• Published 11th Aug 2014
  • 3,756 Views, 199 Comments

Not another Pony on Earth - Admiral Biscuit



A collection of short stories about ponies on Earth

  • ...
12
 199
 3,756

Simon and Twilight: Arrested with Twilight

Not Another Pony on Earth
Arrested with Twilight
Admiral Biscuit

“What does that sign mean, Simon?”

“Huh?” I glanced back to see where Twilight was pointing, before looking back to the road. “It means hospital. That's a place where people go when they're sick.”

“I know what a hospital is, thank you very much,” she huffed. “Ponyville isn't a primitive town.”

No internet, no cable tv, and no cars? And you say it isn't primitive. “Of course not,” I reassured her.

“I know what you're thinking,” she muttered. A moment later all the coins in my ashtray began to float up towards the windshield. “Can you primitive humans do that?”

“We've been over this,” I muttered. “Again and again. Humans don't have magic.”

“But I watched a documentary with Criss Angel, and—“

“That wasn't a documentary.” I sighed, and glanced in the rearview mirror to make sure it was safe to change lanes. “That's all show. He can't really levitate.”

“I can,” Twilight said brightly. “I know gravity spells. Maybe if you'd let me, we could—“

“No!” I looked at her in the mirror. “The world isn't ready for you yet. In fact, we really shouldn't be out in public like this. If something happened . . . well, and someone saw you—someone else—there would be all sorts of issues to deal with.” I ought to know; I was the one who had a purple terror materialize in his living room for no reason whatsoever. I mean, of the seven billion living rooms she could have appeared in, why mine? “I'm not cut out to handle this kind of thing. I'm a college dropout who smokes too much pot and works a boring job at a web hosting company. I'm hardly qualified to introduce an alien ambassador to Earth.”

“You're no fun,” she muttered, and looked back out the window at the scenery flying by. “Gah, I can't believe I said that. I must sound like Pinkie Pie.”

“Is that the one who boasts about her Sonic Rainboom?”

I interpreted the brief silence which followed as an eyeroll. Despite her complete . . . well, alienness, I'd actually managed to figure out nearly half of Twilight's habitual expressions, and the eyeroll was high on the list. It was hardly my fault; nobody had said there was going to be a test, and I was way to busy freaking out about the talking flying unicorn which had suddenly determined that I was a gateway to interstellar friendship or whatever she'd said when she first arrived.

“She's an Earth pony; she can't fly. Rainbow Dash is the one who does the Rainboom. Really, Simon, how you manage to confuse ponies like you do is beyond me.”

Brake lights flashed in front of me, and I flicked the cruise off and tapped on my brake pedal to signal the car behind me. “They just sound so weird.”

“I am so going to make you a chart,” she mumbled. “Why does that car have a bar on its roof and a big sign on the side? Is it a contractor's car?”

“It's a cop car,” I told her.

“What's a cop?”

“They enforce the laws. A policeman—ah, policepony? You do have those, right?”

“We have the Royal Guard, which defends Equestria from threats. My brother is captain of the Guard,” she said proudly.

“Do they stop muggings and purse-snatchings, and solve murders?”

“I . . . guess so? We don't really have those in Equestria.”

“Aha!” I took my eyes off the road to glare at her. “You know what those are, so you must have them in Equestria, despite your desire to have me believe that you live in a perfect society.”

“Your television had been very informative. I watched three hours of a documentary called Law and Order which explained in great detail how your legal system works."

Yeah. Law and Order. That's just the kind of thing that will make a good impression on a foreign diplomat. Self, why did you teach her how to work a TV remote?

Because you were stoned, idiot.

Oh yeah, right.

“That's not a documentary, Twilight. Most of TV isn't. It's a bunch of actors putting on a play . . . you do have plays, right?”

“We have pageants. Are plays where somepony dresses up and pretends to be somepony else, to teach a moral to foals and adults who still think like foals?”

“That's essentially it.” I tapped the turn signal stalk briefly before merging in front of a Freightliner. “I suppose they have morals.”

“I played Clover the Clever in Canterlot,” Twilight said proudly.

“Of course you did.” I looked back in the rearview mirror just in time to see the Crown Vic slide neatly behind me. I kept nervously looking back as I repeated the driver's mantra: Keep driving keep driving keep driving. Every automotive sin I'd committed in the past few miles was replaying itself in my head as I debated if he'd noticed when I was 5 mph over the speed limit, or if he'd seen my halfassed stop back in town.

Like always, it didn't work. He slowed and then accelerated, and just as he got on the throttle, he lit up the overheads.

My foot was halfway to the accelerator pedal before my rational brain informed if of the folly of that choice. A Ford Escort with two hundred thousand on the odometer was no racehorse.

I turned on the hazard flashers and took a deep breath, wracking my brain to remember if I'd put the most recent insurance certificate in my glove box. I was pretty sure there weren't any warrants out for me, but those had a habit of sneaking up on a person.

As I headed towards the shoulder, I looked back in the mirror, and he was still there, big as life. Too late I remembered that the right turn signal didn't work, so maybe he was just going to give me a warning for changing lanes without signalling. If I acted properly apologetic, he'd just let me go . . . unless he saw the winged unicorn in the back seat, of course. Who talked. That was something I wasn't going to be able to explain away.

“In your research,” I began, “did you learn a, ah, spell which would allow you to look like a human?”

“Yes?”

“Use it.”

“Why should—“

I turned my head and looked her right in the eye. “I will tell you all about it later. After Officer Friendly has gone on his way. But for now, I need you to do your spell. Believe me, things will go much more smoothly if you do.”

“Okay. I trust you, Simon.”

I looked back forward just in time to only catch a slight purple flash in the corner of my eye, then I was distracted by the slowing brrt brrrrt brrrrrrrt of the rumble strips on the shoulder.

“Crash course, Twilight.” I snatched open the glove box and began frantically searching for the important papers among the chaos of unimportant papers. “Don't volunteer information, and tell him as little as possibile, and only in response to a specific question. If you pretend to be asleep, that might make things go more smoothly.”

“Got it.” Her voice was a little different, no doubt as a result of her spell. “I'm already cold. I don't know how you humans—“

“Keep your mouth shut,” I advised as I rolled down my window. “Unless he asks.” I kept my hands on the steering wheel, so he could see them. I was totally focused in the image in my mirror, and I watched how he was acting as he swaggered towards my door. Sir, do you know why I pulled you over? I was already mulling over a response in my head, but he surprised me by stopping short of my window and taking an aggressive stance.

“Ma'am, how old are you?”

“I'm a guy,” I mumbled. “I know the long hair might be confusing, but—“

“I wasn't talking to you.” He glanced into the car.

“Well, by your reckoning, fifteen,” Twilight said brightly. “I'm much smarter than an average fifteen-year-old, though. I was a student at Celestia's School for, um. . .”

As she spoke, I instinctively turned my head to look at her, and as quickly looked away. Her transformation had been perfect . . . which was obvious, since she'd neglected to include a single stitch of clothing.

“Sir, put your hands outside the vehicle, where I can see them.”

Wordlessly, I complied.

Author's Note:

I had this idea as I was driving back from Baltimore today.

Stay tuned; more stories will be added to the collection.