• Published 17th Aug 2014
  • 21,292 Views, 2,141 Comments

The Greatest Treasure - Evowizard25



Smaug has a new addition to his treasure trove. Something he's never seen before.

  • ...
58
 2,141
 21,292

PreviousChapters Next
Healing Thoughts

The cold inviting feeling of my hoard did nothing to cease the ever insistent pain I felt. My wounds were worse than I had first thought. I felt filthy, less of a dragon. A simple beast had wounded me so and I had not been able to kill it. No, I had been saved by my treasure. A female horse. I have found another reason to thank my luck that the rest of my kind was dead. I could never live with the shame if other dragons had heard of this tale. Nor would they live another sunset after I was through with them. Thankfully, the only witnesses were that of a servant and my precious jewel. They would live.

I hissed in pain as a surge of her magic ran through me.

For now.

“Stop squirming,” Celestia scolded, having just missed the swing of my tail. “Honestly, I would think a dragon of your caliber could handle a little pain.”

“Pain is fleeting, a wound is final.” I said. “Yet, even something so fleeting can be distracting.”

“Distractions are a part of life, Smaug.” Celestia said, letting her magic flow forth once more over me. “Though, it must have been awhile since you’ve been distracted. Have I truly been that captivating?”

“You are truly the most captivating bad luck charm I have ever had the misfortune to own.” I growled softly when she giggled. Oddly enough, it was a pleasant noise, but the reasoning behind it was what drew some of my ire.

I momentarily glanced at her horn. It was so strange to see a magic user helping another. The only ones I ever had any interaction with either wanted to enslave or kill me. Celestia was neither and thus was far stranger than I had thought her. Her magic was unlike anything I ever felt before. It was soft, comforting, and made me feel safe. I thought it condescending, but I would keep myself silent for now. She was healing me after all.

When she had first cast her magic against the balrog, I had first assumed she’d strike me down as well. Tis logical. With power comes freedom. Within Celestia, there was the potential for such great power. Even then, when her magic blazed, I pondered its true depths. Could it slay me? Most likely not. I am Smaug, no spell can destroy me, especially that of fire. Still, she could have left…

“Is something troubling you, master?” Thrush spoke.

I growled deeply, causing the infernal bird to cower within my jewel’s mane. I had half a mind to scold the bird. I was not in the mood for interruptions, nor did I like to see him messing my jewels’ mane in such a manner. “Is something troubling me? Oh Thrush, nothing can ever ‘trouble’ a dragon. Wherever did you get such an idea?

“Now, now,” Celestia chided me. The gall of her! “He was just asking about your well being. That is no reason to turn your aggression towards him.”

“That was not aggression. It was merely irritation. I have shown you well and good enough what happens to those who anger me.”

“Yes you did,” Celestia replied, never taking her gaze off my wounds. “Which ended with you in my care.”

The nerve. THE NERVE! This creature, my own possession, was talking back to me? After I had saved her life? Oh that is gratitude for you. “Thrush,” my voice filled with venom. More so than it had been in a long time. “Leave us.”

“Yes master,” the Thrush quickly took to the air. However, he paused to look at MY precious jewel. “I’m sorry that our tour was cut short.”

“As am I,” Celestia gave him a warm smile, something I knew that little feather-brain did not deserve. “I rather enjoyed it.” Thankfully, Thrush left quickly enough before I grew ‘tired’ of him for the last time. Celestia’s frown left her when she gazed upon me. “Are you going to let yourself fester, or are you going to ask me?”

“I will ask you nothing,” I snorted, turning my head away from her. “My curiosity was sated ages ago. I know more than Elven Elders who cower in their forest, far from my wrath. Why would I ever ask you anything when I already know everything?”

“Then, pray tell, why are you angry? It is surely not from the pain. My magic has done its best to ease it.”

“It is not the pain!” My voice resounded about us. “The wounds of flesh are meaningless. I have survived far worse than that insufferable Balrog!”

“Then it is your pride that was damaged, I take it.” Celestia sighed when fire licked my lips. “Smaug-”

“MY PRIDE HAS SUFFERED NOTHING!” I wheeled around to face her, ending with our snouts nearly touching as I glared. “That balrog could not defeat a true dragon such as I. It was a weak, pitiful abomination that only a pathetic mongrel such as Sauron could make. Does he believe that my hide can be pierced? Does he believe that my talons are dull? Does he not fear my flame? NO! He is the epitome of idiocy and his beast showed it!”

“That ‘beast’ nearly killed you,” Celestia responded. Her tone was miffed at best, but she was amazingly still. Most other creatures would be recoiling in fear at being so near me.

“I can never die!” I shouted stronger than I had just before. My rage was consuming me. I wanted to devour this impudent creature. Yet, I could not. Just looking into her eyes gave me a sense of ease that I had never seen before. One might wonder how a being can truly be mad at something so pure. My rage, however diminished, was still strong. “I am Smaug, the Terrible. King under the Mountain. An army could not even begin to dream of slaying me. A simple daemon has no chance against the might I hold.”

“Your overconfidence will be your downfall if you continue to let it guide you.”

“And you’re kind heart will be yours.” I shot back.

“Kindness can be the best medicine,” Celestia retorted.

“With strength, you need not worry about ‘medicine’. I have an abundance of that. Strength can carry you far in this world. Only the strong survive.” I had learned that the hard way so many times in my youth, but I would not share such times with my precious jewel. I would keep her in the dark, where she belonged.

“Strength alone cannot win wars.”

“Is your whole world so naive as to believe that?” I chuckled darkly. Celestia didn’t say anything. “Well? Answer me!” Again, she said nothing. “I will not play this childish game with you. If you do not wish to speak, then so be it.” I settled down, facing away from the insufferable equine.

How dare she disrespect me? How dare she?!! I was her master. I was her king! She should be groveling before my wings… Yet, she did not. Instead, she kept her magic running over my body, soothing my aches and pains and sealing my wounds. Again, I wondered how much magic she still held in that body. Obviously with how ragged she is, she’s using every ounce of her magic to heal me. I wanted to ask her something. I didn’t want to play into her hooves, but my curiosity got the better of me. Perhaps it was just my way of killing the silence. I don’t think that’s so, since I have lived in silence for so long.

“Why?”

“Pardon?” Celestia asked.

“Why didn’t you run?” I turned an eye to her. “You could have easily escaped while I was dealing with that pest, yet you stayed.”

“I couldn’t very well let you die,” Celestia giggled at my snort.

“I would have,” I lamented. “I have imprisoned you. Bound you to me. You have every ‘right’ to hate me, to wish me dead. Yet, you chose to save me. A dragon? What is your goal? If it is my riches, then you are most certainly mistaken, my precious jewel. I will not part with even a single coin, not even to my own possessions.”

“I do not want your gold,” Celestia shook her head. “I only wish to see you in good health.”

I narrowed my eyes in suspicious. “Really? You wish me good health?”

“I do,” Celestia nodded, giving me a small smile.

“Why?”

“I can never with a clear conscious leave another being to die,” Celestia said. “You are a living creature, the same as I. Your heart may be black, but there is a glimmer of light in there. I wish to see it one day.”

“Then you will be waiting for an eternity,” I growled.

“We’ll see,” Celestia chuckled. “Besides, I’ve come to think of you as a sort of friend.”

“Pure naivety,” I rolled my eyes and she chuckled louder.

“Now stop being a silly dragon and stay still,” Celestia playfully swatted my wing. “Using magic on a dragon is tricky business.”

Tis true, since we are immune to most magics. It seems Equestrian magic, while still holding some principle to this realms, was far more flexible. Even though my scales itched slightly with the contact, I wasn’t entirely resisting it. Perhaps I could if I concentrated, but I didn’t need to test it out right now. I was content and I was going to stay this way.

__________________________________________________________________________

Dreadful business this was. It all truly was deplorable.

Tis not the town I speak of. No, the town is rotten to the core, but this was not my business. The people of Lake Town did indeed hold a savior within their ranks. If only the others had the courage to aid him. Perhaps I could give him a push, but that was for later. Now I had more pressing concerns.

As usual when I am contemplating something, I was sitting in a small pub. The name escapes me. It doesn’t matter. My pipe matters. The smoke helped clear my head as I pondered what most would not even dare to ponder. Such is my life. This is why I carried so much of the stuff. I am a very curious wizard through no fault of my own. The world just held so many wonders.

Like the Lonely Mountain.

Yes, for a while now I had sensed something strange going on about the place. A powerful magic had been cast. This did not bode well. My plans would need to be hastened if the dwarves were to secure their mountain. I had no time to lose. I needed to get them now.

I didn’t move. Not a muscle. Odd, but again the magic intrigued me. For a moment, I had sensed such evil within the mountain like I had not sensed in a long time. Then it vanished. In its place was something akin to a small sun. It was so light and warm, filling me with a giddy sort of feeling. This was not the work of a warlock, or any sort of trickery. Something far more fascinating was happening there and I wanted to know who and what caused it.

I needed warriors. I needed the rightful king of the mountain.

I needed a burglar.

“Mister?”

The voice was so sweet and innocent that I had to give her a glance. Taking out my pipe, I saw a little girl. With a bit of magic, my smoke was out. While I adored smoking, it was not good for the young. “Yes?”

“Are you a wizard?” She asked in a way only a child could.

I chuckled. Children were always so straight and to the point. If only more adults were like them. “Whatever gives you that idea?”

“You look like a wizard,” she glanced at my attire. “You have a staff, a pointy hat, and a robe. You’re a wizard.”

“Child, you must never come to a conclusion based on appearances alone.” I said. “Appearances can be misleading.”

“So you’re not a wizard?” She seemed to deflate at that.

I frowned. “I never said I wasn’t, dear child. Merely, I wish to part with you a piece of advice. With that said, I am indeed a wizard.”

She gasped, smiling ever so brightly I thought she was a small star. “Can you do a magic trick? Can you? Can you?” She seemed to be jumping up and down in joy.

I know I shouldn’t use my magic in such a way. It is degrading, but who am I to deny a child’s wish. Taking in a spoon in my hand, I cupped my other around it. With nary any effort, I opened it again. Inside my hands was a small butterfly hairclip. “A good luck charm.”

She squealed and took it into her hands.”Thank you. I’ll wear it always.” She quickly pinned it into her hair.

“Tilda?” A roguish man walked in.

It’s funny how heroes seem to find their way to me. Or I to them. Hmm, perhaps I am just lucky I suppose.

“Daddy,” the girl ran up and showed off her hairclip. “Look. The wizard gave me this. Isn’t it great?”

“It is very charming,” he ruffled her hair. He then glanced at me. “I hope she wasn’t troublesome.”

“Not at all. It is comforting to see such a bright, young girl in a place like this.”

The man sighed. “Tis true. She is a comfort in these troubling times,” he tipped his head. “My name is Bard, the towns bargeman and you are?”

“I have been known by many names, most of which aren’t for the faint of heart.” I chuckled. Fighting trolls and goblins can often lead to that. “But you can simply call me, Gandalf.”

Author's Note:

I am ever sorry for the delay and I really hope this chapter is up to par with the rest.

Hope you enjoy and please leave a comment.

PreviousChapters Next