• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 4,404 Views, 658 Comments

Harmony's Creed - Gapeagle



I am Den Master Octavia Melody. I write these words so that the future generations may remember our endeavors.

  • ...
15
 658
 4,404

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 39: Obscurity

Sunset Shimmer was sleeping soundly on her royal sized bed. Her ceaseless snoring, of which had made her notorious in the Palace, echoed through the halls outside of her room. Her arms and head hung over the sides as she slept sideways. Her curly hair covered her face. All this gave her the appearance of being murdered in bed and left at a horrid angle, but the loud noises from her mouth revealed that she was very much alive. Her mind was probably filled with the dreams of Templar conquests and Absolute Order, of making the old dead Shadow King proud. One could see the scene as adorable, but the Assassin watching her had different thoughts.

"Could she be any louder?"

The Assassin tapped her fingers impatiently on the nightstand by the bed. The Templar did not give heed to the sounds beside her and slept on, grunting or nudging every so often. The Assassin sighed and crouched eye level with the student. The infiltrator eyed the sleeping Templar carefully.

"I shouldn't wake her, she looks peaceful." The Assassin whispered aloud.

"Wha...?" Sunset stirred slightly.

"Well, there goes that. Wakey wakey, Sunny!" The Assassin padded her on the head.

"At this hour? Come on..." The Templar moaned.

Sunset lifted herself and sat up in bed. Her eyes were barely opened and her hair was everywhere. From the confused faces she made, the Assassin could tell she had not recognized her yet. The Templar rubbed her eyes and finally uttered an "oh."

"Twilight? Why are you here? Has something happened?" Sunset stretched her arms above her head.

"In a matter of fact, yes. Ponyville was attacked by the Crystal Republic. Is this your doing?" Twilight asked.

Sunset chuckled. "You know it. Did Octavia tell you?"

"No, she did not. It's like you to be so brash. You never thought your plans out did you? The Stormbringer was ruined after the battle." The Bearer shook her head.

"Pfft, of course. I mean....Yeah." The Templar was unsure. "That wasn't the only tank we have..." She muttered under her breath.

Twilight ignored her. "Well, because of that, the Republicans are being ousted by Equestrians! Your little stunt could get both nations to declare war!"

"No need to get loud. "Auntie" Luna could hear you. Also, I knew they would. The Republic is no ally to the Order. Equestria will take care of them for me. Get your enemies to fight each other, you know?"

Twilight groaned and rubbed her face. The pistols on her robes jangled with her movement. "Ugh. What if the Empire loses? What then? You'll be certainly executed by either side. If the Republic wins, they'll kill you for being an Imperial leader. If the Empire wins, you'll die as a traitor. Not good options."

"Please, that is if they would find out who I am. It's not like everyone knows I'm the Templar Grandmaster. I'm too young and far too cute. Don't roll your eyes at me. I've thought this through. Just like you, I make sure everything is in place. There's been some rough patches like Baltimare, but it's mostly going well. Like I said Princess, I've thought this through."

"Oh have you?" A foreign voice ripped through the air behind them.

Sunset and Twilight jumped to see Empress Luna in the doorway. Her stare froze both of them in place. She wore her black night gown, but both knew she never slept at night and thus did not need such clothes of relaxation. She took a couple of steps to them and shut the door behind her. Her glare remained fixed on them.

"So, the Republicans were you doing? Should of known. Because of that my Sister is now hiding away in the Labyrinth Isles. And now, I find a Bearer of Harmony in my Palace. Explain yourself Twilight. I still walk with a limp from the wound you gave me."

Twilight gulped. "I...Uhh...I'm just checking on a friend. That's all. Nothing to worry about."

Luna crossed her arms. "Where is Octavia? You saved her for a purpose."

"Baltimare. She went to Baltimare. I...I didn't tell her to go there." Twilight answered quickly.

Sunset rubbed her chin. "Huh, that's where I sent the Wonderbolts. She's most likely chasing them."

Luna sighed loudly. "Just my luck. The only port in the Empire that goes to the Labyrinth Isles has both Templar and Assassins! You insolent girls! You're going to get my Sister hurt!"

Sunset jumped off her bed. "What? Why would we want that? Her Highness is valuable to both of our causes. We would do nothing like that."

"Summer Sun Celebration." Twilight coughed.

Sunset turned to the Bearer. "Hey! That wasn't me. That was the people. If you Assassins didn't wreck Appleloosa..."

"Shut up! Both of you! You think you're so special; fighting a war like it's a game! Give me a bloody break! That bed alone is older than both of you combined. You think yourselves wise and intelligent, yet you don't even grasp either's meaning. If you were wise, you wouldn't have fought in the first place!" Luna panted with her anger.

The Assassin and the Templar looked to the floor in silence, like disciplined children. Luna looked them both in the eye as much as she could. She wanted to see a Princess corrupted by an Element and a student bent on betraying her teacher, but she saw neither of these.

"Celestia should have never given you any shards. Sigh, I'm sorry." Luna walked over and hugged them both. Twilight and Sunset were taken aback by her sudden warmness. However, they soon hugged her back.

"I'm sorry." Luna continued. "So much has changed. I fondly remember when we were like family. Heh, we were family, in all except blood. It was better before you became a Bearer, and you a Templar. Celestia wasn't afraid of showing you about them, but I was. If I had I my way, you probably both would be so ignorant, but still family and not enemies."

Twilight smiled at the Empress. "You're wrong Auntie. Becoming a Bearer was the best thing for me. I've gain so much knowledge about this world. I became a warrior, a scholar, a leader, all in one. It was painful, but worth it. And no, Sunset and I are not enemies. Not entirely."

The Templar rolled her eyes. "Yeah, yeah, mushy stuff. You can't get mad at me for doing what's right, Your Highness. It was my choice to ascend like this. A New Utopia is on the horizon, and I'll fetch it for humanity. Those pesky Assassins may get in the way, but it wasn't like such a task would be easy. I'll do what Sombra couldn't."

Luna stopped her embrace and glared into Sunset's eyes. "You have no idea who Sombra was. Don't strive to be like him. Never! He had no Utopia in his eyes. Only slavery. I will allow you to seek humanity's perfection, but never think yourself above the people. The same goes for you, Twilight. Your secret organizations have only brought hurt. Yet, Celestia and I cannot condemn you for your actions. We truly want the best for the Empire, and we know we cannot rule forever. Thus, we hope for a competent ruler to take our place one day. Be it Assassin or Templar. It's going to be one of you since you are aware of the Crystal Heart. Do not put that Heart above the lives of others. It will only lead to ruin. Have I made myself clear?"

The two women nodded. Luna patted them on their shoulders dotingly. Her smile was nowhere near as warm as Celestia's, but it was nice nonetheless. Its rareness probably enhanced its friendliness. However, something nagged at the Empress.

"Were there any other Bearers going to Baltimare?" Luna questioned abruptly.

Twilight nodded. "The Bearers of Kindness and Laughter. Why?"

Luna rubbed her chin. "Doesn't it seem odd that the Wonderbolts, Bearers, and my Sister are all in close proximity and none of their reasons are exactly similar?"

"Yeah, it is odd." Sunset agreed.

"Some coincidence huh?" Twilight shrugged.

"Coincidence? No. There are no coincidences. Not in this world." Luna muttered.

"You believe someone is orchestrating this? How could they?" Sunset chuckled.

Luna frowned at her. "Don't laugh. I have my reasons to suspect such a conspiracy. Though, I haven't uttered his name in decades."

Twilight patted the Empress on the shoulder. "Well, whoever he is, don't worry; we'll take care of him. He won't lay a finger on Auntie Celestia, I swear."

Luna huffed unconvincingly. "You may try. However, I must leave you with a final warning. I don't know what you two are up to, but if it involves my Sister, I don't care who touches her, they shall die. I'll do it myself if need be. Have I made myself clear?"

Once again, the women nodded. Luna gave a satisfied "good," and exited the room, leaving Sunset and Twilight alone. Once the door was closed, the Bearer and the Grandmaster sighed in relief. Sunset giggled some before opening the balcony door and walking out in the chilly autumn night. Twilight followed the student. They both rested their arms on the curved railings, the only obstacle between them and the ground a mile below. At such a height, the wind was always present; however, it was a rare warm breeze from the south. This allowed Sunset to last in her red night gown.

"That was a close one, don't you think?" Sunset remarked after the short silence.

"Indeed. If she found out..."

"Well she didn't." Sunset cut in. "Now why are your Bearers in Baltimare? I told you to stay out of there."

"They did so without my choice. It's Octavia's doing according to the Bearer of Honesty. That Den Master has been nothing but trouble since you met her." The Bearer scowled in the distance.

"Heh. Oh Twilight, you know how I love to have fun with your underlings. I gave her a simple question that she couldn't answer. I tried to redeem myself, but you saved her from execution. At least we killed her little friend." Sunset said the last sentence as an afterthought.

Twilight moaned. "I wasn't trying to save her, we were there for Trixie. However, the Bearer of Kindness spared her. I should have never left that to her. If I refused to save Octavia at that moment, the others would have questioned me and my leadership. Heh, they still did after Luna revealed that I am a Princess."

Sunset raised a brow in worry. "Did you say anything?"

Twilight shook her head. "Of course not. But my silence has made a rift between myself and the Bearer of Generosity. I hope to restore that friendship."

Sunset turned to face the Bearer. "And you should. We need all the Bearers for this. We cannot risk the dissolving of the Brotherhood."

With that, the two fell silent again. Their minds worked like well-tuned machines as they leaned on the railing. In their thoughts, the sounds of the Palace around them went unheard. The schemers planned and reworked their actions in their heads. It was their best attribute. However, the student started muttering in her thoughts, interrupting the other's. Twilight grumbled loud enough for Sunset to hear.

"You just can't stay silent, can you?" Twilight questioned.

"What? It's not my fault you have to think in complete silence."

"Fine. See you around." Twilight waved at her friend.

Sunset grabbed her arm. "Leaving already? You've hardly been here."

"Sunset, the Bearer of Generosity may become suspicious with my absence. I must return to my Den. Alright?"

Sunset nodded. "Alright. With the Wonderbolts gone, it's been rather quiet around here. I enjoyed your company."

Twilight smiled. "Well thank you. I enjoyed it too. I'll be around, don't you worry. May the Father of Understanding guide you."

Sunset waved a frustrated hand. "Yeah yeah. May the Father of Understanding guide you."

"And one last thing, you can't blame us for wrecking Appleloosa. You know the reason for it." Twilight poked the Templar.

"Yeah, yeah. Go get your eyes pecked out by an owl." Sunset waved her off.

Twilight ruffled her friend's hair. Sunset giggled and removed the Bearer's hand from her head. Twilight gave one last smile and wave before teleporting out of the area. A puff of purple smoke was all that was left of her. Sunset gagged on the smoke before knowing that she was alone and returned to her bed. She was disappointed in the shortness of her friend's visit.

The Bearer teleported from spire to spire before eventually reaching the front entrance of the Palace. The night had gone well. In truth, she was apprehensive about visiting her friend, but she now casted her fears and doubts away. She even began to whistle as she walked away from the looming spires of the Grand Royal Palace. She felt her chest heat up slightly. A faint glow emitted from beneath her clothes.

"You are surely a bold one. Never have I been with such a Bearer as you."

"Oh really? I guess that favors me."

"Perhaps. You won't win over me though."

"Too late. I already have."

Magic fell silent after her response. The Bearer giggled and continued to carry her whistling tune. She was thinking of other things however. She was thinking of reasons or excuses why she would arrive at the South Den so late an hour. As she walked, she came across a small group of thieves gambling in front of a inn. Twilight halted and watched them. A smirk formed on her lips. A plan formed in her mind.

"Well, I can get some blood on me and say I got in a fight. Rarity will surely believe that."


"Well, well, we should have stuck with Twilight, Yearling. We should have stuck with Twilight. Now you're gone and I have to watch this by myself. Pity. You would have loved it."

~

Author's Note:

Since I noted on my inspiration on Rainbow's fighting skills and ways, I feel that I could do the same for Twilight.

Just watch Talion in Shadow of Mordor, you'll find similarities. Shadow strike in particular.
(Skip to 1:47)

Also, what is your reaction to this chapter. :twilightsmile:

(I couldn't help but feel I left something out of this...)

PreviousChapters Next