• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 4,405 Views, 658 Comments

Harmony's Creed - Gapeagle



I am Den Master Octavia Melody. I write these words so that the future generations may remember our endeavors.

  • ...
15
 658
 4,405

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 4: A Leader's Story

Chapter 4: A Leader's Story

By Octavia Melody


I quickly carried the injured Bearer to the back of the Den. I placed her on the physician's table in the back of the Den. The Den's physician, a tall man with dark brown hair and blue eyes, readied his tools. Rarity uttered a pathetic moan as the physician began to operate on he wound.

"The Bearer will pull through," He said with a strong accent, "Though she will be unable to walk for some time."

I sighed in relief, only to be found in the Bearer of Magic's firm grip on my collar.

"What HAPPENED?!" She screamed in my face. The Bearer's face was a horrid shade of red and I could hear the grinding of her teeth.

"Answer me! Answer me, Den Master!" She continued.

"We were attacked by Spitfire the Wonderbolt." I squeaked.

"I told you to support Rarity! How?! How did you let this happen? You let MY FRIEND get hurt!" She shoved me into the wall.

By this time the whole Den surrounded us. Many eyes peeked past the door to the room. The physician continued his work without any care for the commotion.

"It was one versus two. I don't care if she was a former Assassin. You should have beaten her without a scratch. Just..." Her voice began to quiet down, "......get out of my sight"

I did not hesitate and left the room, pushing Assassins out of my path. I made my way to my quarters. I slowly sat down in my small chair by the desk. I cannot say that I was surprised by Twilight's reaction. The Bearer's of Harmony have always been known for their tight camaraderie. These girls had never met and weren't even in the Brotherhood before the Elements chose them, but now one would think they were life-time friends.

I casually searched the room with my eyes. I saw my old cello sitting in the corner. Ah yes, the instrument I played during all of the noblemen banquets. I walked over to the cello. I gently dusted it off and grabbed the bow leaning next to it. I needed to clear my mind and I knew this was the best way. I sat back on my chair on slid the bow across the strings. It was a familiar feeling. One I had not felt for years. The melody emitted from the cello was off; it certainly needed some tuning. I played the notes of songs I had memorized long ago. The morning sun illuminating my room.

I feel that this should be the time where I discuss the adversary the Bearer and I faced in the alleyway. Spitfire is a former Assassin from the Northern Cloudsdale Den. She and her two partners, Soarin and Fleetfoot formed the self-named "Wonderbolts" squadron. They were deadly in that fog town to say the least. They made their own tradition to use the weapon of their first kill as an Assassin. Spitfire's first kill was an Arabian Templar sent to Equestria to promote the sale of oil in the Empire. She has used the Templar's ancient scimitar since. Six years ago, though it feels longer, the Wonderbolts left their Den. In the following weeks, the Den was sacked by the Templar. We instantly suspected treason. We were right. The Wonderbolts switched sides. No one knows the reason. Spitfire always make it seem that it was some money issue. I however do not. I think they have a fear of losing. At that time the Templar had the upper hand in the extinguishing of Assassin influence in Cloudsdale. If we Assassins gain the upper hand in the next few months, I'm sure they will be begging to come back. Though, we will surely not allow it. Not with the Bearer of Loyalty in our ranks.

As I continued to play my song, someone knocked on the door.

"Come in." I said instinctively.

The door flew open and Vinyl Scratch entered the room. She was not wearing her usual mask. She leaned on the table beside me.

"Don't mind the Bearer of Magic, Tavi. She can be a grump sometimes. Just move past that." She ruffled my hair with her hand.

"Do not worry Vinyl, I already have." I continued playing.

Vinyl thoughtfully stroked her chin. "I think I know how to cheer ya up Tavi. It's almost noon and you haven't even ate! C'mon let's get some food." She grabs my hand and lurches me from my position with surprising ease. My cello falls to the floor. She proceeded to lead me downstairs to the Den's cafeteria, or rather, lounge.

The lounge is the largest room in the Den, even larger than the Bearer quarters. The colorful room was spotted with Assassins relaxing and socializing. Imported Arabian incense burned in the corners. I detested the smell, but I seem to be alone in that viewpoint. The inventor dragged me to side kitchen where the Den's cook was at work. The cook was a thick woman with blue and pink curly hair. The always present scowl was on her lumpy face.

"Hey Bonnie Bon Bon! How bout some grub?" Vinyl eagerly requested.

The cook coldly glared at the noisy intruder. She then reluctantly handed us two bowls of thick warm soup. I did not know what it exactly contained, but it was appetizing at least.

Vinyl smiled back at her. "Thank ye kindly!"

"Pfft. Whatever," the cook responded.

The ever-cheerful inventor and I ensconced ourselves at a short table. The table was already occupied by the Den's Chief Engineer, Lyra Heartstrings. Lyra looked at us nervously with golden eyes. The pupils seemed barely visible. Her mint colored hair is uncombed and wild. Her right hand shook uncontrollably.

"Ho-how are you guys?" She stammered.

"Just peachy Lye." Vinyl answered.

Most would think Lyra as "unsociable" and "nervous" but in reality she simply has a speech impediment. The engineer is quite talkative, especially if it is on the subject of weapons and destruction.

I did not converse with the two friends. I preferred to listen to their insane talk.

"What have ya been working on lately Lye?" The inventor asked with a mouth full of food.

The engineer beamed, "I-I have been working on a ne-new addition to the hid-den blade! I have designed it to now s-shoot darts wi-with poison. such a device will grea-greatly help our stealth since unlike you-your pistols, the d-darts are silent. Though th-the poison can become expensi-sive. I need a way to-to develop a poison both ch-cheap and effective."

"How 'bout we just place arsenic in water and store them in the darts?" Vinyl suggested.

Lyra pondered this, "Then we may have to us-use multiple darts. But in tr-truth, I am not com-completely sure about it."

I finished my soup and placed my arm on the table. Vinyl noticed this.

"Tavi, what do you think we should do?"

I deadpanned at her, "Why don't you solve the problem without an unimaginative musician."

"Brilliant Tavi! Why hadn't I thought of that?" The inventor said in mock disbelief.

I rolled my eyes. Lyra raised an eyebrow at me. She was not really looking at me, her mind was elsewhere, as she was resting her head in her hand.

"I'm going to go check on the Bearer of Generosity." I told them.

"I guess I'll go out for a run."

"That's probably reasonable Vinyl."

We left the lounge and headed upstairs. Lyra sat completely still as we left, her eyebrow still raised. I did not know if she acknowledged our absence.

I entered the physician's room. Rarity still laid unconscious on the flat table. The physician was not operating on the Bearer. He was leaning on the wall beside Twilight. The Bearer of Magic looked up at me. She did not say anything, so I thought I would end the painful silence in the room.

"Well, Bearer what is the plan?"

She crossed her arms. "Rarity will not be able to walk since she is paralyzed from the waist down. The Templar's blade reached her spine. We will have to wait for the Bearer of Kindness to get here. Only her healing powers will allow Rarity to recover."

Hmm. The Bearer of Kindness was coming all the way to Canterlot? She was currently stationed with the Bearer of Loyalty in Manehatten. It was a setback for her to come this far west. Who knew that knocking one Assassin out temporally would have such an impact. This was probably another reason why The Bearer of Magic yelled at me so. She knew the circumstance better than I.

Twilight walked over to me and placed her hand on my shoulder.

"You did well in bringing her back, Den Master, but never let it happen again. You are the Master of this Den, I appointed you here because I trust you, better than any other Assassin in Canterlot." She said.

This response astounded me, though I did well not to show it. I balled my right hand into a fist, pressed it to my chest, and bowed. The Bearer lifted her hand off my shoulder. A slight smile was on her face.

"Come on, Den Master. Let's take a walk."


The city was bustling during the early afternoon. Merchants advertised their wares from various stands and homes. An artist was expertly painting the Canterlot view. Women in bright dresses giggled and chatted with each other. A pack of mercenaries reveled outside of an inn. Drinking their hearts out. A group of gamblers were playing some dice game on a street corner. Workers were heaving boxes and crates from location to location. Children chased each other. A few Royal Guards were making routine patrols. The massive towers shadowed the streets from the sun. The Great Royal Palace was visible to the north.

The Bearer and I shuffled through the crowds, keeping our heads low. Few of the citizens noticed us. Those that do usually remarked about our odd appearance and carry on. We cared not for their rude opinions.

"Have you heard of the Tale of the Three Lords?" Twilight calmly asked.

"No Bearer, I have not." I replied.

"Well, the tale goes like this: Once there was a king. A king that ruled the entire world. However, he was dying. He needed an heir. He summoned his three lords. One of them was to be the heir. The first lord was Discord, a man bent on chaos, the next was Chrysalis, a woman that harbored love, the last was Tirek, a man obsessed with order. The king asked his children how they were going to rule the world. Discord replied with anarchy, everyone rules themselves to see fit. Chrysalis replied that her government will spread love and everything shall be loved. Tirek replied with a strict government that shall only be controlled by one. The king pondered these answers. All seemed to be able to work. But he needed to be sure. He gave his throne to Discord. Discord filled the land with chaos like he said. His subjects turned on each other and the kingdom fell apart. The king then gave his throne to Chrysalis. The woman spread love and loved all equally. The subjects started looking past love. It was just a means to take from the government. The subjects tore down the government by taking all of their possessions. The subjects justified it as their right. The king then gave his throne to Tirek. Tirek ruled with an iron fist. He made all the decisions and made the people obey his every command. This did not last. His subjects rioted. They stormed his castle and overthrew him. All three lords crawl back to the king. The king told them to rule together. As one. There will be individual freedom, a loving government and laws that cannot be broken. With this balance, the lords reign. Chaos was where chaos was needed. Love was always present. Laws were enforced when they were broken. Long after the king's death, the three lords named this type of government after him. They named it Harmony."

"Who wrote this tale?" I asked after a short silence.

She looks at me and smiled, "The Great Starswirl himself."

"Bearer, why are you telling me this tale?"

"So that one more Den Master knows our purpose."

"Is our purpose to rule the world?"

She stopped and stared at me. "I personally do not care if the Templar capture every country out there. As long as the Equestrian Empire remains free, Harmony will last. Our Creed will last. That is what I care about. That is my purpose."

"Come along," She continued, "It's been a long day for you and you require rest."

We headed back to the South Den. The sun was almost to the horizon in the west. The day had been long indeed.

I entered my room. The cello was on the floor. Vinyl needed to be more careful when I am playing my music. I set it in the corner like it was before. I sat in my chair. I grabbed my quill and dipped it in ink. This is where I must end this entry. The sun is down and my legs ache. I have not slept in two days. I need my rest like the Bearer of Magic stated.

Until my next opportunity to write, I say, goodnight.

~

Author's Note:

Hey guys! Not much action in this chapter. Don't worry, you'll get your share.

Like I said before, thanks for the feedback. It makes me happy!

-Cheers for That!

PreviousChapters Next