• Published 2nd Sep 2014
  • 4,405 Views, 658 Comments

Harmony's Creed - Gapeagle



I am Den Master Octavia Melody. I write these words so that the future generations may remember our endeavors.

  • ...
15
 658
 4,405

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 9: Unfamiliar Lands

Chapter 9: Unfamiliar Lands

By Octavia Melody


I quickly packed my few belongings along with my writing equipment and headed outside. Two horses and a mule awaited Twilight and me. Beside a horse stood Spike bearing a determined look as he inspected a long checklist. The mule already possessed the Bearer of Magic's gear. I placed my gear on the mule. My eyes caught Twilight exiting the Den.

"Did we get everything Spike? Alright. Let us be off."

The Bearer hopped onto her horse. She then extended a hand to her assistant and lifted him on the horse. Apparently he was coming along with us. The boy was small enough to sit in front of the Bearer on their saddle. I jumped on the other horse. As we begun to trot off, we heard a scream behind us.

"STOOOOPPPP! I'm coming too!"

I glanced back to see Vinyl running towards us. My eyebrows tightened at this delayment. I looked over at the Bearer. She was chuckling at the scene. I yelled back at her.

"Vinyl, please! You can't come. You have to watch over the Den."

"Naw Tavi! I ain't doin' that! I can't just let you go off to a place like Appleloosa without your best friend. I mean, you know ya need me."

"Ugh. Vinyl you don't even have a horse. You can't just walk the entire way there. The distance is way too far."

At this the inventor paused. She started to madly rub her chin in thought. Her head lifted up and she began inspecting the area. Her eyes saw something pleasing and brightened. I looked in the direction of her gaze. There was an old merchant riding an elegant brown horse down the street. I moaned at what to expect.

"Vinyl, you cant...."

"Too late! Be righ' back ya'll!"

She pulled her black mask over her face and sprinted over to the merchant. She patted the merchant's leg when she reached him. The merchant is then pulled right off his horse by the inventor, who quickly replaced him as the rider. She then lightly trotted towards us.

"Piece of cake. Well? Let's go."

The Bearer of Magic and her assistant had apparently found the whole thing amusing as they chuckled at the merchant's misfortune. Twilight then snapped the reins as she urged her horse to move forward and I followed closely behind with Vinyl riding her stolen horse next to me, a wide grin on her face. I was conflicted on whether to slap my friend or congratulate her.


As we made our way down the spiraling trail leading towards the base of the mountain, I began to feel anxious as I have never traveled this far out of the city before. The sight and sensation of the rugged trails only added to my growing anxiety but the view it gave me was spectacular as I could see the the verdant green valley below where Ponyville rested.

The Bearer of Magic informed us that we were planning to spend the night in Ponyville and leave the next morning accompanied by the Bearer of Honesty who was stationed there. The Bearer of Laughter is also in Ponyville, but she was not coming with us to Appleloosa. The shy boy in our pack began to speak up in a worried tone.

"Does....does that mean we have to go through....the Everfree Forest?"

Twilight nodded. "Yes, Spike. Do not fret; the Everfree is not as dangerous as everyone makes it out to be."

The Everfree Forest. It is an infamous region of the Empire. It is just south of Ponyville and north of Appleloosa. The forest is inhabited by strange creatures such as cragadiles, manticores, and hydra. But these do not bother me, what my mind does fear are the Everfree's human inhabitants. The Lunar Cultists. Wildmen that raid and pillage travelers in the name of their moon goddess, Nightmare Moon. We do not know if they actually believe in such a deity, but they do create large stone shrines to her throughout the Everfree area. And they have been rather successful in their raids, as their cult's name is known throughout the Empire.

Vinyl piped up. "You guys will be fine. Ya got me with you."

"You'll not that much of a fighter Vinyl."

"Hmph. Tavi, I fought quite a bit before you were in the Brotherhood. I could be....a lil' rusty.....maybe..."

We rode through a short tunnel. The trail was as steep as ever. The harsh road made me wonder how Canterlot is such a rich city. Due to the horrible roads we traveled on, it seemed that the only option to get goods into the city was by way of an aircraft. Although, I could have been simply underestimating the traders and merchants who take the long trek up the mountain. My wandering mind was snapped back to reality by Twilight's voice.

"Now, be careful in what you say around the Bearer of Honesty, especially anything about the Empire or the Sisters. She is not exactly fond of them. Applejack has a temper, I do not want to see it aggravated."

We nodded in affirmation. I had never met the Bearer of Honesty or the Bearer of Laughter before. So I did not know why the Bearer of Honesty would be this way. But I could trust Twilight's words. I hoped to not make any mistakes when we were in Ponyville. I wrote a mental note to keep my mouth shut in Ponyville until I knew who the Bearers were.


By the time we reached the base of the mountain, the sun was low on the western hills. The journey down the mountain had been long and tedious. With the light left in the day, I could see a walled village in the distance. Vinyl rode beside me half-awake. Her head lowered in sleep only to be quickly raised back to its original position. Spike's low snores could be heard from Twilight's horse.

The land was much different. The usual sound of hooves on dirt and rock is replaced with the ruffle of grass and leaves. The air was humid and hot. Few trees surround us as we approach a river. A large bridge arched over it. My eyes followed the river upstream and noticed that it was the same river that sliced through southern Canterlot. My mind filled with the memories of the mine owner. His body must have landed around here. We crossed the river and approached the village.

I could see the village was surrounded by a short stone wall with watchtowers in the corners. Orchards stretched as far as the eye can see towards the west. To the direct south, across the river, was a thick line of horrid moss covered trees. I assumed that this is the Everfree. It is closer to the village than I expected. The gates opened as we approach. The gates revealedl a hooded figure waiting for us.

"Bout time ya got here Twi. Ah was just startin' to worry about ya." The figure said in a rugged accent.

"Well I'm here Applejack. And I brought some company with me." The Bearer responded with a friendly smile.

When we entered the walls, the gates closed behind us with a loud thud. I now could see the entirety of the village. The village homes were mostly two-storied houses with thatched roofs. There were no streets, mainly large openings between the houses. In the middle of the village was large gazebo like structure. A pole extended from its top. The pole was flying a white flag with a black Brotherhood insignia.

My attention moved to the Bearer of Honesty. She was tall, fit, and oddly muscular for a woman. Her blonde hair was tied haphazardly in a ponytail that hangs out of her hood. She did not possess a graceful body like mine or Rarity's. Though, her robes did not help her in this. Her robes, if one could call them that, were mostly comprised of armor. Her arms, legs and chest are covered in red and orange Equestrian steel. This made her look more like a Templar than an Assassin. She did not wield a wrist blade either. Her obvious weapon of choice was the large two-headed axe that was slung on her back.

The Bearer of Honesty gave Twilight a tight hug, lifting her in the air. I hear Twilight gasp at being clutched in the large woman's might.

"Nice to see ya Twi! We got everythang here ready for ya. A meal, a bed, and plenty of cider, freshly made."

"Hehe.....Nice to see you too, Applejack....could you....please put me down!"

"Oh." She placed Twilight back on the ground

"Last time I was here, there wasn't a wall. And so.....well constructed. You guys work fast."

"Oh that? Well, the Everfree is jus' gettin' a little too personal with us. So, we built this here wall. Gotta keep them monsters out and it works for the Templar too! C'mon, Pinkie's waiting for us at the Den"

The Bearer of Honesty then beckoned us to follow. The village did not share the bustling activity like the capital. Instead, it seemed to carry a more laid-back tone. The village was quiet and solemn. I saw civilians and Assassins calmly talking with each other. A lonely musician plucked at the strings on his instrument, a satisfied smile on his face. A blacksmith and his apprentice worked on a plate of steel, hammering it into shape. The sun had set and the town is only lit by various newly developed gas-powered lanterns.

The Bearer of Honesty led us further into the village. Vinyl was still fighting her body's will to sleep. I found it humorous as she lost balance in her battle. She did not mind my giggles, as I think she was too preoccupied to heed them.

"Well, here are. The Ponyville Den!" Applejack announced to us.

The Den was an oddly shaped building. It was by far the largest structure in the village, even larger than the gazebo. It was completely wooden with many extensions branching out of it. It possessed the form of a man-made tree. The Bearer of Honesty led us inside through its red double doors. The inside was just as peculiar. The Den seemed more like one massive room, far more massive than one would think from the outside. However, I soon saw stairs leading upward and another leading downward. The walls were aligned with books. The center of the room sat a large wooden horse head, probably symbolizing the name of the village it is located in.

"Who is the Den Master here?" Vinyl asked the Bearer of Honesty.

"Ain't none. Assassins of Den Master quality are usually sent out into Equestria. Where they are needed."

Twilight piped up. "Oh! I remember this place. I am ashamed that I did not recognize this place before." She runs over to the wall and picks a book up off its shelf. "I mean, look at this history! Oh. I wouldn't mind living in a place like this." Her little antics reminded me of a girl with a new doll. Suddenly, a high-pitched voice filled the Den.

"IS THAT THE VOICE OF SUPER-DUPER TWILIGHT?!?!"

The Bearer of Magic was then tackled by a pink and white blur. Twilight was slammed into the wall by the attacker. The assault knocked off many books from their resting places. I tensed up at the sight of the tackle. Applejack chuckled at this and gestured for me to calm down.

"Don't ya mind, Den Master. It's jus' the Bearer of Laughter."

"Uhh....Pinkie.....that is the most painful tackle yet...." Twilight moans.

The Bearer of Laughter giggled and hoisted Twilight on her feet. The Bearer of Laughter was an average sized woman with bouncy pink hair. The Bearer's large eyes were a light blue. Her robes were of Assassin white, but they did not look fashioned for combat but instead more for a teacher. A large grin stretched itself across her face.

"Aw! Twilight! I missed you SO! I'm just so glad to see you!" Pinkie hugged the Bearer of Magic.

"Hehe....Alright Pinkie. We have some other guest here. Would you like to welcome them too?"

The Bearer of Laughter performed shockingly long gasp. Her blue eyes turned towards Vinyl and me. The next moment, we were both pinned to the ground by the pink-haired woman.

"Oh! It's soooo nice to me you. I'm Pinkie Pie." Her happy tone changed into a darker one. "Don't you ever refer to me as 'Bearer.' Alright? I mean it...." Her voice then returned to its original tone. "Hehehe. C'mon. C'mon. Tell me your names, friends!"

Vinyl was the first to respond. "Uh....my...my name is...uh...Vinyl." The inventor then looked over to me expectantly.

"Gah. My n-name i-is Den Master Octavia Melody." I stammered.

The Bearer of Laughter looked at me with an eyebrow raised. "You didn't need the rank in there Octi." She told me in a matter-of-fact way. The Beare- "Hey what did I say Octi? Hmm?" Pinkie then looked over and spied Spike and waved cheerfully. "Oh, hi Spike." The boy silently waved back.

I glanced at Vinyl. The expression on her face was of both confusion and worry. I could not help but chuckle at it. This drew the attention of the woman sitting on us.

"Well, I accomplished something." She said rather absently. She then sprung up and helped us both on our feet.

The Bearer of Honesty whistled to get everyone's attention. "We got a meal to atten'. I mean, it's still the Summer Sun Celebration righ'? C'mon let's go."


We sat around a large bonfire outside the den. Benches, logs, tables, stumps, and other improvised furniture surrounded us. Assassins sat by and around the fire to chatter, drink cider, or eat pork. The cider, I found out, was not alcoholic. Applejack explained that this night was an exception to the usual hard cider since they must leave early in the morning. No one was allowed to become intoxicated tonight. That, however, did not slow down the party. Assassins danced and sung Brotherhood chanties around the fire. Vinyl was off participating in these activities as I watched from my stump. The Bearer of Honesty pulled up her own stump and slouched next to me.

"Well, Den Master, you don't seem to be enjoyin' yourself tonight." She told me.

"I eagerly await tomorrow, Bearer. I cannot get my mind off of the near future." I responded.

"Hmph. Don't ya worry none. My cousin is doin' fine down there. He's a mighty fine warrior, Ah mean he was born into the Brotherhood."

"Really?"

"Heck yeah. And so was Ah. Unlike the other Bearers, Ah never had a life outside the Brotherhood. All Apples are born into it."

"I thought you were a farmer."

"Ah was and still am. The Apples are farmers. When we are young, we work in the field until we're strong enough to fight. When we gets to old, we head back to the farm. Ah keep returnin' to my farm cause Ah'm scared to leave it. Ah don't trust my youn' sister and Granny Smith to take care of the orchards."

Our attention turned to a small girl in white robes. She was far too young to be an Assassin. Her curly hair appeared to be several shades of pink, her bright green eyes looked at Applejack, who she was holding a jug of cider to. "Here is your cider Bearer." She said in an adorable voice.

"Well thanks Sweetie. That's mighty nice of ya." The Bearer smiled at her. A light blush appeared on the girl's face. She bowed and walked off.

"Is she one of you family?" I asked Applejack.

"What? Nope. She's from Canterlot actually, got sent down here to be a Disciple."

"Disciple? Why haven't I heard of that rank?"

"It's new. The Brotherhood needs more people in it. So, we are startin' them younger than ever. So Disciples are basically Assassins in trainin'."

"That seems rather sad."

"Maybe." Was her only response.

The Bearer of Honesty stood up and left. I too get up from my stump and began to walk around the party. I did not have a specific location I wanted to go, so I just watched the Assassins as I wandered. I spied Vinyl boasting to some Brothers about one of her heroic tales. Twilight was hunched in a corner quietly talking to Spike. She was checking all of her pistols and ammunition. I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"HEY Octi! Why so sad? Hmm. Wait. Don't answer that. I don't need to know. So how is Canterlot? Is it fun? I've never been there actually. I've spend my whole life down in this valley. You know how BORING that can be? I mean....wow! Never seeing the Empire? You must be so lucky! Traveling on such adventures like this! Wait.....no...You're not lucky. Not one bit."

"How am I not lucky Bea...I mean Pinkie?" I hesitantly asked the woman in now in front of me.

"For Real? Hmm. Look at you! You're a fighter! What fun is there in that? Yeah that's right, nothing!"

"One can enjoy battle." I corrected her.

Her smile faded. She shook her head furiously. "No. No. Nononononono. You see, one can enjoy battle only if they win. Only if they take the life away from the loser. This is not true enjoyment, but instead are simply instincts."

"You're in the Brotherhood. How can you not like fighting?"

"Ha. Don't be a silly-filly Octi! The Brotherhood is not simply some fighter's guild. Look around you. It's family. Family that is willing to fight for Harmony, yes, but we are more of a movement to this modern society. We move to a society that has all the Elements established in it."

"I do not understand."

Pinkie looked over at a table gestured me to sit down. I obeyed. After she joined me at the table, she stared at me intensely.

"You see Octi, there are six Elements: Loyalty, Kindness, Honesty, Generosity, Laughter, and Magic. These Elements are required to complete Harmony. Nothing more, nothing less. To create Harmony, one must be Loyal. They must never abandon anyone that they choose to care about. You never give up on them even when they make the wrong choices. You support them through their trials. However, you must also be willing to show them their wrong ways. It's harsh, but it's good for them. Loyalty has nothing to do with obedience like most think. To create Harmony, one must have Kindness. Now most would think that Kindness is simply acting nice, but it's more than that. To be a Kind act, one must sacrifice something in their act. Opening a door for a lady isn't Kind, that is simply proper etiquette. A Kind act is more like sharing limited food. You give up your own food so that they can be fed. That means you'll go hungry so that they won't. Catch what I'm saying? Huh? Yeah. Now Honesty. Yadda yadda don't tell lies. No, once again, it's more than that. It's being reliable. It's you keeping promises. It's about telling your friend what they really are. You don't ignore their bad behavior just to keep them happy. You tell them that they are wrong. If you lose them as friends, well, they weren't your friends to begin with. Generosity is a tough one to explain, as it is close to Kindness. However, this one deals with your possessions. You must be willing to give everything. Not only your materials but your body and soul. You must be willing to throw yourself out there for a cause you believe in. Laughter. Hehe. This is where I come in. Oh wait. You know that. WELL, Laughter is more than just laughing. It is the keeping up of morale. One must be able to lift up someone's spirit even if they themselves are not happy. Help them make it through the day. 'A smile makes life worthwhile' as I like to say. Now finally, Magic. The one that binds it all together. That bondage is known as Friendship. Only when all the other Elements are present, can Friendship be created. And it is the most powerful force in this world. Without Friendship, the Fires of Loyalty, the Healing of Kindness, the Strength of Honesty, Giving of Generosity, and the Fruits of Laughter will not work. That's why it is known as Magic. Now, where in ALL that, is where the fighting and killing comes in?"

I sat back and pondered all of this. I did not expect such insight from a pink-haired woman who was bent on making others laugh. "I understand, Pinkie. How did you learn all this?" I asked, not knowing what else to say.

"Made it up." She casually shrugged.

The last sentence from Pinkie left me in great confusion. After a long and almost unbearable silence, I asked another question to continue the conversation.

"How is it being a, you know, a Bearer?"

"Hmmm..." She mused. "Eh....Oh I'll just show you."

Pinkie began unbuttoning her robes. I started to squirm in my sit as she started to expose herself. She pulled her robes slightly down to reveal her chest. There, between her breasts, right where the heart would be, protruded a blue pulsing crystal. She calmly tapped the crystal to create a low hollow noise. She giggled at the sound.

"Is....Is that the...."

"Element of Laughter? Yup. You see, we're called Bearers for a reason. So gotta bear something. And that something is a crystal in place of your heart." She told me in an inappropriately happy tone. She then buttoned up her robes.

"Why haven't I known this?" I asked.

"Oh.....You know....The others reeeealllly don't like to talk about it."

"Was it painful?"

"Hehe. Unbearably! But it's all for a good cause right? I rather have gone through the pain and be chosen, then NOT be chosen and NOT go through the pain."

"Good cause?! How....How can you deal with that?" I slightly raised my voice.

"Because I know it's all worthwhile. I know that Absolute Order is wrong. There is NO fun in Order OK? Now, I know that the Brotherhood could have done a tinsey bit better in how they spread Harmony, but Harmony is being spread nonetheless. I can't add to the bloodshed because, not only do I faint at the sight of blood, I also cannot commit an act that hurts another. I can't kill a Templar because there will be someone in the world who will grieve the loss of his life, I just...I just can't do that. I cannot lift someone's morale while destroying the other. So that's why I don't fight. I instead teach the Disciples our Creed, Cheerilee teaches the fighting though. But yes we can 'deal with it' simply because our minds are bent on succeeding. It's going to be rough, but this is for our future generations, not us."

"If you cannot harm morale, then why tell me these things? It seems that my ignorance on these subjects help me cope with situations better than the harsh reality that comes with the knowledge." I asked after some silence.

"Octi, you're so silly! You're not sad because of the things I told you. It's the complete opposite. You see, I have riled you up for action. You are more confident in your purpose than ever. I have raised your morale. You may think you're sad because of these things, but really, you're just more willing to complete your task. My job isn't just to laugh remember? Don't worry, it's a strange concept I know. Trust me! I know. But just remember that the easiest person to lie to is yourself. Yawn, I need some more cider after all this talking."

With that, Pinkie stood up, stretched, and departed. I sat there remembering her words. I had been in the Brotherhood for many years, but yet I still did not know half of it. Our Creed sounded so simple, but it was vast in meaning. The Elements' purpose are far greater than leading us to victory over the Templar. They seemed to be more entwined with daily life. As I pondered these things, Vinyl flopped down on Pinkie's former chair.

"Hey Tavi. Been a fun night huh? Tavi?"

I snapped back to reality. "Oh hello Vinyl. My mind just had some.....points of concern it needed to address."

"Seems like it does that a lot." She replied. "Maybe you should ge' some sleep Tavi, the next morning isn't gonna be kind to us."


I have taken Vinyl's advice. I sit here in the Den's sleeping quarters as I write this. The day, once again, has been long. I have participated in two Summer Sun Celebrations today. Hmm. By this time I have forgotten about the morning. I wonder how my Den is holding up with the Bearer of Generosity at its helm. I hope she does not add too many decorations to it. I am quite fond of its simplicity. My mind grows weary. I must end my writing here. The dawn will come soon enough and with it, a journey through the Everfree and the arrival in Appleloosa. I must be as vigilant as possible tomorrow. I need my rest.

Adieu and goodnight.

~

Author's Note:

Hey Guys.....wow.....massive chapter right? Blame the Bear-I mean Pinkie.

This is probably the most fun I've had writing this chapter. No action, but hey, my mind can run around with the Creed and such.

Thanks for the feedback (I mean it guys, give it to me. TELLMETELLMETELLMETELLLME!) guys and let's go to Appleloosa!

-Cheers for That!

PreviousChapters Next