• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 4,405 Views, 658 Comments

Harmony's Creed - Gapeagle



I am Den Master Octavia Melody. I write these words so that the future generations may remember our endeavors.

  • ...
15
 658
 4,405

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 19: Back Again

Chapter 19: Back Again

By Octavia Melody


The sun desperately tried to penetrate the sheets of my tent. I lazily rubbed my eyes as I laid inside. The morning, like most of the night, was extremely humid. This uncomfortable weather made me strip down to my under garments. Even then, I sweated from the heat. Mutterings could be heard from the outside. I recognized Pinkie's gibberish. It was apparent that our new guests did not leave last night. I only knew this now because I had not taken a night shift. That was pleasant gift from the others.

I was still only half-awake though. My mind could not focus on any given topic for more than a few seconds. I slid a hand through my black hair. I sighed as I realized that it was greasy and very unkempt. I would not enjoy entering my home in such a state. I was starting to think like Rarity. My eyes started to falter as I fell back asleep. However, this was abruptly stopped when my tent started to shake.

"Rise and shine, Tavi! Usually I'm the late bloomer." Vinyl said through the sheets.

"I require five more minutes Vinyl..." I moaned.

"Tavi. The sun's up already. Ya gotta get up."

"I told you. Five more minutes before I am rested enough."

"No ya don't."

The flaps of the tent flew open. The inventor reached for my legs and pulled me out of the tent. This action made me wide awake. I cursed at Vinyl as she dragged me onto the dirt of our camp. When she had pulled me far enough, she let go of me legs. I quickly looked around the camp. Twilight stared at me with a disapproving look. Pinkie cheerfully waved at me. Spike glanced at me, but soon averted his eyes. Vinyl giggled at all of this.

"Tavi, ya need to put some robes on."

"Vinyl, that was rude of you to drag me out here."

"Alright, Den Master." She gave me a mocking smile.

"That's it!"

I stood up and forcefully kicked her in the side. I then proceeded to grab her shoulders and throw her into the ground. I heard a loud gasp from Pinkie. I soon regretted my retaliation as I saw my friend hold her sides in pain.

"I get it...Ya have no humor." She mumbled.

"What humor is there in dragging someone from their bad?" I lifted a brow.

"Heh, you used to laugh at that kinda stuff."

"Maybe, but that was then when I was naive and uncivil."

Her only response was shaking her head.

"Sorry Vinyl..." I reached my hand out to her.

"Nah....I'm good."

She then lifted herself off the dirt. Once she got on her feet, she brushed the dust off of her white robes. I then realized that I was a still in my under garments. I quickly returned to my tent and dressed.


"Well, it was kind of you to have traveled with us." The Bearer of Magic told Pinkie.

Pinkie shook her head. "It wasn't Kind of me Twi. Just nice."

"Oh right. Well thanks anyway."

With that, Pinkie and her Disciples turned and left our group. We were about a quarter of the way up the massive mountain. Since it was only about mid-morning, we had been making great time. The horses were refreshed from their rest and easily climbed the steep rock.

As we headed up the mountain, merchants, travelers, and Royal Guards became more frequent. The Guard patrols were mainly groups of three, armed with halberds or any standard weapons. This made me slightly uneasy, as I did not remember this many outside the capital walls before. The merchants mainly sold produce or clothes. I guessed that they could not access the city for one reason or another. We bought some apples from a farmer with the few bitpieces we had left. This small meal strengthened us to finish our long journey.

By early afternoon, we had made it to Canterlot. The grand entrance was filled with merchant stalls and wagons. We had not entered the walls and already the place was bustling. We slowly passed the shouts of silk and paintings, all wanting to be bought at a certain price. A herald shouted out news. Our group stopped to listen, but all of his news was on trivial matters that we did not concern. We passed the long bridge and were about to enter the walls when a two Royal Guards halted us.

"Halt! By order of the Empire, we must search your possessions before you can enter."

"That rule is new." I said. "Why has it been implemented?"

"Well m'lady, due to the recent terrorist activities, we cannot risk letting more of them through these gates."

The two Guards approached our horses. They seemed to have been doing this all day as they lazily started to search our gear. Suddenly, an indignant grunt emitted from the entrance that made them turn around. I looked up to see a white dressed woman in the gateway.

"And what exactly are you boys doing?" I recognized the voice instantly.

The Guards gulped. "Lady Rarity! Uh.....We were simply.....Making sure they were not enemies of the Empire."

"That is highly unlikely boys. I know these darlings. You can permit them through."

"Yes Lady Rarity." The Guards bowed at us and stepped aside.

I looked intently at the Bearer of Generosity. She returned my stare with a confident grin.


The South Canterlot Den's lounge was crowded, but mostly quiet. Upon our arrival, we were greeted with a shout of joy. However, this was short lived as the Assassins quickly went back to their work. I noticed that there were far more Brothers here than usual. I assumed that they were remnants from the West Den. I observed the lounge closely. Vinyl was talking to Lyra in a corner, by some burning incense. Derpy went off to find the physician. I sat with the two Bearers as they recounted their respective stories.

"Noteworthy and Amethyst Star?" Rarity pondered. "I have actually heard those names before. I believe it was two days ago. They met me at the gate and asked if they could stay in the East Den. They were suspicious, yes, but I could not simply reject them. I told them they could stay at that Den and they left. Never heard of them since."

Twilight frowned. "Well, there's another issue on our hands. I told them to stay out of the war. Doesn't seem that they listened."

"Oh, don't be so austere my dear. They had traveled far. Maybe they simply needed rest."

"Hmph. That reminds me, why did the guards obey you at the gate?" The Bearer of Magic asked.

"Oh, those boys? I had a little chat with them about a week ago. They are actually very kind men. Let's just say they know when to obey the one with the knife."

"Ha, and you call me austere."

I piped in the conversation. "Last night I met your younger sister. She said you were making friends with nobles. For what purpose may I ask?

"Sweetie Belle? How is that sweetheart doing?"

"She's doing fine, Bearer. What about the nobles?" I persisted.

"Hmph! Always so snappy. The nobles are going to be our eyes in political affairs. I was thinking we had simply too much in the underworld and not enough in the nobility. I have already made acquaintances with Sir Fancy Pants and his wife. Talking about him, he is hosting a banquet tomorrow evening. He even invited Prince Blueblood. I am also attending; I however, need another woman to aid me in this."

"I would love to, Rarity." Twilight beamed.

"I am deeply sorry Twilight, but I was not referring to you. I was meaning for it to be Octavia."

My eyes widened. "What?"

"You should be glad Den Master. This is an honor..."

"To party with nobles while the Bearer of Kindness is missing and the West Den destroyed?" I shouted.

"My word! No, this is for Fluttershy. There is no trace of that poor girl, but Twilight and I know she is not dead. We believe she is in the Old Dungeon, which means she is under Imperial custody. The nobles can bend the rules. If we appeal to them, they could free Fluttershy with only their words and money. But first, we have to make them our friends." The Bearer of Generosity stared at me with her deep blue eyes.

I leaned in the back of my chair. "Fine, but I still do not see why I must be involved in your scheme."

"Neither do I." Twilight said.

"Darling, it is that I do not believe you have the grace or finesse to pass as a noblewoman. You are well-read, but other than that you are nothing more than a scholar. Octavia, on the other hand, has been to many noble banquets before."

"Only as a bloody musician..." I grumbled.

Rarity turned to me. "Yes, and that allowed you to learn how to be a lady. You do not realize it, but you have the best etiquette of anyone in this Den besides me." She then faced Twilight again. "I do not want to risk the nobles despising us by our behavior. But the main reason is that looks are far better than words. Octavia is one of the most beautiful girls in Canterlot."

I heard inaudible sounds emitting from the Bearer of Magic. I could tell that she was slightly upset at this. I myself felt a blush reaching my cheeks. Rarity glanced at me with a sincere smile. I tried to say something, but instead, I stood up and started to head upstairs.

"I....I am going for a walk." I told the Bearers.

"I would highly advise against it, darling."

I turned around. "Why not?"

"Your face is still plastered over Canterlot. It's been a few weeks since you killed Sir Rich, but the Guards still search for you. Some of them are now considering that you are phantom that will never return. However, many of your wanted posters have been covered up by ones for petty criminals."

I chuckled. "I'm not a petty criminal."

Rarity slowly nodded her head. "No you're not. Darling, you are far worse to the Empire."

My smile disappeared at this. I stood there blinking. I then walked up the stairs and towards my quarters. The door to my quarters was closed and a bit dusty. It was apparent that no one had opened the door since I left for Appleloosa. This pleased me. I opened the door and entered my room.

The evening sun shone through the red stained glass window. My bed was in disarray, as was the rest of the room. I sat down at my desk. The wood had a fine layer of dust over it. Some quills were pushed aside to the ends of the desk. This was my kingdom. A place where knowledge flowed and violence was non-existent. A place that I had neglected over the past weeks, yet it waited patiently for my return. The kingdom's scribes, the quills, silently cheered as I ran my hand over them. My top import, the ink, waited to be used. My personal adviser, the cello, beckoned me to come over. I walked over and grabbed the instrument that used to define me. I placed the herald, the bow, over the strings. I slid the bow back and forth. The sounds that emitted were surprisingly in tune. My left hand pressed the strings while my right guided the bow. A lovely melody rang through the South Den halls. This went far into the night. My kingdom shouted good news to the surrounding nations. If only their news was true.

Adieu and goodnight

~

Author's Note:

Not a long chapter, but whatever. It'll get going back again.


Rarity's back! Rejoice!

Feedback is welcomed!

-Cheers for That!

PreviousChapters Next