• Published 27th Jun 2015
  • 10,453 Views, 1,942 Comments

A Lost Sunset - KingJoltik



Sunset Shimmer has betrayed Celestia and entered the mirror to another world. However, the first day in this new world would change everything when an accident causes Sunset Shimmer to lose her memories.

  • ...
34
 1,942
 10,453

PreviousChapters Next
Who wrote the Book of Confusion Anyways?

Sunset sat there in shock for a few seconds. 'Twilight Sparkle?!' she thought as tried to hide her surprise. 'What the...how the...I thought Twilight was from another world! How does Celestia's niece know her? And why is she her babysitter?!'

“Um...are you okay?” asked Luna suddenly.

“I...uh...er...no.” Sunset stuttered.

“What's wrong?”

“I...uh...need to be excused for a second...” Sunset said as she got from her chair. “Sorry. I gotta go.”

The three at the table watched her quickly leave the dinning table, all three bearing confused looks. “What was that about?” Cadance asked, “Was it something I said?”

“No, I think she just needs to go to the bathroom...” Celestia said with a shrug.

“Hmm...” Luna replied as she sipped another cup of coffee. “Perhaps my coffee is too much for her...”

“You're still addicted to that stuff?” Cadance said with a disgruntled look.

“Hey! Coffee is the greatest thing ever invented!”

Sunset quickly went to her room and pulled the magic book out of her backpack. She shuffled out of her room and into the bathroom. 'Hopefully they won't bother me in here...I have to know...' she thought as she pulled out her pen. 'Please respond! Please!'

Meanwhile in Equestria...

In the inner corridors of Canterlot Castle, one purple filly was sitting in a nursery room with a tiny baby dragon. The two were giggling and chuckling in delight. “Yes, who's a good little dragon? You are! You are!” Twilight giggled as she rubbed Spike's belly. The baby dragon began cooing with a bright grin. “Hee hee! You are so adorable Spike!”

BZZT! BZZT!

“Whoa!” Twilight said as she looked at her saddlebag. “That buzzing...Sunset's wrote something!”

Twilight levitated the bag to her and pulled the book out. She gave Spike a slight hug as she levitated the book in front of them. “Want to read with me Spike?”

“Goo!”

“Okay!” Twilight opened the book and her eyes started working.

Dear Twilight,

I apologize for the suddenness of this question but...do you know someone named Cadance?

“Cadance?” Twilight said as she looked at Spike. Spike looked back at her with a small gem in his mouth. “So...does that mean there's a Cadance in that world too? Should I just say yes Spike?”

“Gah!”

“Okay.”

Yes.

'Yes...I had a feeling she would say that...' thought Sunset as she began to write again. 'Let's see...while we were eating, she told me she worked at Crystal Prep...'

Do you know of a place called Crystal Prep Academy?

“Crystal...Prep Academy? I've never heard of that place before Spike...” Twilight said as she rubbed her chin in thought.

“Twilight! Its time to-” said a voice as it entered the room. “Oh!”

“Princess Celestia!”

“Hello my faithful student...did Sunset write to you?”

“Yeah she did! She wrote to me while I was taking care of Spike!” Twilight shined a bright smile. Celestia then let out a giggle as she watched Spike suddenly grabbed and pulled the side of Twilight's face. “Ack! Spike! Quit it!”

Celestia's horn glowed as she levitated Spike back into his crib. “Let's let Spike get some sleep Twilight. Is that alright?”

“Of course princess!” Twilight said as she stood up. “Good night Spike!”

“Goo!”

Celestia signaled the local nurse to help put Spike to sleep and soon the duo left the nursery. Celestia led Twilight to her room and the two sat down with the book. “So...what did Sunset write to you?”

“Oh...uh...she's asking if I know a place called Crystal Prep Academy. I've never heard of the place, have you?”

“No, I can't say that I have Twilight. Why did she ask you that?”

“I don't know. Just a second ago she asked me if I knew Cadance.”

“Cadance?” Celestia was curious now. “Why would she ask you if you know her?”

“Um...I don't know that either. I still haven't responded back to her.”

“Oh. I'm sorry Twilight. Go ahead and write back to her.” Celestia was with a apologetic grin.

“Okay! You wanna help me princess?” Twilight asked as her eyes lit up.

“Sure. I don't mind my faithful student.” Celestia said as she wrapped her wing around Twilight. “But remember, you're supposed to write to her.”

“I know.” Twilight said as she began to levitate her pen again.

No. I asked Princess Celestia and she hasn't heard of the place either.

'So neither of them know...' thought Sunset as she slumped slightly on the closed toilet seat. 'Well...guess I should ask her how she knows Cadance...'

How do you know Cadance?

“Ah, how do you know Cadance Twilight? I was sure I haven't introduced you to my niece yet.” Celestia asked as she read the words. Twilight gave a huge smile as she responded. “She was my foalsitter! In fact, she's the greatest foalsitter in the history of all foalsitters!”

Celestia let out a giggle as she heard the praises come out of Twilight's mouth. 'My my...I had no idea. It seems my niece has left quite the impression on my student...' A few moments later, Twilight went back to the book.

She's my old foalsitter.

'Foalsitter?! Like a babysitter?! Well, she did say she was a pony and...so she's...but the Cadance here said...what the...Augh!' Sunset began rubbing her head in frustration. 'You have got to be kidding me! How many more coincidences are there?! I lose my memory on the same day I come here, I end up with Celestia on both worlds, and now Twilight has the same babysitter in both worlds?! Just what is-'

Sunset's thoughts stopped as new words appeared in the book.

Why are you asking this?

'Oh yeah...I forgot to tell her that...'

Well, I just met Cadance and she mentioned you.

“She met Cadance?!” Twilight said as she looked at Celestia in pure confusion. “Isn't she in another world?!”

“Well, she is Twilight...but I don't think she means our Cadance.”

“Wha...but why is...” Gears began to turn in the filly's head. “Oh yeah...she said she lives with that world's Celestia...so that means...”

“There must be a Cadance in that world as well...” Celesia said in thinking pose. “Not only that, there must another you in that world as well...”

“Yeah...” Twilight sat there for a second, thinking about meeting herself. “That could be interesting...or weird.”

“Are you going to respond Twilight?”

“Oh, right...sorry.” Twilight blushed as she grabbed the pen. “Got lost in thought there.”

I asked Princess Celestia and she thinks this Cadance is different from mine.

'Different? So...does that mean this Cadance is this world's...ugh. Every time I think about this whole other world thing and me being a pony...' Sunset continued to shake her head in frustration. 'It always gives me a headache...why can't something normal happen to me for once?!'

Sunset looked at the book again. 'If what she says is true...then that means this Twilight she mentioned earlier...doesn't know me. It makes sense since there's two Celestias...I think.' Sunset let out a groan as she wrapped her arms around herself. 'I've only known about this whole other world thing for three days...so why do I feel so used to it already? Maybe it's because I don't remember anything...'

Sunset picked up the pen again.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. When I heard that you were here in this world I just sorta panicked. I'm sorry.

“She panicked...” Twilight said as she turned her head to Celestia. “I think I would too, wouldn't you princess?”

“I'm not sure Twilight, then again, if I met another version of myself...I would probably at least panic a little.”

“Same here.”

Is there anything else you want to talk about?

'Anything else?' Sunset began to rack her brain, trying to think of anything. 'Hmm...Guess not. Well, except for answers to my memories...' Her head drooped down as she looked over the previous entries. 'All I know is that I went against this Princess Celestia...and it sounds like we were both in the wrong. Guess it could be worse.' Sunset felt a lump in her throat as she read the part again about her becoming obsessed with the mirror and leaving Celestia. 'There's one thing I want to know more than anything about my lost memories...' Sunset picked up the pen once more.

Could I ask Princess Celestia something?

Twilight merely glanced at Celestia and she gave a nod.

Sure. She's with me right now and says its fine.

Thank you. Princess Celestia, when I left Equestria, what was I like?

“What a question to ask...” Celestia muttered as her horn shined with magic.

You were...bitter to sat the least. You were lashing out at me, telling me to do something that I could not.

'I had a feeling she was gonna say that...' Sunset rubbed her eyes as she thought, 'But...I want to know. I have to remember what Coco told me...There's always a better way to look at things. I need to know...'

What did I want? What was so important that I went against you?

“Oh yeah...I never asked you that princess, what did she want?” Twilight said with an innocent inquisitive face. Celestia let the pen float in front of Twilight’s face. “Let me show both of you my faithful student.”

You wanted to become a princess.

'A princess?! I wanted...to become like her? Is that what she's saying?'

So, I wanted to become like you?

“A princess...is that really possible? You can turn somepony into an alicorn?”

“Yes Twilight. It is.”

Yes. You did. But you were not ready.

'Impatient...huh. I thought there would be more. That's why I left? All because I couldn't get what I wanted? Why?'

Why did I want that?

When Celestia read those words, her heart sank. She knew the response but it was the one thing she didn't want to write. Twilight saw the darkening of her expression as Celestia began to write.

It was something you always wanted. Ever since I began training you, you always wanted to accomplish that goal.

'I always wanted it...No way...' Sunset slumped over, looking at those words over and over again. 'Well...I don't want to become one now...heck, I don't know what I want now.' She thought back to what Celestia had told her yesterday, how she told her that she could do anything if she put her mind to it. 'Do anything huh? I think...I think I know what I want to do. I think I'll just live my life right now. That's sounds good...a lot better than betraying a princess from another world. I'll figure out everything else later...I think I know what to do first...'

I'm sorry for what I did. I know I can't remember doing it but I want to say I'm sorry.

Tear after tear dropped from Celestia's eyes. She gave a huge smile as she wrote the next few words.

I am sorry as well. We were both in the wrong back then. May I ask you only one thing Sunset Shimmer?

'Ask me something?'

Sure.

I wish for us to start over. Will you be my friend?

'Her friend...she wants me to be...'

Yes. I would be honored.

Thank you Sunset Shimmer.

'Wow...guess I-'

“Sunset! Are you alright in there?!” yelled Luna as she knocked on the bathroom door. Sunset made a small jump as the banging frightened her. Her hand flailed around as she tried to respond to Luna. “I uh...I'm okay! Just give me a minute!”

“Alright! Just hurry up! My coffee's trying to fight back!”

“Okay!” Sunset said as she began to write as fast as she could.

I'm sorry but something has just come up. I'll talk to you and Twilight later. Sorry.

“Huh...wonder what happened princess?”

“I don't know. Whatever it is, I have a feeling everything will be just fine.” Celestia said as she wiped away her tears. “Now my student...its time for you to go to bed. We have another big day tomorrow.”

“Okay!” Twilight said with a grin as she closed the book and put it in her saddlebag. “Good night princess!”

“Good night my student.” Celestia said as she watched Twilight walk up. She closed the door and sat down in her bed. There, her pet bird Philomena flew over and sat down by her. “Hello Philomena...how are you today?”

The bird shook its head.

“I see. Well, I must say that the end of my day was definitely a highlight.” Celestia let another tear out of her eye. 'Sunset...Thank you for letting me start over with you...'

Sunset scrambled out of the bathroom, trying to make sure no one saw her with the journal. Thankfully, Luna had gone back into the kitchen to pour herself another cup of coffee. As Sunset put the book away, she let out a sigh of relief. 'Whew...I hope Princess Celestia and Twilight will understand...maybe I should write them a little before I go to bed...'

Sunset shuffled out of the room and saw Luna in the kitchen, still drinking coffee. “Um...I'm done Luna.”

“Okay.” Luna said with a slurp. “Cadance is about to leave, go ahead and tell her goodbye.”

“Okay.” Sunset said as she went to the front door. There, she saw Cadance giving Celestia a big tight hug. Cadance's head turned as she heard Sunset enter the room. “Oh Sunset!”

“Hey...”

Cadance rushed up and hugged Sunset immediately. “Oh! It was so nice to meet you Sunset!”

“I uh...er...uh...” Sunset stuttered as she felt her ribs start to crack from the hug. Cadance continued to hug for a bit longer and finally released her. “Sorry about that.”

“It's fine.” Sunset said, trying to catch her breath. “And it was nice to meet you too...”

The two shook hands and they talked to each other for a bit longer. After a bit, Cadance left with a huge smile on her face and Celestia and Sunset both agreed to go to bed. It wasn't long till Sunset found herself in her usual bed with a long breath of exhaustion. 'What a day...still can't have a normal day, can I? Oh well...'

Sunset's eyes closed as the realm of sleep welcomed her once again.

Author's Note:

I wrote this chapter rather quickly...but I suddenly went into a writing frenzy for this story. That and I don't know how to write Cadance. Next chapter should be the start of the last day of the first week of school. After that, the story will start really moving.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

Also, big thanks to Lord Nopony for pre-reading this chapter!

PreviousChapters Next