• Published 4th Jun 2015
  • 1,813 Views, 75 Comments

Dented Silver - Manaphy



Silver Spoon once had the perfect life and the perfect friend. When her friendship with Diamond Tiara cracks due to past incidents, it's only downhill from there. Will Silver Spoon be able to crawl out of this problem? Or is it all hopeless?

  • ...
3
 75
 1,813

Reunion

For once, Silver Spoon could breathe without anything tightening her throat.

She couldn't remember the last time a second went by without her feeling anxious about something. Even during the brighter days, there was always an itch in the back of her mind creating tension. It was something that could be controlled, but having it absent for once was like a dream come true.

It was unusual, however. But unusual wasn't always awful.

It was also the second day she spent some time watching the clock. Her spirits lifted for each second which went past, eyes nudging in sync with the clock's hand. Today's lunch break was also one Silver Spoon knew would rank among her favorites.

She wasn't alone; every foals' eyes were glued to the clock. Cheerilee would even glance at it from time to time.

The outside world was also inviting; the sun glowed overhead and a faint breeze swirled within the playground's confines. All of the pegasi must have heard the news and made sure today would be perfect for an outdoors lunch. Perhaps Blaze had a gut feeling about today and put in a good word for her after their talk a few days ago.

Then again, she was used to coincidences.

Silver Spoon peeked at where Diamond Tiara sat, gently waving at her friend.

This time, Diamond returned with a wave of her own. A mild smirk formed across her face.

It was just like the good old days if those times saw them as the kinder, wiser fillies they became.

A fraction of a second later, the bell rang. Almost everypony leaped out of their desks in the blink of an eye, saddlebags or sack lunches in tow.

"Have fun, everypony!" Cheerilee shouted amid the joyful cheers. "We'll continue this lesson when we return!"

As Silver Spoon observed her fellow students dashing out of the classroom with bright grins, she wore a smile like everypony else for the first time in what had to be ages. It wasn't as though she hadn't smiled since then or even in a moment like this. For this instance, happiness was all Silver Spoon could express.

And it was thanks to the pink filly next to her.

Another minute flew past; Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara were the only foals still in the classroom. Gossip and laughter already filled the air with some ponies wasting no time in surrounding the playground equipment. On the other hoof, others slowly approached the table with sack lunches. For Silver Spoon, joining up with Twist and the Cutie Mark Crusaders was imperative. Even if forging a friendship between them and Diamond would be like climbing the tallest mountains in Equestria with a boulder on her back, Silver Spoon donned a faint smirk at the thought of them forgiving her friend.

However, getting Diamond to come along might take some time.

Diamond bit her lip, shoulders sagged.

"Ready, Di?" Silver Spoon asked.

Diamond tapped the tips of her hooves together and pursed her lips. "Like, I guess so," she said with a downcast expression. "Well, I was going to pass along a message to you and some other ponies, but I don't know how everypony will treat me after what happened yesterday."

"What would that message be?"

"I'll get to it when the time is right." A sigh left Diamond's mouth. "Anyway, I wouldn't blame everypony else for being afraid or mad at me."

"Don't worry." Silver Spoon wrapped a foreleg around Diamond. The two locked gazes with each other. "Sure, some ponies may be a bit hesitant at first, but maybe they'll be more comfortable with you in a day or two." Cracking a smile, Silver Spoon then trotted toward the playground that awaited them. "Remember what we talked about yesterday?"

Diamond nodded. "It'll take time, but I have to be friendly, even if it's tough."

"That's the spirit!"

"I'm glad to see you helping other ponies, Silver Spoon," Cheerilee said. Both Silver Spoon and Diamond turned around to face her; Cheerilee sat behind her desk as usual, a shiny red apple in her hoof. "And I hope you're feeling better, Diamond Tiara."

"I've—like—still got a ways to go," Diamond replied. A slight smile then decorated her face. "But I'm feeling much better. Thanks for your concern."

"You're welcome." Cheerilee bit her apple, chewing for a few seconds. "Anyway, is there anything else you need?"

"I'm fine."

Turning to face Silver Spoon, Cheerilee then made eye contact with her. "And you, Silver Spoon?"

"I'm also fine, but I'll let you know if we need anything, okay?"

"Sounds good to me." Cheerilee nodded and her grin became brighter than the sun. "I hope your lunch break goes well!"

Silver Spoon waved at Cheerilee, Diamond following suit seconds later. "Same here, Miss Cheerilee."

Upon trotting outside, a cool breeze brushed across Silver Spoon's face, her braid flailing about like a flag caught in a whirlwind for a moment. She glanced over to Diamond and then to the tables; Twist and the three Cutie Mark Crusaders were huddled up at one of them and already in the midst of discussing something. Perhaps the three were telling the myriad of stories they had about trying to get their cutie marks.

"Let's not waste any time," Diamond said as she trotted forward. "I'm—like—totally ready now."

Nodding, Silver Spoon stayed to Diamond's side. The thought of going up to the four fillies as friends tickled her chest. Yet, it was comforting in a way. Before, Diamond and she would assume sickening scowls, trotting around them in circles and hissing like snakes.

That was the past. This would be the opposite.

"Hi, everypony!" Silver Spoon called out. "Can we join you for a bit?"

The four turned toward Silver Spoon; they shifted their focus to Diamond a second later.

"Sure," Apple Bloom replied. "Is Diamond Tiara joinin' us as well?"

"I am," Diamond said. "Would you mind if I did?"

Scootaloo arched an eyebrow. "It depends. You're not gonna make fun of us again, right?"

"I won't tease you." Arriving at the table, Diamond sat down at one of the empty seats and quickly procured the sack lunch in her saddlebag. "Like, I know I was a rotten filly back then."

"Ya kinda were," Apple Bloom said. She paused; her cheeks flushed and her hooves shielded her lips. "No offense." A soft giggle escaped her mouth. "But if Silver Spoon was able to become a good pony, I guess I can trust ya, but I'll keep an eye on ya for now."

"Makes sense to me."

"Anyway, I talked to Di about how she was feeling yesterday," Silver Spoon said. She took the last empty seat, finding herself next to Diamond. "She may be a bit brash at times, but I know she means well."

"That's good to know," Sweetie responded, her visage donning a smile. She then stretched a hoof out to Diamond. "Welcome to our little group, Diamond Tiara!"

"Well, I wouldn't call myself a Cutie Mark Crusader," Diamond muttered. "I do have—"

Silver Spoon gently nudged Diamond, placing her lips closer to Diamond's ear. "Shake her hoof and accept, Di," Silver Spoon whispered. "Trust me. Don't mention anything about cutie marks, okay?"

Shrugging, Diamond cocked her head. "Huh?"

"Di, I'd do it that way. Trust me on this one."

While it wouldn't be the most genuine acceptance, Silver Spoon knew it'd be a start. Diamond expressing kindness in such a way, even if it was a minor moment, would be a vast improvement over her scoffing at everypony and forging her own path. Silver Spoon knew nopony would mind if she politely butted in from time to time.

If Sweetie's bright, radiant eyes and extended hoof were anything to go by, Silver Spoon knew they'd get along eventually. Warmth formed within her chest, her smile widening.

"You've got yourself a deal, bl—Sweetie Belle!" Diamond announced. In a flash, she shook hooves with Sweetie. "Like, I bet we'll become great friends once we get to know each other a little better."

"That's how it's done!" Sweetie chimed in return. The pair brought their hooves back to their chests. "See, you're getting the hang of it already!"

Silver Spoon patted Diamond's back; the warmth in her chest soon spread throughout her body. "What did I say, Di? I told you that kindness goes a long way."

"Yeah, I see where you're going with this, Silvy," Diamond replied. She brought her attention back to the Cutie Mark Crusaders and then to Twist. "Also, since I'm here, I guess I should—like—apologize for all of the nasty stuff I did." She sighed, shoulders drooped slightly. "Sorry for being so rude to the four of you."

"Apology accepted," Twist said. "No hard feelings."

With her eyes widened, Diamond's posture perked up. "Wait, what?"

"What's so odd about forgiving you?"

"Nothing, but it was so sudden." Diamond paused for a few seconds. "Like, with all the bad things I did, I thought it'd take days, maybe even months."

Twist grinned. "I don't see a pony who's mean. Instead, I see a pony who's trying to better herself. You spoke from the heart and while some of the stuff you did was terrible, I can still forgive you since you seem genuine about it."

"Yeah, I guess that's one way of looking at it."

"It is," Silver Spoon added. "While not everypony believed me at first, I was able to get that across." She made eye contact with Diamond, a slight smirk across her face. "Maybe after a day or two, ponies will start to see the new you."

Nodding, Diamond returned a smirk of her own. "You make a good point, Silvy. Like, if I stay nice and calm, things should go smoothly."

"That's the way it works, Di."

"Also, maybe I—"

"Excuse me," a familiar voice said. "Can I say a few quick things?"

The six fillies turned around; standing before them was Rumble, sulking a little. A chill rushed down Silver Spoon's spine. While the incident yesterday was more between him and Diamond, Silver Spoon couldn't help but notice her heart thumping in her chest. The pale cheeks Diamond wore didn't help matters; tension filled the air.

"Hello, Rumble," Silver Spoon said. She exhaled and forced a smile across her face, cheeks tautened. "How are you?"

"Hi, Silver Spoon," Rumble replied. "I'm better, thanks for asking."

"You're welcome." Silver Spoon pursed her lips for a second and twiddled her braid. "What brings you here?"

"No need to be nervous." Rumble trotted closer to the group and sighed. "If anything, I should be the one who's nervous."

"Is this about what happened yesterday?" Sweetie asked.

Rumble merely nodded.

"Oh."

"Diamond Tiara?" Rumble nudged even closer, Diamond scuttling back a few inches. "Look, I know our 'date' yesterday was a disaster and we said a few things."

"A disaster would be putting it lightly," Diamond muttered. She feigned a nervous chuckle and averted her gaze. "But—like—where are you going with this? I don't wanna make this any worse."

"I wanted to apologize for my behavior."

The six fillies' eyes all widened in unison. It was as though everything came to a halt for a second.

"I was rude, and looking back at it, I shouldn't have said some of the things I said."

Diamond raised an eyebrow. "What? What are you talking about?"

"I obviously said some things that hurt you, so I wanted to apologize."

"Like, shouldn't I be the one apologizing?" Diamond tilted her head. "I was the pony who said all those nasty things. I did start the problem."

"That doesn't change the fact that I was also rude." Rumble brought a hoof toward Diamond; his eyes shimmered. "So, Diamond Tiara, will you forgive me?"

Quickly grabbing Rumble's hoof, Diamond then shook it. "I do. I'm also sorry for my behavior that day."

"I forgive you as well." Rumble released his grip; he then faced Silver Spoon. "By the way, Silver Spoon, thanks for trying to comfort me back there. I highly appreciate it."

Silver Spoon's cheeks warmed up; a sheepish smile formed across her face. "You're welcome. I'm always willing to help if you need it."

"Same here," Diamond added. "While I don't know if I can make up for what I did, I'd be honored to help if you need somepony."

"Yeah!" Apple Bloom cheered. "We're always willin' to lend a helpin' hoof. Isn't that right?"

With bright grins, the six fillies nodded together once more.

"Thank you, everypony." Rumble placed a hoof to his chest and then bowed. "I have to meet up with some of my friends, but you're welcome to join up when you can." Turning around, he then waved to the group and skipped across the grass. "Best wishes!"

"Same here, Rumble!" the group shouted in unison.

As the colt reached his small circle of friends, Silver Spoon's group all brought their eyes back to each other. Diamond's expression caught her attention most of all, however, as a teary smile decorated her. It was enough for Silver Spoon to notice a wet, ticklish substance at the bottom of her eyes.

For once, crying felt comforting, maybe even pleasant in a way. She never considered tears of joy to actually happen outside of gushy romance novels, but there she was, crying tears of joy alongside Diamond. And while her other friends didn't exactly join in, their bubbly smiles and glowing eyes as they watched them were close enough. Silver Spoon would hug all of her friends at the same time if she could.

"You're such wonderful friends," Silver Spoon murmured. "There's no other way of putting it."

"I agree," Diamond said. "Maybe there is something about kindness. Like, maybe this is what makes happiness."

"You're exactly right." Silver Spoon wrapped a foreleg around Diamond for a moment. And as if they read her mind, Twist and the Cutie Mark Crusaders all huddled up around them, joining in the group hug she yearned for seconds ago. "We're all so proud of you."

Nodding, Diamond wiped the tears away from her eyes. "I know. You all rock, and don't let anypony convince you otherwise."

"Yeah, we're a cool bunch," Scootaloo replied, hooves behind his head. "Ya know, maybe we'll become close friends after all. You're a quick learner like Silver Spoon over there."

Everypony then returned to their seats, but they kept their gazes on Diamond and Silver Spoon.

"Silvy always learned quickly." Diamond gently nudged Silver Spoon, the latter chuckling for a moment. "We all know you're a genius."

"You're making me blush, Di," Silver Spoon said.

"Oh, and one more thing!" Straightening her seating posture, Diamond peered into Silver Spoon's pupils, Silver Spoon doing the same. "Silvy, I did talk to Archer about the whole spying thing, and while she can't come over right now, she is sorry."

"Well, I'll accept her apology." Silver Spoon cracked a slight smile; a giggle escaped her lips. "Her actions did make us all better ponies, after all."

"Agreed."

Silver Spoon rubbed her muzzle. "By the way, what's Archer up to right now? I assume she's working on some kind of project if she's busy."

"Yeah, she's busy doing something with her buddies right now, though I wouldn't call it a project."

"How come?"

Diamond took a quick breath. "Like, it's something sports related—something about a rumor that the Wonderbolts are going to be visiting in a few days. They're gonna talk to us about what it's like and teach us some things related to what we've been learning."

"Really?" With twitching ears, Silver Spoon leaned closer to Diamond.

"Yep!"

Of all the ponies who sprung into the air at Diamond's words, Sweetie was the last on Silver Spoon's list. Yet, she leaped up alongside Scootaloo, both of them adorned with radiant grins.

Scootaloo being excited at the prospect, however, was expected given her interests. With this observation, Silver Spoon wondered if Scootaloo would fly soon. Her wings seemed to be developing as the pegasus maintained flight for a few seconds; they were inches away from keeping the pegasus airborne. And Silver Spoon's heart couldn't help itself from warming at the thought.

I know you'll fly one day, Scootaloo. Maybe you'll even join—

"The Wonderbolts?" Scootaloo blurted out. She plopped back onto her chair, unable to sit still. "That's totally awesome!"

"Aha! That's who Blaze must work for!" Sweetie chimed, her voice squeaky. "I knew it!"

"You didn't mention it when we met her," Twist teased. "That would've been cool to know."

"I know." Sweetie sat back down, blushing. "I just kinda forgot."

The six all laughed in unison, Apple Bloom hiccuping in the middle only intensifying the giggling.

While both Diamond's journey and her journey were far from over, Silver Spoon knew they'd come out as stronger, wiser, and better ponies. To think that their initial breakup would see her befriending not one, but four ponies she teased in the past. Diamond was well on her way in doing the same, the playful remarks and friendly discussions with other ponies hinting at this. And somewhere within Ponyville Elementary, Cheerilee had to have been grinning and so proud of her students.

If friendship was magic, Silver Spoon and Diamond were both experiencing why friendship was the strongest magic of all. It was the light at the end of a dark tunnel. Even if there were some bumps in the road or obstacles to clear, Silver Spoon knew she had the heart to make it across; her friends would help guide her.

And should Silver Spoon cross paths with Prancy Drew again, they'd definitely forge the friendship that almost happened.

The End

Comments ( 15 )

That was... That was a really sweet ending. :pinkiesad2: I really loved this story, as well as the character development of Silver Spoon. Thank you for creating this, and I hope to see more of your work. :raritywink:

6566743 You're welcome! And thank you for following this story! I'm glad you found it enjoyable. :twilightsmile:

*Huggles* this was a fun read! Thanks for sharing.

6566884 You're welcome! I'm glad you liked it. :pinkiesmile:

6567023 This story has nothing to do with Winning Pony, as I haven't read it. Any similarities would be coincidental as a result. :twilightsheepish:

Anyway, thank you for taking a look at the story. I appreciate it. :twilightsmile:

No Tootsy or Archer for the epilogue ? I have the feeling you didn't know what to do with them so you just have write them off. :applecry:

6567310 Well, I planned for Archer to also approach the group in the initial draft, but I felt it was too repetitive since Rumble did the exact same thing in his apology to Diamond Tiara. As such, I decided to have her be busy with a project that leads into Silver Spoon thinking about Scootaloo and her flying issues. Tootsie was in a similar situation, though since she wasn't involved in the spying, she had no reason to approach them. Sorry it wasn't what you hoped.

Anyway, thanks for reading the story. I appreciate it.

Wanderer D
Moderator

That was a cute story, Manaphy! Well done!

6567627 Thank you for the compliment and for looking at my story. I highly appreciate it! :twilightsmile:

Yaaaaay! :pinkiehappy: I'm glad it had a happy ending for everyone and that they all are better ponies than when the fic first started. You created a wonderful story, thank you for sharing it with us!

6574220 Yep! It was fun developing these characters and watching them grow in my opinion. :twilightsmile:

Thank you for reading the story. I appreciate it! :pinkiesmile:

This is a really nice story. Though just a heads up, when you're talking about Archer you sometimes call her a him.

6590041 Oops. Sorry about that. Silly typos on my part. :twilightsheepish:
Anyway, I'll go fix that. Thanks for reading the story. :twilightsmile:

6590048 No problem. Keep up the great work!:twilightsmile:

It disappoints me that this has so few likes...
Which indicates to me that it doesn't have the greatest traffic stats... (Not that I know whether or not this site supports such things)
Anyway, that immediate concern aside, it's there for a good reason...

Oh boy was this good...
Like, not 'oh, yeah, that's something worth reading.'
more along the lines of "All of this, in my face, right now!" *Argghhllhgeeehghlllehge*

I mean, there are lot of Silver Spoon redemption stories, most people find her the one with the most to work with because it's always Diamond making the mess and Silver being like "I just roll with it..." (Or at least that's what it seems like from the show anyway)
Until Crusaders of the Lost Mark came up (at my guess) around 3/4 way through this story and potentially ruined everything...
meh, I didn't like that episode anyway...
*moving on*

The entire premise of SS being regretful for the things she's done is quite common, as mentioned before... But very few actually hit the nail on the head when it comes to why.
Silver having reservations on what she'd done wasn't just lumped on us from a single instant, through the several flashbacks (and hearing it directly from Silver's perspective) we get the picture that it was built up over many instances of 'hey, is this too much?'

Like the scene in Sugarcube Corner very early on, with Silver just glancing at Sweetie Belle... (And it's always Sweetie Belle)... Hoping that she either didn't notice, or doesn't alert her friends of what was going on... A small wave, and two innocent parties who just 'go along' with whatever their friends were doing suddenly realise together "Hey, maybe there's hope for me (her) yet..."
There were several other mentions here and there like this, but the character that seemed most out of place was Cheerilee...
Sure, I get it, she's the teacher in a story about the foals... But I find it quite hard for me to believe that Cheeri didn't know anything about what happened between her students during lunch breaks and in class... I mean, I understand why now, but as a child, sure, you think you can hide everything... But you can't, they can see through you like a window...

So, the scenes where Cheeri confronts Silver were either great because Cheeri should've taken up acting instead of teaching... Knowing that Silver was the pony to approach about it to set things right... Or, they were terrible because teachers should notice these things about their students and put 3+3 together... I read this story about a week ago, and I can't recall the scenes perfectly to try and determine which side of that fence I sit on, but the ambiguity itself is enough because it's being seen from Silver's perspective... Ugh, I am so conflicted... I'll give these parts a B... B+ because you're going to make me read them again...

General consensus about writing style and punctuation is great... Words were so rarely out of place/missing/misspelt... I can't remember anything major that drove me nuts... Wasn't flawless, but was almost there...

The final part of the story being the approach onto Diamond... And the start of the scene with Silver standing below Diamond's window just made me wish she had a cassette player like those cheesy 80's love stories... But flat jokes aside it was just Silver trying to talk Diamond down from the high horse she was on and getting her to understand how she felt for the first time without just backing down to Diamond's wishes for more mean~ness...
Which was great...
There was just one major problem...

When Cheeri approached Silver, and she heard the bush rustle just outside the school door... Like, literally 5 metres from Cheeri's ears... All Silver had to do was check the bush herself, find said spy (Or a bird, Whatever) and then most of the drama in the second half could've been avoided between her and Diamond without Diamond thinking that Silver went behind her back to.....
*sigh*
See how this is painful to say?
Once again, if main character (x) had've just done action (y) the entire rest of the story wouldn't have been such a big fucking mess... Leaving everypony to not take anything out of context and cause such issues with everypony else...

I mean, that, and the scene with Diamond and Rumble... Rumble was set up to be such a softie... And he might be, sure... But that's all hearsay... We only have what other foals have said about him, no real evidence to say that he was really just wanting a big hug...

Anyway, those two issues and this nearly 1000 word long 'review' aside, I really enjoyed this story... I wouldn't still be here writing this if I didn't...
So for that, well done on a story well executed... I just wish more people got their eyes on it, because as far as Silver Spoon redemption stories go, this is definitely within my top 2, and will be finding itself on my recommended list...
Not that my lists mean anything to anyone... But, well... You've gained a fan?
Yay?

Now to try and find another story you've written that piques my interest... I think I'll go to "Sunset's Student" next...
Well done, (assumedly) fellow Pokemon fan.

Login or register to comment