• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 4,404 Views, 658 Comments

Harmony's Creed - Gapeagle



I am Den Master Octavia Melody. I write these words so that the future generations may remember our endeavors.

  • ...
15
 658
 4,404

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 13: Contrivances

Chapter 13: Contrivances

By Octavia Melody

It was mid-afternoon. The sun still shined down on us heavily in a cloudless sky. Vinyl and I sat outside of the new hideout: the town hall. I thought such a place would be too conspicuous, but the others assured me that the Templar recently searched the building, and did not like searching in the same place twice. Vinyl was humming a tune as she tried to repair my jammed hidden blade. I still felt the numbness in my wrists from the rope. I was tied for a while since the Assassins found my predicament humorous and did not assist me until I started kicking them. I believed they had too much pleasure in seeing a Den Master be so pathetic.

Vinyl grunted in frustration and threw my blade to the ground. She leaned back and blew her blue hair out of her eyes. "It's broken Tavi. Your fall did more damage than I thought."

"There is nothing you can do?" I hesitantly asked.

"Nope. It's a piece of junk. Now if I had Lyra's tools, maybe I could fix it. But with what I got, naw."

"This is unfortunate."

"Hell yeah it is! Now if ya were better at parkour..."

"Hey! You do not have to make this personal." I interrupted her.

She was about to reply when the sounds of shouting could be heard approaching. We turned to see Braeburn furiously marching towards us. His wild green eyes were focused on me. He stopped right in front of me. A nasty snarl on his face.

"Were you the one that told 'em? Eh?!" He yelled.

"What are you talking about Den Master?" I entreated, waving off his alcoholic breath.

"Oh you know, Canterlotian. You and your friend were absent this morning when we headed out. Then we find out that the Templar bastards already know of our plans since they's was guarding their supplies like gold. Then you two come running from the east!"

"I understand what you are accusing us of. It is simply not true, we were lost. We followed a Templar patrol to their base and we saw General Silverstar. Vinyl shot at him and we ran away from the pursuing soldiers."

"Shot 'em? Well, inventor, did ya get 'em?" His voice was becoming even harsher as he spoke.

"In the shoulder, it was not fatal." Vinyl answered.

"It better not be. No one takes out that bastard except for me." Braeburn pointed to himself.

"So Den Master, do you believe our tale?" I asked.

"No, but I'll let this slide fo' now. Make no mistake Canterlotians, I'll be watching ya." He turned around and walked down the street.

Vinyl was grinding her teeth beside me. I also was in a foul mood after the minor interrogation. Traitors? How dare he believe such an accusation. I was AM the Bearer of Magic's trusted Den Master. Vinyl is my adviser and friend. The prospect of the Appleloosan Assassins believing that we were traitors was simply preposterous. Noteworthy's words flooded my mind. This Den Master was not in his right mind. We would have to watch ourselves as long as we are in this Tartarus pit.

Vinyl snapped me out of my mental speech when she picked up my hidden blade. I had forgotten that my traditional weapon was nonfunctional. The inventor's eyes brightened and I knew she had a plan.

"Remember the blacksmith shop the Templar found? There is a good chance that it has some good tools." She smiled.

"What? Oh, yes Vinyl. I do not see why we shouldn't search there."

"Then let's be off." Vinyl picked up her musket and we headed toward the smithy.


We arrived at the abandoned shop. The patrol had left the door open, so we did not have any trouble entering it. Upon entry, a foul smell reached my nostrils. The place was filthy and in complete disarray. Pieces of iron and steel were scattered on the floor. There did not seem to be anything of value in the shop, but Vinyl was vividly searching the place. She grabbed a peculiar looking tool and smiled.

"This is what I needed!" She exclaimed excitedly.

The inventor began working on the hidden blade. She suddenly paused. I could not tell what was running through her mind. She began grabbing random objects. She was muttering to herself the entire time. She placed her body in front of the blade so that I could not see what she was doing. I however, did see the sharpened blade of the contraption be tossed aside. My mind could not fathom what she was doing on my weapon. The inventor then went to the nearby grindstone and began sharpening the device, though I could not tell which part.

"Vinyl, that is a rather important part of the device." I told her indignantly as I pointed at the blade.

"Shush. I'm helpin' ya."

I bent over and picked up the blade. I feel that it may be still of use. The inventor turned around to show me the new contraption. It was no longer a stabbing device. The knife that was fastened underneath the wrist was replaced by a long and thick metal hook. I stammered before speaking.

"V-Vinyl, how do I stab with that?"

The inventor only sighed in response. She then lodged the tip of the hook deep into a wooden beam. The hook was deep enough in the wood that it supported the whole gadget. She then pointed at it. I understood what she meant and tried to pull the hook free. I had some trouble, but I finally freed the device.

"There you go. That will do fine against flesh. Now, I made this to help you with climbing and parkour. I saw ya missed that jump and slam into the wall earlier today. With this, ya don't need to worry about that."

"How will this hook help?"

"It's an extension of your reach Tavi. You know what, slip it on and try it."

I did as she suggested. I tightened the device's straps around my wrist. The rugged hook was much heavier than the fine blade. I tested the springs. The hook sprang out like the blade, though a tad slower. I walked out of the shop with Vinyl trailing behind me.

"Did you come up with this yourself?" I asked.

"Not entirely. I heard stories of the old Assassins using stuff like that. But they had a blade in there too. I don't know how they did that though."

I looked up at a nearby building. I could have easily climbed the building without the new device. However, there were no tall buildings in the town, so this would have to do. I ran towards the building, gaining momentum to run up the wall. When I reached the wall, I planted my foot ahead of me and propelled myself upward. I then lodged the hook into a crevice in the wall. The hook stuck with astounding ease. I lifted my body up and repeated. Before I knew it, I was on top of the roof. I heard the applauding from Vinyl below.

"Great job Tavi! How about we have a race back?" Vinyl suggested with her usual sly grin.

"Alright! I'll beat you this time!"

She tied her musket on her back. She then took the position of a sprinter, with her hands on the ground and one leg extended behind her. I placed my body in a similar pose. I heard her clear her throat before shouting.

"GO!"

Sprint! I pulled myself up and began running. I could see Vinyl had already a slight advantage on me. My body did not ache from the damages it received earlier, for my thoughts numbed the pain. I jumped from roof to roof. My mind had forgotten about its current location in Equestria. The shoddy buildings soon became elaborate white structures. The sun was blocked by a familiar mountain. The mountain that supported my home, my capital. The streets became crowded with spectators, flabbergasted by my skill. The girls in lovely dresses and the handsome men who tried to win their hands. A familiar tune played in my head as I ran along the Canterlot rooftops.

The towering spires surrounded me. The minstrels and musicians played to any audience they could gather. The shop owners shouted out their wares. Jump! I leaped onto another roof. The sounds of my steps echoed off of the fine stone. I did not know exactly where I was going. However, I did not care. The city was bustling and lively. I could run, walk, or jog as long as I wanted here. The atmosphere simply lifted one's spirits. I was relishing in these thoughts until I saw Vinyl in front of me.

Over that! Under that! Tip toe there. Get ahead of Vinyl! My mind told me to beat Vinyl, but my soul did not acknowledge it right away. My hook latched onto the stone walls, getting stuck in any crevice available. I pulled myself to see Vinyl only a few steps ahead of me. Go! My legs started propelling my body beyond speeds I did not know I could muster. The cool air revived my dry lungs. Vinyl glanced back at me and started to run harder. That did not stop me. I leaped over another yellow rooftop and took the lead.

"Haha! Good one Tavi! I ain't beat yet though!"

Hop! Jump! Slide under that! Go! You're ahead! Vinyl stayed along with me. We sailed over the streets and dodged the odd polls and shop signs. A noble spat out his tea as we flew over his small banquet. The Royal Guards screamed at our intrusion. However, they did not pursue. Over that! Climb that! The Great Royal Palace was in view. The Overton Tower was far to the west. There was nothing wrong with the world as we ran through the grand city. It all seemed to be in a life that I had lived long ago. A life without the Brotherhood or the Templar. A life with my only friend and no other.

I started to extend my lead on Vinyl. The hook was certainly fine at its job. No building seemed to far to jump. I swung myself on beams protruding over the cobblestone streets. The passing air whipped my hood off. I did not mind. This city already knew my face. Over that! Swing on that! Look nice shortcut! I turned and headed down a branching street. The streets began to empty in front of me. The finish line was in sight. The cobblestone was turning into dirt. The stone structures became wooden abodes. The crowds dissolved and the Great Royal Palace disappeared. By the time I reached the town hall, my mind fully returned to the harsh reality I lived in. Why?

"Well, it looks like ya finally beat me Tavi." Vinyl said as she caught up to me.

I did not feel the satisfaction of victory. The barren streets and short buildings whipped away my joy. The evening sun was still as hot as ever. I was still in Appleloosa. I sat down on the hall's porch. Vinyl sensed my mood and joined me on the porch. The faint chatter of Assassins nearby were the only sounds Vinyl and I heard. I looked at my wrist and remembered my new contrivance.

"Thank you dearly for this, Vinyl." I said after a long silence.

"It's nothing. When we get back to Canterlot, I'll be able upgrade it even more." She replied.

"If we get to back to Canterlot." I brooded unhappily.

The inventor glared in annoyance at my depressing response. Vinyl was never one to soothe or comfort, so this was expected. She sighed and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Fine, be that way. But only if you'll get us out of here." She said.

"How?"

"By clearing out the Templar and capturing this place. We only go to Canterlot when our job here is done."

"Then what is the first step?"

"Well, Tavi, remember what loony Braeburn was talkin' about? There is a traitor among us. If we get him, we'll be back in business."

"Noteworthy..."

"Yup, Note is number one suspect. He was with us when the others left the tavern. He also hates Braeburn. It makes sense he would be the traitor."

"Yes, but Vinyl, after the previous days under Twilight's command, I have been, unreliable. I do not believe it is wise for us to go accusing an Assassin for treason when we ourselves share the same accusation."

"You're right. Braeburn's got his eyes on us don't he? He wouldn't like us sneaking around his second-in-command."

"We will have to be cautious. I personally doubt that Noteworthy is the traitor, but he should be our first target. If he is not the traitor, we will simply branch out to other Assassins."

Vinyl glanced at the lowering sun. The temperature was swiftly declining with the celestial body. My body began to fill the pains of fatigue. However, my mind returned to Canterlot. My quarters and my cello, were all in perfect disorganization. The incense-filled lounge was alive with the chatter of the Assassins. Lyra was sketching out some schematics for her new creation. The ill-tempered cook was serving some meals to the hungry warriors. I continued to sit on the porch, daydreaming. Vinyl waved a hand in front of my face to gain my attention. I turned to see her pointing at the night sky. The time was much different than I had left it.

"We should call it a night Tavi." She suggested.

"I believe you are right."

I got up and we started towards the old inn. Even though the Appleloosan Assassins moved to a different location, we wished to keep ours. The inn was not that far away, so we soon arrived at the abandoned structure. I opened the door and allowed Vinyl to enter first. We did not have any conversation as we went to our separate rooms.


Well, the day is over and I anticipate the morning. My homesickness is not gone, but it has been mostly diminished. I am glad that my quill and ink have been restocked. As it has allows me to write these words. I however, must end here. The Brotherhood possess a traitor and Vinyl and I will track him or her down. I am tired of failing the Bearer of Magic. This will be my time to regain her trust and maybe her respect. I will write again when time allows it.

Adieu and goodnight.

~

Author's Note:

Hookblades. There are two parts to them.

The Hook

And the Blade.

Such a Revelation huh?


-Cheers for That!

PreviousChapters Next