• Published 3rd Sep 2014
  • 7,440 Views, 591 Comments

Full Moon Fever: A MoonLight Prompt Collab - TheLastBrunnenG



Sundown and Midnight, Stars and Moon, Magic and Dark Dreams

  • ...
30
 591
 7,440

PreviousChapters Next
83 Storytelling by Kean

Storytelling
by Kean

Sequel to Cold, final entry in the "Pact" series


Twilight held her breath, feeling waves of magic flow over her face. She released a frustrated growl as the magic seemed to just slide off instead of taking hold. “It’s been weeks.” She kicked at the floor, scuffing the wood. “No matter what we’ve tried, nothing works,” She moaned, hanging her head. “I can’t even hide it behind illusions; they fade as quickly as I can cast them.”

“The gods will not be cheated of your sacrifice so easily, Twilight.”

Twilight scoffed at Nightmare’s remark, choosing instead to begin pacing an already well-worn path and continuing to talk to herself. “I could bind my sight to an object… no, I tried that with an illusion already. When I tried transformation for the first time, I could see for a moment, right?” Nightmare knew well enough that she wasn’t actually asking her. “But that would mean constantly transforming just my eyes. Requires too much focus; too much magic… Maybe there’s a loophole, or some way out of the pact…”

She stopped her pacing, feeling anxiety well up inside Nightmare. She faced the alicorn, her confusion evident on her face, if not through their connection. “What? What do you know?”

An image of gold and sapphire flashed through her mind before Nightmare could reel it back. “I… come. Sit,” Nightmare said with a sigh. Carefully, Twilight approached the divan where Nightmare sat, the layout of the library’s main floor burned into her mind through constant trial-and-error navigation.

Five paces forward, divan is just below chest, lift up- no, that’s Nightmare. As soon as she situated herself, she felt Nightmare tentatively lay a wing over her withers. She suppressed a giggle when Nightmare tensed at her leaning against the larger mare. Still, she frowned as the wing tight4ened slightly around her, Nightmare’s anxiety only becoming more apparent.

“I do know of a way to return you sight. I was wary to tell you because you may find the means unacceptable.” She paused and Twilight felt her shift uncomfortably. “No, that is a lie. I fear that you will find them acceptable.”

“What, would I have to replace my eyes with somepony else’s?” Twilight chuckled. “I already thought of that, and no, I won’t be doing that.”

“It is far simpler than that, I’m afraid. Tell me, do you know of the first dragon bound solely to the land?”

Silence fell while Twilight relaxed further against Nightmare, sifting through her memories. “Yeah, it’s a foal’s story. The dragon was greedy, scavenging and pillaging any gold or items that had value for its hoard until it crossed the wrong pony and had its wings taken from it and its hoard all but destroyed. It’s meant to teach foals the dangers of avarice. But it’s just a story; a legend.”

“Oh? And I suppose Luna and I are just legends as well?”

“That’s different. Your story was based on… wait, are you saying that it’s true?”

“Well, no. Not entirely as you have been told, at least. Many legends have some truth to them. All started with the proper wording, emotions, and inflections, but as they were passed down orally to the young, much was lost until only the core remained. In this case, only that a dragon made a mistake and lost its wings was retained.”

“But how would you know? You couldn’t have-“The gold and sapphire image filled her mind again, this time in focus; detailed: A dragon, shimmering in the fading sunlight flooding a cave. Its maw a shining gold, long, crystalline sapphires extending up from its upper jaw as if they were a crown. Every golden scale, tipped with sapphire, and embedded with gems along its lithe, powerful body shimmered. Behind each shoulder ran a long, black trail: the only thing marring the pristine beast.

“You knew him?” Twilight asked in awe.

“Her. And not so much, no. She was a legend even in those times. A dragon that was not openly hostile to those who showed her no hostility; A dragon that did not show even the slightest interest in building a hoard?” Nightmare chuckled. “It was unheard of. Many ventured to her dwelling. Many questioned her about her hoard. None received answers. Few thought to question her about her wings. Of those few even fewer received an answer.”

“But you did,” Twilight stated, her curiosity bubbling up.

Twilight felt her finally relax and sigh, as if resigned to her fate. “Even my memories are susceptible to the passage of time. I cannot recall names or locations, but yes, I can tell you the story which she told me, but whether it is true or not, I cannot say…”

Twilight nudged her. “You’re stalling.”

“Yes, I suppose I am,” Nightmare sighed. “Just… promise me that, when it is finished, you will not make a rash decision.”

“When have you seen me do anything without thinking about it first?”

“Need I remind you why we’re both here?”

“I- that was- hmph! Fine, I’ll think about it first,” Twilight conceded.

Twilight felt Nightmare’s barrel expand; heard the slow release of air from her nose as she settled herself. When she spoke again, her voice was distant, low, and monotone; inflectionless.

--------------------------------------------------------

Even deep within in the forest where I once hunted, I could see it, smell it: the burning of wood, the stench of death. Columns of smoke rising high above the tree line, marring the beauty of the sky, led me to a village nestled just on the northern edge of my forest. There was no panic, as I had expected. No ponies running for water, or their weapons at my approach.

Instead, they lined the roads, eyes wide, forever set to watch their home burn around them. You ponies only provide a satisfying taste when fresh; alive. So I ignored the corpses.

Still, where there are ponies, there are gems and gold. So foolish to use something so precious, so beautiful, as a trade good, though it does make acquiring them much easier for us. I suppose I cannot fault you.

I had finished sifting through the wreckage of my third house when I felt something slip under a scale, pressing against the skin of my neck. I was foolish, careless. I stood silent and still. Had the pony thought it was I who had done this, I would already be dead.

He wanted my help, he’d said. Wanted revenge. He didn’t take my word; he wasn’t stupid. He demanded a pact; wanted the speed of my wings. In return, I would keep anything we found the on the raiders and anything left in the village upon our return. What was I to do? I could already feel the blade slicing my skin with what little pressure he had on it, it would surely cut through easily. I accepted.

I will say one thing: You ponies are quite stout when set on a goal. When the pact was complete, our souls merged, he found himself with only two legs: one hind and one fore on opposite sides. Still, he did not whine like a foal. He climbed upon my back and we set off.

He was a foraging, he told me, when the village had been attacked. He was leagues deep in the forest, unable to assist or die with his kin. Some would call him fortunate. Others would call him a coward. I said nothing; it was unimportant to the task.

For three days we searched. For three days we found nothing. Whatever had raided his village was intelligent enough to cover their tracks and hide their scents. He was wary of me the entire time.

He was right to be. On the fourth day, the search bearing no fruit and wasting time I could have otherwise been using to build my hoard, I betrayed him; devoured him. He knew that I had broken our pact before I even made a move against him, as his missing limbs had been returned. Even so, the emotions filling him from the betrayal only made the delectable taste sweeter.

Only in the morning when made to take my leave did I realize my folly. The pact had been broken; the gods had taken pledge from me. The same runes that marked his missing legs now marred my hide and I knew: I would never again take to the skies.

The forest I spoke of no longer exists; I made sure of that. With nowhere left to hide, those responsible for starting the chain leading to my loss were easily found; easily crushed. I claimed my reward and returned to my hoard.

Everything I had collected over my centuries of life, I burned; melted into slag before bathing myself in it. Why? Perhaps it was anger, or perhaps it was penance. I cannot tell you. I was quite mad.

--------------------------------------------------------

Nightmare finished with a sigh and Twilight felt her lean back against the back of the divan. “That’s it? She didn’t say anything else?"

“Nothing but a few threats to get out of her dwelling before she ate me,” Nightmare chuckled nervously.

“I see… “Twilight mused, turning to bodily face Nightmare. “So all I’d have to do is find some way to have you break our pact…” Locking down her emotions behind a mental barrier, she stepped over Nightmare and placed her forehooves over her shoulders. She grinned, feeling Nightmare’s breathing speed up; at the worry building up through their connection.

“Thank you for telling me how easy it would be to regain my sight,” She continued, her voice low. “But, you are the fool this time.” She pressed her lips firmly against Nightmare’s, smiling as the alicorn’s breath caught. She pulled away, laughing at the confusion filling their connection. “After all you’ve done to help me, after all you’ve taught me, did you really think I’d want you to do that? I know what you pledged; I’d never ask anyone to do that.”

Twilight sighed contentedly, laying her head on Nightmare’s chest as she wrapped her in hooves and wings. They laid there in silence for a while, with Nightmare finally broke it, asking, “What will you do about your sight now?”

“I don’t know. I’ll think of something.”

“And if nothing works?”

“I-“Twilight paused. “At least you’ll still be here, right?”

“Of course.”

PreviousChapters Next