• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 4,405 Views, 658 Comments

Harmony's Creed - Gapeagle



I am Den Master Octavia Melody. I write these words so that the future generations may remember our endeavors.

  • ...
15
 658
 4,405

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 25: Answers

Chapter 25: Answers

By Octavia Melody

I awoke with a frustrated sigh. My plans to acquire knowledge ended up in a heated argument with a Templar. I could have done better. I could have avoided such a dispute. Now the Elements were still mostly unknown. Was Sunset Shimmer right? Were the Bearers using the Brotherhood for their own gains? Maybe I would discuss it with Vinyl. Wait, where was I? All around me were black walls and the sound of dripping water. The bed I was laying on was not my bed and rather felt like hay. I sat up. The jingle of chains startled me. I looked down to see my hands and ankles in shackles. I was not even in my robes. Instead, I was in a prisoner rag. My head was struck with the final memory. I was attacked by the Guardians, I was knocked out. I was now in the Old Dungeon.

"Oh, how could I have been so foolish!?" I slapped my hands over my face.

"Oh, you're awake?" A soft voice asked me from the darkness.

I looked to my right to see a figure sitting on a much better bed than me. The figure was also much better dressed than I, wearing what looked like Assassin robes. I could not see much detail in the darkness, but the voice was recognizable.

"Bearer?" I asked the figure.

"Yup. It's good to see you Den Master." The Bearer of Kindness said in a cheerful voice.

"How long have I been here?"

"Oh, about three hours. It's really early morning. You came in with a broken nose. But don't worry, I healed it."

I felt my nose. It felt perfect like before. I only nodded in silent thanks. Then my mind noticed something.

"Why are you in your robe and I am in.....these?"

"Oh, that's because the Guards are nice. Bulk and Trixie often come and talk with me. They think I am important, so they give me special treatment. Though, I don't know why they think of me like that. I am just Fluttershy."

I felt like slapping my forehead. "Of course they think you're important. You are a Bea....." I paused and inspected her.

My quest for truth was not over. Here was a Bearer in the same cell as me. A Bearer that was not known for attacking or even retaliating. I pondered how I could get information out of her. I had to beat down my will to strangle the truth out of her. I was still an Assassin. I could and should not do such things. I shrugged and asked her a question.

"Bearer.....Fluttershy, may I ask you a question?"

"Uh.....Of course."

"How were the Elements made?"

She sat silent. I began to regret my direct approach. She began to squirm in the darkness. I could hear her stammer and think aloud. Finally, she came up with one full syllable.

".....No?"

"That's your answer?" I was thoroughly enraged. "I...What...You bloody Bearers!"

"I...I'm sorry. Did I give the wrong answer?"

"Yes! I......Oh forget it."

I leaned back on the cell wall and slumped over. I felt defeated. The truth was right next to me, and I couldn't even get it. Fluttershy took notice of my sudden change of mood. She leaned forward and clasped her hands.

"I guess....I guess We may tell you." She began.

My heart lifted. Fluttershy still looked apprehensive. She started muttering some inaudible sounds. It was clear that she was fighting with the Element. She finally sighed and began to tell me about the Elements.

"We...Well, the Elements weren't created. I mean, they had to be created at some point, but well, not by Starswirl. Starswirl found the Elements in their home. They took Us...er them. He took them from their home. We came along, We wanted more. He told Us about the Templar, about the awful people that wanted to rule this world. The Elements couldn't allow such a thing to pass. We......We wanted to help humanity. So We left with him. We knew We could help, but We needed a host, a shelter to carry Us on the journey. We needed Bearers. I am sure you know the rest."

"Home? What's your home?"

"The Tree. The lovely, bright, harmonious Tree. We are seeds, simple seeds of this Tree."

"Where is this Tree?"

"No.....We can't tell you."

"Why not?"

"Becau.....Because it can't be known. We don't want to go home. Our task is not yet finished."

"What? Just because I know where the Tree is doesn't mean I'll take you back to it."

"Yes, yes it does. No, you shall remain ignorant of Our home. Please...."

"Who am I talking to? The Bearer or the Element?"

She paused. "Right now, me, Fluttershy."

"Can I speak with the Element?"

"With Kindness? She.....It is not pleasant giving her complete control." Fluttershy's voice began to falter.

"Please Fluttershy?"

"I....Alright...You heard Octavia.....I guess I can give you a minute...."

She began to clutch her chest. Her breath became heavy. I did not know what I had just asked of the Bearer. I started to become scared as the Bearer grunted in pain. However, it suddenly stopped. The Bearer opened her eyes and flooded the cell with light. Her eyes were white and glowing brightly.

"Hmm....Well now you see, Den Master." The voice that uttered from Fluttershy's mouth was not the same.

"Are you the Element?"

"Yes, my name is Kindness. You are very curious about us aren't you?"

"I....Yes. Why don't you wish to go home?"

"Because we will lose the fight. Our purpose is to establish Harmony to the land so close to us. Until that is achieved, we shall remain out in this world."

"Is that what the Brotherhood is for? Your own gains?"

"If you think we are taking advantage of you, you are misled. We do not order you any more than a brother asks his twin for a favor."

"Then why....Why must you train us to kill? Why do you hate the Templar?"

"Because the Templar do not wish peace like they say. They only wish to stuff their purses. We have seen many like this throughout the millennia. The only way to stop such people is through death, for there are many who will not change."

"I do not think of that when I hear Kindness!"

"Nor should you. When we were in the Tree, we would say that as well. However, Starswirl showed us our true purpose. We must achieve that purpose in any way possible."

"Are you saying that I'm ignorant?"

"No. We are saying...." The Element was interrupted.

Footsteps could be heard down the black hallway. Fluttershy's body tensed up for a moment and the glowing eyes left her. The Bearer panted in fatigue. I was still in slight shock by the Element's rough possessing of Fluttershy. The sound of footsteps approached. I could tell it was at least four people heading our way. The hallway became illuminated as the group had a torch with them. The group reached our cell and faced us. They were certainly guests that I did not want to speak with at the moment. It was Sunset and the three Wonderbolts.

"This is what you get Assassin. My arm is never going to be the same thanks to you." Sunset Shimmer gestured to her bandaged arm.

"Oh, I am honored to be in your presence." I said sarcastically.

Fleetfoot giggled at this. She was abruptly silenced by a glare from Sunset. Sunset pointed at me with a threatening finger.

"You are going to hang for this, I swear by the Sun. You and the Bearer both!"

Spitfire spoke up. "Lady Shimmer, we have tried that before. Empress Luna won't execute Fluttershy. She finds no wrong with her."

"Ah, Captain. We can try again. Since we have another Assassin here, we could pinpoint a crime on her through Octavia." Sunset pondered.

"I don't see why we can't kill them now." Soarin mumbled.

Spitfire raised a brow. "What Honor is there in that?"

Sunset shook her head. "No, killing them now would raise questions among the Royal Guard. The last thing we need is more of them killing us."

"I'm sorry that we are an inconvenience." Fluttershy uttered.

The Templar stopped their bickering and gazed at the Bearer with confusion. I too was confused by the sincerity in the Bearer's voice, but I was not surprised by it. The apology from the Bearer seemed to have taken the angry breath out of the Templar agents that stood outside my cell. Sunset Shimmer grunted in annoyance and walked off. The Wonderbolts stood and watched her depart.

"Damno! These horrid floors ruined my shoes. I need new ones. Another bloody task on my list." Celestia's student complained.

Spitfire chuckled. "Canterlotians." She turned to me. "Sorry it had to be this way Den Master. It's necessary for this Empire. Bearer, have a nice night. Valete!"

With that, the Wonderbolts left and the hall became engulfed in darkness once again. The Templar were very anxious to rid me. I even held an audience with four of their top agents and leaders. I felt special. As I thought about this, I turned to Fluttershy. She was laying on her cot, trying to get some rest. I should get some shut eye too. I tried to get comfortable on my hay pile. My chains making unwanted noises. Finally I found a reasonable position and closed my eyes.


I awoke to the sound of bird singing. The squawks and chirps greatly annoyed me. Wait...They sounded awfully close. I propped myself up off of my hay and frantically searched my cell. My eyes found the Bearer of Kindness standing by the cell window, feeding the small birds that filled my ears with such agony. The sight was so strange, I stammered as I took it all in.

"Bea.....Bearer? What....What are you doing?

"Oh, good morning Octavia. I'm feeding my friends. This one is Jacques and that one is Breezy and that one is Olivia." She pointed to the birds that stood between the window's iron bars.

I responded by rubbing my face. I had forgotten that she was an animal caretaker before she was chosen. To even further my morning grumpiness, the Bearer began to hum along with the birds. I will admit that it was an adorable scene between woman and nature, but it felt wrong in such a time as this. I grunted and got to my feet, making my chains rattle loudly. The birds pecked the small pieces of food that the Bearer gave them. My stomach growled at this display.

"Bearer, what are you feeding them with?" I asked as I envied the birds.

"Oh, it's our bread we got a few minutes ago." She told me in her cheerful voice.

My face became red with rage. The birds were eating our food? No, No! I angrily shooed the birds away. Once they flew away I turned to Fluttershy. I saw that he Bearer was still holding a chunk of bread in her hand. I snatched it from her and took a bite from it. Making sure that I showed no Canterlotian manners.

"Well....That wasn't very nice..." Fluttershy muttered in defeat.

"Hmph. It's better than giving it to the crows." I responded.

"Actually, Jacques is a parrot." The Bearer said in a matter-of-fact way.

I shook my head at the Bearer as I ate the bread. With my hunger sated for now, I was satisfied. Well, as satisfied as one imprisoned could be. The Old Dungeon became quiet until the sound of metal footsteps could be heard from down the hall. Fluttershy instantly brightened at this. I shrugged to show her my confusion. She simply responded by pointing at the iron door. Soon, a large knight in white armor appeared at the door. His armor was that of an Enforcer. His large zweihander was strapped over his back. It was the same Enforcer I saw cleave through Iron Will's men.

"Is she bothering you m'lady?" The giant asked Fluttershy.

"Oh. No, she's fine." The Bearer turned to me. "Octavia, this is Bulk."

The Enforcer bowed. "Bulkian Becips IV of Cloudsdale, at your service."

This day was becoming stranger with every minute. "Uh...I'm Octavia Melody. It is a pleasure."

"No one ever introduces me!" A loud voice emitted.

A woman joined the Enforcer. She was tall, but still only reached the Enforcer ribs. Her silver hair and pink eyes complimented her Imperial Captain armor. She held her golden helmet at her side. A pistol and sword were strapped around her waist. She grinned at the Bearer and I with confidence.

"It seems we are always capturing more of your kind." The captain observed.

Fluttershy spoke up again. "This is Captain Trixie Lulamoon. She is Bulk's boss."

"Rightly so." Trixie said proudly. "It always wonderful to have such a man under you." She patted the Enforcer's armor.

The captain continued. "However, we are not here on such talk. Both of you are very similar people. How you dress and how you move. You even carried the same wrist blades. I would be a fool if I didn't see a connection. That's why I placed both of you in the same cell. It would be too much to keep track of you two in different cells."

"Alright. What are you getting at?" I asked.

"What Trixie is getting at is, this." She pulled out the Templar necklace she got from Iron Will.

"We know you are involved with this symbol." Bulk said in his deep monotone voice.

"Lady Shimmer bears the same cross. You two, however, both carried this symbol. " Trixie pulled out a hidden blade and showed us the Assassin insignia that was engraved on it.

"Maybe if you let us go, we'll tell you." I suggested.

Trixie laughed. "Ha! Fluttershy has a shard in her chest and you are a wanted murderer. I don't think that's an option."

The Bearer sighed. "We are Assassins. The Assassins are a brotherhood of men and women who seek to protect this land from the Templar, who wear that cross. They want Order, Absolute Order to be exact. We Assassins want Harmony and Freedom."

Trixie pondered this. "So you Templar and Assassins are the reason for all these deaths lately?"

Fluttershy shrugged. "For about the past 200 years."

There was a pause from the two Imperials. A grin began to form on the captain's face. Before I knew it, she was laughing hysterically.

"200 years? Ha! An underground war that has raged through the Empire for 200 years?! That's preposterous! This should be well known by now if it's been going on for that long. Ha!" She stopped laughing as she observed our faces. "You're serious?"

I nodded. "Exceedingly."

"What?" The captain muttered. "What? This has been going on right under our noses. Under the Sisters' noses?"

"We are good at going unnoticed." I told her.

"And Lady Shimmer is with these Templar?"

"Yes."

"Then why were you with her in the Archives?"

A deadly silence took hold of the Old Dungeon. I saw Fluttershy's open mouth in the corner of my eye. Her eye was twitching. I thought of some excuse to say, but I knew it wouldn't matter. Trixie shifted her eyes from me to the Bearer and back. It was evident that she knew she said something that would get me punished. The Bearer finally sighed and faced me.

"Yes, Den Master. What were you doing in there?" Her voice was not as soft.

Bulk, Trixie, and Fluttershy stared at me, awaiting my answer. If I told the truth, the Brotherhood would be furious with me. If I said that I was trying to assassinate Shimmer, the Empire would hang me. If I said anything else, they wouldn't believe me. So I took the coward's way out.

"I want....I want a cell transfer."

"Oh no you don't!"

The Bearer grabbed me and threw me into the wall. Her quickness was shocking. I didn't fight back and simply shielded myself as Fluttershy kicked at me. The iron door swung open and Bulk took hold of Fluttershy. He pulled her away with one arm and held her in the air. She squirmed and struggled.

"Let go of me!" She yelled.

"Calm down m'lady. Take a deep breath." The Enforcer soothed her.

The Bearer did as he suggested. She stopped struggling and looked at me. "I'm....I'm sorry, I didn't know what came over me."

Trixie walked over to me and pulled me up. She then led me out of the cell. "Cell transfer approved."

"Thank you Captain Trixie." I whispered.

"I have never seen her fight like that before. You must have really pissed her off."

"You could say that."

Trixie led me to an empty cell down the hallway. Inmates stared at me as I passed. Men, women, there was no separation in the Old Dungeon. You were all the same: criminals. Before I was placed in my new cell, the captain unlocked my shackles and removed them from my wrists. However, she left the shackles on my legs.

"Trixie does not trust you completely. A woman that could scale the Palace should have extra security."

I simply grunted and sat on my new cot. The bed was not as fine as the Bearer's, but it was better than the hay. Trixie closed the iron door. I expected her to walk off, but instead she stood there with her arms crossed.

"Yes?" I asked impatiently.

"Fluttershy said you Assassins protect the Empire, no?" She questioned.

"Yes. That's our purpose."

"Then why all the secrecy? Is it because of your methods?"

"Yes, we do not want the people to turn on the Empire if we killed someone they liked or trusted. Since we are not affiliated with the Empire, the people will turn on us and not you."

"It doesn't make sense. You kill so many, just to protect?"

"Yes."

She patted her sword. "You know, I joined the Royal Guard to protect people. To save people. Trixie carries this sword and this pistol, weapons that were designed to slaughter fellow humans, to protect people, to save them from dying. As a Guard, my job is not to kill villains, but to help those who cannot help themselves. Your Brotherhood has weaponry beyond the Empire's engineering, yet you use them to only kill. That is the difference between you and I. I seek to aid, you seek to destroy."

"How dare you!" I sprung up and grabbed the iron bars. "The Brotherhood fights to save this nation. We fight to save the future generations!"

"The future generations be damned if we don't get through THIS generation. You Assassins only seem to see those you help and not those you harm."

"The Templar are evil doers that seek to rule this land. The Assassins must end them in any way possible!"

"I'm sure the Templar say the same about you. You two are no different. You both seek power and influence in this Empire. You both kill to get it. Trixie sees this as two-faced coin. I flip and get Templar, it will be the same if I flip and get Assassins. Another thing about a coin, the sides never leave each other. If this war has gone for over 200 years, it will go another 200."

"We fight until there is peace."

"No, you don't understand. You and the Templar are the only reason we aren't in peace! The Empire would thrive without your kind."

My eyes fell. I was angry, but I could not utter any harsh words at her. It felt so true, but I didn't want to accept it. My mind filled with the faces of those I killed. Templar or not. Most of them, I did not give a second thought at their death. But Sir Rich, Lady Shores, and my first victim as an Assassin ripped at my heart. So many faces stared at me, and I was just one Assassin. There were many Brothers out there and have been for 200 years. My mind could not calculate the massive amount of death we have wrought. The guilt made me slide to the cold floor. I kept my eyes away from the captain. She crouched and looked at me.

"If Trixie were Empress, I would track all of your kind and the Templar as well. I would hunt you down and give you true Justice. It would be the only to improve this Empire."

I nodded. "And we would deserve it."

"That is what Trixie thought."

The captain began to walk away. I cleared my throat and called to her.

"Captain?"

She stopped. "Yes?"

"Can I have something?"

"What would you want?"

"A quill, ink, and some parchment."

"As you wish." Trixie left to give me what I had requested.

~

Author's Note:

Well, is Trixie right? Is Octavia going about all this the wrong way?


Who knows....

The Wonderbolts are back. I wonder what their true story is.....Maybe it has something to do with Templar's Honor?

PreviousChapters Next