• Published 3rd Sep 2014
  • 7,434 Views, 591 Comments

Full Moon Fever: A MoonLight Prompt Collab - TheLastBrunnenG



Sundown and Midnight, Stars and Moon, Magic and Dark Dreams

  • ...
30
 591
 7,434

PreviousChapters Next
77 Eidolon by Auramane

Eidolon
by Auramane


Twilight ’s head hung low as she numbly made her way through her cell door at the gesture of a guard. She stood just inside the doorway, not moving until she heard the metallic clang of the door swinging shut. Soon afterwards, the hollow clicking sound of the guard’s horseshoes faded into the distance.

Doors thrown open. Walking, eyes to the ground, being directed by her guard. A command, telling him to leave. His swift departure. An order to look up. The green tinged eyes. The slitted pupils.

She took a deep, shuddering breath, and plodded over to her cot. It was little more than a slab of wood with sheets on it, but it was better than the stone floor. She laid down on it and squeezed her eyes shut, trying to forget what had just transpired.

Sharp teeth. Talking. Directions. Laughter.

She hiccuped, burying her face into her covers. It wasn’t fair. Nothing was fair.

She was sobbing, tears streaming down her face. Laughter becoming a roar.

A bright light shone through Twilight’s sheets, through her closed eyelids. She winced, remaining quiet. She expected to hear her door opening, the empty sound of armoured shoes hitting the floor, but none of that came. Instead, she heard a voice she had never expected to hear again.

Blurred vision. More laughter. She was shaking. A pointing hoof. The flick of a tail. A bed.

“Twilight, is that you? came the questioning voice of her former mentor. The one who had picked her to be her student when she was a child. The one who had always stood by her. The one who had promised to save them all.

The one who had failed.

Fear and disgust welling up inside her. Mouth dry. Ears pinned to her head. Running. Caught. She was always caught.

She peaked her head out from her covers, her frozen in place. She gaped at the Apparition before her, unable to say anything, unable to do anything.

More laughter. A blur of movement. Blinding pain. Sobbing. A Bed.

Twilight simply stared numbly. What stood before her wasn’t Celestia. It was a poor imitation at best. She was small, the height of a regular pony. She glowed with a soft, golden light, almost like sunlight.

It had been a long while since she had seen sunlight.

Tears. Wailing. Screaming. Orders. Pain. A Bed.

“Twilight,” said not-Celestia with a sigh of relief. “Oh, my student. You are alive. I don’t believe it. After I failed... I didn’t know what would happen to you.”

Twilight remained silent. She stared at the Apparition, scanning for any imperfections, anything that was out of place.

Black. A tail. A moon. Soft. A Bed.

“Can... can you talk? What did she do to you? Twilight!”

Her voice grew in volume, but Twilight simply stared. She couldn’t find anything. Nothing was wrong. It was a picture perfect Celestia.

Sweating. Eyes squeezing shut. Groaning. Light.

"Is it actually you?" murmured Twilight. Celestia smiled, relief playing across her face. She opened her mouth as if to reply, but before she could begin, Twilight continued, "How can you be here? I—I watched you fall. She knocked you out of the sky! You can't be here!"

Hot. Crumpled sheets. Panting. Sticky.

Celestia winced, and opened her mouth again, trying to speak. Twilight cut her off. "No! You can't be here! If you're here, y-you should have been able to do something. You should have been able to do anything…" Twilight trailed off, looking at the ground. She clenched her jaw and squeezed her eyes shut once again.

Laboured breathing. Gritting teeth. Pressure. Subjugation.

"Twilight, I—" began the Spectre, before she cut herself off. There was an uncomfortable pause between them for a few seconds. Neither moved. After what felt like hours, the Spectre spoke up again. "This wasn't how it was supposed to happen…" She hung her head in an eerie mirror of Twilight herself. "It just… I couldn't…" Her teeth ground against each other, and she squeezed her eyes closed. After a few moments of silence, she let out a hollow chuckle.

"I can't even cry anymore."

Exhausting. Humiliating. Purring. Sobbing. Leaving. The Guard is approaching. Picking her up.

Silence reigned between them again, neither willing to look at the other. Eventually, Twilight spoke again. "You should leave," she said. There was no emotion in her voice, no sadness, no anger.

Nothing.

Celestia flinched. Twilight continued. "It's not like you can do anything. If you could, you would. I'm stuck here. There's no point in her finding you here."

Celestia gaped at her. She shook her head. "No, I won't leave y—"

"Just go!" yelled Twilight, slamming the ground with her hoof. She turned away and stormed back to her cot, facing away from the Apparition.

Nothing happened for a few seconds. Twilight was about to turn back to her, when she heard a choked sob, and the unnatural light left her cell.

She curled up beneath her covers. She should be crying right now. Instead she just felt numb. Bereft. Empty.

Cold.

PreviousChapters Next