• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 4,404 Views, 658 Comments

Harmony's Creed - Gapeagle



I am Den Master Octavia Melody. I write these words so that the future generations may remember our endeavors.

  • ...
15
 658
 4,404

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 2: Commands Delivered

Chapter 2: Commands

By Octavia Melody


I followed my fellow Assassin to the Bearers' quarters. The Bearers rested separately from all the other Assassins, as they are of the highest rank in the Brotherhood. Vinyl opened the door and gestured me to go in. I entered and Vinyl closed the door behind me without coming into the room. By the many candles in the room, I could clearly see the Bearer of Magic leaning over a large wooden table. Her lavender robes contrasting with the room's light blue walls. The table was smothered with maps and other documents. It seemed rather messy for the Bearer's usual standards of organization. I assumed it was due to all the stress of having to run the Brotherhood.

Beside the Bearer sat a young boy. He had green hair and eyes. He wore a very fine purple garment. Just right for his small size. He was holding a quill and large sheet of parchment. This boy was known as Spike. That was just his nickname, as we did not know his real name. There were rumors suggesting that he was a Templar experiment to advance some medicine and the Bearer of Magic rescued him on one of her missions. By the scars on his body and face, it was not a ridiculous tale. The Templar advanced technology in any way possible. They did not care how.

The Bearer of Magic turned to face me. Her cold magenta eyes stared into me. I did not gulp out of fear, but out of respect. None of the Brothers or Sisters feared Twilight, but instead had immense amounts of respect and affection for her. She had been a good leader and mentor. We hoped to prosper under her command.

She turned her head slightly. The movement rustled the pistols that rested in her sashes. I noticed her flowing purple hair escaping the robes' silk hood. Her slight frown was the most notable feature.

"You have arrived, I see," she said almost absentmindedly.

"Yes, Bearer! I have answered your summons." I humbly stated.

"Our scouts have intercepted a Templar courier right next to us in the South District. They recovered this message off his corpse. Take a look, Den Master."

She gently levitated a sheet of parchment into my hands. I still had yet to get used to her abilities. The Element of Magic granted its Bearer power over the arcane arts. Something that none possess except for the Two Sisters. Though we did not know how they possess such power.

I read the parchment. It was a Templar message stating that an prototype "train" was being developed in East District of Canterlot, followed by a short description of the machine. It was a large steam powered engine used to ship supplies across land at high speed.

Twilight looked at me, "I hope you see my concern."

I understood the situation perfectly. If the Templar created such a thing, they could send troops and supplies at any part of Equestria or even get help from other Templar controlled countries like the Gryphon Kingdom. The Brotherhood had halted them from making such efforts before, but with this they could easily out run us. Since our main transportation was by horse.

"So what is your command, Bearer?" I asked.

Twilight leaned back on the table and placed a hand to her sharp chin. "Well, obviously we can't let this "train" be finished. Though, since it is in Canterlot, we cannot storm the facility either. We would not want to rouse the enemy or the Empire in their own capital. I need this to be at most, a two-person mission. The Bearer of Generosity has already volunteered for this mission. You shall go along with her to support her. Be sure to leave no schematics of the train. Do not keep them either since we do not possess the means to build one. Go. The Bearer awaits you on the Den's rooftop."

I swiftly exited the room. I ran back to my quarters to retrieve my twin daggers, my smoke bombs, and my throwing knives. This was certainly a surprising task. I was not usually sent on a mission without a couple days preparation. Twilight must have been extremely keen on dismantling the train prototype. What made it even more odd was that I was operating with Rarity, the Bearer of Generosity. She was a strange woman. She, being a former Canterlotian seamstress that was raised in Ponyville, had high regard for accessories. Her robes were much more ornate than any other Assassin I've seen. Maybe to the point of impractical. But I must hurry anyway. I would not want to be late to a superior.


I effortlessly climbed onto the Den's roof. Being in the South District, the view was spectacular. One could see literally miles of green land to the south. The view of the north was just as notable since all one's eyes perceive are the massive spiraling towers that define Canterlot. My eyes caught a white figure sitting on the edge of the roof. The figure's robes contained several layering collars. The belt was lined with jewels and the boots were of the finest quality. The figure's hood possessed a rather complex Brotherhood symbol on its side. This was certainly Rarity. I walked over to her. She glanced at me with sapphire eyes and a subtle grin. She then beckoned me to sit beside her. I complied.

"Well, it is pleasant to see you, Den Master. Tell me darling, how has your night fared?"

I hesitated due to the calm and cheerful tone in her voice. "Nothing to note, Bearer. Should we proceed with the mission?"

She sighed. "Oh, don't be so formal, dear. I may be a Bearer, but that does not mean I am some military official. We are not so strict like the Empire. Relax. It helps free the muscles."

I tried to obey. I tried to focus on other subjects. In my attempt, I looked up. The night was clear and the moon shined down on us. It was our only source of light. I looked down. The streets were empty except for a few wandering thieves and beggars. Hm. Two kinds of folk who just wished for money, yet obtained it in very different ways. I was contemplating this further when Rarity stood up and stretched.

"Well, we must be going. We would not want the Templar to miss us."

I hopped onto my feet. Rarity was already far ahead of me, running and climbing swiftly on the rooftops. I followed. Grabbing this ledge, surmounting this tower, running across this wire. I felt at home. Ever since I joined the Brotherhood, I quickly took to the art of parkour. Vinyl was the one that taught me how to do it. She was still better at it than I though. I had yet to beat her in a race.

I must admit, Rarity was much better at parkour than I had previously imagined. It seemed like she was floating above the ground. This impression was further increased by the fact that she performed it with such fanciful style. It almost seemed like she was mocking me and my attempts to catch up with her. I doubted that these were her intentions, but one could never tell with the Bearer of Generosity.

The Bearer stopped in her tracks. I expertly avoided running into her by sidestepping to her right. She glanced at me and then pointed to a well-lit building. The building was not one of Canterlot's finest constructions. It looked shabby and haphazardly made. It was surrounded by torches and readied guards. The guards wore the golden armor of the Equestrian Empire's Royal Guard, though some wore the crimson armor of the Templar.

"That is the place." Rarity whispered.

"What is the Empire doing in this Templar facility?" I whispered back.

"Beats me darling, the Empire has worked with the Templar for centuries now. Maybe they are becoming one of the same."

I cringed at the thought. The Templar have been at the helm of the Empire for almost two centuries. Though the Empire has never directly helped the Templar cause. The Two Sisters have ruled long before the Elements were created. The Brotherhood hoped that the Sisters will never become Templar leaders. However, we could not rule out everything.

The Bearer of Generosity clicked her tongue and gestured me to follow. We headed to the back of the facility along the opposite rooftops . The back door was only protected by two Guards in heavy golden armor. This was going to be easy.

We hopped down from the roof. The shadows concealed us from the Guards' eyes. Rarity stood up straight and sauntered towards the guards, making no attempt to be stealthy.

"Stop right there, madame! This is a restricted area!" One of the Guards shouted.

This did not hinder Rarity. She kept up her elegant stride.

"We're warnin' you miss. This is a restricted area." The Guard shouted with slightly less authority.

The Guards lowered their halberds. If shouting didn't work, maybe intimidation will. Rarity walked right between the sharpened points.

"That's no way to treat a lady. Will you gentlemen let me pass?" Rarity gently requested.

"NO!" They shouted back in unison.

Suddenly Rarity plunged forward and stabbed both of the guards in the neck with her hidden blades. The guards desperately reached for their necks as they fell to the ground. I stood in the shadows, still trying to understand what I had just witnessed. I ran over to the Bearer.

"Was that necessary? You almost got us spotted! We could have just killed them from the shadows." I suggested.

Rarity raised an eyebrow. "It is more polite to just ask, Octavia. Since they were Guards of the Empire, they could have said 'yes.'"

My face tightened at this. I was not one to be "polite." I rather have been cold and efficient.

"No, I bet you were just trying to show off your seducing skills!" I said.

Rarity's expression turned from calm to shocked. "The audacity! It is not lady-like to use their own charms against men. This is certainly not the case! Now, we must be going." She then angrily pointed at the door, silently telling me to go first. I entered the building, hoping that the Bearer's methods ended there.

~

Author's Note:

Feedback is welcomed!

Also writing about Rarity is fun :D

-Cheers for That!

PreviousChapters Next