• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 4,404 Views, 658 Comments

Harmony's Creed - Gapeagle



I am Den Master Octavia Melody. I write these words so that the future generations may remember our endeavors.

  • ...
15
 658
 4,404

PreviousChapters Next
The Epilogue

Well, I can write these words with decent handwriting. For two months I had been practicing my writing with my left hand. My right was bandaged for now and incapable of writing. In my attempt to keep my mind pure, I ordered Vinyl and the now disbanded Assassins to remove Valor from my hand. It was a messy and awfully done surgery. If it wasn't for all the alcohol I drank during that time, I am not sure if I would have made it through.

Now, I sat at my new desk in the Royal Palace. Valor was in a glass case to the right of me. I could still hear her voice, but it was faint and eerie. I asked other people if they could hear her, but all said no. I could only hope I was not becoming mad after all this. The only thing that was keeping me sane at the moment was my writing.

A lot changed since I last wrote. After Applejack and Fluttershy's death, I followed the Bearer's orders. I gathered all the remaining Assassins and told them that the Brotherhood no longer existed. I told them to carry on with their lives, try to become citizens. Most simply ran their separate ways, started their own adventures. Some joined the Royal Guard as special forces. Others simply disobeyed me. Chief among these particular Assassins was Vinyl. My friend denounced me almost instantly. She did not care about me being the highest ranking Assassin or the Bearers. She told me and the Brothers that the battle was not over. "As long as there are Templar, we fight!" she said. She called me a coward and said that I was no longer fit to be a Sister. The others joined with her and none backed me up. After they haphazardly removed my shard, they verbally told me to leave Ponyville. I did as they wanted.

So I left and went home to Canterlot. I first went to the South Den to not only dwell in the past, but to get any equipment that was in my room. After all this time, I gazed upon my cello. It had dust on every inch of it. It was terribly out of tune as well. I spent that afternoon tuning it and cleaning it. I returned it to its case and took it with me out of the abandoned Den.

That night, a wall-eyed messenger, who I lost the name of, told me to visit the Royal Gardens immediately. I was at a restaurant when she came up to me, so I was not far from the Gardens. To show that she was sincere, she handed me a letter that was sealed with Celestia's Sun. The Empress was summoning me. I quickly finished my meal and ran off with haste.

When I arrived there, there were only three people in the Gardens. Two of them were tall and had black cloaks on with hoods shrouding their heads. The third was Captain Trixie, who looked worried and nervous. They all glanced my way when I approached them. The tallest removed her hood to reveal that she was Celestia.

"Ah, there you are, Den Master." Celestia smiled at me. "I'm glad you made it."

"Your Highness." I bowed. "What brings you here? You have been unheard of in the past months."

"A necessary precaution." She said.

The other took her hood off to reveal Luna. "Greetings."

"Luna! But you're dead! You died in Sunset's fire!" I exclaimed.

"Don't be so loud." She chastised me. "I never died. Her flames could not touch me. After Twilight wounded me, I thought it best to keep myself alive rather than fight to the death."

"And she is still dead." Celestia told me. "Well, at least on paper."

"And as you see, I have not come out of it unscathed." She angled her face in the moonlight to reveal what looked like a monster. I saw fangs, slit eyes and a vile fork tongue. "This is my true form. My Nightmare form. It is a result from bearing Fear for this long. I cannot reveal myself again to the people. They will no longer love me."

"And the Templar will seek us if we do." Celestia said. "It is no longer safe for us, as Bearers of Wisdom and Fear, to continue ruling Equestria. It is better that we go into hiding and carry our Elements for eternity, out of the reach of man."

"But the people..."

"Will think that I killed myself upon hearing Luna's death." Celestia nodded. "That is why you are to witness what is happening here."

I blinked. "Which is?"

"I, Empress Celestia of Equestria, give my power to Trixie Lulamoon."

"What?" I exclaimed.

"Octavia, she has become my most trusted Captain after the battles at sea. She has matured greatly since you first met her. I have faith that she will do the best for her people. Since you are no longer with the Brotherhood, but retain the knowledge of shards and Elements, you shall be her advisor. Continue what we started. Make sure the shards stay out of the reach of the Templar."

I bowed. "I will do so, Your Highness."

Celestia turned to Trixie. "Trixie, I have confidence that you will make a great Empress. Just remember this: adhere to advice and always seek other paths and you shall be Wise. That is all you need to remember."

"Trixie will do her best. I will continue your legacy, Your Highness." Trixie bowed.

"Don't worry about my legacy. It's time to start your own." Celestia hugged the new ruler.

Trixie and I watched them leave in the shadows. It was the last time I ever saw the Two Sisters. It was a very quick goodbye. They were now meant to wander for the rest of their lives.

Empress Trixie took the throne the next day. She was met with boos rather than cheers. However, she never let them get to her. She ceased to refer to herself in third person and her quickness to anger was dealt with. Never had I seen a woman age so quickly.

We held a long ceremony for the death of the Two Sisters. Some demanded to see their bodies, but we kept the empty parade caskets closed. The whole Empire was in mourning. All of Canterlot flew Imperial flags. Celestia's Sun and Luna's Moon were painted on doors and windows. The whitewashed city was glistening with golds and dark blues. It was a patriotic scene.


Trixie leaned on my new desk with a sigh. Her royal regalia jiggled around her neck and the scepter she held in her hand was being twirled about like a toy. I wrote away on parchment. I was trying to act busy with my new duties as Imperial Advisor, but she knew I was writing my story again. She turned to me with a smirk.

"Aren't you busy?" She chuckled. "Writing your tales of glory?"

"I wish they were tales of glory." I replied. "However, all I seem to write is death."

"The events were tragic, truly. They have helped us both though. I did not become a real woman until I saw a pirate die for her friend. I never saw courage until I saw you and the Assassins. It was a humbling experience to be with you all. It saddens me that the Brotherhood no longer exists."

"As it does me. I don't even know why I write this anyway. My life should be a secret, unknown and unread. No one is going to read my life story."

"I'm not sure about that." Trixie mused. "I just hope you don't depict me in bad light."

"Too late." I laughed.

We shared a laugh and she patted me on the shoulder. I would consider us friends now, despite all the conflicts we had with each other in the past. Trixie uttered a goodbye and left for her chambers. The Royal Palace creaked with noise as she moved. The rebuilding of it was taking its time. Masons and carpenters were a constant as they tried to painstakingly put everything into place. Even my room, the largest room I ever owned, had scaffolding in it. Workers were trying to construct a chimney there, which was much needed at the moment. The chill of the early spring night made me wrap my cloak tighter around me.

I continued to write. It was all I ever did those days. Nights and days passed and I became more involved with the royalty. Nobles despised me since I lacked any noble blood myself, but Trixie stood by me at all times. Together we created a task force (named the Wonderbolts) to watch the Templar operations in Cloudsdale. The Templar were weak and leaderless, but we wanted to make sure they stayed that way. Trixie used Celestia's style of leadership to keep the nation moving. We kept the Night Watch and the Royal Guard like the Sisters did before. We wanted to keep their image in the Empire as long as we could.


My hand ached with my writing. I had burned through five quills already that evening. My right hand was never fully healed from the surgery, so I flexed my left wrist to relieve the ache. For the first time, I started to feel old. My bones burned at the joints and my digits lacked proper mobility. I was not old myself, only 32. My years as an Assassin had taken their toll on my young life. I had served the Assassins for over 14 years. I had killed countless men and women. I had fought in innumerable battles. I fought at sea and against magic. I saw my friends die and some fall to corruption. I already lived with enough action to fulfill 70 lifetimes.

I sighed and picked up the quill again. I was close to placing the final period on my life as an Assassin. Through many discarded papers and delays, I was coming so close. Here I was, writing my life's story while still living. When I was a mere cellist, playing for a bitpiece, I was so simple. I was so innocent and ignorant of the world around me. After that one night where I met Vinyl, my life was never the same.

I paused as I heard a window slide open. I assumed it was the wind and carried on writing. A small breeze went by my hair. This disturbance made me place the quill down. I felt a presence. In a quick action, I turned around in my chair to meet a black, menacing mask just inches from my nose. If I hadn't known better, I would have attacked the soulless mask, but instead, I sighed.

"Vinyl, you know how easy it is to startle me when I write."

"I remember." She replied.

"Now close the window, you're letting the cold air in."

"Wow, aren't ya grumpy?" She huffed as she closed the window. "So, how's it been being a royal quill pusher?"

"More exciting than you would believe." I said. "Vinyl, it's been a year since I last saw you. Why are you here?"

"Is that how to treat an old friend?" She asked mockingly. "Aren't ya suppose to hug me closely and tell me how you missed me?"

"I would, but my legs are losing strength."

"Ya need to get moving again, Tavi. Sitting in a chair everyday ain't gonna help ya."

"Will do."

"Ya in luck though, Tavi!" Vinyl giggled. "I'm here to get ya movin' again. Ya don't need to sit here all the time. Ya a trained Assassin. I think ya should return from retirement."

"I'm done with all that. And you should be too."

"How can I simply stop being an Assassin?" She asked. "I've been one most of my life. It's my nature now and you don't mess with nature."

"It's not your nature, it's the Chaos inside you. You're a full Survivor now. I even hear Discord's accent in your speech."

She crept closer to me. "But ain't that wonderful? Tavi, he's the best. The new Assassins and I have been having so much fun. You see, we aren't Assassins anymore, we are the Sons of Discord. We fight, not for Harmony, but for Chaos. Tavi, there must be Chaos to make sure Order does not succeed. The Templar are still out there and they growing. It's high time you joined the Sons and we will stop them like we did so many times before! Come on, for old time's sake?"

"No! I will not join you or Discord."

"The Lord of Chaos has called on you. He asked for you. Tavi, he is granting immortality. To live on forever! Come with me and we shall be best friends once more. Fight side by side like we used to. It's what friends do."

"Vinyl, no. I will not budge. You are no longer the Vinyl I knew. It pains me to say this, but we should part ways once more. I am no longer an Assassin. I have a new life to live now."

I could tell my words hurt Vinyl. She backed away from me and nodded in understanding. She must have been waiting for this moment. In the candlelight, she stood there like someone who just heard terrible news. Her arms went limp and her upright stance slouched.

"Vinyl, please remove the mask."

"Of course ya would ask that." Vinyl said as she took off her defining mask.

Her eyes were glowing red so brightly that her cheeks were illuminated by them. Looking at them hurt my own eyes. Her teeth were uneven and sharp, like that of a beast. Her other features were sharper and thinner. The only thing that remained the same was her electric blue hair.

"I must look like a monster to ya." She said.

"No, you look like Vinyl Scratch." I replied. "Vinyl...I missed you."

"I missed ya too, Tavi."

"Vinyl, did we live the best lives?"

"The best." She answered.

"And did it change?"

"It did."

"May it be remembered by both of us. Vinyl, this is goodbye. You will always be my friend, no matter what Discord does to you."

"Tavi, the Chaos is beautiful! Can't you hear it? Just run away with me! We'll be heroes once more..."

"No Vinyl, I will not come with you."

Tears began to roll out of her glowing eyes. "Then to whenever I see ya again."

"If we see each other again."

She put the mask back on and walked towards the window. Slowly, she opened it, letting the cold air back in. I watched her pause with one leg out the window. The next moment she ran back to me and took me out of the chair, embracing me in a tight, childish hug.

"I'll miss ya, ya old coot! Just tell me ya won't die sitting down in a bloody chair."

"I won't. I'll make sure I die swinging." I hugged her back.

"You better, cause I'll be there when you do!"

The words startled me, but there was no reason to be afraid. We hugged for several minutes and I enjoyed every second of it. When she finally released me, she wordlessly walked over to the window and took a Leap of Faith out of it. I was filled with grief. My legs burned and I stumbled over to the window, cursing with every step. I looked out of the window, trying to find where she could have landed. The darkness shrouded the ground far below me. I could not see my friend. That was the last time I ever saw Vinyl Scratch.

"Die swinging eh? I'll make sure of it!"


"Why were you so foolish?"

Empress Trixie gazed at the glass casket before her. Rows of fallen Royal Guards were lined up to be honored. A great skirmish happened with the Crystal Republic over a mining town on the border. It was a stupid reason to fight and both sides lost many good soldiers. It was a horrid day for Equestria and an even worse one for its ruler.

"Why did you enlist? What made you think you could still fight? You had a mangled right hand, diseased legs and had not face battle for almost two years. Why didn't I stop you?"

Trixie placed a hand on the glass. Inside was the beautiful face of Imperial Captain Octavia Melody. Her hands were crossed over her chest, holding her falchion sword. Her golden armor was clean and glistening. Her symbol, a treble clef, was on her right pauldron. The Assassin symbol was on her hidden blade bracers. Her eyes were shut in peace and her lips shut in silence. She was in her most regal and noble attire she ever wore.

"Of course you didn't want to live as an advisor. I understand. There's a call to battle and you listened. I just don't understand why you listened. Was it just your duty?"

There was no reply from the body.

"Octavia Melody, Den Master of the South Den, Heroic Assassin, User of Valor, Royal Advisor, Friend of the Empresses, Imperial Captain, and my only true friend, rest in peace. May death hold no troubles for you."

Up above them in the scaffolds of the Palace was Vinyl Scratch. Her mask gazed at her friend, unblinking. She was not angry, nor was she sad. The Chaos that flowed in her blood told her to be proud of Octavia. They had their run together in life. The separation was inevitable.

"Good night, Tavi. It's been a good one. May the Chaos guide your afterlife."


Yearling drank her cider in one gulp. The shady bar she was in was mostly quiet except for the loud TV in the corner. As always, it was on the news channel. On it was an anchor that was far too charming to be taken seriously. His hair, smile, and eyes contradicted the strange and forboding news he was covering.

"Police continue to track down the hooded vigilante. Police have confirmed that the vigilante is a woman. She should be considered armed and dangerous."

"I'm more than that, sweetheart." Yearling chuckled quietly.

"Haven't ya had enough?" The bartender asked harshly.

"Not really. I'm not even buzzed." She hiccuped.

"It's not that, ya just don't have the money."

"I'll pay it back." She shrugged.

"Come back when ya can. Now get out."

Yearling furrowed her brows at him, but did as he wanted. She popped her hood over her head and walked out into the cold Canterlot street. With no where else to go, she started walking down the street. The Canterlot slums were quiet this evening, unlike most. Yearling kept her hands in her pockets as she walked.

She took a turn onto another street where there was only one street light. At the base of the light's pole was a hooded figure, flipping a coin in the air repeatedly. Yearling readied the hidden blades under her sleeves and continued approaching the single light.

The figure glanced her way once before returning his attention to the coin. Yearling tried not to make eye contact as she passed. The figure stopped her with a voice. A gruff female voice.

"So, Yearling, how ya handling all this?" The figure asked.

"How do you know my name?"

"I know everythin' 'bout ya. You really helped those Bearers out."

"Are you Ahuizotl scum?"

"Me? Never. I'm actually against those foo's jus' like you. Ya did good putting the Elements back."

"How do you know this?"

"Cause I know a lot about this world. The shards, the Elements, all of it. It's kinda my business, ya know? I'm here offering ya a position on my team."

Yearling took a step toward the figure. "Who are you?"

"Someone who loves the theatrics and mystery." Was the answer. "But you do know who I am and you know who I work for."

"Have we met before? Was I drunk when we did?"

"We've never met in person. But you know me...well, you know some of me."

Yearling huffed. "Just answer. I don't have eternity."

The figure looked at her. She was wearing a black mask with purple soulless lenses. She slowly took off the mask, revealing glowing red eyes and blue hair. A sly chuckle left her pale lips.

"There's only one thing eternal, Miss Yearling, and that's Chaos."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

Thank you all again. This has been some ride.

*gives bow*


-Cheers for That!

PreviousChapters Next