• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 4,405 Views, 658 Comments

Harmony's Creed - Gapeagle



I am Den Master Octavia Melody. I write these words so that the future generations may remember our endeavors.

  • ...
15
 658
 4,405

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 5: Beneficial Acts

Chapter 5: Beneficial Acts

By Octavia Melody

Three days have passed since Rarity and I destroyed the train prototype. Operations in the South Den had been going at a slow pace as we awaited the Bearer of Kindness. Rarity had regained consciousness. All I heard from the physician's room was "I'm so pathetic," and other various wails. If the reason for her cries had not been so dire, I would have found it comical.

I headed outside. The Den was noisy and hyperactive. I believed that the lack of missions lately had given the South Den Assassins a mild case of "Cabin Fever." The Templar, most likely, had not slowed down their activities. I however, could not act on my own commands with a Bearer at my Den. So I must find a way to spend the time until summoned.


The sun was right above the world. It was slightly passed midday. The sky was clear and the birds sang out from the high towers. I laid on the roof of the Den, trying to take a pleasant nap. Vinyl walked up to me, blocking the warm sun. She bugged me about being "The Laziest Den Master in Equestria," but I ignored her comments and continued to rest. She gave up on me and jumped off the roof.

I smiled at her departure. I slid my hood father down my face to shield my eyes from the sun. I heard footsteps heading towards me again. Was Vinyl already attempting to get me up again? I would treat her with the same rudeness as before.

I heard the Bearer of Magic's voice. "You only sleep when you need it, Den Master."

Saying that I sprung up like a cat was an understatement. I swear that I could have stood up three times before the cat even had time to react. My eyes met hers. The magenta eyes looked back at me with annoyance. The Bearer's arms were crossed.

"Operations are up and running again. I am expecting the Bearer of Kindness, so I need you to help with West District's Den Master, Minuette. Our scouts have located a Templar mine owner in the northwest corner of the city. You should meet Den Master Minuette on the top of the Overton Tower. Remember our purpose Octavia, and silence this Templar offender."

I bowed and made my way to the west. The Overton Tower is the tallest tower in the West Canterlot District. It is made out of iron and not the usual stone. Hence the name "Overton" to describe its massive weight. The tower is not very elaborate like most of the colorful Canterlot towers. The entire structure is a dark gray with no fancy architecture. It is also known for its massive public pool to the west of it's base.

I climbed my way towards it. Striding along the rooftops at a steady pace. Hop over this. Swing on this. Jump over that. Tiptoe over there. Don't fall off. I could see the Canterlot natives bustling about as usual. None seemed to notice me. It seemed that I was like a transparent phantom to them. Run over that. Pull myself up onto that. Slide under that. Keep balanced. I ran by a large group of pigeons, scaring them and forcing them to take flight. Step on that. Avoid that. Turn sharply. Be more careful. The Overton Tower came into view. I altered my course slightly to head in the right direction. Run up that. tiptoe on that. Flip over that. Don't get cocky. I came to edge of the rooftops. The Tower's base is about a hundred meters in front of me. I turned around and slid myself down to the street, grabbing on windows and pools to slow my descent.

I slowly walked over the Tower's base. I glanced upwards. The top was barely visible. From this angle, the tower appeared to be trying to pierce the sun. Den Master Minuette could have picked an easier location to meet. I began my ascent. Unlike the pleasures of parkour, climbing towers was nothing more than a chore. I possess far more strength in my legs than I do in my arms. This did not stop me however, I am a Den Master, it would take far more to hinder me. After what seemed like hours, I finally pulled myself onto the tower's look-out platform. I panted and rested my hands on my hips.

"Ah, you're here Den Master! I'll let you rest for an iota of time and then we shall be off." A sweet voice called to me.

I looked to my right to see a tall hooded woman. The woman's hair were various shades of blue. Her robes were of a light blue with many purple sashes wrapped around her waist. A large black Assassin insignia seamed on the side of her hood. A metal plate protected her left shoulder. The other shoulder possessed a throwing knife holder. I could see the small metal grips protruding from behind her shoulder. Her purple sashes held two small axes. Small enough to be thrown and large enough to be standalone weapons. A black and gold sheath held a well-crafted sword. Probably acquired from some Templar nobleman. I digested all this information while her large blue eyes studied me.

"Our target is a Sir Rich of South Equestria. He is a mine owner for the Templar. Specifically iron and aluminum. The Templar make armor and weapons out of this. He gets plenty of money from it because the Templar never cease in their forging. Not only that, but he is making his business into a monopoly. If that happens, the Brotherhood may not be able to purchase the materials from innocent mine owners. If we kill him, his mine will need a new head, one we may have influence with. The greatest part of all this is that Sir Rich is right here in Canterlot. Our scouts have acquired intelligence that states he will be at a outdoors banquet at three. But this is a noblemen banquet, so there is likely to be many guards there."

I payed heed only to the last part. I had not a need for a reason to silence him other than him being a Templar. Except something seemed missing.

"Where is this banquet?" I asked.

"Follow me."

Minuette proceeded to walk to the west side of the tower. I looked down to see the large pool hundreds of feet below us. She placed herself on the railing and jumped off with her arms in a spread-eagle formation. I got on the railing. The height did not bother me. I am quite used to Leaps of Faith. I propelled myself off the tower. The water below was traveling towards me at an astounding pace. I placed my arms in front of my head. Angling my hands to form a point. I straightened out my body to be perpendicular to the ground. I touched the water at an extreme velocity. The water's surface broke as my hands pierced it. The next moment I was at the bottom of the deep pool. I casually swam up to the surface. I poked my head above the water and saw Canterlot folk, naked or in simple clothes, staring at me. I had intruded upon their bathes. I felt my cheeks warm up. I swam to the wall where Minuette waited for me. she offered a hand to me. I accepted the offer and she pulled me out of the pool. Both of our robes were drenched. Hopefully they will be dry by the time we get to the banquet.


By the time we arrived at the banquet, it had already commenced. Our arrival was later than I had hoped for. The Den Master's route to the location was winding and bizarre. I believed we could have made it to the banquet faster if we had simply walked. However all was not lost, we were here and our target was in view.

From the rooftop of the host's mansion, we could see the entire party. Noblewomen danced slowly with their respected fiancees or spouses. Some old men laughed and retold the tales of their glory days. Bards and musicians dully played from the corners. A familiar sight to me. Guards stood in the entryways, only allowing certain members to enter the banquet. Sir Rich sat on a bench with a lovely lady by his side. The man's hair was a shiny black. His garments were of fine quality. His body short but lean. He was drinking expensive wine from his large goblet.

Minuette looked over to me. "Alright. I'm going to in. You should stay up here and watch my back.

I nodded in acknowledgement. Even though we were of equal rank, this target was in her district. She had the honors of attempting first strike on the target.

Minuette silently jumped down into the party. She quickly became hidden as she blended in a cluster of chatting nobles. Sir Rich was still talking with the lady. The Den Master swiftly moved to another group, slowly getting closer to her target. When she was about ten meters away, she reached to her shoulder, grabbed a knife, and prepared to throw it. In a clean motion, the blade exited her hand and soared to its target. Her aim was off though, as the knife knocked the goblet out of Sir Rich's hand. The party became deathly silent. Every noble gawked at the Assassin. A muttered curse emitted from the Den Master's mouth. Sir Rich stared at her in utter fear.

"ASSASSIN! GET HER! KILL HER NOW!" He screamed.

Sir Rich scrabbled off the bench and ran out of the banquet. Minuette tried to follow but was interrupted by the guards. One of the guards swung his mace at the Den Master. She rolled away and then planted her sword deep into the guard's torso. I could clearly see the flash of the blade in the late afternoon sun.

"Give chase Den Master!" She shouted at me. "Don't let him escape!"

Go! I sprinted after the target, making sure not to lose him in the crowd. I followed him on the roofs to his left.

The chase was on.

I ran with all my might. I saw him push pedestrians out of his way. His instincts were carrying his legs far beyond their limit. Hop this. Get over that. Run. Run. Run. Tiptoe to there. Climb up that. Don't lose him! The Templar took a tight right turn. I leapt over the street and climbed back on the roofs. I could still see him running down the street. Faster! Faster! You Den Master! Don't you dare let him escape!

I hopped from roof to roof, bearing the grace and fury of an eagle. Go! Get the Templar! For Harmony! For the Creed! I slid down a ledge to another building. The building possessed a thin chimney. I tripped over on the protruding stone. Damnit! Bloody Hell! Get on your feet! Go Assassin! Fetch your prey! I quickly pulled myself up on my feet. Run! Hop over that. Swing on that. Run. Jump. Harder!

I regained some ground. Hurry! Step over that! Don't lose your balance! He still ran at top speed, avoiding the occasional horse or mule. His strides were becoming uneven. He must have been getting tired. I hopped over another street. I took to the sides of the buildings. Hopping on the market signs and the decks of homes. Guards noticed the commotion and yelled at me. They were nothing but noise to me. I was entirely focused on the mine owner. Faster! You're getting close! Hop! Jump! Swing!

I followed tightly to him. I swiftly ran on the roofs to his right, placing him in my shadow. He's close! Harder! Hop over this! Go! Run! Climb that! The mine owner continued to run in his hope of survival. The townsfolk were moving out of his way. The Templar made another right turn.

Wrong move.

I leaped straight off the roof. My body flew to the street. My blade was ready to intercept his moving body. The Templar glanced up at me. He could not stop himself. Our bodies collided. I digged my hidden blade deep into his chest. Blood splattered across the cobblestone street. The deed was done.

I held my blade in him. His breathing became heavy as he lost precious blood. The Canterlot citizens stared at the sight, some with hands to their mouths and others fleeing for their lives. The Templar looked at me with half-open eyes. His face contained a vicious glare.

"You proud Assassin?" He snarled. "What do you think this....will accomplish? Huh?! Answer me filth."

"It will accomplish Harmony, Templar. Rule is not meant to be in the hands of those who wish not to share it. You're death shall be a message to your Order. The Brotherhood is still as present as ever. We shall not let you take this Empire."

"Heh.....You think 'tis is....Harmony? What Harmony is there in this? Look around you.....You have only created Chaos. The townspeople are in utter fear. Human has turned on human. Will they be the next victim of your Brotherhood's crusade? Your 'Harmony' will let the people out to starve, to defend themselves.....No......I joined the Templar because I wanted to know that my daughter's future family is safe....Safe from terrorists like you. Curse you Assassin! My death will be your undoing!"

I stared into his dying eyes. "I bid you well in your afterlife."

The Templar's head keeled over. His soul was no longer apart of this world. I stood up and withdrew my blade. The townspeople were still around me. Though there was a familiar face in the crowd. I noticed Minuette walking over to me.

"Leave his damn corpse here. The street cleaners will deal with him."

"No Minuette." I picked up the Templar's body. "I shall dispose of him myself."

Minuette's face reflected a perplexed look and then bowed. "As you wish, Den Master."


I carried the body to the Waterfalls of Canterlot. A small river flows from the mountain top through the southern tip of the capital. The waterfall is the tallest in Equestria. I gently placed the corpse into the blue water. The steady current seized the body and pulled it off the mountain. Landing somewhere at the base of the mountain. It was the only thing I could think of to give him an honorable departure to the beyond.

I laid down near the edge of the falls and looked up, the sky was tinged pink with twilight. I then gazed off into the west, towards the sinking sun. I could fathom the peculiar feeling of pain for a Templar. Yet here I was, sulking in one's death. Though I was not in mourning. His final words repeated themselves in my mind. I had just ripped a family from their father.

I must get over this. I am a Den Master. I could not sulk at the death of an individual. Death will always surround me, whether it be one of my enemies or friends. Death is necessary for our cause. Harmony will only be triumphant when Absolute Order is demolished. When the Templar are demolished.

I stood up. The Bearer of Kindness could be at the Den. I slowly started walking to the north. My head was low and my face was solemn. Hopefully Vinyl would be there to cheer me up. I was quite ungrateful of her support. I needed to remember that I would still be a musician, begging for a bitpiece and a reason to live, if she didn't push me into the Brotherhood.

~

Author's Note:

Hey Guys! This was a fun chapter to write. My mind is getting better at forming ideas.

I also placed the music there for intensity. I hoped it work. I would like your take on the music.


Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it!

-Cheers for That!

PreviousChapters Next