• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 4,405 Views, 658 Comments

Harmony's Creed - Gapeagle



I am Den Master Octavia Melody. I write these words so that the future generations may remember our endeavors.

  • ...
15
 658
 4,405

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 20: Canterlotian Etiquette

Chapter 20: Canterlotian Etiquette

By Octavia Melody


"I do not see why we must start so early."

"Well, Octavia, this takes time. I cannot risk letting you not looking your absolute best."

The Bearer of Generosity continued to measure out my limbs. I sighed as I could not enjoy the magnificent Canterlot air as I was trapped in the Bearer's quarters. The morning was barely on its way, but we were already making preparations for Fancy Pants' banquet. The Bearer lifted my left arm and counted the length of it from my shoulder.

"I do not see why my normal robes are not suited for this." I muttered.

The Bearer was shocked. "How can you even suggest such a thing! Your robes are battle-torn and filthy. I won't even mention about how suspicious they look."

"I guess you're right..."

"I AM right darling. The dress I am making for you needs to exceed Fancy Pants' expectations. We must impress him. Something that Assassin robes will not do. Besides, if you don't want to be arrested, you should not wear the clothes you committed the crime in."

"For I'm a mass murderer aren't I?" I said rather harshly.

She paused and looked at me. "Was this from what I said last night? I did not mean it in that way, dear. We are all criminals and thugs to the Empire. For in today's society, doing the right thing is wrong."

"I'm sure the Templar say the same thing."

"No doubt."

I felt like changing the subject. "I have a feeling this man cares more about material than anything."

"Maybe. However, we must pass as noblewomen. The rich wear only the finest clothes. I intend to surpass them."

"Are you treating this as some sort of challenge?" I raised my brow in annoyance.

She tilted my chin with her long hand and inspected my neck. "Why yes. It helps me to work my best."

I was not convinced. "I feel like we are taking this too lightly."

"We are not Octavia. This is a business visit. We are doing this for the Brotherhood. In these dark times, we could use some friends. I need you to not be so gloomy when we are at the party."

"Gloomy? When am I gloomy?"

"More than you know. Just.....Just keep your realist feelings in check. We do not need you to dull the nobles with your depressing views."

"Well then what is the plan, Bearer?"

"I shall inform you later. I have all the measurements I need. I will be back with the cloth and silk to make the dress."

"Are you sure you have enough bitpieces?" I asked her as she headed out.

She turned in the doorway and winked at me. "If I do not, I'll improvise."


Not an hour later and the Bearer returned. I had luckily snuck in a small breakfast and a conversation with Vinyl. She and Lyra had worked throughout the night on their new project. She said it involved a concealable pistol. I was rather interested in this, but my time with her was cut short. Twilight told me to focus on Rarity's plans. So I found myself once again under the custody of the Bearer.

"My dress is going to be pink?" I asked hesitantly.

"Why yes, darling. It will match your eyes. Since you have one of the lighter shades of eyes, I thought I should make them pop out more."

"But I am fond of gray..."

"Such a dull color, Den Master. You should trust me in this, I am the tailor."

"Was a tailor."

"Shouldn't matter."

The Bearer then skillfully sketched the dress's layout. The dress only reached the top of my chest, with two thin shoulder straps and sloping in the back. The sleeves seemed very tight. The long skirt was made up of two parts that were sewn over each other and split in the front, allowing movement. Thankfully, it seemed simple enough, but it was still too elaborate for my taste.

"How can I fight in that?" I asked.

She blinked at me and then frowned. "Octavia that should be the last aspect to worry about."

"It's a simple question."

She sighed. "Darling, this mission is not....We are not going to engage in combat. We are attending a banquet, not assassinating some poor soul."

"Well, we still could end up in a fight."

"That is highly unlikely. If there is a fight brewing, we shall leave it to the Guards. You know, like normal women."

"We are Assassins...."

"I am fully aware of that Den Master! Just.....Leave it to me."

"Can I not make some modifications..."

"NO!"

I was taken aback from the Bearer's reaction. She glared daggers at me with her sapphire eyes. She held this expression for some time. Soon I became less scared and more impatient. I gestured towards the sketch and she silently went back to work.

"You told me that you were going to explain our plans when you got back." I spoke up after some silence.

"Ah yes. The banquet starts at five O' clock. Since it is in the North District, we shall have to leave quite early to make it. Once there we shall socialize with the nobles. We want to appear as friendly and honest to the people as possible. However, Fancy Pants and his wife are our main objective. We shall explain to him about the Brotherhood and how he can help. We must tell him the truth while also keeping him ignorant. Do not tell him anything about Appleloosa or your adventures. We have to be cautious with him. We dare not offend him. Also, Blueblood will be there. I do not intend to make allies out of him yet, but he does know everything there is about the Empire's royals. We should retrieve information from him."

"What if he refuses?"

"Then we shall help him leak information."

"I thought we were simple noblewomen."

"I did not mean like that. I mean the bottle. One thing a man can't refuse is being intoxicated with two beautiful women by his side."

"Oh..."

"You can go for now Den Master, but do not stray. I shall call you when you are needed again. However, be sure to take a bath."

I was slightly surprised by this. I bowed at the Bearer and headed out of the quarters. I stuck my nose into my robes and sniffed. I was disappointed that I had to agree with the Bearer. I headed straight to the washing room.


"What are you working on Vinyl?" I asked the inventor while I sat at a table in the lounge.

Lyra answered for her. "We.....we're mak-king this!"

The engineer showed me a small rectangular device. It was black, with a short barrel on one end and what appeared to be a wrist strap. I could make out a small strike hammer in the middle of the contrivance. Lyra had a broad smile on her face. Vinyl continued the description of the weapon.

"Lyra and I are about finished with this. It's a pistol, only way smaller. It's supposed to hook onto your hidden blade and hide down there. The barrel even extends out."

"Is it functional?" My voice sounded skeptical.

Vinyl looked up and tapped her chin. "It should be. We haven't tested it yet. Like I said, it's not finished. We want to add that rotation feature that the Shadowbolts had. Only....We could use one of those pistols."

"You can take mine, Vinyl." I suggested.

Lyra beamed. "R-really? That''s ni-nice of you."

"I am not one to use firearms. So I will not miss it."

Vinyl winced. "Uhh...We are making this for you."

"Oh..."

"Oh Octavia!" I heard Rarity sang from upstairs.

"Tartarus! Well, I must be off again, Vinyl." I apologized.

"Don't worry about it. When you come back, we hope to have completed it."

"Well good luck."

I headed up the stairs and walked into the Bearer's quarters. I saw two dresses laid across the large table. One pink and the other white. Rarity was gathering some objects. I noticed she had two pins clinched between for teeth. She had obviously been working hard the past few hours.

"I am finished with the dresses Octavia, now we must prepare to depart."

The Bearer closed the door. She then began to frantically walk around the room, for some purpose I did not know. She finally halted in front of me and looked at my hair.

"You did take a bath right?" She asked.

"Yes, Bearer."

"Hmmm, your hair reminds me of a crow nest. I should fix this."

"Excuse me?" I felt offended.

"Shush!" She grabbed a brush and began to tidy up my hair.

"My hair is fine." I said.

"Ha! And I'm a Crystal princess." Was her response.

After a little bit, she sighed and threw the brush away. She then pulled my long hair and placed it in a ponytail. "That will have to do."

I was relieved that she was no longer attacking my black hair. However, it was short lived as clamped onto my shoulders.

"It's time to get dressed, Den Master. We should hurry, the banquet starts in three hours and we have to cross the entire city."

"Alright." I began to undress.

After I had stripped to my under garments, the Bearer placed an odd item that stretched from my waist to my chest on me. I was rather confused by this, but I trusted the Bearer. I felt her tying some strings in the back. I gasped as she fully tightened the tight clothing item.

"Gah, what is this? I can't.....I can't breathe...." I panted.

"It's a corset, Octavia. All of the noblewomen are wearing them these days."

"Is its purpose to suffocate its wearer?"

"Oh stop complaining. It's meant to perfect your form. You'll get used to it. Here, you have to tie mine."

I turned to see that the Bearer had her back to me. She wore a corset as well. I wanted revenge for her placing me in this awful contraption. I grabbed the strings and did as she; only making sure it was extremely tight. My plan was foiled as I realized that it had no effect on her.

"Thank you Octavia. Now, let us finish."

We finished getting dressed. Though it was not as easy to put on the dress as my traditional robes, they were not difficult. The hardest part was placing the leather high heel boots on my feet, as I fell off the table while doing so. The shoes did not imbalance me as much as I feared they would, though I did not feel as free to move. Rarity changed rather fast, though I was not surprised by this. Her dress was also different than mine. Unlike mine, it didn't reveal below the neck. I assumed that this was due to the Element embedded in her chest. That would certainly frighten the nobles away. She covered herself in jewelry and only gave me one necklace. Lastly, she gave me a hand fan that matched my outfit. When we were ready, we walked out of the Den and headed for Fancy Pants' banquet.


The city was certainly not in the state that I had left it. The place was lively as ever in the afternoon sun. Merchants called out for their wares to be bought. Laughing children ran through the streets. Painters set up canvases and began to create their works. Minstrels played their instruments and sang their old songs. A group of boys were having a friendly dance competition. Each boy trying to one up the other. Mercenaries laughed heartily as their comrades told jokes and humorous tales. Acrobats and street performers awed their small crowds. Gentlemen tipped their hats to us. Ladies chatted eagerly, especially when Rarity and I passed them on our horses. I uncomfortably rode my horse side-saddle, as to not rip my dress. My lungs had grown use to the corset and my feet to the boots.

Some Royal Guards tipped their golden helmets at us. I had not been used to this much attention before, as I purposely avoided it. I half-expected a Guard to shout my name and give chase, but none did. I looked up at the grand spires that I had dearly missed. They still stood tall as they reached the sky. I smiled at the familiar architecture. After being in towns like Ponyville and Appleloosa, I had almost forgotten what it felt like to be amazed. I had lived my entire life in the capital and it still impressed me. I had an urge to run free on the rooftops, as I have done many times before. To feel the stone roofs and tip toe over thin lines. I then felt the restraint of the dress again and sighed.

"It does not feel right to be unarmed." I said after a while.

"I am sure, but we still have our best weapons with us: our minds."

"Hmph, I rather depend on my instincts than cleverness."

"Well, you may, but I rather be resourceful."

The Bearer than leaned far out of her saddle and stretched a hand out at a passing man. I saw her quick fingers snatch the man's purse. She then leaned back and tossed it lightly in the air. I saw her grin at her success. I looked back to see the man feeling his waist. He realized what had happened and began to search the area.

"I lost my purse! I've been pick-pocketed!"

Rarity chuckled. "We may need this."

I grunted. "Hmph, that was Generous of you."

"Indeed. Our Generosity does not depend on material, darling. Besides, I doubt he will miss it."

I lifted a brow at her odd word use. I shrugged and assumed she meant the other Bearers.

We entered the center of the city. The large clearing relieved us of the tight streets. The circle was filled with chatting people. Rarity and I noticed that a herald shouted news from up on a tall box. His news seemed to be important as the crowd around him was vast.

"We have news from Appleloosa! The Empire has retaken the town from the rebels! The battle is over! Unfortunately, our beloved General Silverstar died defending our home. Do not mourn! He would not have wanted us to be depressed over his demise!"

The crowd cheered at this. Many folk jumped to joy and others hugged each other. I felt anger building up in me. I wanted to knock over that herald and give the people the truth. I knew it would have been foolish of me to do so. I heard Rarity sigh. We rode on.

After a long and mostly uneventful ride, we finally reached the banquet. The lawn was surrounded by a tall hedge, so I could not see inside. We dismounted our horses. Two boys took the reins and led our steeds to a nearby stable. As we walked to the entrance, A Royal Guard halted us.

"Name." He said stiffly.

"Lady Rarity."

"You?" He asked me in the same tone.

"Lady Octavia."

He looked at a long piece of parchment. "I don't see a 'Lady Octavia' on here."

Rarity rolled her eyes. "Have you heard of money?"

"Why yes...." The Guard looked confused.

"Then take it." Rarity shoved the stolen purse into the Guard's hands.

"Guess you can enter." He gestured at the entrance.

"Thank you kind sir." Rarity thanked him and we walked into the party.

Even though it was barely after five O' clock, the party was already filled with nobles and servants. Musicians played their soft melodies in the corners, while servants hustled to get food and drinks for the guests. Guests sat at tables, eating roast pork and large salads. I followed Rarity through the crowd. I realized that she was heading toward the host. I started to feel nervous as my mind counted the ways I could ruin the mission. I took a deep a breath as the corset could allow me and relaxed.

"Ah! Good day Lady Rarity, it is pleasant of you to join us. I must say, you look marvelous, dear." A haughty voice addressed the Bearer.

"Sir Fancy Pants, I am glad that I could attend." Rarity responded.

I looked at the man in front of us. He was tall and broad. His physique reminded me of Meadow Song. He possessed light blue eyes that matched his well-combed blue hair. He wore a monocle on his left eye. His blue moustache was not as large as Silverstar's, but it was quite noticeable. His clothes were of a black coat with two long coat-tails in the back. He had a white undershirt with a light purple tie. His tight pants were of a light blue and his feet were covered with long black boots. He was regal to say the least. I saw his gaze focus on me.

"And who is this lovely lady accompanying you?" He asked.

"This is my assistant, Octavia Melody."

"A pleasure." He bowed to me.

Due to my watching of nobles greeting each other in the past, I knew how to return his bow with my own. I had to fight the habit of doing the bow in the Brotherhood integritas fashion. When I lifted my head back up, Sir Fancy Pants was now flanked with an equally tall woman. She had large lavender eyes and long, flowing pink hair. She smiled at Rarity and me.

Fancy Pants gestured at the woman. "Lady Octavia, this is my wife, Fleur."

Fleur simply nodded at me.

"Shall we take a seat? I think we should commence our meeting." Rarity suggested.

"Ah yes. This way please." The noble led us to a large rounded table.

We sat at the table. The table had a white embroidered tablecloth. Rarity and I were on one side while the two nobles sat on the other. A servant came by and poured wine into our glasses. I took a sip. I never had better wine in my life. As the banquet continued around us, we chatted over trivial matters. Fancy Pants seemed to enjoy speaking ill of his fellow nobles. Fleur seemed rather interested with Crystal Republican affairs, as we talked mildly about Prince Shining Armor and Princess Mi Amore Cadenza. I was not as invested in all this gossip as Rarity was, so I almost cheered when our host finally conducted our business.

"Ladies, would you tell me about your Brotherhood."

Rarity was quick to respond. "We are the protectors of the Empire. The Brotherhood is made to defend our lands from those who wish to take freedom away. This is also a way we promote peace. If our freedom is lost, so is our peace. We live by a Creed of freewill, for freedom is not limited to government regulations. We also promote the belief of Harmony. For if Harmony was in everyone's heart, then humanity will cease to be savage."

Fancy Pants stroked his chin. "This seems like a grand task. I am puzzled as to why I haven't heard of you before."

I beat Rarity to the answer. "Well, that's simple enough. We are a secret organization. The people may not approve of us, so we keep to the shadows."

"Interesting. Though I do not see the importance of your existence. The Empire has not been threatened for years, well, you rule out the occasional rebellion."

Rarity responded first. "That is another reason that we must be secretive. Our enemy, the Templar, are also just as unknown. Their society is much larger than ours and much older. They conquer lands not by siege weapons, but by infiltrating the government. Once they do, the people become their slaves. We fight to prevent this."

The noble pondered this. He then turned to me. "Does your representative speak the truth?"

I nodded. "Yes Sir Fancy Pants. The Brotherhood does everything they can to defend the Empire from the Templar."

"Very well. Lady Rarity, I would like to speak with you in private for a little bit. Fleur, Lady Octavia, please enjoy yourselves for the time being." He stood up and walked towards his mansion. Rarity got up and followed.

I sat there with Fancy Pants' wife, who did not seem to interested in me. My mind started to wander. My eyes darted from guest to guest. Some of the nobles looked familiar. I had probably attended or crashed their parties before. My eyes then focused on a young man. He had long, greasy blond hair and light blue eyes. I recognized him as Prince Blueblood, the Two Sisters' nephew. I quickly got up and approached him.

He was alone at his table, drinking wine from a lonely glass. I sat next to him at the table. He glanced at me suspiciously. I merely smiled at him. He grunted before speaking.

"Good evening." He said dryly.

My smile disappeared. "Let's get to the point. I am not one that you would like to mess with. I want to know what's been going on in the royals."

He smiled. "I can already tell that we shall get along nicely. A drink?"

"No thank you. Now, where are your aunts hiding prisoners from the terrorist hideout in the West District?"

"Oh, I am sorry Assassin, I do not know."

"Are you a Templar?"

"No. I am neutral in this underground war. I deal with Templar and Assassins all the time. I care only for my own well-being. If I knew, I would tell you, Lady...."

"Octavia."

"Lady Octavia. I must say, you Assassins know how to recruit the most beautiful women."

"Flattery will not help you. You know of the Templar, are there any you know? Tell me, or I will hurt you."

"Ha, such boldness. From a woman too! Where have you been all my life? I do not concern myself with the Templar, so I do not take time to memorize all the ones I have met. Well, there is this one. She is actually here. Auntie Celestia's student. You can't miss her. Red and yellow hair in curls. That is all that you have heard from me."

"Thank you, Prince Blueblood."

He grinned. "You can thank me after the party, Octavia."

I silently got up and walked through the party. My dress slowed down my progress, but I soon saw the Templar woman. She was tall and thin but also graceful. She wore a bright orange and red gown that matched her curly hair. Her eyes were light green. She wore a Templar cross as a necklace. She sat by a table chatting with other nobles. I approached her and she instantly took notice of me.

"Well, I guess this chat is over. I have to speak with this woman. Would you please give us privacy?" She told the nobles.

The nobles grumbled and walked away. She beckoned me to take a seat. I obliged.

"You do not hide your face very well Assassin. I would have thought a wanted woman would keep away from public eyes." She said in a delicate voice, as if I was a long-time friend.

"Times call for desperate measures. Now I must ask you something." I replied.

"Be my guest..."

"Where are the prisoners from the West Den?"

"Heh. Quick to the point. I must apologize for Justice is not under my jurisdiction. If you wish to know, then ask Empress Luna."

"Well, that was not much help..."

"Oh I'm sure. Must be hard losing a Den right in the capital. But I will admit, I was not thrilled about the report from Appleloosa. Losing a General and a town. We were so close too."

"I guess we are still even."

She leaned back in her chair. "I wouldn't say that. We still have Cloudsdale. You may have lowly Baltimare, but that will only last so long. I hear that your leader there wants to implement anarchy in the town."

"Yes, though we do not all approve."

"I'm sure. Anarchy is Chaos. Chaos is something both of us greatly despise. Humanity infinitely deserves better."

"You speak to me like I am your friend."

"Don't worry, we are enemies. Enemies solely based off of what we call ourselves. Enemies based off of our conflicting ideologies. Templar and Assassin. Nothing different."

The Templar was charismatic. Her smooth demeanor and elegance distracted me from what she was. The thirst for for removing her did not rise up in my heart. She seemed innocent and the hardest foe to beat.

"You are Empress Celestia's student right?" I asked her.

She frowned. "Oh Blueblood. Never did learn to shut his mouth. I guess you offered him prostitution. He always falls for that. But yes, I am Celestia's student. Though I prefer the term 'adviser.' Celestia often needs me to help her."

"How did a Templar get so close to the Empress?"

"It is interesting, isn't it? Well, I have never always been a Templar. I became one through my love for study. Especially history and philosophy. In the Royal Archives, I stumbled upon the "The Gateway" by Shadow King Sombra. His views are flawed but reasonable. The Templar no longer share all of his viewpoints. However, they are a way to achieve peace. I want to bring peace to the Empire, and maybe the world. And this is the way to do it."

"How is slavery peace? Shadow King Sombra fell to his own subjects. Do you think this is what the Empire deserves?"

"Slaves? Ha! The Templar do not want to make slaves. Shadow King Sombra was insane in that category. However, his reasons were far ahead of his time. If people think alike, they will get along. The Templar want everyone to think alike. To have the same mindset. There will be no arguments since there is nothing to disagree upon. Wealth will be spread evenly throughout the commerce. All regulated by the government. The people will never worry again. You must broaden your mind, Assassin. Sapere Aude. You do not have to follow some Creed made by those who simply resist the future."

"People have the right to think for themselves. They have the right to make their own choices. The government should not do everything for them. Your Absolute Order will only work for so long, until the people start to outsmart you. They will rise against their rulers and replace it with freedom or Chaos. Freedom and Harmony is what we Assassins strive for. We know the flaws of your viewpoint and simply want to avoid destruction in the future generations."

The Templar shrugged. "I am willing to admit that I am not sure if my views are 100% correct. We shall see by the time this two century war ends."

"This war does not seem like it will ever end. So much destruction has been wrought upon both of us already. I am not sure if I can take anymore death."

Celestia's student nodded. "There has been much devastation. Though you should know that the Brotherhood caused most of it. For anyone that disagrees with your Creed ends up stabbed by a blade."

"Many die at your hands as well."

"We are not so savage. We at least give them a warning before disposing them. But why should either of us care? Felix culpa. They perish for the future generations, for the greater good. If they live, then they may ruin our plans for the future. Peace through death."

Our attention turned to a new arrival. The hooded woman stood next to the Templar. Her Assassin robes were blue with a yellow line through the middle. A Templar cross was stitched on the side of her hood. Two cutlasses rested on her hips. She removed her hood to reveal white hair and purple eyes. Her appearance made me almost shatter the glass I was holding. The Wonderbolt cleared her throat before speaking.

"Lady Shimmer, the G. K. R. S. Valkyrie has arrived in Fillydelphia. Captain Gilda is ready to protect the Equestrian coast."

"Thank you Agent Fleetfoot. This is splendid news." Lady Shimmer smiled at the traitor.

Fleetfoot looked at me. "G'd evening, Octavia. Wow, you look lovely tonight." She said cheerfully.

"You look splendid as well." I said through gritted teeth.

"Thank ya! Have a nice night."

With that, the Wonderbolt climbed over the tall hedge and disappeared. Lady Shimmer chuckled at my apparent anger.

"You shouldn't be so harsh on the Wonderbolts. They have free minds."

"They're bloody traitors."

"Oh, but your Creed is that of freewill. Are you so angry that those three chose their own lives? You Assassins should have them as examples of thinking for oneself"

"No, because they have no Loyalty."

"Those Elements? The Brotherhood is proud of them aren't they? Crystals that can grant their bearers powers and knowledge. Makes me wonder about their true origins."

"I would expect a scholar like you to know they were made by Starswirl the Bearded."

"I don't believe that. How can one man create magic like that? No one else has. Even Shadow King Sombra's magic turned out to be simple tricks and black powder. Something is wrong with our history there. Some devilish aspect is connected to those Elements. I am sure of this."

"The Sisters have magic." I reminded her.

She waved that off. "They fall under the same category."

She sat quietly pondering all of this. I myself was confused by the history. How did Starswirl create the Elements? This was something never asked when studying the Brotherhood's history. It was just fact. My mind started to picture demonic sacrifices and portals to Tartarus. I quickly dismissed these. The Templar and my attention shifted to the woman standing by our table.

"Well there you are Octavia. I've been searching everywhere for you. I had feared that you became bored and scampered off." The Bearer of Generosity told me.

"She has been doing fine. We had a lovely conversation." Lady Shimmer said in her elegant voice.

I saw that Rarity instantly noticed the Templar's necklace. She then eyed me suspiciously. Her silent accusation made me frown.

"It's not like that!" I defended myself.

"I assure you lady, Octavia is speaking the truth." The Templar gestured at me.

"Who do I have the pleasure of speaking to?" Rarity asked in less than friendly voice.

"Sunset Shimmer, adviser of Empress Celestia. You?"

"Rarity."

Sunset chuckled. "Simple enough. But don't you two have some poor noble to kill or some herald to intimidate? I never see Assassins enjoying themselves in upper class activities."

"We can be just as refined as the Templar." Rarity told her and then looked at me. "Let us be off, Octavia."

Sunset lifted a brow. "The banquet is not over yet. You can't walk out now."

Rarity did not respond and walked away. I hesitated before getting up. As I walked away the Templar waved at me.

"May the Father of Understanding guide you." Her friendly voice disgusted me.

I soon caught up with the Bearer. Rarity did not seem to be in the best mood at the moment. Nobles took notice of us as we passed. Some questioned about our identity while others simply admired our attire. When we were about to exit the banquet, the voice of the Prince stopped us.

"Lady Octavia, I thought we had something on for tonight." He sounded sad.

"No we did not. I was here only for business."

"The first real woman I meet rejects me." He said in disbelief.

"Maybe that says something about you." I observed.

"How rude!" The Prince stormed off.

Rarity looked at me with shock. "How....You just rejected the Prince! How could you?"

"Very easily."

"Oh, we may be the next great offenders of the royalty. I hope my head stays attached to my body after all this." She nervously felt her throat.

"I do not see the problem. He only wanted my body."

"Of course he did! But he's the Prince of Equestria! You give him your body. We need to make allies, not enemies."

"He's not nobility."

"No, he's royalty! That's better! We are now known as the ones who rejected him. He will not be happy with us."

"Too bad for him. We were here for Fancy Pants, not a piggish prince."

Rarity covered her face with her hand. She then called the stable-boys who brought our horses over. We then started heading south. The streets were still crowded with people, though the particulars were different. The children and housewives were replaced by gamblers and courtesans. The "undesirables" that wanted to get an early start on the night. Royal Guards still patrolled the cobblestone streets, wielding their halberds and swords in an intimidating fashion. As we rode away from the banquet, Rarity spoke.

"Sir Fancy Pants has accepted our offer. But, he is afraid of retaliation from his enemies if they catch wind of this. He told me that he will only help us if we help him first. His enemies: Lord Toity, Madame Finish, and Lady Shores must be dead my midnight tomorrow."

"Are they Templar?" I asked.

"I asked that too darling, but he said that he did not know. Though, according to him, it is likely. All that we can go on is that they have wronged him and they need to die."

"We cannot simply kill them without a reason." I stated.

"We do have a reason, Octavia. Remember that this is for the Bearer of Kindness. Fancy Pants may be the only way to free her, and we must kill these three in order for him to do so. I say it is necessary."

"We don't even know if she is in the Old Dungeon. She could be anywhere. What if Fancy Pants is a dead end?"

"Then we shall search elsewhere."

I shook my head. I knew I could not convince the Bearer. The strong companionship between the Bearers was making her act this way. I decided to change the subject.

"How is it that Empress Celestia's student is a Templar? It's strange that she slipped under our noses."

"That girl you were talking to? Ah yes, a curious one. It seems that the Empire is made up of Templar these days. With Sunset Shimmer, we do not know how much real authority she possesses. I highly doubt that Empress Celestia is a Templar herself."

"She said something about the Elements. How were they created?"

Her eyes widened. "Well.....That is something you must ask Twilight. I am not one to look into such things."

"You are a Bearer. Surely the Element can tell you."

Her voice became angry and mocking. "Can it? Can a crystal do such a thing? I have no idea, Den Master. Maybe you should bear it sometime."

"I'm sorry Bearer...." I apologized.

"I cannot do that. She'll think ill of Us. You know this." Rarity said quietly, it did not seem directed to me.

"Bearer? Who are you talking to?" I asked worriedly.

She snapped back. "Nothing and no one. Ummm....Let's get to the Den shall we?


After a long and silent ride, we finally arrived at the South Canterlot Den. Upon entering, we heard a commotion coming from the physician's room. Rarity and I followed the noise and saw Vinyl being attended to by the physician. She was laughing and smiling. The grumpy doctor was bandaging up her right wrist. Lyra sat in the corner sighing. The inventor looked at me and chuckled.

"Tavi, I know what you're thinkin' but this is progress."

"What in Tartarus did you do, Vinyl?" I yelled at her.

"Well.....Lyra and I wanted to test the hidden pistol.....And we......went to the back and fired it." She said in nervous cheerfulness.

"Well then, did it fail?"

"Miserably. It put on my wrist and it...." She searched for a word. "Blew up."

"Vinyl! You can't....What if you lost an arm?"

"Well I didn't. We know what went wrong and we'll fix this."

I slapped my forehead. The inventor still chuckled at her failure. Lyra looked at me and shrugged. I did not know what to say. The inventor and the engineer have had injuries before from their projects. The fear of having one of them crippled was often on my mind. I shook my head at their incompetence and walked to my quarters.

I had grown so accustomed to the corset and boots that I forgot I was wearing them. Upon realizing this, I quickly changed back into my traditional gray silk robes. I kept the dress and placed it in my small closet. I thought that I would keep it in case of disguise, or maybe have it for when my Assassin robes are no longer needed. Either way, I would probably not put it on for some time.


Finally I am finished for the night. Due to all of the annoying screams and shouts outside, I believe there is a drunken brawl happening in front of the Den. Even for a city of this caliber, this is unusual. The nights are usually peaceful save the occasional thief or Assassin. Ha, it is so easy to compare the two. Thieves, cutthroats, Templar, Assassins, all desperately wanting something: gold, glory, peace, Harmony. And all so willing to commit any crime to do so. It seems that humanity only progresses by those who conquer. Those who implant ideas and views into others. As The Templar said, felix culpa, our actions propel humanity even if they are not proper. This era shall be remembered for the great flux of ideas and morals. Half of me wishes it was not so, the other yearns for more. I shall end my writing here. My hand aches from holding the quill for so long. My mission tomorrow is clear.

Adieu and goodnight.

~

Author's Note:

Had to get in touch with my feminine side for this. XD

Long chapter. The way I like it.

Also, if you don't know the "integritas" thing, go search it!

Feedback is welcomed!


-Cheers for That!

PreviousChapters Next