• Published 24th Jul 2015
  • 20,817 Views, 908 Comments

An Unexpected Life - alejin



Saved by his mother from drowning when he was a baby, Saved by Celestia who found him and raised him as a son, what kind of adventures are awaiting for Bright Sunny, let's find out.

  • ...
61
 908
 20,817

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 48, Chance

Author's Note:

Here we are my friends with a new chapter, I'm sorry if they are short but the College and my job are not making my life easier but I will update as soon as I can. I hope you enjoy this chapter and please comment.

Note: I want to thank my editor SoulAkai for always helping me with my story and my Pics. the retouching he does is amazing. all the credit for having these amazing colored pics are for him.

After having a nice and delicious dinner, Steel left a sleeping Scootaloo in her room and returned to the dining room to have a little conversation with his fiancée and 2nd mother figure.

”So that’s what Jilt told you, right Bright?” Asked Margaret.

“Yes. I can't deny it, but I’m kinda worried about what he has to tell me.”

“I think it’s too early to worry, dear. It doesn’t have to be bad news.”

“I know, Flying Hope. Even so. I’d really hate to see Scootaloo´s final hope being crushed.”

“Final hope?” the unicorn asked.

“Yes. I can assure you this, my love, if Mr Jilt can’t help her with this, nothing else can.”

Flying Hope and Margaret had nothing left to say. The bestial minotaur only kept drinking her tea. She already knew that, but Flying Hope was a different case as she started to get even more worried.

“It’s just not fair…”

“I know. Sometimes life can be a real bitch.”

“Language, Steel!” Margaret quickly scolded.

“Sorry... Anyway, there’s no point in staying here acting all melancholy. If you’ll excuse me, I’ll be on my way. Let’s see what that old gryphin has to tell me.”

Flying Hope and Margaret nodded and said their farewells to the human. Steel casually made his journey to Jilt’s hut. His head filled with many things to expect, whether they were good or bad. Before he realized, he was already outside the gryphin’s house, he went inside.

“Hello? Mr Jilt, are you here?”

Seconds later, the answer came.

“Yes, son! I’m here! Just one minute please!”

Steel nodded and took a seat on the nearby recliner while he waited for his friend. After a couple of minutes of waiting, the gryphin finally came out to greet his visitor, carrying some papers in his talons. Before Steel could say anything, Jilt intervened.

“C’mon, my boy, let’s take a seat in the kitchen. There is something very important we need to discuss.”

“Okay, Mr. Jilt.” Steel said, following his friend.

Once in the kitchen and with a cup of tea in hand/claw, Steel looked at his old friend for a minute. Jilt stared at him too, lost in his thoughts. After another minute, the doctor finally spoke.

“My boy, I will not try to sweeten this, but we have a really serious situation here.”

“... I’m listening.”

“You still remember WingRift, right?”

“Of course I do. Who could forget the miracle you could achieve with her?”

“Thank you, but back to the topic; well, you see... pegasus fillies and gryphin chicks are very different.”

“I think even I can see that, Mr. Jilt” Steel said sarcastically.

“That’s not what I meant. Let me explain; during the ages, many creatures get the wrong idea that pegasi and gryphin wings are the same. Same form, same structure... how wrong they are.”

Bright continued to carefully listen to his friend. Inside he knew he was not going to like where the conversation was going. So he mentally prepared for the worst.”

“It’s no secret that gryphin wings are way bigger than pegasus. Sometimes they are even bigger than Alicorn wings and for a long time until today, many still think that that’s the only difference.”

“I see... Mr. Jilt, you know me well enough to know that I don’t like being kicked in the bush. So please get to the point.”

“As patience as always, I see. Okay, my point is that after hours of checking the little filly’s tests and her wing span... I’m not sure If operating on her is a good idea.”

“Wha... what you mean, Mr. Jilt?”

“Even with my researches and vision, her wing size and complicated structure left me speechless. When I saw them, I just couldn’t believe it. If I have to compare her case with WingRift’s, little Scootaloo’s case is at least 3 times worse. To be honest, it’s even a wonder that she can use them like you say she can. That filly has a will of iron.”

“Yeah... she really is amazing” Steel said with a happy/sad tone. “So you think there is no chance to cure her?

“That’s not what I said, my boy. With WingRift, there was an 80% chance of success. With Scootaloo... well, I still need to examine the X-rays I took, but at the very least, I will say that she has a 30% chance of success and you know very well what will happen if the operation fails.”

Bright knew very well what would happen. Mr. Jilt was very clear that day when he told WingRift’s parents. The gryphin put his claw on Bright’s shoulder.

“Steel... If you still want me to put Scootaloo through this, then I will, in all my power, make it work. You know that, but I really need you to know what to expect. I’d really hate watching that filly’s wings... paralyze forever. At least now she can do all those amazing stunts you told me about, I really don’t know if we have the right to put at risk the little ray of sunshine she has.

Steel had a thought about that. He knew his old friend was right. He knew the odds were not exactly as his side, but this... Scootaloo was one of his best friends. She always enjoyed watching her doing what she did best. Could he really be willing to risk that? Could he really be willing to likely take away her gift or maybe even... her chance to get her cutie mark? It was more than obvious that her cutie mark was hidden in her amazing stunt talent, at least that’s what he thought. Jilt interrupted his thoughts one more time.

“Steel... knowing this, what are you planning to do?”

“Hmm... there is only one thing to do, my friend.”

“You don’t mean…”

“I do. I’ll ask her what she wants to do.”

“That may be too much pressure to put on a filly’s shoulders, don’t you think?”

“True, but in the end, it’s her wings. We have no right to choose for her. This is her decision.”

“I guess you’re right. Even so, I still believe it’s unfair.”

“Welcome to the club.”

With that said, Steel and Jilt shared a farewell hug while he promised to talk with the little filly. By his part, the gryphin returned inside his house to keep studying to raise the odds in their favor. He wasn’t sure what the filly would choose, but whatever it is, it will be her choice to do it. Since he met that little pegasus, he knew how strong willing she was. He could almost see a great part of Steel in her. It was almost as if she was his...

“Hmm... interesting. Who knows? I’d like to see that. Less to say Margaret would spoil her to no end.” Jilt thought before going inside to continue his studies.

The walk back was quiet. Steel didn’t know what to think.

What do I say to the little filly? Was it a good idea bringing her here?

Once he returned to Margaret’s house, he noticed everybody was already sleeping. It was natural since he said it could take a while for him to come back. He entered the house and, to his surprise, was startled by Scootaloo who jumped in front of him.

“What?! Scootaloo? What are you doing here and still awake?”

As if he was not shocked enough, his surprised doubled when he saw the little filly’s eyes starting to water, she immediately tackled Bright into a hug. He did his best to compose himself. Once he was in a seated position and with the filly still crying on his chest, he finally found his voice.”

“What’s wrong, Scootaloo? Something happened?”

“It... it happened again, right?”

“What?”

“It happened again, RIGHT?!” Scootaloo raised his voice a little, but not enough to wake up Flying Hope and Margaret.

“Please, Scootaloo, what you mean?”

“Mr... Mr. Jilt told you he can’t cure me, didn’t he?”

“What? Why would you say that?”

“Please, Prince Bright, it was always the same with the past doctors! They ran a few tests and after that, a little conversation with Rainbow Dash for her to tell me the ‘bad news’. IT HAPPENED 5 TIMES ALREADY!! Just please... don’t prolong this anymore. Just tell me... tell me I will never be able to fly. I... I can take it, really. Just say it.

Steel was speechless,. The filly in his arms was broken and tearing apart, he felt like an idiot. He knew Scootaloo had a strong will, but he totally forgot that she was still a little filly… a filly whose hopes had been shattered so many times in the past and now it was happening to her again. He started to hate himself. Maybe it was a good idea to tell her it was true. To tell her that so they all could return to Equestria, continue her life back home and keep doing her amazing stunts. That thought brought a smile to his face, but then another one invaded his mind. In that one, Scootaloo was staring at the sky through the window, knowing she would never get a taste of it. Only, that helped him to make up his mind.

He was planning to ask Flying Hope and Margaret to be with him when he talk with the filly, but he knew he had to do it now. Scootaloo needed an answer now. He used his hands to carry the pegasus and together they left the house. He walked for a few minutes until they reached a cliff. The sight was amazing and the moon looked so beautiful. Sometimes he really understood his aunt when she felt sad because of the ponies who don’t appreciate her work.

Scootaloo didn’t say anything at all, knowing that the prince wanted to say something first. Maybe the news she was highly expecting. She was already prepared for it, but her surprise was big when she saw Bright smiling at her. Before she could say anything, Bright spoke first.

“There is a chance.”

“Huh?” was the first thing Scootaloo could say after hearing that.

PreviousChapters Next