• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 4,405 Views, 658 Comments

Harmony's Creed - Gapeagle



I am Den Master Octavia Melody. I write these words so that the future generations may remember our endeavors.

  • ...
15
 658
 4,405

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 29: Calm Before the Storm

Yearling opened her eyes. The world around her was blurry and swirling. She felt like she had just fallen down a flight of stairs. A figure leaned over her. She knew it was Caballeron, but she could not see his face. Yearling tried to sit up, but the dizziness prevented her from doing so. Caballeron dropped his tablet and put his hands on her.

"Miss Yearling......Miss Yearling?"

Upon her incoherent mutterings, he picked her up and walked over to the couch. She sighed mentally as she felt the cushions beneath her. The world was still blurry. Caballeron retrieved his tablet and began writing notes on it. Probably writing down the Animus symptoms that Yearling was displaying. Once he was done, he sat on the table beside the couch. The dizziness was wearing off. Yearling slowly pulled herself upright.

"Uh...Doc, what happened?"

"Miss Yearling, you were in the Animus for over 13 hours. It was far too long for one exposure, especially since you haven't eaten."

At the mention of food, her stomach growled. Caballeron took notice. Yearling could see clearly now. She was glad that the effects did not last long. Though she still had a headache in its place. The doctor stood up and patted her on the shoulder.

"I'll get you something to eat. You should rest."

With that, he walked out of the room. Yearling turned to look out the window. It was night. The neon lights that covered Manehatten shown brightly, making the city in an artificial daylight. Yearling rubbed her face. Her head hurt, her body ached, and she needed rest. Doctor's orders. When she removed her hand, Loyalty was standing next to the couch. Yearling threw head back and sighed.

Loyalty grunted. "Nice to see you too."

"It's late, go away."

"Pfft, it's only midnight. Besides, ya sail through the whole night on the seas. It's never late."

"That's for you. I am more delicate."

"Oh! Yearling, how you doin'? Ooo...You don't look so good."

Laughter had just ghosted through the wall and joined Loyalty in annoying Yearling. The historian grunted and stuck her face in the cushions. It had been a long day. She prayed for sleep, for rest, for food. Yes, where was Caballeron to scare them off? Her nerves froze when Laughter placed a hand on her back. The coldness took her breath away.

"Oh, no need to be so grumpy. We still have a lot to do."

"I'm done working for now!" Yearling said through gritted teeth.

Laughter giggled. "If ya have fun with what you do, you never work."

Loyalty rolled her eyes. "Ya have to get back in the Animus. We need you to see."

"Rainbow...I mean Loyalty, I can't be in the Animus all the time. I'll die! Let me take a break."

Loyalty slapped her face. "Ugh. The world doesn't take breaks. We're counting on you!"

Laughter rolled her eyes. "Don't worry about Loyalty. She's just like speeding through everything. Oh, that reminds me, next Animus trip should be through my memory."

Yearling gave the Bearer a perplexed look. "Your memory?"

"Righty O! Octavia and Fluttershy visited me right before the Battle of Ponyville happened."

"The Battle of Ponyville? That..."

Yearling stopped as Caballeron's humming could be heard outside the room. The two Bearers instantly disappeared. The historian sat upright and tried to appear that nothing had taken place since the doctor's absence. The door opened and the man entered holding a plate of pasta. Yearling had expected a simple cheese sandwich or something of the like, so this surprised her. As the doctor approached, she noticed something about the pasta.

"Lean Cuisine?" She asked.

The doctor rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah, it was the only thing I could find."

"It's fine. Thanks Doc."

Yearling picked up the plate and began to eat. Caballeron sat on the couch next to her. She had forgotten that he had been working just as much as her, watching, analyzing, and making sure she was alright. Now that she was thinking about, he had to care for her a lot. Yearling thoughts shifted as she noticed the notes on his tablet. He had been recording what they had seen through the Animus.

"So Doc, did that intrigue you?"

"Heh, yes it did, Miss Yearling. Never thought I would enjoy watching a fight like that. However, watching memories is far heavier than watching a movie."

"Yeah, it is different when ya realize this actually happened. Those men died brutal deaths. Eck."

"But we should not think of such things. That is in the past. But I will say that Twilight interests me. We have no historical files about her being royalty. Yet we know it's true since Empress Luna said so."

"Kinda odd isn't it?" Yearling agreed.

"Maybe we shall know in the next trip? We'll track Bearer Twilight some more.

"Naw. We should follow Octavia. I know where too. Next trip will be with Bearer Pinkie."

The doctor stood up. "Hmph. I don't see what's so important about Octavia. But, whatever. We shall resume in the morning. Gets some rest."

"Will do. G'night."

"Goodnight."

Yearling finished her meal as she watched the doctor leave. Her eyelids started to become heavy. The food had made her even more sleepy than what she already was. She sprawled herself on the couch and closed her eyes. The images of the old Assassins swirled in her mind.


"Thanks Pinkie!" Three girls cheered in unison.

Pinkie waved at them. "Aw, no need to thank me. Just here to help."

The girls ran off. The entire village was up and running, moving supplies there, barricading that wall, testing the ballistae and cannons. Everyone was preparing for war. The village of Ponyville had been told by a messenger that the Crystal Republic was heading their way. Ever since, the Assassins were doing everything they could to ready the town. Pinkie merrily skipped along as she supervised the people. An Assassin ran up to her and bowed.

"Bea...I mean Pinkie, the Bearer of Kindness and Den Master Octavia have arrived."

"Oh goody! I'll go greet them. You make sure that the Disciples are in a safe place? Alrighty?"

The Assassin bowed. "Yes, Pinkie. Right away."

Pinkie rolled her eyes at the Assassin's formality. She didn't like how her Brothers would treat her like she was above them. She was a Bearer and all, but deep down, she was still Pinkie Pie the baker and rock farmer. She kept these thoughts as she made her way to the Ponyville gate. Fluttershy was here. Pinkie had not seen her friend since she fled from Cloudsdale, which was a while ago. Ever since, Fluttershy had been serving in Canterlot or east of the capital. Now, she was finally back. Pinkie giggled with excitement and quickened her step.

She jumped over an Assassin rolling a large powder keg through the dirt. The Assassin did not appear to notice since he was used to the Bearer's antics. The clopping of horses could be heard down the road. Pinkie stopped suddenly to avoid an Assassin carrying several muskets. One of the firearms fell out the young Assassin's grasp. He cursed and tried to pick it up while still holding the other weapons. Pinkie picked up the gun and handed it to him. He smiled and thanked her before heading to his destination. Pinkie beamed at his smile. Though the time was becoming grave, she still encouraged such things among the Brothers. The sounds of the horses approached. She had to ready herself.

"Where to hide?" She asked herself.

"Uhh...How about behind the bush?"

Pinkie shook her head. "Naw, she always expects the bushes."

"Then the well."

"Brilliant! Oh, me, you're so brilliant."

"I try my best. I think."

Pinkie ran over to the well and swung herself over. If she was going to do this, she'll do it right. The horses' hooves approached. Pinkie held herself in a position to strike. Her friends never saw her coming. And they won't now. Here she comes, Pinkie thought. As she waited, Fluttershy's voice could be heard.

"Oh yes Octavia. But I must say, Bulk is a re..."

"Here's Pinkie!"

The Bearer of Laughter sprung from the well and tackled Fluttershy right off the horse she was riding. The two Bearers rolled in the dirt for several rotations until finally halting. A long sigh could be heard from the Den Master. Pinkie hugged the Bearer of Kindness tightly. Fluttershy gasped her air.

"Oh, Pinkie....You startled me." She said in a meek voice.

"I missed you so much! C'mon Flutters, I'll give you "Welcome-Back-to-Ponyville-While-a-Battle-Rages-on-the-Front-Porch" Party! It'll be fun!"

Fluttershy hesitated. "Uh...I don't think that's a good idea..."

"Be..I mean Pinkie, we should continue preparations."

At the sound of the voice, Pinkie turned to see Octavia standing next to her. The Den Master was not wearing the same robes as her previous visit. She had a black mask with purple lenses. Her hood possessed a black Assassin insignia with many extravagant curves. Her collar was longer and pointed in Canterlot fashion. This reminded Pinkie of Rarity. Her left arm was completely armored with several steel plates that overlapped each other, but still giving her flexible movement. A small, black, one-shouldered cape hung from her left right shoulder. Her fists and wrists had thin steel gauntlets. Even her chest and right shoulder were armored. Her hidden blades were longer and their blades were well adorned. Under both blades appeared to be some sort of small pistol. A sheathed falchion was on her hip. The Den Master's gray robes were much more complex than her previous ones, having elegant designs running through the silk. Red sashes were tied around her waist. Several leather belts and pouches were tied around her in various places. Finally, the Bearer looked down at her steel boots.

"Wow Octy! You look fantastic! Like a true Den Master."

Octavia nodded. "Thanks. Lyra made it for me. Rarity had some fun with it."

"I can tell."

Pinkie got up and lifted Fluttershy to her feet. The Bearer of Kindness dusted herself off. Octavia approached both Bearers. Pinkie could not see her face, but she could tell something was wrong, and it did not involve the Crystal Republic. The Den Master looked down and ran her foot through the dirt. Finally she gained enough confidence to speak.

"Pinkie, I would like to speak with you in private. May we?"

"Uhh...Sure! We can talk in Sugar Cube Corner. C'mon! This way!"

The Bearer started to bounce her way to the baker's shop. Pinkie expected metal footsteps to follow her, but the Den Master's feet were quite muffled. She looked over her shoulder to make sure if Octavia was following, which she was. Actually, as the Bearer watched Octavia, she noticed her gait was firm and slightly intimidating. It seemed that the Den Master wanted to look angry. Pinkie mentally shrugged it off. It could have been the new robes making her do that.

"I think you should be more alert with her."

The Bearer of Laughter and Octavia reached Sugar Cube Corner. The shop, like many others in the village, was quite colorful. The building was mainly made up of blues and light pinks. Octavia stopped and inspected the shop. It appeared that she was startled by its odd style. However, she could not look at it for too long as Pinkie grabbed her wrist and dragged her inside.

The inside was just as wild. The tables and even the floor were blue. The shop was empty as the residents had already taken refuge from the oncoming siege. Pinkie joyfully jumped over a table and sat in a chair backwards. She quickly turned the chair so that she faced the table and rested on arms on the chair's back support. Octavia calmly took a seat. She looked at the Bearer before removing her mask. The Den Master placed the mask on the table with such gentleness that one would believe it was a sacred totem.

Pinkie cocked her head. "Soo....What's ya wanna talk about?"

"I do not know how to start this conversation because I know it will soon go downhill."

"Oh, it can't be that bad..."

"Fine. It's about Harmony. It's what you said the last time I was here."

"What's wrong with that?"

"It's not that, it's you and your Bearers. It's the Elements and their secrets. It's that Tree that you seem to despise."

"Oh....So THAT's what ya meant." Pinkie started to rub the back of her neck.

"Tell me what I want to know. You Bearers talk so highly of Harmony, yet you don't even follow your Elements to a T."

"I don't see what you're talking about. I'm Laughter and I keep people joyful, Fluttershy is Kindness and she heals the hurt. Applejack is Honesty and she is reliable and truthful."

Octavia jabbed a knife in the table. "Secrets aren't truthful damn it!"

Pinkie didn't notice the violent backlash. "A secret is something that is kept hidden purposely, I think you mean that we simply haven't told you everything."

"It's the same. You haven't told anyone. Starswirl, the Tree, the Elements' true purpose. You've told lies instead."

Pinkie shrugged. "And? Your point, Octy?"

"My point is that you Bearers are not what you say. I would think Harmony to not be willing to create an organization bent on killing. When I hear Laughter, Kindness, Generosity, I don't imagine you and the Brotherhood."

Pinkie leaned in. "Then that's your opinion. I don't kill. The Brotherhood only kills those they deem necessary to die. Assassins don't kill innocents; it's one of our tenets."

"You don't kill, but I saw Fluttershy kill. She took the lives away from Royal Guards, not even Templar. That is not Kindness, not by your description. Something doesn't add up."

Pinkie looked away. "Starswirl was an interesting fellow. Never met him myself, but he had some ideas. Like mirrors, he was crazy about mirrors. You know..."

"Get to the point."

Pinkie looked at the floor. "Starswirl showed the Elements true humanity. Humanity did not possess Harmony. The Elements could not stay in the Tree. If they did, they could not intervene with the life above. So Starswirl took them. He told the Elements that humans hated change. They disliked like a plague. So the Elements needed ways of establishing Harmony that were beyond their understandings. They needed a way to bring about Harmony slowly and carefully. The Templar delay this. This is why we hate them. They despise Harmony and only seek Order. They are no better than agents of Chaos. So the other Elements have decided that death is the only option."

"So that's it? You Elements took the word of Starswirl? He must have been a madman."

"No. But like I said, I never met him."

Octavia sat back in her chair. "Then how do you know this?"

"Memories. The Elements keep the memories of all their respective Bearers. It's a way to accumulate knowledge and skill. Bearers don't need training as they get it all from the past."

"So are you Elements corrupted with what Starswirl has told you?"

"What? Naw. We just are trying to help humanity. They were right outside of the Tree's door. Starswirl basically cried for help. We simply answered his plea."

Octavia stood up. "Where is this Tree?"

Pinkie pointed at the back of the shop. "I think there is still some pastries in the pantry. Want some?"

The Den Master shook her head. "No different than the rest."

Pinkie was uncertain about this response. "So did I answer your questions?"

"Yeah, except the one I came here for."

"I thought you came here for Ponyville?"

"Heh, I would not do such a thing for that. Nor am I here for the Assassins. I am here to find a trail to Spitfire. She left Canterlot the day of my hanging. She'll be here and if not, I'll find out where."

Octavia picked up the mask and slid it over her face. The black mask stared at the Bearer. Pinkie returned the stare. The Den Master's mask made her look inhuman, having no emotion and complete apathy. Finally, Octavia turned and walked out of the shop, leaving Pinkie alone. The Bearer noticed that she did not take her knife out of the table. Pinkie wondered if that was done on purpose.

"That's not the same Octavia as before."

"Naw, she's the same. She's always asked questions."

"Too many. She'll find out the Truth of this world, like Rainbow did before she was a Bearer. Octavia won't like it."

"Then We'll have to be careful."

"Hehe, indeed. Unlike Rainbow, Octavia won't be strong enough to resist such temptations."

Pinkie sighed. She did not enjoy telling the Den Master about the Element's past. It wasn't fun. She looked around the shop. Its emptiness made the place slightly ominous. She wished that the Cakes were still here, baking some fresh pies or cupcakes. But no, the war had reached their sanctuary. The war had driven the villagers to hide out in the wildness. They had to drive the Republicans away quickly. The terrors of the Everfree could hunt the refugees. Pinkie stood up and followed the Den Master.

The village was quiet. This made Pinkie uneasy as she wandered the empty roads. She searched around for any living soul. They're here, she realized. She sprinted towards the walls. The Crystal Republic was here. She passed Town Hall and continued north. Suddenly, a cannonball struck the ground next to her; the blast threw her in the air. The Bearer rolled upon impact with the hard ground.

"Hey! That wasn't nice!" She shrieked.

"Pinkie, are you alright?"

She looked to see Octavia running from behind a building. She offered the Bearer a hand. Pinkie accepted. Another cannonball tore through a house next to them.

Pinkie knotted her eyebrows. "Ugh! This is making me angry!"

Octavia chuckled. "Aw, the Bearer of Laughter isn't happy? How usual it is for you to be the opposite of your Element."

"Oh, quit it!"

A cannonball whizzed by them and destroyed a large fountain. Pinkie glared at Octavia. The harm to the village was greatly upsetting her. The Den Master's mockery was even more upsetting.

"You think you're so in the right about all of this, don't ya Octy?"

The Den Master crossed her arms. "I've never been in the right since joining the Brotherhood."

"If you hate it so much, why join? Oh yeah, it was because of Vinyl! I remember her. I remember everything about people and what they wear and what they do."

"How do you know my reason for joining? I never saw you until two months ago!"

"What? Ya don't think that Twi told me about you? She was inspired because of you and your Friendship with Vinyl. She wanted all the Bearers to know it too. And here you come and slap us all in the face. Truly grateful."

Another cannonball smashed the ground beside them. They didn't even notice the explosion. Octavia began pacing back and forth.

"Twilight is nothing but a liar and a bitch! She's used me for her own gains. And she forgot my request! She forgot to find Vinyl's body! I will never repay her in any way!"

"Octy, that's one of the Bearers. Twilight is not perfect, no one is. But what are you doing? Do you think by hurting us you achieve anything huh?"

"I'm not hurting you! All I've done is asked questions. I want to know the truth behind this Brotherhood. Behind those Elements. The same ones that embedded themselves in Bearers' chests and take over their minds. And because of that, you Bearers aren't even human."

"I am too human! Having the shard in place of my heart does not take away my individuality, or my feelings, or my thoughts."

A cannonball struck the Town Hall. The gazebo-like structure collapsed under the force. The Bearer and the Den Master were interrupted in their argument by this. They stared at each other in mutual fright. The realization that they were being bombarded had taken hold in their minds. They then sprinted towards the walls. Assassins lined themselves on the Ponyville walls, ready to defend their home. Pinkie scaled the wall and looked out over the northern valleys.

The green valley was covered in purple. As she inspected the Crystal soldiers, she noticed that their army was not vast. There were at most, 300 men. Not a force meant to siege a town. Their purple crystal armor reflected the sun back at the Assassins. The Republicans stood in formation, not moving an inch in any direction. A Crystal officer marched up to the walls alone. His armor was red and the crystals on his shoulders stuck out in odd angles. He finally halted before the Ponyville wall. He lifted his arms at the Assassins and addressed them in a booming voice.

"Assassins, we come at last! What you have just tasted was the future of warfare! It was no mere cannon. This is a day that shall go in history, the day when man ceased to use men and instead used machines! Courtesy of the Templar Order, we give you, the Stormbringer Tank!"

Pinkie instantly knew that something was wrong. The Republicans knew of the war, they had Templar technology. The officer spoke Equestrian and not the native Crystal language. He didn't look Republican or even sound like one. These were not Crystal soldiers. They were all Templar in disguise.

The sound of something heavy and rolling was heard in the distance. The Assassins could see a large turtle-like object moving across the land. The moving object was mainly made out of wood and steel plates, with many holes along its circular base. The holes had cannons sticking out through them. This was the tank. One could easily tell that it mobile artillery and armored too. Some of the Assassins faltered as the machine approached. Pinkie gulped.

"Oh horseapples...."

~

Author's Note:

Another chapter! Gettin' a little harder to write as I make this story up as I go along.

Should Octavia wear Vinyl's mask? If you were in Octavia's position, would you wear the mask or keep it safe at the South Den?
Is Octavia going about this the right way? Is she being too mean to Bearers that haven't done anything to her, or should they all be treated the same since they are all a part of the secrets?
What is the Element of Laughter talking about? What is the Truth?
The Crystal Republic fakes are attacking, how will this end for Ponyville?
Am I putting too many questions?

-Cheers for That! (?)

PreviousChapters Next