• Published 18th Feb 2015
  • 759 Views, 6 Comments

Anniversary Dinner - TheOriginalSS



It's Lyra and Bon Bon's anniversary and Lyra forgot it completely. Now she has to plan it and make it up on the fly, and things don't go as she planned.

  • ...
2
 6
 759

It's Our Anniversary?

Author's Note:

I meant to have this up before Valentine's Day, yet my computer decided that it wanted to be mean and decided to delete the document when I went to upload it.

Luckily I recovered it, but I had to re-write most of the beginning.

Fun Fact: This was actually going to be a clop fiction, yet when I started to write it, I decided that it didn't need that. I thought it'd be nice to try my hand at some simple romance.

This hasn't been proffread, so beware grammer nazis!

Otherwise, hope you like the story and please leave some comments on what you thought!

((Oh, and it's rated T for teen because of a few suggestive lines, but nothing bad))

It was as normal as an average day in Ponyville would ever appear. The sun was shining, the birds were chittering, and all of the town seemed to be alive and awake this morning.

Towards the south end of the town was a store that seemed to blend in with all the others around it. It was apart of an unbroken chain of thatched roofs, large glass panes and decorated park benches. The sunlight shone from behind the houses, so anypony passing by could get a good look at the goods that each pony seemed to be putting up for sale.

One store towards the middle of the chain was empty, save for one customer. A lime green pony with a lyre adorning her flank was bent over the case, licking her lips in preparation for the delicious treats.

Lyra sat down beside the small glass counter, staring at the sweets. The multiple taffies, mints and tarts all seemed to be pulling her into their delicous embrace. The swirls of pink and blue enticed her to want to punch open the glass and eat them. She pressed her hoof against the glass, her mouth slightly dropping open as she began to salivate.

“Lyra..?” A voice came from behind the counter. A tan pony stood at a swinging door between the counter and the waiting area.

Lyra gave a gasp and jumped up into the air, falling backwards. She wasn’t able to stop herself from falling, so she ended up falling completely onto her back.

Bon Bon gave a little gasp and pushed the swinging door open, trotting over and lifting the mint green pony up, “Lyra! Lyra, are you okay?!”

Lyra rubbed her head gently, groaning slightly. She looked over to the treats and instantly she began to lick her lips again.

Bon Bon looked from her face to the glass before her forehead and hoof connected, “Lyra, if you want sweets, just say so!”

“I don’t have any money!” Lyra whimpered, pressing her snout into the glass, “I used my last bits to fix up the table I broke last month!”

Bon Bon cringed as she remembered the incident. As the memory surfaced, she sighed. “I didn’t know that a banana, a stuffed penguin and a cup of cream cheese could even do that.”

Even though she knew she shouldn’t, Lyra couldn’t help but begin to chuckle as the memory began to come to her. She blushed a little. “I-I didn’t expect for the penguin to break the table!”

“I’m sure you didn’t plan for a lot of things, Lyra.” Bon Bon shook her head and walked back behind the counter. “Knowing you, you probably don’t plan things at all.”

The mint pony’s snout suddenly scrunched up. She gave a small growl before stomping her hoof indignantly. “I do plan for things!”

Bon Bon started to chuckle. “Oh? Well tell me, what is today?”

Lyra paused and she started to rub her head with her forehoof. She started to try and think about what was happening that very day. She continued to think about it for almost a minute before she finally gave up. “Tuesday?”

The tan pony flipped around, her face a mixture of disappointment and anger. She growled before rushing back into her kitchen.

“Bon Bon?” Lyra gasped, jumping over the swinging door to get to her friend. Yet the door refused to budge, “Bon Bon!”

There was a sound of scuffling inside of the kitchen, along with the sound of paper ripping. A few moments later a sheet of paper was tossed through the slit between the door and the floor.

Lyra blinked and levitated it up to her face. It was a calender of this month. She scanned it with her eyes until she finally saw today’s date. The following was written in bright red pen and cirlced multiple times:

1 Year Anniv. W/th Lyra!

Lyra blinked rapidly before suddenly she remembered it. She looked down at her hoof, her cheeks flushing bright red as she realized she’d completely forgotten about the day.

Bon Bon walked out, sitting down in front of her marefriend. “Let me guess, you forgot, didn’t you?”

Lyra’s face turned red as she quickly decided thta a lie would serve her much better: “I-I did not! I was testing you!”

Bon Bon raised her eyebrow. “Love, if you forgot, just say it. I won’t be mad.”

Contemplating the offer, she quickly decided not to take it. She shook her head. “I most certainly did not forget!”

Bon Bon face-hoofed. “You are a horrible liar.”

The mint pony again decided that denial would save her hide. “I did not forget Bon Bon! In fact, I-I came here to invite you my house tonight!”

Even though she was still skeptical, the tan pony decided to give her love the benefit of the doubt. She gave a small smirk. “Oh? Go on dearest.”

A small bead of sweat began to gently roll down the side of her forehead. It was enveloped in a slight aura and suddenly was tossed to the other side of the room. She began to slowly come up with something to say.

“I-I have a romantic night planned out just for you baby, all you need to do is come over around nine!” She smiled.

Groaning, Bon Bon muttered. “Babe, I do not want to go to the swimming pool again.”

DANG IT! She instantly had all her chioces narrowed down.

Bon Bon began to laugh slightly, “You really don’t have anything planned at all, do you?”

Shaking her head, Lyra put on her bravest face and smirked, “Don’t worry, I’ll have more things than that planned! That was only one of many activities that I have planned!”

Smirking widely, Bon Bon instantly began to think of something, “Say Lyra, if you’re so confident, why don’t we make a little bet?”

Lyra blinked rapidly, then suddenly shook her head. “Bring it on!”

Knowing that her marefriend could never resist a bet, Bon Bon gave a little smirk. “Alright then. I’ll come over tonight and see what you have planned. If you manage to impress me, I’ll be the do whatever you want. But if I’m not, then you have to do whatever I want for our anniversary.”

Lyra instantly blushed, rubbing her eyes hard. Her back hooves began to shiver and her tail started to shift.

“What is that? Are you too scared?” Bon Bon walked up, rubbing her tail over Lyra’s cheek.

“I-I’m not scared!” She hissed defensively. “I’m just not sure if I’ll be at my top game…”

Bon Bon gave a smirk and turned her plot towards her lover, flicking her tail around. She giggled. “Awh, are you telling me you don’t want this?”

Lyra blinked hard, “N-No that’s not it at all!”

“Then what is it?” The candy maker sat down, a smirk on her face.

“I-I…” She looked down and finally sighed. “Fine, I think it’s a good bet.”

Bon Bon stuck out her hoof, “We got a deal?”

Lyra shook her hoof firmly. “Yep, we have a deal!”

Bon Bon gave a large smirk and walked over to the counter, sitting down and smiling widely. “I’ll see you tonight at nine dearest.”

Lyra smiled before making her way out the door. The moment that she’d gotten out of earshot, she ran over to the nearest bench and hit her head on it.

“I’m so screwed…”

~

9:01 PM

Lyra rushed around, carrying three large buckets of red paint to her living room. She looked up at the time and squealed, dropping the buckets and scattering little drops of paint on the floor.

“Shit, Shit, Shit!” She moved the buckets out of her way and ran to the kitchen, grabbing her mop in her magic aura. She quickly wiped up the small bits of red stains.

Just as she was finished, she suddenly heard a loud knock at the door. She froze as everything in time and space seemed to slow down at that very moment.

“Lyra sweetie!” Bon Bon’s smug voice sounded from behind the door, “I’m here!”

Lyra quickly opened up her closet and threw the mop inside of it, not caring if it stained the wall. She flew over to the couch and looked around frantically for her socks.

After a few minutes of frantic searching, the doorbell rang again. This time, Bon Bon remained silent.

“I’m coming!” Lyra gasped, using her magic to pull on the long striped blue and red socks up her back legs. She instantly regretted she hadn’t thought of this earlier, as they looked rather unfinished. Yet she didn’t have time to do anything special, so she decided it would have to do.

Just as Bon Bon raised her hoof to knock, suddenly Lyra flung the door open, holding a rose in the air with her magic, “Why hello Bon B-”

Her eyes fluttered as she got a good look at her marefriend. Bon Bon had slicked her hair back and down, tying it up into a ponytail. She wore a large expensive necklace in the shape of her own personal cutie mark. Along her body was a satin dress, which hugged her body hard. Her tail had also been done in a ponytail, which fit through a small hole in the back of her dress. She smelled faintly of lilac, and her eyes had been done with fancy masquera.

Lyra looked at her own bare body, minus her failed attempt at seductive socks, and double regretted not getting dressed earlier.

“Why hello dear,” Bon Bon gave a large smile, holding out her hoof, “I see you prepared the house for me.”

Lyra took her hoof and gave it a swift kiss, pulling her inside the house and magically closing the door. She locked it and winked, guiding her to the couch and sitting her down.

“So, what do you have planned for us this special night?” The sweets mare cocked her head to the side and stared at her lover right into her eyes.

Lyra started to panic as she realized she had no idea what she was going to do. Other than a nice dinner, she hadn’t planned anything!

“W-Well Bonny,” She fiddled with her hooves, “First we were going to watch a nice romantic movie together. After that I have a nice dinner planned for us that is in the oven at the moment.”

“Anything else?” Bon Bon smiled to her, yet the question was ironic.

Lyra’s mind moved at a hundred miles a minute. She started to think before she blurted out: “Crafts!”

Her marefriend raised an eyebrow, “Crafts, dear?”

“Y-Yep!” She gulped, “I-I though we could make some nice pictures together, seeing as you make all those fancy little wrappers for your candies! I-I wanted to have something we could frame in the shop!”

Even though she was still rather skeptical, Bon Bon nodded her head and smiled sweetly, “That sounds like fun.”

Lyra gave her love a peck on the cheek. She smiled and quickly trotted over to the television, levitating a small CD from a small case.

“Which movie are we watching?” Bon Bon asked, smiling to her lover.

Lyra smiled and she put the movie in, “It’s called La Passion, it’s a movie that was translated from equish, and I heard some really good reviews on it. It’s supposed to be about two lovers who get caught at sea and seperated, and one of them has to find a way to find his love before a hurricane strikes.”

Bon Bon nodded approvingly, “That sounds like fun.”

Lyra smiled and hit her remote to play the movie. She smiled and slowly the movie began.

Within the first three minutes, they were both scremaing.

“TURN IT OFF!” Bon Bon yelled, flailing her hooves for the remote while burying her face into Lyra’s flank.

Lyra fumbled around, forgetting she was a magical unicorn. She remembered it just as a jump scare came up on the screen, scaring her and causing both of them to fall to the floor.

Lyra hit her head against the table as they went down. The impact sent the remote off the table and the batteries fell out. Luckily, it also loosened the cord to the TV, shutting it off.

“W-what the hell was that?!” Bon Bon rubbed her eyes, already knowing half of those images wouldn’t be leaving her dreams that night.

Lyra was rubbing her horn when she looked up at the disc player. She hit it with her hoof and it popped the disk out.

“That was… Nightmare on Mare Street.” She panted, shaking her head violently.

Bon Bon’s eyes widened, “Where did you… how did you mess that up?!”

Lyra stared at the disc before blushing, “I-It looked like the other disc, okay!”

Bon Bon lifted her head up, then she suddenly brushed another disc off the table, “You mean like this disc?”

Lyra’s face flushed red before she almost slammed her head into the floor. She blushed heavily before shivering, “I-I’m sorry Bonny!”

Even though she wanted to be mad, the tan mare decided that she didn’t mean any harm and let it slide. She said nothing and got up, sitting on the couch.

This time, Lyra put in the right disc, praying that it was at least a decent movie.

~
10: 30 PM

To her credit, the movie was very romantic and sad at the same time. She thanked Celestia that Bon Bon actually mangaed to cry at the end of the movie.

“That was… that was perfect.” Bon Bon rubbed her tears away.

“Yeah, it was pretty good.” She smiled, reaching over to take her hoof, “So dear, are you hungry?”

Bon Bon nodded, her stomach growling to prove her point.

The mint mare jumped up and she happily guided her to the kitchen. She’d managed to get fresh fruits, veggies and cheese for the side items, as well as a delicious cheesecake for dessert. All she had left to do was pull her award winning casserole out of the oven.

“Do you smell something?” Bon Bon took a sniff, looking around.

Lyra bilnked, “It kinda smells like… BUCK!” She threw herself into the kitchen and opened her oven up, pulling out her casserole and staring at it.

The casserole was a bit over-cooked, yet it wasn’t burnt. She blinked rapidly, “Then… what’s burning…?”

“LYRA!” Bon Bon suddenly grabbed her hoof and pointed her at the door to her backyard.

The mint mare looked outside to suddenly regret she had. She’d set up lights all around her large shed to spell out ‘I love you Bonny’. Yet apparently the outlet had sparked and now the shed was on fire.

“SWEET CELESTIA!” She ran back into her kitchen, grabbing a fire extinguisher from under her sink. She held it in the air telekinetically and ran outside.

The smoke had already begun to spread. The sounds of a siren were already coming, yet by the time they got there her shed would be gone and probably her lawn as well.

“Lyra, don’t go out there!” Bon Bon grabbed her hoof, her eyes wide with fear, “You’ll get burned!”

“I have to, all my research is in there!” Lyra yanked her hoof away and pointed the canister straight at the flames, then magically squeezed the trigger.

The white foam shot up and smothered the flames, taking out the majority of those on the roof. She did a barrel roll and aimed it at the flames on the side of her shed, effectively smothering them.

She saw the source of the flames: a bright red outlet that was sparking repeatedly. She sprayed it violently, getting up dangerously close to it to try and put out the fire.

“LYRA!” Bon Bon gave a cry, rushing out onto the lawn to grab her and pull her back to the house. She launched herself at her lover, flinging herself onto her back.

Lyra yelped as the canister went flying at the fire. She fell to the ground with Bon Bon on top of her.

The canister flew right at the outlet, hitting it and breaking it. The sparks stopped and the rest of the white foam that had now begun to leak down the shed put out the rest of the flames.

Lyra turned around and she rubbed her eyes before finally groaning, “So much for a big surprise…”

~

11: 37 PM

With a bandage on Lyra’s forehead, the unicorn levitated away the finshed bowls of casserole and began to gently wash them out with water.

Bon Bon nervously watched her, waiting to see if there was any blood. When she’d tackled Lyra, her head hit a sprinkler and she’d begun to bleed. Though the majority of the bleeding had stopped, she was still worried about her.

“Dear, let me get those dishes for you…”

Lyra looked up and snapped, “I can do them love, just give me a few minutes!”

Bon Bon sighed and walked over to her, putting her hoof on Lyra’s horn, “Lyra, you don’t have to do this anymor-”

“I said I’m fine!” She dropped the bowl and stomped over to the table, levitating the empty plates of fruits into the sink.

Bon Bon had seen Lyra angry before, yet she hadn’t seen her like this. She sat down on the floor and whispered, “Lyra, please let’s just go upstairs and do some of those craft-”

Lyra turned, a red spot forming on her bandage. She dropped the plates and she yelled, “I’m doing the dishes, I’ll go do the damned crafts when I get around to it Bonny!”

This time, Bon Bon frowned, “Okay Lyra, I tried being nice, now I’m ordering you to go to the bed and lay down!”

“No I will not!” Lyra cried out and took a step too far towards the table. Her hoof hit the rung that held the back legs together and the chair flipped backwards, nailing her on the snout and throwing her to the floor.

“Lyra!” Bon Bon rushed over, grabbing her and helping her back to her hooves, “Lyra are you okay?! Does your snout hurt?! Breathe through your nose! Can you feel your snout?!”

Lyra’s face was one of pure anger. She began to snort hard, her back hoof scraping the floor. She was about to go off on her before suddenly the anger was replaced with sheer sadness.

Lyra suddenly bolted away from her lover, flying into the bedroom and slamming the door. She flung herself onto her bed and shoved her head into the pillows.

“Lyra!” Bon Bon ran after her, stopping at the edge of her doorway. The sounds of sobbing could be heard inside the room.

Bon Bon frowned and gently opened the door. Lyra had torn her socks off and thrown them onto the floor. She lay face down on the bed, two pillows shoved against her head.

“Lyra…” Bon Bon gently walked up and put her hoof against her back, rubbing it gently, “What’s wrong?”

Lyra’s only response was a low moan and her crying intensified.

“Lyra honey, please talk to me.” She began to rub her spine in a gentle motion, tracing small circles in her fur with a large frown.

Lyra muttered something into the pillows.

“Lyra, I can’t hear you.” She rubbed the base of her tail, scratching it with her hoof in an attempt to calm her down.

“I RUIN EVERYTHING!” Lyra shouted, throwing one of her pillows into the wall.

“What? You don’t ruin anything love.” Bon Bon laid beside her and she tapped her cheek, “Hey, Hey Lyra? I wanna see your pretty face…”

“I bucked this whole night up!” Lyra shouted, turning her head away from Bon Bon, “I forget our anniversary, I don’t get dressed up, I scare the living daylights out of you, I burn down half my shed with a gift to you, hurt my head, yelled at you, and now I’m sobbing in bed when I’m supposed to probably be making sweet love to you!”

Bon Bon remained silent for a few moments before she whispered, “Baby, you didn’t buck this night up like you think you did.”

“Look at me!” Lyra sobbed, rubbing it up with a now wet and slimy hoof, “I should’ve had this all ready and planned out! Instead I’m crying because I can’t even get a simple thing like our anniversary straight! I should’ve had this planned out for months, been making preparations, gotten better food, checked the outlet…”

Bon Bon put her hoof to Lyra’s lips, making a gentle sushing motion. Lyra herself just whimpered.

“Dear, you tried your best for me, that’s all that I care about.” She smiled, petting down her lover’s spine ever so gently.

Lyra whimpered again, rubbing her eyes to get rid of her frequent tears.

“Baby,” Bon Bon leaned in and whispered into her ear, “I want you to know that I don’t care that things didn’t go as planned. you made an effort to try and make this night perfect for me, and that means more to me than any dinner you could ever put in front of me.”

“I made you a whole light display that light up in flames!” She argued, sniffing and laying her head back on the pillow.

“Hey… hey head up Lyra, I’m not done yet.” She put her hoof against Lyra’s cheek and lifted her head up, staring into her eyes.

“What really matters to me is that you tried to make this night special. So it didn’t go as planned, that doesn’t mean I hate you. Its the thought that counts the most to me, and the fact you put all this together on such a short notice just for me makes me the happiset mare in the world.”

Lyra’s eyes widened slightly, “Y-you mean you’re… you’re not upset with me?”

Bon Bon shook her head and gave her lips a gentle peck, “Of course not love.”

Lyra opened her mouth to speak, yet nothing came out. Instead it came out as a strangled sob as she threw herself against her love, whimpering into her fur and licking her ear gently.

“I love you, Lyra Heartstrings, nothing is going to change that.” She laid her head atop of the mint pony, sushing her and petting her gorgeous mane.

“I-I-I love you so much Bon Bon.” Lyra kissed her chest fur and snuggled her head against her warm huggable fur.

Bon Bon remained silent and instead began to pet her hair, pushing her hair aside and kissing her head directly.

Lyra whispered, “S-So about that bet…”

Bon Bon shushed her again and pulled her into a warm hug, “Forget about the bet, I love you.”

Giving a sigh of relief, she whimpered before pushing her body up against Bon Bon, moving her position into the lower spoon as they cuddled.

“Are you tired, love?” Bon Bon asked, pulling her close and kissing her cheek.

“Y-yeah.. really tired… putting out a fire must do that to a pony.” She blushed heavily before snuggling up against her warm fur.

“Goodnight my love,” Bon Bon pulled the blanket up and over them, “I love you.”

“I love you too, Bon Bon.” Lyra yawned before her eyes shut and she gently fell asleep.

Comments ( 6 )

I'm not sure if you want feedback on this, but here goes...

I think you have written Lyra and Bon-Bon characters well - I find them very relatable.
In particular Lyra's vulnerability and need to be loved really makes me feel for her.
Bon Bon's less sensitive, but level-headed personality provides a great counterpoint.

What I enjoy the most about this story, though, is their interaction.
The fact Lyra's vulnerability bring out a softer side of Bon Bon's
personality - Bon Bon taking care of Lyra when she is injured, and
reassuring her when she is in distress - adds so much to the story.

Finally: To hear that someone loves you. To hear that they do so
despite everything that goes wrong because they know that you
tried. To hear that this is what matters to them, and know,
from the that experiences you've shared, that what they
say is the truth - that will always melt my heart.

5773835 Thank you NineLives, I appreciate it.

So adorable. That's what I want in a relationship. Someone who doesn't care if you mess up, someone who cares for you when you're hurt, and loves you unconditionally. :heart:

6706871 I've been in a relationship where things have gone wrong, and you get punished for it. So I decided to write a story where I could have the characters show each other what love really is.

I love this. I especially like the part where lyra snaps at bon bon and bon bon doesn't miss a beat in how she responds with her tough love, especially in how she doesn't respond by getting upset at lyra for how she was acting because of her emotions.

Login or register to comment