• Published 24th Jul 2015
  • 20,829 Views, 908 Comments

An Unexpected Life - alejin



Saved by his mother from drowning when he was a baby, Saved by Celestia who found him and raised him as a son, what kind of adventures are awaiting for Bright Sunny, let's find out.

  • ...
61
 908
 20,829

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 30, A Crystal Problem

Author's Note:

Ok, Christmas is close so I decided to post the chapter early.
I hope you like it, please comment.

Thanks to my pre readers and sorry for the grammar errors.

Bright had been walking in the snow storm for hours, even with his training in cold environments, he was starting to get tired and the potions to keep him warm that Zahari gave him were starting to run off, he needed to find that Empire and fast or start his way back to Canterlot, he checked to map again, he was definitely in the East part of the snow lands, then. . . where was the Empire? it was an Empire for his mother’s sake! How difficult could it be to find it?

He sighed and kept walking, making a tantrum would not help at that moment, after some more minutes, he heard something.

“Crystals. . .”

“Uh? what’s that?”

Bright followed the voice, when he reached the source, he was shocked, as the zebra back in Zebrica said, it was some kind of dark smoke. . .but it had a face, indeed it was a pony, it seemed it was a unicorn but his horn was so strange, it didn’t look like any other unicorn’s horns he saw before, al curvy, red and. . .evil, he approached quietly, the last thing he needed was this thing to see him.

“So that’s King Sombra, wow, so much dark energy, I’m glad Cadence is protecting the Empire. . .I hope it will be enough, nah! Shining Armor is with her and probably Twilight and the rest brought their Elements of Harmony with them”

Bright noticed something else, that monster was . . . hitting some kind of invisible wall.

“Ohhhhhh, so that’s why I couldn’t find it, the Empire is hidden, stupid me!”

For his good luck, the Monster got frustrated and after a huge Roar, he left the place and went away, he maybe was tired to hit field without even scratching it, no surprise there, Shining Armor or Cadence’s force fields were amazingly strong, he took this opportunity and walked as fast as he could to where he was hitting, a few inches from the “wall” he summoned his axe.

“Plasma Edge”

The cyan edge appeared, he would try to pass the field a few times and in case it wouldn’t success he would start his way back to Canterlot, he wasn’t stupid, he knew how powerful Cadence and Shining Armor were, if that powerful monster didn’t even scratch the field. . . his chances were exactly good, charging all the power he could in his axe he prepared to hit.

“Ok. . . one. . .two. . .three! (SWING) ahhhhhh! WHAT?”

He swinged his axe with so much strength but. . . he went through the force field, he even fly a few meters and landed face down on the ground.

“Owwwww, my face. . . what happened?”

When Bright opened his eyes, the first thing he noticed that he wasn’t on the snow storm anymore, in fact. . .it was a bright day, he gave a few steps back and once again found himself in the storm.

“Interesting . . . the force field not only protects it from the monster, it also protects it from the storm, fiu! Thanks my mother it didn’t recognized me as a monster to let me pass”

He returned to the warm side, he then finally saw the Empire with full attention, it was AWESOME! the entrance, the houses, the castle! Everything was made of pure crystal! Already knowing what was going to happen, he walked to the town, once he was there he noticed all the Elements were there . . . preparing some kind of Carnival.

“Uh?. . .the Empire is in danger and they are preparing this? Pony’s ideas of self-defense are weird”

When he was close enough, everypony saw him, obviously all of them were surprised to saw him, he chuckled at their expressions.

“Hi every. . .”

He was tackled and pined to the ground by Pinkie Pie.

“BRIGHTIE! BRIGHTIE! YOU CAME! YOUR MOTHER WILL BE SO MAD AT YOU BUT EVEN SO. . .I’M HAPPY YOU CAME!

“Gee thanks Pinkie” – He scratched behind her ear.

“Ohhhhh, that’s feels sooooo good”

Bright smiled, he didn’t know why, but some time ago, he discovered ponies or zebras liked the scratching behind their ears and his fingers were perfect for the work, everypony then joined.

“Hi sugarcube, ah must say we didn’t expect yah to be here”

“Yeah. . .you see. . .”

“THAT’S RIGHT! YOU SHOULD BE IN CANTERLOT! PRINCESS CELESTIA ORDERED YOU TO NOT COME HERE!” Twilight said, anger in her voice.

“How you. . .”

“She told me before coming here”

“I see. . .well, short answer, I decided to not listen to her, I’m my own man and I wanted to see this place and help my lovely cousin, simple as that, DEAL WITH IT!” Steel said a little pissed too, it was true his relation with Twilight wasn’t precisely bad but they also weren’t exactly in good terms.

Twilight was shocked, Bright never talked to her like that, she narrowed her eyes.

“I. . .think you should go back to Canterlot, you are not needed here! Why would we need a guy who only knows how to swing and axe like a brute!”

Twilight immediately realized what she said and covered her mouth with her hooves, everypony else only stared at her, surprised. Before anypony could say anything, Bright smiled and said:

“Gee, Thanks Twilight, for me, that’s a compliment! After all, from where I come from, we are all “brutes” And now if you excuse me, I want to see my cousin and brother in law”

Bright then proceeded to walk to the castle, ignoring everypony else, he only nuzzled Spike head with his hand. When he was out of sight, everypony turned to Twilight.

“TWILIGHT! HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT?” Rarity asked like if she was the one who was offended.

“I . . .I. . .”

“That was not cool Twilight, not cool at all!” Rainbow said.

“Girls! Now is not the time for this, we will talk about this later, for now, protecting the Empire is our priority” Applejack said.

Everypony and Twilight nodded and returned to their Jobs, before going back to hers, Applejack said to Twilight.

“Sugarcube, ah can’t say ah understand yer feelings but. . .yah must understand, he chose Mrs Flying Hope. . .as he said, deal with it before you lose also his friendship”

Twilight hanged her face in shame, Applejack was right, she couldn’t be mad at him or Flying hope, they loved each other, she should be happy for them, now she managed to break the little friendly relation she had with him, she noted to sincerely apologize later, after successfully protecting the Empire and passing Princess Celestia’s test.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Stupid Twilight, I’m sorry for loving Flying Hope but it wasn’t my fault. . .things just happened” Bright was muttering while walking to the throne room, once he was there, Cadence and Shining Armor couldn’t hide their surprise at seeing him.

“Bright!. . . what. . .what are you doing here?” Cadence said while slowly walking to him, Bright was surprised as well, Cadence looked . . . so weak, her horn was glowing, so she was the one casting the force field, well that explained everything, it’s not like protecting an entirely Empire was easy, Shining Armor was not doing any better, his horn was covered in dark crystal, maybe some kind of magic blocking made by that monster.

“I was just passing by” he said and hugged his cousin who gladly returned the hug.

“I thought Princess Celestia ordered you to not come” Shining Armor said.

“Shining . . . if you knew me as good as Cadence does, you’d knew I would come here anyway, a new place to know? An amazing adventure? Pleaaaase, it practically was begging me to come”

Shining Armor and Cadence chuckled after hearing that, Of course they didn’t like the idea of having him there in danger but to be honest, his moral support would be good for Cadence at that moment.

Cadence and Shining Armor proceeded to tell Bright everything he needed to know, why Shining Armor couldn’t use his magic to help Cadence, why the rest was arranging the Fair, Bright understood everything, still, why they didn’t brought the Elements of Harmony to fight Sombra in case they didn’t find a way to protect the Empire on time?! It made no sense! Maybe they didn’t want to be so dependable of them, he could understand that, he always was trying to no use his Axe if it wasn´t necessary. . . but. . .wasn’t Protecting a 1000 years lost empire an acceptable situation to use them?. . .yep! Pony’s ways to deal dangerous situations were weird and not very functional.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bright remained by Cadence’s side, just having him and his husband there helped her a lot, he even managed to convince her to eat a little, it was true protecting the Empire was stressful enough but she needed to eat, still. . . he knew she wouldn’t last much longer, this. . . fair’s idea be better to work, he had his doubts but when he saw at the window, he noticed how the Crystal ponies (they looked amazing by the way) were starting to change and shine. . . he was starting to think it was a good idea until. . .

“We need to find the Crystal Heart!”

Worst Idea ever! yeah right, she will find a 1000 years lost artefact in hours . . .well, it was Twilight, the most Smart unicorn in all Equestria (yes, even after all what happened, he still believed that) maybe she could do it, even so, he wasn’t going to take any chances, he stood up from his spot next to Cadence and started to leave the room.

“Where are you going Bright?” - Cadence asked.

“For a little walk, that’s all”

“Bright. . . you are not thinking what I think you are thinking. . . right?”

“. . . . gee, what you think I’m thinking?” Bright said with a relaxed tone.

Cadence even weak, managed to use her Canterlot’s royal voice:

“BRIGHT! DON’T YOU EVER THINK ABOUT FIGHTING SOMBRA! HIS MAGIC IS ALMOST ALICORN LEVEL, HE’LL KILL YOU! PROMISE ME YOU WILL NOT GO OUT TO FIGHT HIM!

Bright turned to see everypony.

“Don’t worry Cadence, I’m not planning to, I’m not that idiot you know”

“Promise. . .me. . .please”

“(sigh) Ok, I promise you I will not go out your force field to fight that monster. . .happy now?”

Cadence weakly smiled and nodded. “Very . . . thank you Bright”

“No problem big cousin. . . see ya around”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

While everypony were having fun in the fair, one particular human was sat a few meters from the entrance of the Crystal Empire, waiting, he trusted his cousin but it was obvious her magic was running out, he wasn’t planning to disobey her and break his promise, he wasn’t going to go out to fight. . .but. . . he never said anything about if that monster managed to get in, Pinkie Pie tried to convince him to come to the fair but he declined, the last thing he needed at that moment was to bear with the stares of the crystal ponies, besides. . . he knew Cadence magic was at its limit, it seemed not many ponies noticed the sky changing. . .it was a matter of time. . . “c’mon Twilight, hurry!” - was his only thoughts while he remained in his place.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After another half hour, Cadence’s magic finally disappeared but in his heart, he couldn’t help to feel proud of his cousin, she managed to keep that barrier for days, she indeed was awesome. . .now it was his time to enter to scene, while waiting, he could hear the screams of those poor creatures:

“No! I don’t want to be a slave again!”

“Where is the crystal heart?”

“Please! No. . . Not darkness again! Please don’t let us fall to the darkness again”

After hearing the screams of the crystal ponies, Bright only thought:

“You wont! Not if I have something to say about it. . . hurry Twilight. . .Spike”

“Crystals. . . .Ponies”

Bright stood up and summoned his axe, at that moment, Sombra finally revealed himself, he was going to invade the city when he saw the little human a few meters in front of him.

Crystal. . . uh?. . . hmmmm, this is new”

Bright knew he needed to win as much time possible.

“So you are King Sombra uh?”

“That’s right! the one and only, the rightful ruler of the Crystal Empire”

(Until my mother and aunt kicked your ass) Bright thought.

“May I know what are you?”

“I’m a creature known as human”

“Hmmmmm I never saw anything like you before”

“Not surprised there, I’m one of my kind”

“I see. . . .tell me. . .what kind?”

“Uh?”

“What kind of slave do you want to be once I get my Empire back, work in the crystal mines or as a butler in the castle or who knows? Maybe one of my soldiers”

“sooooo, you just known me and already want to make me your slave? You really are a power thirsty old guy. . .you need therapy”

“Hahahaha, I can do what I want, that’s one of the beauties of being King and strong, in this world. . .only one rule worth for me, the weak must serve the strong”

“. . . . . well, that’s a relief”

“Why?”

Bright at that moment, as quick as lightning, jumped a few inches from Sombra, taking him by surprise and tried to cut his solid face with his Axe, Sombra managed to get away but still, Bright managed to scratch his cheek.

“Because I’m not weak”

Sombra regenerated quickly, his green eyes glowing in anger.

“You dared to lay your. . . hoof on a KING?”

“If you want to believe you are a king, that’s your problem, not mine” Bright said smirking.

“Grrrrr, too bad, you would had made a good addition to my slave collections, now you will serve as an example, I will make sure to exhibit your lifeless body in a stick, AS A REMAINDER TO ANYPONY OR CREATURE WHO WANTS TO STEP IN MY WAY!”

After saying that, Sombra’s horn glowed and before Bright noticed, they both were surrounded by four dark crystal walls, leaving enough room for two creatures to fight.

“Let me show you how weak you really are”

Sombra started to shot red beams to Bright very fast, thanks to his lightning increased speed, he managed to dodge them only to see every place where the beam hit, a huge dark crystal appeared. Sombra kept shooting like a maniac, Bright wasn’t a fool, the strategy was so obvious, Sombra was limiting his movement area.

“Like if I’m fool enough to remain inside this arena” Bright screamed and tried to jump over on crystal wall but it suddenly got taller to Bright’s level making him clash with it, Bright landed safely but was shocked at the same time.

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, escaping is futile human, once you are inside my prison crystal spell, the only way to come out is as a corpse!”

“. . . .well if jumping doesn’t works. . .then. . .plasma edge!”

Bright hit the Crystal, he managed to crack it but it was deflected and he was sent a meter away, this wall was strong, he gave it that.

“HAHAHAHAHA, it’s hopeless human, these walls can deflect any kind of magic, if you really want to break it, you’d need a powerful hit without magic help but really! There is not pony strong enough to do that, not even me!”

Bright stared at the walls, obviously his non magical normal strength wasn’t like an Earth Pony’s to break them. . . so there wasn’t any other choice. . .he turned to Sombra and ready himself to fight.

“Before we start, I want to say something. . . you were right, you are not a weakling, I have an proposal, why don’t you work for me, not as a slave but as a commander for my soon to be army, your strength and weapon would come in handy, what you say?”

“. . . not interested”

“Too bad, at least I tried, I’ll make sure to take your axe from your lifeless body”

Sombra and Bright then resumed the fight.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Everypony in the Crystal Empire was running like crazy to take shelter but at the same time they were confused, where was the tyrant, even Shining armor with Cadence in his hooves was surprised, the mane 5 came to the balcony.

“Prince Shining Armor. . . Is everything alright? Is Princess Cadence ok?” Fluttershy asked.

“. . . yes, she is just tired”

“Ah glad to hear that. . .but if her magic ran out. . .where is that scumbag pony Sombra?”

“I. . .I don’t know but I’m certainly happy he is not here yet, we need all the time we can get for Twilight”

“That’s true, but I can’t stop wondering why that ruffian monster hasn’t atta .. . .hey! where is Prince Bright?” Rarity said.

Pinkie Pie was the one to answer:

“Oh oh! the last time I saw him, he was sit next to the Empire main entrance, he was having a nice nap, I invited him to the fair but he said he was waiting for something to come in the entrance, which made me wonder, what would he be waiting there, I mean the only thing that was waiting to get in the Empire was that minie. . . . . .Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, so that explains that big dark crystal prison next to the entrance I just saw from the balcony”

“WHAT?!” - Everypony screamed and went to the balcony to see what the pink pony was talking about, when they saw the entrance, it was there, 4 walls of dark crystal surrounding something, the walls were very high, making impossible for them to see what was inside, Cadence didn’t need too much time to realize the situation, Sombra and his cousin missing, the new dark arena next to the entrance. . . Bright promised her he would not come out the Empire so he . . . she stood up as fast as she could but fell again on the floor.

“Cadence! You are still too weak, don’t move” Shinning said.

“Bright is. . .in danger. . .help him!”

It didn’t take too much to everypony to realize the situation as well.

“Don’t worry Princess! Rainbow Dash is on her way, Applejack, you and the rest try to find Twilight, I don’t like to admit it, but I’m pretty sure Bright is only trying to give Twilight and Spike more time, so I will, we need that heart now!”

Applejack and the rest nodded and left the room, Rainbow by her part flew as fast as she could to help her friend.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

When Rainbow Dash was close enough to see above the walls, she saw both human and dark unicorn inside, as he saw him before, Sombra except for his face, had his foggy form but it had some cuts, even his horn had some scratches, it seemed Bright was close to cut it at some moment, he was panting and man! He looked pissed, Bright was a lot worse, part of his clothes were torn, revealing cuts and blood, he even had one piece of crystal attached on his arm, it looked so painful. Sombra was shooting dark beams to him which he was hardly dodging, leaving in its place dark crystals, Bright immediately used his axe to break them in pieces, not giving the Tyrant any field advantage, but it was obvious this action was tiring him. Dash tried to enter to help him but as how it happened with Bright, the wall height increased, leaving her no way to enter, no matter how high she flew, she got frustrated and started to fly even higher and far from the wall, once she was in position, she flew at full speed to the wall and. .

“Bright! Hang in there, back up is on its way”

Bright and Sombra turned to see her, what she did left them both shocked, she made a Sonic rainboom and with a powerful hit with both hind legs, she broke the dark crystal wall leaving both of them with their mouths hanging.

“Wow. . . I have to make sure to never make this mare angry . . . or receive that attack in case I do” Bright thought.

Dash flew next to Bright, he scratched behind her ear.

“I’m glad to see you here Dash”

“Awww, Pinkie was right, this feels awesome. . . .nononono, not time for this, you thought you would get all the fun, let’s kick this dude flank!”

Bright nodded and both turned to see Sombra who was just recovering from the shock, he then looked at the duo and laughed.

“hahahahaha, you think having that Pegasus helping you will make any difference?”

“hehehehe, yes, because she is the strongest and faster Pegasus you ever seen, let’s show him what we can do Dash!”

Rainbow dash nodded and with full speed, both of them hatted Sombra in his nose, he backed off a little but countered with a beam to hit Bright in midair, there was no way he could dodge that but he was quickly graved by dash and placed safe in the ground.

“Thanks Dash, I owe you one”

“And trust me, I’m cashing that eventually” she said smiling.

Sombra kept shooting beams to them, as before, the beams created dark crystals where they impacted but thanks to Dash and her strength, she bucked them in pieces very quickly, Dash and Bright attacks only aimed to the face since it was the only solid part of his body, this was giving Sombra a huge advantage, after some minutes, the duo knew the fight wasn’t going anywhere, how they could hit something untouchable like smoke or a cloud? There has to be some way to keep it in one place . . . wait?. . . a cloud? That’s it! Bright then had an idea, he remembered his childhood in Onyx’s cave, how he saw Pegasus get rid of Winter clouds, they always bucked them to make them disappear but one Pegasus managed to get rid of dozens in one go by using a. . .

“Dash . . . I think I have an idea”

“I’m all ears”

Bright whispered something in her ear, she made an evil smile.

“I like that plan, let’s do it”

Both of them nodded

Sombra prepared for whatever they had in mind but at that moment he felt something. . . an alarm! Somepony had found the crystal heart!”

“No! The crystal heart is mine!”

By hearing him say that, they knew their unicorn friend succeeded finding the artifact.

“Twilight found the Crystal heart! Way to go Twilight!” – Rainbow screamed.

“Ha! It doesn’t matter, she is now trapped alongside with it, you think I would leave it unprotected? I’ll deal with that meddling pony after I finish you”

Bright turned to see Dash.

“Ok Dash, no room for mistakes, it’s now or never”

Rainbow dash started to fly around Sombra at high speed, leaving a rainbow trail behind her, she also was keeping her distance, Sombra was going to go after her but was stopped by Bright shooting a lightning beam which he dodged easily, it was only to get his attention, he was at his limit, he had enough energy for a little more distractions and one final attack. . . he had to make it count. “I trust in you Dash” he thought.

Sombra started to shot beams to him, not noticing Dash was surrounding him closer and closer and increasing the speed, after some more dodges and shooting little lightning beams, Bright knew it was time, he jumped high above Sombra and charged his axe with all his remaining power.

“Another puny attack? I will just dodge it ag. . .uh?”

Sombra noticed he couldn’t move, in fact all his foggy body started to move strangely. . he started to spin, he then finally noticed he was trapped in a mini tornado, made by Dash.

“Now Bright!” Dash screamed.

“On No!” sombra muttered.

“Take this!” Bright screamed before using all his strength left to release a final lightning beam, the biggest he shot to any living creature in all his life, it was a direct hit, Sombra could feel all the electricity surrounding all his body, Bright and Dash looked how some smoke cameo out his mouth, Sombra fell on the ground, his body started to shrink, leaving him in his normal pony form, they thought they had won.

“We did it Dash!” – Bright said while falling to the ground again, he didn’t have power left to slow his fall, once again Rainbow managed to catch him and place his safe on the ground.

“Yeah! We are awesome! But I’m more than you” Dash said, Bright only chuckled.

But Sombra immediately staring to stand up and taking his foggy form again, he was hurt, no doubt about it, while he was regenerating, Rainbow Dash who was seeing something in the city, smiled, she whispered something her human friend, Bright smiled and both of them just waited there for the final blown, a blown neither of them were going to give.

“I HAD ENOUGH! IT’S TIME TO END THIS! DON’T YOU THINK YOU WILL. . . UH WHY ARE YOU SMILING, DON’T YOU SEE IT’S THE END?

Bright and Dash remained there, still smiling, Bright was the one to answer:

“You are right! but it wont be us or you who will end this, you slaved the Crystal ponies for so much time, I think it’s fair for them to pass their judgment to you and end this once and for all”

“What you mean?”

At that moment, a shining colorful light came from the Crystal castle, he knew what it meant.

“No! the crystal heart in its place. . .how?”

“You underestimated Twilight, and for that you lost”

The second after he said that, the light expanded, surrounding all the land and destroying every dark crystal.

“No. . . .Nooooooooo!” was the last words King’s sombra said before exploding in pieces by that colorful beautiful light.

When the light disappeared, Bright noticed all his wounds were healed, even the crystal piece he had in arm was gone, leaving no wound, the Crystal heart power was amazing, and not only that, he and Dash noticed they looked different. . .like if they were made of crystal. . .they looked so. . .shinny and delicate. . . even their hair and mane were combed. . . THEY HATED IT! But still they looked kinda awesome so they let it pass this time.

It didn’t last long so they returned to their original form after some minutes, the next thing they heard was everypony in the city screaming happily, the reign of king Sombra was officially over. They fist/hoof bump and smirked, after some minutes to get some rest, they proceeded to walk to the city to meet everypony. . .there were lot explanations do give.

“Soooo, you are not planning to tell anything about this to your mother?”

“No. . . I’m not in the mood for a lecture, besides, I’m not hurt so there is no evidence”

“Dude, even though your wounds are healed, how are you going to convince Cadence to keep the secret about your fight with King Sombra?”

“Nah! I’m sure Cadence will support me with this, I have enough time to convince her, it’s not like my mother is here right?”

“Oh really?” another voice said.

Bright’s surprised face was priceless, he saw Dash who was just staring something behind them.

“. . . . . she is right behind me. . . isn’t she?”

Dash slowly nodded and flew to the castle at top speed.

“Element of Loyalty my ass” Bright thought before being levitated by a gold aura and was turned around to meet a pair of REALLY pissed off magenta eyes.

“Hi Mom . . . How is everything in Canterlot, did you lose weight?”

“. . . . . . . . . . .”

“You will not let me explain you. . . right?”

She shook her head, not saying a single word she motioned him to get on her barrel to take him back home, he didn’t say anything, he just nodded and did what she said.

“I’m screwed. . . for real this time”

PreviousChapters Next