• Published 27th Jun 2015
  • 10,388 Views, 1,942 Comments

A Lost Sunset - KingJoltik



Sunset Shimmer has betrayed Celestia and entered the mirror to another world. However, the first day in this new world would change everything when an accident causes Sunset Shimmer to lose her memories.

  • ...
34
 1,942
 10,388

PreviousChapters Next
A Sparkle in your Step

Over an hour ago in Celestia's castle...

BOOM! WHAM!

A small explosion went off in Celestia's room, resulting in the little filly Twilight Sparkle to go flying into Celestia's bookcase. After that, Twilight found herself buried in a pile of books from Celestia's bookcase. Celestia put her hoof over her mouth and ran over to Twilight. “Twilight?! Are you okay?!”

“I'm okay...” Twilight said as her head popped out, her eyes still spinning. “I feel great...” she said as her hooves began to wave around. “Wheee...”

Twilight the shook her head and began to rub her horn. “Owww...that hurt...”

Celestia then pulled Twilight out of the pile and said, “I'm glad you're okay Twilight. Tell you what, why don't we end today's lessons?”

“But...but...I can do the spell!” Twilight said in a panicked tone, believing her mentor was now disappointed in her.

“I know you will my faithful student. You've already mastered three new spells today and you probably need some rest, okay? We'll pick up tomorrow.”

“Okay...” Twilight said as she slumped down. “Sorry I failed the spell...”

“It's fine Twilight, don't worry so much. Before you know it, you'll have that spell mastered, alright? Now, if you don't mind, go ahead and put my books back on the bookshelf.”

“Okay.” Twilight nodded slowly.

“I'm going to step out and talk to my adviser about tomorrow and I'll escort you back to your room, alright?”

“OKAY!” Twilight said with a big smile. 'Thank goodness she's not mad...' she thought as she began to put the books back on the bookcase. As her horn shined, levitating each book, she soon saw that the books had been mixed with two books that she owned. 'Oh...these are mine, better put them in my bag.'

A few minutes later, Celestia returned and walked with Twilight back to her room. Celestia told Twilight that Spike had already gone to sleep so Twilight would have to greet him tomorrow. Soon, they arrived and Twilight found herself alone in her room. There, as she unloaded her saddlebags, something she wasn't expecting happened.

BZZZT!

“Aah!” she yelped as her bag suddenly vibrated. She threw the bag off of her and saw that one of the pockets was glowing. “What the...”

As Twilight began to approach the pocket, she saw three books in the pocket. “Wait a minute...I only brought two books with me...” she said to herself as she saw a glowing, vibrating book sandwiched between her two books. She slowly levitated it out of her bag and began to look it over. 'What in the...this isn't my book...wait...is this one of Princess Celestia's books?!' she thought as she began to panic. 'Oh no! She'll think I stole her book! What do I do?! What if she puts me in prison for stealing?! What if she puts me back in magic kindergarten?! What if I'm kicked out of Equestira forever?!' Twilight rubbed her head with her hooves in a complete panic. Then, she stopped. 'Wait...hold on a second Twilight...it was just an accident...I'll just give it back to her tom-'

BZZZT!

“Whoa!” she screamed as the book suddenly vibrated and glowed again. “Did that book just...”

Twilight levitated the book again and put it on her desk. There, she sat down and opened it up. 'Should I really read this...but...why is it vibrating and glowing? I...I gotta know why!' she thought as she skimmed through the pages. 'They're all blank...why are all the pages...wait...' Twilight's eyes stopped as she saw Sunset Shimmer's first entry. As she read the words Sunset wrote, Twilight began to think, 'What the...is somepony writing this? Or is the book writing itself? Is this book alive?! Wait, that can't be right...then again...it did vibrate and glow...maybe this is some kind of magic I haven't studied yet...could this be some sort of advanced magic that Princess Celestia was gonna teach me later?!' Twilight's eyes began to shine at the very thought, but soon the eyes dimmed as she read the entry again. 'Well...if it is, whoever wrote this entry sure sounds sad...then again, if this is a future lesson...maybe I should respond to it...'

Twilight thought for a second what she should write and said to herself, “Well...maybe I should just introduce myself first...after all, if this a lesson or just somepony who's really sad right now...I think I should just try and be nice and polite...'

Twilight levitated her pen and began to write.

The Present...

“Twilight Sparkle?! Who's that?!” Sunset said to herself as she read the message again. 'What's going on? Why is my journal...why are all these words suddenly appearing under what I wrote?' Sunset put her journal down for a second and thought, 'Well...okay. Calm down Sunset...one, I don't know anything about this journal...and it's the only clue I have about my past...two, someone or...something called Twilight Sparkle is trying to 'speak' to me through this journal...that sounded really weird now that I think about it...but...this Twilight Sparkle does sound like a girl...or her name at least...'

Sunset looked back at Twilight's entry. 'Well...whoever this Twilight Sparkle is...they don't seem to be bad...maybe I should respond...' Sunset picked up her pen and wrote:

My name is Sunset Shimmer.

'Sunset Shimmer...sounds like a girl's name...' thought Twilight as she read the words appearing before her. 'Hmm...wonder what I should write next...' Twilight glanced at Sunset's first entry again. 'Sunset Shimmer said she has amnesia...I've read about that before...should I ask her about her memories? Then again, it sounds like she had a bad day...what was it that my old foalsitter Cadance would tell me about bad days...just what was it?'

Twilight rubbed her head for a few minutes and finally remembered. “Oh yeah! She told me that I should start by talking about what happened and then...” Twilight said to herself as she tried to remember the rest. “And um...uh...then you...you think about all the good things that you have!”

Twilight pulled out her pen and wrote:

It's nice to meet you Sunset Shimmer. It sounds like you had a bad day, would you like to talk about it?

“Would I like to talk about it?” Sunset said to herself as she read the message to herself again. “Well...I'm not sure...” Sunset leaned back and began to stare at the ceiling. She thought, 'Is this person trying to be my therapist? Well...she doesn't know what's happened to me today so...I guess I could tell her...I just hope she doesn't pity me...maybe I shouldn't tell her...' Sunset picked up the pen again.

I don't want to talk about it.

“Doesn't want to talk about it...okay...what do I do now?!” Twilight said to herself as she began to pace around. “Okay...let's think...she's depressed and she doesn't wanna say anything...if this is a future lesson from Princess Celestia then...do I ask her again? Do I have to be more forceful?! No, Princess Celestia wouldn't want that...do I have to be nicer?! I...what do I do?!”

Twilight stared at the book again. As she looked over all of the words the two had written, she realized what she had to do. “I need more information...otherwise I'm gonna fail here...” Twilight picked up her pen and wrote:

Okay. If that's the case, why don't you tell me more about yourself?

'More about myself?' thought Sunset. 'Um...do I have anything I could tell her? I don't even know who I am...uh...should I tell her that? Wait...that can't be right...there has to be something I can tell her...'

Before Sunset could write anything, more words appeared.

Was there anything good that happened to you today?

'Anything good...' thought Sunset as she began to think about her trying to protect Fluttershy. 'She said she wanted to be my friend...I guess that's a good thing...especially since I've disappointed Celestia so much today...and pretty much made everything worse for her and myself...' Sunset wrote:

I think I made a friend today.

A few seconds later...

That's all? Are you sure nothing else good has happened to you?

Sunset let out a small sigh.

Yeah. I'm sure.

Twilight watched the words appear and began to scratch her head again. 'Ugh...this is hard...just how depressed is this Sunset Shimmer?!' Her little filly brain began to get riled up as she tried to think what else she should write. 'Um...what would Cadance do in this situation...uh...um...hmm....just what do I write?'

Twilight grabbed the pen and decided to just wing it.

Okay. Well, why don't I tell you about me then? Is that okay?

Sunset's face turned from depression to surprise. 'She's gonna tell me about herself?! Why?!'

I don't mind but why are you gonna tell me this?

A few more seconds later...

I'm not sure. I think I can trust you though. After all, you responded back to me through this magic book.

'Magic book? Well...I guess that explanation is as good as any...' Sunset thought as she twirled her pen. 'But why do I have this book? Maybe I should ask where she got hers...'

Hey, could you tell me where you got your book? And do you know why these books can do this and where they're from?

Twilight's heart wanted to stop. “I was afraid she was gonna ask that question...now what do I do?” she said to herself as she began to pace again. “This lesson is harder than I thought...did I ask the wrong questions?! Did I already fail?! Did I mess up and Princess Celestia will throw me out because she'll think I stole her book?!” Tears began to well up in the filly's eyes. “What do I do?!”

After another round of pacing, Twilight walked up to the book. Her body shivering, she decided to write a response:

I honestly don't know where this book is from. All I know is this book is my mentor's and it accidentally got into my bag today.

'An accident...of course...' thought Sunset as she let out another sigh. She stared at her bed, her eyes beginning to tell her to go to bed. 'Ugh...maybe I should just finish this tomorrow...' Sunset picked up her pen one last time and wrote:

Tell you what, could you just ask your mentor about this book tomorrow? I need to go to bed and get some sleep.

Twilight read the words and let out a small sigh. 'Well...I'm gonna need to confess to Princess Celestia about all of this anyways...'

Sure. Good night Sunset Shimmer.

Sunset read the entry and decided to write just a bit more.

Thank you Twilight Sparkle. If you don't mind me asking, could you also be my friend?

A few moments later...

Sure.

Sunset smiled and closed the book. She slowly got up and fell on top of the bed as the realm of sleep welcomed her through it's dreamy gates. The first day was over.

Author's Note:

This chapter was really interesting to write. I had to figure out how to write filly Twilight, who I suspect is still the Twilight we know and love, she's just not high on friendship. But I suspect she wouldn't mind having friends, especially with books.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter!

PreviousChapters Next