• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 4,404 Views, 658 Comments

Harmony's Creed - Gapeagle



I am Den Master Octavia Melody. I write these words so that the future generations may remember our endeavors.

  • ...
15
 658
 4,404

PreviousChapters Next
Bearer Chapter: Magic III

"Wha.....? Ow my chest...."

Twilight tried to sit up. The world was going up and down in a steady and annoying rhythm. The sky was there, the trees, the clouds, the mountain....The mountain?! Twilight gasped as she gazed upon Canterlot, the great city she was in moments ago, from the Valley. Her mind froze as she felt the saddle of a horse in her back, the pungent smell that only an animal could emit. She risked a glance to the left and right. She was not in the Grand Royal Palace. Where was Aunt Celestia? Sunset? Luna? She gulped at the realization that she had been kidnapped!

On both sides of her were a man and woman in white robes with hoods over their heads, shrouding their faces in mystery even in the bright day. Swords rested on their hips and crimson sashes were tied around their waists. Twilight began to feel a fine sweat on her face as she silently inspected her captors.

"Ah, you are awake."

"Gah! Who said that?" Twilight yelped.

"Bearer?" The man asked worriedly. "Bearer, you're awake! Good to see you survived the choosing."

"Get away from me!" Twilight screamed and teleported off her horse.

She landed face first in the dirt. The shard of Curiosity was still new to her and her powers were less than consistent. She poked her head out of the earth and scrambled frantically to her feet. She had only run for a few strides before whip wrapped itself around her ankles and she fell again.

"Have you ever seen a Bearer of Magic do that?" The woman asked.

"Nah, but that doesn't mean they can't." The man replied.

"Stop calling me that you thieves!" Twilight teleported out of the whip's grasp and she appeared on the high branches of a tall tree.

She did not escape the vision of her captors and they patiently waited at the trunk of the tree. Her teeth rattled with fear and her throat was dry with the desire to escape. Her eyes dashed around for an exit, but her shard was not helping her. She could not concentrate enough to teleport again. Thus, she cringed in the branch, not knowing or performing a single action.

"What makes you worry?"

"Gah! There's that voice again!"

"It's your Element, Bearer." The man called to her. "The Element of Magic. Check your chest."

"My chest?" Twilight ran a hand to her ribcage, freezing upon feeling the jagged crystal conflicting with the smoothness of her skin.

She hesitantly looked down. Her bright purple dress that she was wearing for the Summer Sun Celebration was torn all over, especially around her chest where a gaping hole revealed her new, purple, pulsing, protruding, heart of crystal. It was all coming back to her. She was in her study making plans on how her and Sunset were going to spend the day when these two fiends intruded her room. It was so fast, so sudden, the way they spoke to her, the crystal speaking to her, the agonizing pain. She had fainted form it no doubt. Now she was far from Canterlot and the day was late.

"Bearer, we know it's tough, but you need to come down here. We need you to meet the others in Ponyville. They are waiting for you." The woman told her.

"You can't take me anywhere, I'm a prin..." Twilight stopped. What if they did not know she was a princess? She was in a public section of the Palace. They may think she was a student or scholar. "You can't take me anywhere! I don't...I don't even know who you are."

The woman raised a brow. "Hasn't the Element told you? We are Assassins of the Brotherhood. We were formed by Starswirl the Great...."

"Um, I'll take the whole history later when I feel better if you don't mind." Twilight said. "So...What are your names?"

"My name is Den Master Rain Drops of the South Canterlot Den." The woman bowed. "This is Den Master Whiplash of Ponyville. We are escorting you to our headquarters. We are friends and allies, Bearer, you have nothing to fear."

"How can I trust you? I...."

She felt a strong emotion sweep over her. It wasn't one of her own, but a foreign emotion from a foreigner in her mind. It ceased her talking and most of her thinking. Her body started to move without her command and she began to skillfully descend the tree.

"I am an impatient one, my dear Twilight. Let them guide you."

Twilight walked over to her horse in silence. The two Den Masters watched her in utter confusion, shrugging simultaneously before mounting their own horses. Twilight struggled mentally to fight the Element's control, but it was in vain as she took the reins of the horse and actually led the trio towards Ponyville.

"Welcome to your new life, my little Bearer of Magic."


"Alright, who are these other Bearers?"

"It's odd that Magic has not told you yet. The other Bearers bear the other Elements of Harmony. There are six of them. We almost had six Bearers, but the Bearer of Kindness...."

"Ok....I guess we are your leaders or something?" Twilight asked.

"Indeed." The Den Masters both nodded.

"Why don't you lead yousel...." She grunted from a shock that ran up her spine.

"What was that, Bearer?" Whiplash asked worriedly.

"I said...!" Another shock left her cringing in pain.

The horses walked towards a village comprised of a couple hundred thatched houses. This was certainly Ponyville, a place Twilight never wanted to visit. She often gazed at it from her Palace window but never wanted to get any closer. It lacked everything she loved about Canterlot. The spires, the art, the sculptures, the cleanliness, and the people. Well, maybe that last part could still be proven wrong.

"The other Bearers will meet you shortly, we must leave you here." Whiplash told her and he spurred his horse and galloped away with Rain Drops.

"Well that's just great." Twilight muttered.

Now that her Element was no longer controlling her every action, she stopped her horse and dismounted, only to land in mud. Fortunately, she was not wearing any expensive shoes; unfortunately, she was not wearing any shoes at all. She must have lost them in her fight with the Den Masters.

She trudged through the mud carefully before reaching more solid ground. It seemed that no one had noticed her yet. Good, she thought, maybe she could leave in the same manner. She cackled in her mischief and began to head away from the village, only to be confronted by a young woman with curly pink hair.

"Gah!" Twilight yelled in surprise.

The young woman blinked silently. She was wearing white robes as well, but they were not like the Den Masters at all. They were longer and more suited to one of an elderly position. She suddenly gasped loudly, her eyes bulging and her arms flailing madly. The gasp was long and exaggerated, scaring Twilight even more than the initial shock of their encounter. In a flash the young woman fled down the street and out of sight as if she had seen a monster.

"Well....That was weird. Better keep going before any more strange people show up."


This was the wrong direction wasn't it?"

Twilight gazed with contempt at the barn in front of her. She thought she was going back the way she came, but she went in the exact opposite and wound up on an apple farm. She was no closer home than before! She started to beat herself on the forehead in frustration.

"How could I be so dumb? How?" She yelled at herself.

"We don't like trespassers ya know?"

Twilight shot up upon the intimidating voice from behind her. She slowly turned to see that the voice originated from a tall, blonde woman in dark red and blackish armor. A hood was on her head and a thin piece of hay was sticking out of her mouth. Her blonde hair was tied in a long ponytail that slide out of her hood and rested on her thick breastplate. Her massive arms were crossed and her heavy boot tapped the ground with a low rattling bass. A two-headed ax was on her back, gleaming in the sunlight. Twilight jumped back.

"I didn't mean anything! I swear by the Empress!"

The burly woman chuckled. "Don't ya worry, sugarcube, I know ya didn't. Name's Applejack, Bearer of Honesty. This is my family's farm."

"Bearer? Oh...I guess I was supposed to meet you...."

"Eeyup. I can tell you're our newest Bearer. Moondancer was a great Bearer of Magic, tough seeing her go, but hey, that don't mean I can't be hospitable to ya. What's ya name?"

"My name is Twilight Sparkle."

"Well, howdy do, Twilight?" Applejack stretched an armored hand to Twilight and they shook hands.

Twilight's arm was tossed like a noodle in the grasp of the Bearer of Honesty. She tried to force the handshake to go slower, but it was no use. It was like she had no strength at all to match Applejack. Her arm still felt like going up and down even after they ceased their shake.

"Well, nice to meet you, but I have to be off. You know, I have to meet the others and all." Twilight said innocently.

"Of course ya do. Here, I'll take ya right to 'em." Applejack offered.

"You don't have to. I'll find them...."

"No you won't." Applejack shook her head. "I can tell you're tryin' get out of here. C'mon, the others are nice folk. Especially Pinkie Pie. You'll know when you've met her."

"No, really there is nothing you..."

Twilight was silenced by Applejack's sudden cold glare. Due to the hood over her face, Applejack's green eyes were bright against the darkness surrounding them, increasing her general intimidation immensely. Twilight nodded in defeat and they both started towards the village where she yearned not to go.


"All she does is talk about apples..." Twilight grumbled under her breath.

"Then there's my brother, Big Macintosh, or just 'Big Mac' to most. You ain't ever gonna get much out of him, but he's wise beyond most Equestrian folk. Ya can't miss the feller, he...."

Twilight stopped listening to the prattling Bearer. Apples. Family. Apples. Family. Apples. Family. Ax swinging. Apples. Family. Apples. Family. Punching trees. Apples. Family. Family of Apples. Apples that are family. She stopped caring. When could she just leave? When could she just runaway and escape these....these crazy Bearers? She sighed. The noise made the talking Bearer raise a brow at her.

"What's wrong sugarcube? Everything alright?"

"Yup. Everything." Twilight gave her a fake smile.

"Don't lie. I can tell ya not feeling....fantastic." Applejack halted and rested a heavy hand on Twilight's delicate shoulder.

"Well, for starters, I have just been kidnapped by your slaves and now I'm some sort of Bearer of Harmony! I have no idea what's going on or even what to do. Do you think I'll be bloody fantastic?"

"Thats' odd. Magic should of told ya all that. Honesty told me when I was chosen. Heh, I was 10 when that happened. Can't remember not being a Bearer."

Applejack said this with casual ease. Twilight gaped at it with shock. She had fainted in the middle of her choosing, but the pain, the pain was too much for a little girl, Tartarus, anyone to go through. That made Applejack, from her appearance, a Bearer for 10 years now, at least. Twilight found an odd respect for Applejack from this and felt that her complaints were nothing compared to what the Bearer before her had gone through.

"Well, I am also wearing this torn dress. Nothing fit for public you know?" Twilight chuckled hesitantly.

"Oh yeah! How could I forget?" Applejack slapped herself. "Ya wait right here. I'll get Rarity. That girl would love to help ya out."

In a flash Applejack ran off, her boots making large thumps on the dirt and mud. Twilight felt awkward simply standing there in the "street." There were people walking all around her, none looking like they were Assassins. A few glanced out her out of curiosity. Her torn dress made her appear nothing more than a vagabond. What a princess has been reduced to, she sighed.

The sound of quick feet approached her. It was not on the dirt or mud as it sounded like the feet were hitting something much more solid. It was becoming louder and louder until she finally turned around. A short figure ran at her at full speed, not slowing down a bit. Twilight froze at the colorful person ran right into her.

"Wah!"

Twilight and the figure fell to the ground and into a nearby puddle. The figure was running while bending over, clearly not watching where she was going, and thus slammed her head in Twilight's torso. Both of them groaned in pain from the collision. The figure recovered quickly and pounced on Twilight in anger.

"Hey! Watch where ya goin' ya piece of shi...Oh..." The girl softened her rage upon inspecting Twilight.

The woman wore a cyan colored robes and hood. Her large eyes were magenta and skin was weathered. Her hair was, to Twilight's surprise, the color of the rainbow as a pale yellow, deep red, and bright orange hung over her eyes while a dark green, simple blue, and contrasting violet crawled out from behind her thin yet strong neck. Two swords were strapped on her back. By their identical hilts, the swords were no doubt twins and their designs made me them of ancient Crystal make than Equestrian. Her upper arms were bare, save for two golden arm bracelets on either arm. Her wrist had thick gauntlets that ended at her hands. These gauntlets both had some sort of blade underneath them, as if it was a hidden weapon. Black gloves covered her hands until reaching the midpoint in her fingers, leaving the tips bare and dirty. All in all, she was quite unlike the other Assassins Twilight had seen before. She seemed more attuned to warm weather of a southern bay than a cool valley.

"Ehe, uhh....Sorry about that." She giggled nervously. Her voice was gruff and seemingly tried to be masculine.

"Um....No worries?" Twilight replied in a similar manner.

"Here let me get ya up."

The young woman stretched an arm to Twilight and pulled her up to her feet. With both of them standing, Twilight realized that this woman was a good head shorter than her. She was not that tall as Sunset often teased her for her less-than-average height, and so this woman surprised her even more.

"Sorry bout that." She repeated. "I kinda just get goin' and don't stop ya know? Aw man, I got ya soaked. Uhh...Here, let me dry you off some."

She drew her swords and showed them to Twilight. The blades glowed with severe hotness that she felt immediately. She was used to magic so this did not scare her, but the fact that the girl was drawing them close to her body did. The intense heat of the red-hot blades evaporated any wetness on her body and probably burned some of her hair off.

"Get that away from me!" Twilight jumped back.

"Why? I'm jus' trying to help. Alright. I guess you dry enough." She conceded and sheathed her blades as they instantly cooled down.

"So, who are you...." The woman paused as she gazed at the hole in Twilight's dress. "You're a Bearer? Well that sucks."

"Tell me about it." Twilight replied.

"My name is Rainbow Dash. The Rainbow Dash! I'm sure you've heard of me." She said proudly.

Twilight blinked. "Uh...And if I haven't?"

"What!" Rainbow pulled Twilight closer. "You haven't heard of me? I'm the captain of the Ragnarok! Raider of the Labyrinth Isles and the Equestrian coast! Sinker of the ELS Nox and the GKRS Yggdrasil. You...You haven't heard of me? Some guys call me the Spectrum. Maybe you know me by that name?"

"Nope."

Rainbow grunted in disappointment. "No matter! You'll know me soon enough. Around here they call me the Bearer of Loyalty. Loyalty smoyalty, I say. Pfft, these Assassins need me though. One of my profession as a rogue privateer is unheard of here. Means they'll admire me more."

"You're a rogue privateer? You used to serve the Empresses?" Twilight asked with piqued curiosity.

"What? No! I'll never serve those two pampered pussies!"

"Hey! Don't you talk about the Empresses like that." Twilight growled.

Rainbow was taken aback by Twilight's sudden change in mood. Twilight had a finger pointed at Rainbow's face and the pirate reeled back slightly from it. She then frowned and swatted the scolding hand away, much to Twilight's disapproval.

"I can talk about them how I want!" She returned. "They haven't had a day's worth of suffering like anyone here has. Now, if ya excuse me Bearer, I got some real business to get doing."

Rainbow mockingly waved at Twilight before turning around and walking away. Twilight huffed indignantly and crossed her arms. The Bearer of Loyalty did not stop walking until a loud shrill halted her.

"Rainbow! Great heavens what kind of behavior was that?!"

"Aw crap..." Rainbow muttered sadly and turned around.

Twilight turned to see what Rainbow was looking at. There, along with Applejack, was an Assassin woman in gorgeous white robes. The woman appeared short next to Applejack, but she was obviously taller than Twilight. She had striking sapphire eyes that dominated her immaculate face. Her slightly pointed nose, red lips, high cheeks, and haughty eyebrows were of beauty that not only rivaled Canterlot's finest, but beat them as well. Unlike the others, her hood was down, showing off her rich royal purple curls of hair. Despite being only one color and a dark one at that, her hair was more vibrant than Rainbow's. Her robes were of fine silk and flourished with elaborate floral designs. A white, one-shoulder, cape was draped over the left side of her thin but strong body. The cape had the symbol of three light blue diamonds that contrasted with the white of the outside and had a royal purple on the inside. A bright red sash was tied around her waist with a single, Crystal dagger sitting in it. Silver bracers decorated her wrists in a similar fashion to Rainbow. These, however, were carved with the Assassin insignia. Finally, the woman's boots were a light brownish leather of the best quality. Her entire being was a contrast to the rural surroundings. She appeared noble and much more Canterlotian than Twilight.

"I am sorry, dear." The woman told Twilight in a soothing and warm voice. "My friend Rainbow can be rude at times. It is a faulty habit of hers."

"No harm done?" Twilight shrugged. "I must say, you look lovely."

"I wish I could return the complement." The woman sighed and shook her head. "I am Rarity, Bearer of Generosity. Applejack informed me that you are our new Bearer of Magic. Well my dear, you simply cannot go about that. It's barely over indecent exposure."

"I'm not sure what you..."

"You must come with me at once, darling! Together we will fit you in the most fabulous of Assassin robes. And you, Rainbow, will come with!"

"Do I have to? You'll gonna do girly stuff." Rainbow moaned.

"Rainbow, this is an order." Rarity said sternly. "I can't have you out here and crashing into the common folk. From our experiences together, I know you are a walking disaster. When you are around me, I can contain it.

"Fine...You better make it exciting..." Rainbow uttered and walked to Rarity with the gracefulness of a sloth.

"Excellent. Now, let's get down to business."


"This is like....very not exciting." Rainbow groaned from where she was slouching.

"Rainbow, using proper Equestrian is not that hard." Rarity commented.

Applejack spat before replying. "Rarity, who uses proper Equestrian? Ya seem the only one."

"Hmph! In Canterlot, they speak with eloquence and enunciate every syllable. You two talk like you are missing half your teeth."

Twilight stood with her arms crossed as Rarity measured her. She had tried to flee from the fashion-driven Assassin, but was halted by a marble wall forming in front of the door. She still had no clue where the bricks of marble came from, but she had her suspicions. Rarity suddenly stood up from her previous crouching and bending, her eyes bright with inspiration.

"Idea! White robes will certainly not match your hair. Not with that pink highlight. I believe lavender would fit you best, darling. Lavender is making a comeback. If you have ever been to Canterlot, you would see."

"Heh, I'm from Canterlot."

Rarity gasped. "You are? My stars, this is fantastic. I've only been there a couple of times in my life. Both of them before I was a Bearer. Oh, how I wish I could go there again. The people, the spires, the nobles, ah, my people."

"Well, since we seem to be on the same team now, I guess I'll take you there." Twilight suggested.

"That falls to Applejack." Rarity said. "I may be a Bearer, but there is no doubt Applejack is the leader. Well, what do you say Applejack? Can I be stationed in Canterlot with Twilight?"

The Bearer of Honesty shrugged. "I don't see why not. Having two Bearers in the capital would be great. I hear the South Den there is fancy enough for ya."

"It is settled then. Oh, don't you worry Twilight, I can teach you the skills you need to be a Sister in the Brotherhood. I have taught several already, including someone who often rejects my teachings!" Rarity said through gritted teeth.

Rainbow grunted. "Yeah yeah, whatever."

"When ya done there, Rares, take Twi to the library. She could find some neat history on the Brotherhood there."

"You guys have a library?" It was Twilight's turn to squeal in excitement. "Becoming an Assassin can't be too bad if you have lots of books."

Rainbow deadpanned. "What an egghead..."


"This is the library? It's a tree...Oh well. It's not the strangest thing I've seen.

Twilight opened the door to the tree slowly. There seemed to be no one there at the moment. It was late in the evening. Rarity took a long time to make Twilight's new robes, which she was wearing. However, Rarity had a sort of material summoning power that her Element gave her, which quickened the process immensely. The robes were lavender and much simpler than Rarity's, much to Twilight's pleasure, and the silk hood was comfortable and shielding her face from the wind despite it being nothing more than silk. She took a deep breath and opened the door fully, stepping in quietly.

The library was dark and still. No noise emitted from the black walls and no lights illuminated anything. The place was foreboding and hostile to Twilight. Must think about the books, she thought, always about the books. A tingling shot up through her fingers. The Element pulsed with life and a bright purple spark popped off her fingertips. It was showing off its power, she realized. Twilight breathed and suddenly, an arcanic flame sprouted in her palm, giving off a small amount of light.

"That's neat." She commented.

Twilight glanced at the edges of the light only to be staggered in horror. She was not alone in the library as a pair of eyes looked right at her. A large, ceaseless grin of sheer joy reflected off the magic's light. The door closed behind Twilight, sending a wave of air through the room and wiping the small flame away, shrouding her again in darkness.

"Nope!"

She snapped her fingers and another flame appeared. The smiling figure was gone and there was no sign of the eyes at all. Twilight sweated in panic as she searched the room for any clue as to where the insanely happy face went. She ran to the door and tried to open it, only to find it somehow locked.

"Aunt Celestia help! I don't wanna die!"

"You're not gonna die silly." A cheerful voice laughed from the pitch black.

"Get away! You....You horrid monster! Twilight screamed at it.

The face appeared in the dim light. The bright blue eyes shined with bliss like no other. The face guffawed before blowing Twilight's flame out. Making the new Bearer of Magic even more desperate to escape.

"Leave me be!"

"Hehehe! Never!"

In the blackness, Twilight felt the figure suddenly hug her tightly, lifting her off her feet and into the air. Despite the hug being tight and suffocating, it was kind and sweet. Nevertheless, Twilight screamed in terror.

"Help! I'm being attacked!"

"Shush, no more crying. Just hugs." The monster giggled.

"What are you? What do you want with me?"

The monster snorted in its excitement. "I want you to smile silly!"

"Smile? What...."

"C'mon, I know you can do it. Show me that grin, friend!"

"Friend? I'm not you're friend."

"Yes you are." The monster said rather decisively.

"I don't even know you...."

"I know you. How ya doin' Twilight? I have never met you before and I was like "oh no!" and so I made this surprise party for you because I knew you would come here but I didn't know it would be this late so I forgot to light the torches and that's why it's so dark in here and then the others left because they didn't think you'll come, but I did and so I prepared for it and now you're here and I'm here and we all are here hehehe! It's gonna be great!"

"Wait...It sounds like there are others." Twilight asked hesitantly.

"Yup! Wanna see them?"

The lights in the library suddenly went up in flames, showing off the room. It was a library no doubt as the shelves were lined with books, and the same pink-haired woman. Twilight glanced down to see that it was the woman that gasped and ran off who was holding her in a tight hug. But that was just one of her as there were nigh on thirty of the same woman there, all waving, smiling, and being generally merry.

"Hi! I'm Pinkie Pie and I threw this party just for you!" The woman holding her squealed in delight.

"Uh huh.....I'm scared...." Twilight uttered.

"C'mon dupees!" Pinkie called to the other Pinkies. "Let's party!"


"She can duplicate....seriously?"

"Yes. They are all crazy."

Sunset nodded in vague understanding. Twilight nervously stood there in front of her in her Assassin robes, her face much less fierce than what the robes suggest. Sunset rubbed her chin and leaned on her large desk. The sounds of the Palace creaked down the hall.

"So how does it feel, being an Assassin?" Sunset asked.

"Odd. I read their history. From what Celestia and Luna have told us, what these Assassins believe in is false. They really think that some scholar named Starswirl made the Elements to fight the Templar. Who are the Templar? I think they were formed by Sombra, yes the very one who wrote "The Gateway." At least we are familiar with him. They have been at war with them almost 200 years. So much death in this land has been the fault of both sides."

"This is good." Sunset said absently.

"What? How is it good?"

"It means that you can do something now. C'mon princess, you're a leader of a grand secret organization, you can help this. Maybe lessen the amount of deaths."

Twilight crossed her arms. "I doubt that. These Templar seem pretty mean. It may not work. Both sides need to conceded for that to happen."

Sunset grinned. "Leave that to me. I'll make myself a leader of the Templar. Don't worry, with my powers, they can't stand a chance against me. Be like Empress Luna, make them Fear you. I can do that."

"But we don't know all that's going on with these two. It could be much more than we..."

"Ha! This is what Celestia would want us to do. Trust me, we'll make a difference. Isn't that what matters?"

"I guess you're right. We'll keep in touch?"

"Of course."

"Of course."

~

Author's Note:

Something I wanted to whip up in honor of Season 5.

-Cheers for That!

PreviousChapters Next