• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 4,405 Views, 658 Comments

Harmony's Creed - Gapeagle



I am Den Master Octavia Melody. I write these words so that the future generations may remember our endeavors.

  • ...
15
 658
 4,405

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 26: Templar's Message

By Octavia Melody

I awoke with a kink in my neck. After writing, I had dozed off. I looked out of my small window. The sun was nowhere to be seen. With the windows facing west, it could have been late night or early morning. I stood up off my cot and stretched my neck and back. I heard my neck pop with my movement. My dark cell reminded me of my situation. My shackles told stories of my mistakes. I leaned back and sighed. I wanted to go back to sleep, but my body wasn't tired and my mind was restless. I grabbed the quill in the dark. Should I write? Should I do anything? What was there to write? The quill slid out of my hands and landed silently on the cot.

"Bloody Tartarus." I muttered.

I picked up the parchments I had written on. Was anyone going to read these? Why was I even keeping track of my life? These depressing questions were I all asked during the cold and dead night. I sprawled myself on the cot and waited. Waited for sunlight, waited for someone to talk to. I regretted leaving Fluttershy. Even though she was mad at me, I would rather have tolerated her lecture than have sat in the silence. I closed my eyes and waited.


The first being that met me was the sun. The morning rays did not touch me, but the light did fill my cell. I sighed in relief. Daylight meant people, people meant talking. Talking was what I needed. I sat up on my cot and listened. I could faintly hear the sound of armored Guards changing their shifts. Voices of the men filled the gloomy halls. I stood up and stretched my back. Inmates close by began to mutter in their morning reluctance. I walked over and leaned on the bars.

The large hall was empty except for one Royal Guard strutting down it. Since I had nothing else to inspect, I watched the Guard. He was shorter and much younger than most of his position. He waved at inmates as he passed by. As he approached, his face became rather familiar. His smile, his eyes, I had seen them before. My mind cycled through on who he could be. When I figured out who he was, it was too late. He had recognized me as well.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here?" He said mockingly.

"You don't have to be like that...." I mumbled.

"Of course I do. You placed me here. What was your name? Oh, I remember. It's Octavia."

I nodded. The young man walked right up to me and smiled. He was greatly amused by my capture. I couldn't blame him. He was arrested because of me.

"Flash......You don't have to rub it in."

"Yes, I do. I am here only because of you."

"You were the one that offered me the dance."

"Could I refuse a face like yours? Hmph. It taught me something. It taught me never to trust beautiful women."

I chuckled. "You should have known that years ago. Now....Why are you a Guard?"

He shrugged. "It was either life in the Old Dungeon or serve my sentence out as a Royal Guard. It was an easy choice."

"But you're a Senti. Your family didn't bail you out?"

"Ha! My family disowned me. No Olden Family is ever going to get their kid from prison."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Yeah, you better be. Well, at least they finally caught you." Flash pointed at my shackles.

"Yeah, they did, didn't they?"

"Never thought I'd hear that. A murderer that's glad she's caught?"

I sighed. "I deserve it. I brought this on myself."

He frowned. "That's rather pitiful."

"It is."

He placed a hand through the bars and onto my shoulder. "Well, if it means anything to you. I did enjoy the dance."

I simply nodded. He patted me with his armored hand and began to walk away. I stopped him.

"Flash, could you tell me anything about Trixie?" I asked.

"Heh, I don't think I should talk about my boss."

"Please?"

He sighed. "Well, she is a tough and confident woman. The Guards enjoy her as their leader. Captain Trixie is the only superior I know that actually cares for her men. Most just treat us as cannon fodder. She fights alongside us and she backs us up. If she ever becomes general, she'll still be on the battlefield and not in some tent behind the lines."

"Anything else about her?"

"Well, she made a long rant about Assassins and Templar last night after Fancy Pants' men came by...."

"Fancy Pants? For what?"

"He bought out the girl you shared cells with. Can't remember her name. Anyway, a few servants of the nobleman came by and took her. He had some money I'll tell you. The warden readily accepted. Trixie was pretty mad about it. She told the warden he was greedy and selfish. She wanted to keep the girl. Said something about her helping the Empire. I didn't really understand, I just thought she was angry."

I blinked at this. "Uhh....Thank you, Flash."

"Anytime?"

The Royal Guard walked away. I stroked my chin with a finger. Fluttershy was gone? Rarity's plan had worked after all. Wait, if Fluttershy was now back with the others, then she probably told them that I was here. She probably told them that I was searching for the Elements' truth. That I was working with a Templar to do so. I sighed. The pain of it all returned. Was I ever going to be forgiven by the Brotherhood? Wait, were they even going to come back for me? Was I going to die alone in here? Vinyl.....Vinyl said she would come after me. Where.....Where was she?

"Damn it all! Why did I listen to that Templar at the banquet? Why!?"

I rattled the bars of my iron door. I was angry with myself. If I had just accepted the Elements' odd existence, I wouldn't be here. By accepting a lie, I would have done better than searching for the truth. This twisted concept pulled and pushed me. Was that what it meant to be an Assassin? To not question and only seek what you want? Nothing is True. Everything is Permitted. Was there no truth with the Elements? Were all concepts about them accepted? This would mean there was no reason to seek out the real one. The real truth would only divide us. It was all the false ones that kept us together. Vinyl accepted that the Elements were mysterious, but they helped, so why even bother questioning them? I wanted the truth so that I could fight knowing that I was on the right side. The Elements were not the reason I joined the Brotherhood though. Harmony was not the reason I joined. It was Vinyl, and only her. Was I wrong to do this? Was my Loyalty to my friend so thick that it blinded me from picking the right choice? No. It wasn't. Vinyl was my friend. I had to be by her side. I had to fight alongside her.

My mind battled with itself for quite some time. The breakfast trays were given to all the prisoners and I hadn't even noticed. I was finally awaken from my deep thoughts when Trixie banged her armored arm on the iron door. I gave her an annoyed look.

"Trixie is here to ask you something, Assassin. Is Sir Fancy Pants an Assassin?"

I rolled my eyes. I really did not want to deal with the captain at the moment. "No, he is not."

"Then...Then why did he take Fluttershy?" She asked through gritted teeth.

"We asked him to."

Her already tight brows became tighter and she growled. "Trixie doesn't understand."

"We asked him to buy her out. Why do you care so much?"

"Trixie cares because Fluttershy's shard was incredible. I have never seen anything like it. The Two Sisters needed to know about it. Now she's gone due to the greed of the warden. It surprises me how easily corrupted my associates are."

"Really? If that surprises you, then you have no idea."

She crossed her arms. "No idea of what?"

"I was in Appleloosa, where I fought two Enforcers and General Silverstar. You know what they were? Templar."

"General Silverstar was not a Templar."

"Yes he was. His forces were nothing but Templar soldiers. The Empire is filled with Templar agents in their ranks. If you hate them so much, I'd suggest cleaning out your men before even thinking about assaulting the Brotherhood."

"I shall do it my way, Assassin. I do not need you telling me what to do. Besides, you're a dead woman walking."

I stood up. "What do you mean?"

"Lady Shimmer has confirmed that you shall be hanged. The execution will take place at noon tomorrow. The gallows are being readied as we speak. We like to give the people a chance to get the memo a day in advance."

"So you let that Templar win huh?"

"Lady Shimmer is a Templar yes, but she is also Empress Celestia's student. You have been charged with attempted murder on her and the murder of Sir Rich. Empress Luna could not see an alternative to you."

"Sir Rich was a Templar as well." I defended myself.

"Good for you. I could not care less. You kill Templar, Templar kill you, I kill you both. That is how it goes. I do not care about your death because you are an Assassin. You should not worry about Lady Shimmer because her time will come. A simple Imperial Captain cannot approach her, but a general can."

"So you are just going to rid all of us and get yourself promoted?"

"Trixie sees no other way. My duty is to the Empire, and this is how I shall accomplish it."

I glared at her. She smiled back at me. It was easy for her to taunt me such. I was a shackled prisoner and she was an armed Royal Guard. Oh, I wished I was out of my cell. I wanted to strangle her. I felt like she was involving herself in a war that was not hers. She did not know what the Templar were capable of, nor the Assassins. She was naive to think her army could stomp on us. All she was going to do was lose her men.

Trixie cleared her throat. "One more thing. Since you will be hanged, you must look your best. Equestrian tradition. So, what shall you wear?"

"Do you still have my Assassin robes?"

"The ones you came in? Yes."

"Those will do."

"As you wish."


I gazed out my window. The hours ticked by with the pace of a drunken snail. There was nothing much to see out of the window except the seemingly bottomless cliff under me. Since the Old Dungeon was underneath Canterlot, there was nothing underneath it. If one was afraid of heights, they would probably die of fright just by being in a cell. Despite this, it was still pleasant. The green valley stretched out as far as my eyes could see. I could make out the speck that was Ponyville from here. Ponyville.....What was it about Ponyville?

The Crystal Republic! Sunset Shimmer told me they were going to attack Ponyville. That's why I tried to kill her. How could I have forgotten? I could have told Fluttershy. She would be telling the others at this moment and the day may yet be saved. Oh, what a surprise! Another bloody folly of mine. Is this what prisons were for? To count every single error of your life? Might as well. I was....Am going to be hanged tomorrow. I should make peace with myself.

Yeah, that's about right. I, Octavia Bloody Melody should think about her time on this earth and reconcile. Sounds great, but how was I going to do this? I am stuck in this pitiful cell with an insane captain, an Enforcer, and a charming moron guarding me. Of course, the audience of true Den Master. A Den Master that had to rely on a hook to parkour, a Den Master that couldn't kill a Templar with a gun. What did this Den Master even do for the Brotherhood? That was the question she should have sought. Not the Elements but her bloody self.

I stopped my rant and the quill scratched the parchment. What was I expecting of this? Good feelings? The true question was did I do my best? I could easily say yes. Did I make the right choice? I could not answer that. It was Vinyl. It was all Vinyl. Was I blaming her? No, it was still my decision. I started to hear her voice in my head. I missed her. I heard the words that she said in Appleloosa, when I was nursing her wound.

We lived the best life.

The very best.

Why did it change?

Why did it change me?


Night had fallen and the sound of Guards dissipated. My eyes barely stayed open. I had been writing all day, but most of my work laid in little pieces as I ripped my writings apart. One of the Guards warned me that they weren't going to give me anymore parchment, so I was going to make use of this last one. I had to, because this would be the last one of my life.

I stood up and started pacing around my cell, the shackles making noise with every movement. I was contemplating on what I should write. This was my last log. I needed to end it off somehow. I thought about sharing my views, but I didn't want to venture back in the Tartarus of my mistakes. I continued pacing. I was startled when I heard footsteps approaching.

I turned to see a woman in Assassin robes facing me from the other side of the iron doors. I knew who it was instantly and my heart swelled in anger. Even in the darkness, I could make out the Templar cross on her hood. Spitfire faced me in silence; all I could see was the whites of her eyes.

"Why are you here?"

"I....I wanted to tell you something." She stammered.

I blinked. This was not Spitfire's usual confidence. She sounded guilty of something. I walked over to the bars and looked into her eyes. She averted her gaze to ground.

"Well, what is it? I already know that I'm being hanged." I told the traitor.

"It's.....It's not that. It's....more personal."

"Ha! Like I can anything personal with you."

"You know, I sided with the Templar because I wanted to help Cloudsdale. I wanted to save my home. They manipulated me and I knew it too. I stay with the Templar now to uphold my Honor to them and myself. I fight and.....and kill for them. Never think that I am ruthless."

"You have proven yourself to be ruthless many times."

"That's the Assassin side of me. I kill, but I only kill if necessary. I will never torture anyone. Do you believe me?"

"No."

"So be it. Now this wasn't.....wasn't why I am here. I wanted to tell you something."

"Then tell me and leave."

She took a deep breath and reached behind her. She revealed a bloodied black mask. A mask with no features except two purple lenses. The Templar handed me the mask. I was speechless. My body began to take only shallow breaths. My head was light and I had to lean on the wall to retain balance. I felt like fainting.

Spitfire swallowed. "She fought well. She fought bravely. I had no other choice."

"What....What was Vinyl doing?"

"She was trying to free you." She tapped her sword. "I....I thought you should know. I...know the pain of loss."

"Go away."

"Yes, Octavia."

Spitfire turned and left. I simply stared at the mask. Vinyl......Vinyl why did you do this? Why did you keep your promise? You got yourself killed. You got yourself killed by a Templar. I couldn't control my body. Tears began to stream down on the black mask. My hands began to wipe away the blood with the salty liquid. My sadness turned to anger and I screamed at the Templar.

"Damn you Spitfire! Damn you and all your Order!"

I knew the curse was useless. It was as useless as this war. It was useless as my promise to Vinyl. My promise to not let anything happen to her. To be at her side when something did happen to her. I did neither. I did bloody neither! My whole purpose in my life was gone! Gone like that! Bring on the hanging! I had no reason to live. None. My body became limp and I fell on the cold floor. I picked up the mask and inspected it.

This was her identity. She wore it everywhere. Now her body will rot on whatever street she died on without it. She was a true Assassin. She fought for the Creed. She found her way in the Brotherhood alone. Not like me who was introduced in it. She wanted to help the world, I only wanted only to protect her from the world; I was here because of myself. Why did she come after me? She was my only friend, that's why. I would have done the same. Now I had no friends and certainly no allies. The only one who did not detest my existence was no more.

No more.....

Adieu a final time. May the afterlife be peace for me....


Vinyl's Friend,

Octavia Melody

~

Author's Note:

I felt like a punching bag writing this....

Phase 1 of Harmony's Creed is complete.

Phase 2 inbound. (though, I'm taking a slight break from my minigun of chapters)

PreviousChapters Next