• Published 23rd Jan 2015
  • 507 Views, 103 Comments

Closing Song - 2006midnight



Octavia knows she is nearing the end of her life, and spends some time reflecting on all she's accomplished as well as those who were closest to her.

  • ...
1
 103
 507

Cadence of Purity

A single red rose, the whispering of the soft breeze around me, the way a cloud drifts across the sky, the glow of Princess Celestia’s golden sun, the way the shadows are cast on the ground. It’s amazing how, when you know the end is drawing nearer with each breath you draw, everything you once thought mundane or trivial suddenly becomes so vibrant. And not just physical things, memories and emotions as well. It’s almost like, like the world is trying to apologize for what it is soon to do to you. An apology that I, for one, will fully accept and cherish with all my heart. Most ponies would not do so, they would instead become bitter and withdrawn for however much time they have left. All that will accomplish, is hurting those who care about you and don’t want to see you suffer.

I, however, do not see the point of changing who you are for the worse because of something that is beyond your control. Rather than dwell on the rough aspects of my life, I choose to embrace the beauty that I’ve never seen until now. A beauty so pure, I cannot fathom why it was so unclear before this. Before gaining the knowledge that I’m living on borrowed time. With each breath I take, many things I’ve wondered about my past are being brought to light. All my life has been a song. A sad, mournful song at times, but a song nonetheless. My song is finally reaching its peak, a peak that I will be sure to make the best it can possibly be. I just wish I had more time to make it as great as I’d hope it could get to be.

But, is it truly the time we live that matters most? Or is it the quality of whatever time we had with those who touched our hearts the most?

Throughout my life, I’ve often wondered how I came to be friends with a pony who is practically my polar opposite. Vinyl Scratch is loud, messy, unsophisticated, and loves to play that electronic/dubstep/whatever it’s called and claims that it’s music. Whereas I favor classical music, high society functions, and a neat, at least somewhat orderly life. And yet, even with our many differences, I love her anyway. She is my one and only true friend.

Ever since I met her, she’s been the best part of my life. The one pony I can really be myself around and not be afraid to be judged for it, or worry that one of my secrets will find itself in the news for everypony to read. I just wish that I’d seen just how wonderful she is sooner. I hate that it had to take so long for me to figure out something that’s been staring me in the face for years now. Foolish as it is, I wish I could turn back time, and be given years and years of time to show her how much she means to me, but, with things as they are, I will just have to do everything I can to make up for lost time. Whatever it takes, I want, no, I need her to understand that. Then maybe I can leave this world with at least some small semblance of fulfillment and peace.

Although, is it really peace that I want? Somehow, it feels like I’m searching for something else, something…something more. Something that would hold a deeper level of emotion and meaning to me. If only I knew what that thing could be.

And yet, maybe…maybe I’ve already found it.

Music has always meant so much to me. Ever since I was a young filly, I was infatuated with it. Hearing a full orchestra play, it made my heart feel warm and…if I’m not mistaken, I was feeling true happiness. And when I picked up a cello, and my hooves touched the bow and strings for the first time, that first note, as out of tune and probably quite terrible sounding as it was, is the note that made me who I am. That was not the first note of my song, but it was the beginning of what I then thought to be the best part of my life.

I lost sight of what music really meant the moment I began performing. In the beginning, yes, it was more about sharing the beauty of song amongst all the ponies in Equestria that I could, but, as time went on, it became more and more about money, and individual gain. I was so caught up in all the parties and prestige that went with being the best cellist in the Canterlot Symphony Orchestra, that the true emotion of the notes I played had left me. Yet again, I find a part of my life that I wish I had realized sooner. And once more, I find myself wishing I could turn back time, only to be disappointed with the reality of such an impossibility.

And so, all I can do now is use what time I have left to its fullest. At least once, I need to feel the true power of the music and see the true message hidden beneath the notes. Time enough for one more song, that’s all I ask. To anypony else, it wouldn’t mean anything, but to me, it would mean the world. For I would be able to see the true beauty in life once again.

My name is Octavia Melody, and soon, my song will have faded away to nothing. And yet, if nothing else, I'd like to be remembered by this one, final verse:

Each and every moment of our life is one to cherish, whether it is good or bad. You can never know when these moments will cease to be available to you. The glass through which we see life is fragile, for one reason. It was made to be broken. It's up to use to break it, all it takes is a single leap of faith. Just one moment when any fears we have dissipate, and we truly have free will. In those few seconds, we learn more than we have our entire life. In that single moment, as that fragile glass shatters before our eyes we see all the colors of our world. Then, and only then, can we say that we understand the reality of purity, of finality, of life, and, of the most feared of all, of death.

Comments ( 103 )

This is a sad story... To me knowing that life is slipping it is a sad aspect.:fluttershysad:

5541272 It was supposed to be sad...

5541285 I know and it may just be m but if I found out I was to die. I would want to know happiness to be left in my wake not sadness. That is why I want a Irish wake. The body is left in the house. Beer and snacks ad music. A party to celebrate the pass into better horizons.

5541309 I....I'd just want to not wind up hurting people.....

5541321 You are a god person at heart... I can tell.

5541328 I wish I was a good person....but I'm not, so....

5541333 You can lie o me all you like I know what I know to be the truth. I have had my eye on you for a while. Watching listen it is what I do.

5541345 Maybe they're lies to you, but not to me.....I....uh....that's kind of disturbing....

5541354 Well how else are you going to see the truth. Anyone can tell you lies but in not all the time is the truth so easy to hide. I see something in you either you can't see or you don't want to see.

5541372 Probably both can't and don't want to.....

5541375 Then I am going to remind you... I am going to get it through if I have to manually drill it into your head. I am tired of see good people go to waste. Like DemonFyre there is nothing wrong she di nothing to deserve this shit. The worst crap happens to the best people and it pisses me off.

5541395 You won't be able to get me to believe whatever it is you see in me......

5541402 That's fine I set myself up to fail everyday. I just wont stop trying and the day I die you will know that up to that point I am the one who never gave up.

5541415 I'm sure I'll die before you......

5541417 Not at the rate I am going... Sometimes I wonder just how long I got left.

5541420 I doubt I'll live another year.......if even another 6 months.....

5541424 What makes you say that?

5541452 I don't want to live anymore......I haven't for a long time.....the only reason I'm still here is because I don't want to hurt anyone else.....

5541457 Then we have something in common. Neither of us can call it quits solely we don't wish to hurt others. I don't want you to hurt either though.

5541536 It's alright if you do.....I'm used to it.....

5541569 It is besides he point I care about you if you cannot tell.

5541645 I've noticed.....I don't get why so many people online do, but no one in real life cares at all....

5541656 Well I am real and if I could meet you I would prove it.

5541679 I know you're real.....I meant anyone I see face to face....

5541684 Lie I said I wish we could talk face to face I will show you just how wrong you are.

I agree with Helios, everyone's lives mean something.

5541722 You would be if you met me... I care for everyone. Especially the ones who don't care for themselves.

5541742 Mine doesn't.....everyone else's does though....

5541743 I.....I.....Im sorry.....

5541746 Y'know I talked about something similar to this last night; with my friend.

Wow, this is some deep stuff here...

5541752 Real life friend or online friend?

5541754 Is that a bad thing...?

5541804 Do you mind me asking why you were talking about that?

5541809 She felt bad about how she treated me and my parents when she was trying to take care of her dad.

I see there is a very serious theme so I will put some words here. Life is too beautiful to thinking like that But who am I? I' just a vegetable loosing feeling in my legs. Without any friends, without a support from my family. But I have never thought about suicide. I often smile and I don't worry about anything. Why? Because I know, that life is too short to be depressed. I enjoy in every step I've made, because I know that one day I'll make the last one. Even then I won't stop smiling and enjoying in every morning sunshine or every my dog's jump, when he pleased with my view. Life... so short and so beautiful...

5541816 Oh....I'm sorry....

5541819 I wish I could think like that....

5541840 I know what you think might be the right thing to do, but not when you've got the friends who care about you and try to make you happy; whether online or in real life.

5541844 This is no doubt a stupid question that you're probably sick and tired of answering, but are you alright?

5541854 No, I'm not.....not at all....

5541851 I can't be happy.....

5541831 It isn't so hard. Just don't think about mistakes or unpleasantness. If you wan't talk about it -> send me PM.

5541859 You can if you allow yourself to be and not think about what's bringing you down.

Login or register to comment