• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 4,404 Views, 658 Comments

Harmony's Creed - Gapeagle



I am Den Master Octavia Melody. I write these words so that the future generations may remember our endeavors.

  • ...
15
 658
 4,404

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 6: Harsh Kindness

Chapter 6: Harsh Kindness

By Octavia Melody

I casually entered my Den. I was met with the sound of worried whispers. I saw Assassins gathered at the back of the Den, outside of the physician's room. The Bearer of Kindness surely had arrived . I quickened my pace and slid between the Assassins and entered the room.

Rarity was laid on the table with her arms crossed, her eyes revealed annoyance. Twilight and the physician leaned on the wall, listening to the new arrival, who leaned over the Bearer of Generosity. I stepped past the crowd, getting a better perspective of the Bearer of Kindness.

The Bearer of Kindness was a tall and extremely thin woman. Her simple robes were a light green. She possessed no visible weapons, except the recurve bow on her back, and the accompanying quiver beside it. She wore a single thick leather glove on her right hand. Her hood was down, but I could still only see one teal eye, as her long pink hair covered the other. Her face was smooth and delicate. A face that did not seem to ever experience harshness.

"Oh, for the love of the Sun! Just get it over with, Fluttershy." The Bearer of Generosity moaned.

A small "eep" escaped from the Bearer of Kindness. She quickly recovered from her startled state and placed a thin finger to her chin.

"Um....Alright Rarity......Um...Twilight? Do you mind......holding her down against her will?" Fluttershy hesitantly asked.

"Wait? What!?" Rarity barely finished her scream when the Bearer of Magic and the physician clamped onto her arms.

"Her legs too." The Bearer of Kindness added.

Twilight looked over at me. She nodded her head towards the Bearer's legs. I walked over and grab Rarity's lifeless legs. I braced myself for whatever came next.

Fluttershy delicately removed her leather glove. I could see her right hand clearly. It was malformed and bore many gruesome scars. However, the hand's most notable feature was its faint yellow glow. She then proceeded to place the hand on Rarity's side, where the traitorous blade had entered.

"This is going to sting a little Rarity, I hope you will forgive me." Fluttershy uttered.

The next sound I heard was the painful screams from the injured Bearer. I looked at her face to see her eyes bulging out. Her temples' veins were swelling. Her body started jerking madly. The Bearer of Kindness kept her glowing hand on the wound. I heard the movement of bones and skin from within Rarity. The crowd of Assassins behind me gasped at this miracle. I felt her blood pumping through her veins. I struggled to keep her body to the table.

As quickly as it all started, it came to an end. The Bearer of Kindness removed her hand from the injury. Her hand was bloody and her scars reopened. She slowly halted the blood pressure in her wrist with her other hand. He eyes were shut tight. I could see silent tears flowing down her cheeks.

Fluttershy briskly exited the room, still holding her bleeding right hand. I returned my focus back on the Bearer of Generosity. She was panting heavily, her legs were twitching randomly. Twilight, the physician, and I released our grip on the Bearer. Not a soul in the room appeared to be joyful. The only sound was Rarity's breathing.

"Go check on her, Twilight. Make sure the dear is alright." Rarity said in a worried tone.

The Bearer of Magic was quick to obey. The gathered Assassins slowly return to their activities. I feel that my need here is done. I follow the other Assassins and leave the room. I headed towards my quarters. As I passed the Bearer quarters I heard Twilight's voice. Curiosity got the better of me. I stopped and placed my ear to the door.

"Don't worry Fluttershy. You did well today." Twilight said in a motherly voice.

"I know, Twilight. It.....It just hurts...." The Bearer of Kindness muttered.

"If it didn't, it would not be a true act of Kindness."

"I understand, Twilight. A Kind act is never true unless there is a sacrifice to pay. I....I just wish it wasn't so. My body and blood have been sacrificed enough. The pain in my hand never ceases. Why can't there just be peace? I've healed so many. Saved countless lives and families. Yet still so many have perished in front of me. This is all I have known since this cursed Element chose me."

"Do not speak like that Fluttershy," The Bearer of Magic said in a soft voice. "We fight for Harmony. All the pain we go through is not for us, but our future generations. Even if we fail, they may still remember our endeavors. Harmony is not easy to achieve. If it was, it would not be worth fighting for. That Element chose you because it believes you are the best to wield it. It's a blessing, not a curse."

"Is there a problem, Den Master?" I heard a voice behind me.

I turned to see the Bearer of Generosity glaring at me. Her sapphire eyes stared deep into mine. A scowl was on her immaculate face. Her left foot tapped the floor impatiently. Her hands were on her hips. My cheeks flared. My body tensed up as I began to comprehend the awkward situation. I then turned and quickly dismissed myself without a word.

"The audacity! Den Master, I simply cannot fathom why Twilight trusts you so much when you behave so rudely!" She shrieked at me as I walked away.

I retreated to my quarters. I slammed my fist into my desk. What was I thinking? Had I no restraint? I just prayed that the Bearer of Generosity does not report my behavior to Twilight. I certainly did not need to upset another Bearer. I sat down in my chair. Holding my head. Anger started to build up in me. I looked down at a blank paper in front of me. I forcefully picked up my quill and prepared to record another log.

As I was about to place the quill on the parchment I heard footsteps heading towards me. I placed the quill back on the desk and turned to see my guest. A black mask appeared out of the dark hallway and into my candlelit room. The wearer was boasting a confident stride.

"Hey Tavi, how's the day been? I haven't seen ya since you were napping on the roof." The inventor asked me.

"Oh just fine." I lied. I paused and then spoke again. "How about we go for a walk?"

Vinyl shrugged, "Whatever ya want, Tavi."


The sun had vanished behind the world. The moon was not present since the dark sky was cloudy. Vinyl and I casually walked on the Canterlot rooftops. Our steps were barely audible as we traveled in the dark city. By the lanterns I could spy stray dogs fighting in the alleyways, a lonely drunk sitting passed out on the side of the street, and a beggar pulling another rag over himself as he sought warmth. I took all this in with no regard for them.

"So Tavi, what's been troubling ya? You're not one to be active when you can rest."

"Oh Vinyl, it's just that I need some cool night air to relax my mind. It's better to so with company."

"Ah, I see. Now tell me girl, what has caused your mind to not be relaxed?"

I sighed in frustration. I seemed to not be able to hide my true thoughts from her tonight. I cast my gaze away from the inventor.

"Why did you join the Brotherhood Vinyl?

"I joined because I wanted to purpose. I wanted to contribute something to this world. I mean, life's so short, why not help the future when you can?"

After some silence I spoke up. "Do you belief that you have made the right choice?"

"Oh of course Tavi! I've never been better in my life."

"What if.......What if the Brotherhood is wrong?"

"Huh? How could it be wrong?"

"What if our Creed is false? What if Harmony is not right for this world?"

"Tavi! Don't start silly talk here! Harmony is the ultimate goal for humanity."

"We could be going about it the wrong way, Vinyl. I cannot see Harmony in killing."

"Oh now I see. You're having som' good ol' sadness from killing the mine owner earlier. Let me guess, he said some crap about his family and all? Pfft. They's always sayin' something like that. They try to get into your mind."

"What if it's true?"

"Oh I'm sure it is, but he made the wrong choice Tavi. He joined the filthy Templar! Society does not deserve men like that. Men that just want money and are willing to harm others for it."

"We are not much different from them Vinyl. We both harm and kill to gain influence in the Empire."

"You're wrong Octavia. The Templar kill for their selfish needs, we fight for our future's sake. We fight and kill for the freedom of the Empire. Templar can't gain control. Harmony will be utterly lost if they do."

We hopped onto another rooftop. A light sprinkle began to peck on our hoods. A slight breeze ruffled our robes. I continued the discussion.

"Is Harmony worth all this trouble? Will the future generations look at us and say 'those Assassins, those Assassins were the heroes of an era!'"

"That depends on the victor."

"Oh Vinyl, what makes our acts justified? What are we doing for this Empire?"

Vinyl stopped. Her black mask is barely visible in the darkness. "Den Master, we are protecting this Empire from Absolute Order. Absolute Order will destroy the ancient culture and prosperity that is Equestria. Absolute Order seems like a reasonable viewpoint, yes, but it has never worked. Look at the Shadow King Sombra. Half of his vast Crystal Empire is now barren and desolate. The slaves of his empire rebelled. They conquered him after a long revolution. They stormed his palace and buried his severed limbs in the snow. Equestria does not need this. The Empire needs to spread love, have individual freedom, and reasonable laws for their subjects. If we allow Absolute Order to reign, our home will collapse on itself. We.....I can't let this happen."

I stared into her purple lenses. I could not see her face, but I knew her eyes were staring right back at me. Her tone, proper punctuation of words, and addressing me as Den Master were highly unusual. I put my right fist to my chest and bowed.

"Thank you Vinyl, I needed some reassurance."

The inventor bowed back. "Anytime friend."

With our conversation ended, we started back to the South Den. Suddenly the inventor jumped off the roof and onto the street. I follow her. She heads over to a news wall. The wall had various images hammered onto it. The news reports contained no words on them. Their illustrations clearly told the tales. I spied one sketching with the burning train facility in the East District. I also spied wanted posters of many petty criminals. The one that Vinyl was studying portrayed a large sun.

"Well what do ya know Tavi. The Summer Sun Celebration is coming up! Man, the year just flies by don't they?"

I nodded in agreement. The Summer Sun Celebration is a substantial holiday. It celebrates the longest day in Equestria. The Two Sisters always have had a city-wide banquet at dawn. The entire Equestrian government will be present. It would be a pleasant party to attend. I turned back towards the Den, Vinyl closely followed me.

We arrived back at the Den. The place was quiet and no candles are lit. Vinyl and I carefully walk to our respected quarters. I did not want to awaken any Assassins who desired rest. I entered my quarters and sat down at my desk. The quill still rested where I left it. The blank paper beckoned me to write on it. My head swirls with the memories of today as I recorded them. I must stop writing here for now. I still have much to contemplate and I hope my dreams do me justice till dawn.

Adieu and goodnight.

~

Author's Note:

-Cheers for That!

PreviousChapters Next