes, and if not, at least your meat should had taste good”

“. . . hehehe, you are too honest for your own good, you know that right Mr Onyx?”

“Yes I do, well, I knew you were lost and you would never survive in this world without help so I decided to train you, to teach you everything I know and you passed all the tests with flying colors”

“Thanks Mr Onyx”

“You are welcome Steel, now. . . there was something I wanted to talk to you this night”

“What is it Mr Onyx?”

“Steel, It’s time for you to start your journey”

“Journey? What journey?”

“Your journey to know who you are”

“hahaha, what are you talking about? We know I am a human, I’m Steel the human, well technically it’s Steel the monkius but you get it, I‘m your partner and assistant, that’s who I am”

Onyx shooked his head.

“No! that’s is just a part of who you are, your other part. . .is in Equestria, the place you came from”

“hahaha, nice one Mr Onyx, you think I will go back to Equestria, nice one really”

“Onyx. . .tell me, do you really don’t want to know about your past, has it never crossed your mind. . at least once?”

“. . . . . . . . .”

“I thought so, Steel. . .I never told this to anyone, not even Margaret and Jilt but. . I always regreted not looking for my past, I never got the real peace I was looking for, always wondered who was my mom or dad. . . or If I had siblings, maybe brothers and sisters, it haunted me all my life because I didn’t have the balls to search for answers, please. . . don’t let regret find you too.”

“But. . . even If I go to Equestria, where I should start, I mean. . .I used to have those dreams but I never saw anything clearly, only voices and colors, somethimes I saw white with gold, sometimes it was Pink, purple, blue, I’m not even sure if they were ponies”

“Agh, I see, then that’s a problem but I think I know somezebra who can help you”

“SomeZebra?”

“Yeah, her name is Zahari, It’s been years since I last saw her, she is an expert making potions and medicine, I believe she can help you to reveal the secrets behind your dreams.”

“Mr Onyx. . . that’s not necesary, I’m fine. . .I really don’t need. . .”

He was interrupted when Onyx grabbed his arm and with a serious and pleading look said:

“Yes, you need to, I can see it in your eyes, you can negate it all you want but I know you need it, Please, Promise me you will find out who you trully are”

Steel couldn’t believe it, he was watching Mr Onyx. . .begging, he didn’t know if it was for the shock but he answered:

“Yes. . . yes I will Mr Onyx, I promise”

“Good, now. . . for your journey. . . knowing you will go to a country full of magical pones . . . I (agh) belive you will need all the help you can get, now. . .please, open that wardrove over there”

Steel opened the wardrove and found some scrolls, he turned to see Mr Onyx who noded, he took the scrolls and sat next to Mr Onyx again, the minotaur then said:

“You know what those are?”

Steel shooked his head.

“Please read the top one”

Steel read the scroll and didn’t believe what it said, he turned to see Mr Onyx who smiled and said:

“Yes Steel, that’s a medical notification, it was given to me 7 years after I got sick at the end of a Winter, as you can see, I have an incurable sickness, I don’t know how it’s called, you know I never cared for the details, anyway, the doctor told me that if I live a healthy life, with a good diet and take my medicines, I could live for at least 10 more years but heck, I can live taking medicines but I still loved meat!”

Both of them chuckled.

“That’s why in my heart. . .I knew my time was close so trust me when I tell you. . . those sick bastards only advanced the unavoidable, I think I would only have lasted until the end of this next winter”

Steel noded, at least now he knew why Mr Onyx cougued so much and read those scrolls every end of the Winter but now he was wondering. . . what were the other scrolls?

Mr Onyx then stared Steel with the most serious face he ever gave to him”

“Steel. . .before you see the next scroll I must know one thing, Please I need you to be completely honest with me, ok?”

Steel gulped and nooded-

“What would you do with power?”

Steel was taken by surprise, why was Mr Onyx asking that? During all his life, He never thought anything like that, he was skilled since that old minotaur trained him but he didn’t have anything near to power, was he talking about magic like those unicorns used? After thinking a while, he answered:

“I don’t know, I never had power but I can tell you, I’d try to use it to defend my self and defends those important to me, what else I would do, I can’t answer that, no yet at least.”

“Excellent, that’s good enough for me, now (cough) look at the scroll”

When Steel looked at the scrolls, he noticed they were some kind of maps and instructions, coordinates, he wasn’t that fool, he knew what these were.

“Mr. . .Onyx. . .are these”

“Yes Steel, they are”

“But I thought you burned them, Mrs Margaret told me, she told me Mr Fortune ordered you to burn these scrolls”

“She lied to you as I told her, the truth is, I gave her these scrolls years ago, Mr Fortune and me really hated the guys who killed our family. . . to get these, but Mr Fortune wasn’t a fool, he knew someday as his ancestor. . .someony worthy enough would appear and would need this, he always thought it was me. . . but he was wrong, I had my heart full of hatred at that moment, I still have it, It scared me what would I do with that power so I decided to not look for the artifact, well I’m not entirely sure if it’s really a powerfull ítem but still. . . I was afraid.”

“Mr Onyx, why are you telling me this, I mean. . . it seems like if you want me. . .to find the artifact”

“. . . Seriously Steel? Do I need to be more clear with you? of course I want you to find it! I’m showing you the scrolls for God’s sake, sometimes your obliviousness scares me to no end! Hahahahaha (cough) but please remember Steel, Power can corrupt you, once you have it, use it good and use it wise.”

Steel, Still looking at the scrolls, said:

“Mr Onyx. . Wow! This is. . .Wow! I don’t know what to say”

“Say thank you”

“. . . . Thank you Mr. . arg”

At that moment, Onyx stood from his bed and hugged Steel, he was shocked and close to faint for the surprise, Mr Onyx hated hugs and he never hugged him at least once, he was about to say something but Mr Onyx spoke first.

“Thanks.. . . kiddo”

“Kiddo?” - Steel couldn’t stop his tears at this moment, it had been a long time since he called him like that, he also felt his shoulder getting wet, was Mr Onyx. . . crying?”

“These were the best 6 years of my life since I lost my family, thanks for being there for me, considering how cranky I am, sorry If I ever let you think I didn’t care for you, I wanted you to be strong, thanks for this amazing journey, now go and start your new one!”

“Thanks. . .Onyx”

“Whoa. . No Mr? Hahahahahahaha”

They kept hugging for some seconds until Onyx started to feel even weaker, he laid his head on the pillow again and talked again:

“Just some advices for your life. . .”

“Ok. . .” Steel then grabbed an scroll and quill to write what his mentor had to say.

1) If you are good at something, never do it for free, NEVER! . . . ok, You can make some exceptions but only a few!

2) Red meat is not a healty breakfast, even though is delicious.

3) Never let vengeance or killing intent get the better of you, it poison the soul but also, there may be times where you will have to take a life, I hope not but if you do, I hope you’ll be wise enough to know the diference between justice and vengeance and finally. . .

4) If your past life worth it, don’t be afraid to take it back, maybe just maybe. . you did have a family, after all, if that voice convinced you to not kill that minotaur, that pony cannot be that bad, I hope I saw that before.

Steel, still crying, noded.

“I will Onyx, I will”

“Good. . . It’s time for me to go now, I’m already seeing them, they are infront of me”

Steel didn’t see anyone there, Onyx was already alucinating. . . maybe not.

“Sweet Treasure. . . Little Strong Hope. . .I’m ready, let’s have an amazing day together”

Onyx smiled and closed his eyes, Steel watched him, he knew those eyes were not going to open again, he looked at the scrolls again, then looked at Onyx again.

“Go with them. . . my friend. . . good night and. . .thank you”

Steel exited the cabin and reunited with his two old friends, they had a group hug for at least 30 minutes, Margaret and Jilt promised to never tell any creature how he cried like a baby in their arms.

PreviousChapters Next